Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

'Backyard' Camping Prep

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse
    Duration: Year and a Day

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

Daniel's previous preparation had been fairly haphazard. Part of it was any trip he made into the Hedge was supposed to be a short one and part of it was he normally had someone who was much more experienced along so he had always sort of trusted they'd help the group get through if things went wrong. However, with his appointment that was going to have to change since he was going to be the 'experienced one' eventually. It probably was something he should have changed anyway but the part of him that was reluctant to go into the Thorns kept convincing him he could procrastinate. Yet this was going to be his job and even if it weren't going into the 'backyard' was a reality of being a Changeling.

That was why he'd been doing research. But knowledge only got you so far. Things became a lot easier if you had gear. He'd come up with a list of things to get. Wandering through the aisles of Sacramento's REI store now he was starting to feel overwhelmed. There was just so much stuff and the temptation to buy the coolest, most expensive product was strong. He did his best to resist. Of course there was always the excuse that he could buy stuff to stock up Winter's stores.

He was tempted to ask a store associate for help but didn't. Asking about the advantages or disadvantages of a Lifestraw versus a filter, while also trying to talk around whether it could purify possibly magical spring water in a way that would keep you from transforming into a frog... he didn't see that conversation taking place. Plus, with the recent changes to his mein he'd found it harder to flag down staff like sales people and waiters. Even with the Mask, he was somehow less there and easier to see through.

Looking over clothing, he took a couple reinforced jackets off their hangers to try on. As far as armor went it was better than nothing. Maybe he'd check out the sports equipment. Walking through the Hedge in hockey pads may look silly (especially on Daniel's frame) but it'd offer more protection. Though maybe it would slow him down too much. Weight was a factor too.

He put the jackets in his cart anyway as 'maybe' items and moved on for now.

Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

2. Likes Forn Clakes, Cayce liked this post
    S
    Starfyre

It had taken Emily a lot longer than the hour google maps had suggested it would take to use public transportation and her own two feet to get to the retail sports clothing store the bar-back had suggested. She had gotten used to ordering fencing equipment off the internet, but thought she could give a sports store a chance. Plus the bar-back had been pretty adamant that REI had everything you could want for sports. He seemed shocked when she asked for a sporting goods store, but eager to help her out and even offered a ride. Emily declined, still trying to get the hang of public transportation around the city.

She walked up and down the aisles of the store looking for fencing equipment, but the entire store seemed to be geared towards camping not any type of recreational sport she was used to. She slipped through the store avoiding the clerks and hiding in the background with the other shoppers. She was fairly sure that she had just missed the actual sports equipment and if they weren't there she didn't want to get upsold to something else "that would work".

As she made her way around the store she nearly bumped into a young man, deciding she might be able to at least find out if she was wasting her time she tried to ask him for his assistance. With a coy smile she addressed the young man. "Excuse me, have you seen anything for fencing in this store? My friend said this was a sports store, but it doesn't look like it has my sport."

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Rigid Mask
    Will/Health/Glamour

Promises and Vows

Horn and Bone

PRE

“Probably with the hockey stuff around… Oh,” he finished with understated surprise when he turned and saw who the hauntingly beautiful voice belonged to.

“Sorry. Daniel Leto,” he introduced himself more properly “I was looking for hockey or football pads but all they seem to have is climbing and biking gear. I haven’t seen any fencing stuff.”

The fog from his mantle floated and mixed curiously with her misty counterpart. Where the Gravewight’s drifted, it obscured her features slightly.

“But,” he added with a friendly smile as he calmly pulled out his phone and began typing “I know someone who fences. We’re in the same club together. She might know where you can get equipment.” The Darkling finished expertly typing and sent off the text before looking back up with an unruffled expression.

“You new in town?” he asked casually. They were outside Freehold borders. It was possible she lived here.
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4

5. Likes Forn Clakes, Cayce liked this post
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

It was almost disturbing how the Wyrd would sometimes flow, guiding the Lost together like the convergence of streams, or whether it was more akin to the attraction of magnets. Or, perhaps it utterly defied such simplistic metaphors. Perhaps it was a metaphysical force which demanded its own vocabulary, entirely. Or, perhaps it was merely a part of their psyches. An attunement to all those seemingly insignificant patterns which emerged all around them, from the angle of a falling leaf, or the cant of a shadow, to a snatch of conversation overheard when passing strangers on the sidewalk. Perhaps they understood such seemingly esoteric signs far, far better than they imagined, and thus that was why Coco found herself only a short, block long dash away from the REI Daniel had indicated.

Truthfully, that was what Coco suspected. After all, she knew that such readings of the environment could be stretched. That amalgamations of all sorts of extraneous details could be susses together and read as omens of what was to come, or what could be.

She would have to delve deeper into that practice, but for now Coco had a new adventure before her, that of discovering a new companion, and discovering more about a companion already met.

Popping in through the front door, dressed in yoga pants, a windbreaker, and with her gym bag over her shoulder, Coco began to prowl down the aisles, eyes keen and antennae perked up for the other fae...

Starfyre , please also check out this post: http://nwod.org/forum/showthread.php...427#post439427 and using that code to help immersion when you post
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

7. Likes Forn Clakes liked this post
    S
    Starfyre

Emily Grimm
    Newly Lost in Sacramento

Admitting I misconstrued Rigid Mask with "strengthening the mask" by spending glamour. The new person fumbling all over themselves.

Emily felt more than a little foolish, she all but snuck up on another changeling and jumped out and said "surprise I want to buy a weapon to stab you with". Her inner monologue quickly admonisher her for the faux pas. "Idiot, stupid, way to garner some good will". At that moment she really wanted to fade into the background and drift away.

However, the young man didn't seem startled, didn't seem confrontational, and actually just seemed pleasant and took it in stride. "Hello Daniel Leto, I'm Emily Grimm and yes brand new to the area". She was puzzled about the equipment comment. "Is your club starting a hockey and football team?" and realizing she might be able to learn more about the local freehold she added "And are they accepting applications? I haven't found a club in the area."

She tried to step back and give the other changeling his space and give her the opportunity to slip into the racks of clothes and gear if things started to turn south. Her thoughts drifted towards the similarity and differences in their mantles. His seemed to obscure everything and carried with it more mist and fog, while hers slightly fogged the area around her skin making her own glowing metal and curves stand out against it.

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Status/Social

Rigid Mask
    Will/Health/Glamour

Promises and Vows

Horn and Bone

PRE

"Oh, well, kinda…” he couldn’t really come out and say he’d been appointed a Ranger here but he’d give it a go “I got asked to join a team that plays in the Park. It kind of seemed more like something for people with anger management issues but it got explained that they could use a sneaky, creepy guy like me, so eventually I said yes. But it’s still a high impact sport, so… looking for pads.” He gave a sheepish half smile and shrug. “Sorry, I know I’m not explaining it too well.” Doublespeak only got you so far.

“Applications for the team, you’d have to talk with Ramona. If there’s a head of anger management, that’s her. She can be slow to warn up to people, though. She’d probably want to know you better before giving you a position.” Again a shrug and smile that whispered of sadness.

“The club on the other hand is always looking for new members. If you’d like I can – Coco!” Daniel interrupted his own train of thought as he saw the Wasp elegantly stalking the shelves nearby. He waved a friendly, pale, see-through hand; hoping she’d notice.

He both relaxed and tensed that she’d arrived. On the one hand it was good to have another Freeholder around in case things went south. On the other… she was Coco.

"This is the friend I was talking about. Coco, this is Emily Grimm. Emily, this is Cosima Tascioni, best fencer in the club."

10. Likes Forn Clakes, Cayce liked this post
    L

Daniel may have found himself a bit overwhelmed shopping here, Rick did not. It was fairly obvious at a glance that he knew exactly what he was looking for on his little resupply run, and exactly where it was in the store. Apparently he'd been here before. Something that probably wouldn't be much of a surprise to any Freeholders that knew him even passingly well.

In no time at all he'd acquired a nice little cache of supplies. And then the telltale glimmer of mantles caught his eye. Coco, Daniel...and someone who he didn't recognize, wrapped in a dusting of Winter's favor.

So he decided to say hello, and caught the tail end of the conversation as he approached. "He's absolutely right, I haven't seen them turn a new face away in all the time I've been here." Which was...quite a while by now, he supposed. With the absence of Katrin and Betony now, that left Terri as the only Freeholder who'd arrived in Sacramento before him. That was the part about the departure of the previous Sovereigns that still felt strange to him.

"I'm Rick, by the way."

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Daniel!" Coco cried cheerfully, trotting up now that she had found her friend amidst the forest of shelves and racks.

"Oh my, look at you,"
    she added when she came closer, realizing that, no, his mantle hadn't been playing a trick on her. He really was partially transparent, like fogged glass.

"Well that is certainly a change, though you look well, besides. And hello, Rick," Coco added, turning to the confident autumn courtier and giving a cheery wave.

"You're part of the welcoming committee, I see. Well good! I'm glad we're all here to meet you, Miss Grimm," the wasp cheerfully continued, turning and extending a hand to the metallic beauty.

"A pleasure, truly. And you fence? My my, I'll have to be sure to test your mettle, sometime."

The Wasp's smile curled outward, irrepressible and impish as she awaited the newcomers response.
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Starfyre

Emily Grimm
    Newly Lost in Sacramento

Emily kept calm as Daniel yelled for someone to join them. Her eyes slowly moved to intercept the new comer just as another joined them. Emily tried not to be a paranoid sort, but it was hard to keep it all in check considering there actually were things out to get her. That slight paranoia was probably why she liked to control when she was the center of attention and when she could just provide ambience to a situation. Here, she had no control and was partially thrust into the center of attention being the new person.

She took a quiet breath and offered her hand in greeting both to the confident stormy man and then the mischevious girl with the antennae. "Pleasure to meet you both. Is this store a Club greeting place, or just serendipitous? I'm happy to hear the club is open to membership. I look forward to hearing about the process and where to turn in my application." Emily gave them a friendly smile, although even her friendly smile usually contained some flirtatious intent.

"As far as my fencing, I've been practicing since I made it back from a very dreadful trip that I'm sure we've all had. My last instructor said I had finally learned enough to be dangerous, but she wasn't sure who I was dangerous to."

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Status/Social

Rigid Mask
    Will/Health/Glamour

Promises and Vows

Horn and Bone

PRE

“Hey Rick,” Daniel greeted the Windwing as he approached self-assuredly. “Getting ready for a trip to the Park too?” he asked, already pretty sure of the answer. The Autumn might not be a Freehold Ranger but he was still the Ranger to his court.

“And yeah,” he added to Coco comment “Just sort of woke up one day and decided to change my look. Just a spontaneous thing. Not sure why.” His paleness made it hard to tell but he might be blushing. Either that or he was uncomfortable with the fact the he was suddenly not entirely there any more. He shrugged and moved on.

Daniel sensed Emily might be feeling a little uncomfortable now that it was three against one. He took a casual step back, almost unconsciously, yet still deliberate.

“No, just coincidence.” Though he had texted Coco with hopes that she’d come. Though the speed of her arrival was certainly unusual. The Wyrd would have its way. “The next time I know applications will definitely be accepted will be next month at a Club called the Forge. It’s a rowdy place that likes to play angry music but it’s still alright.”

15. Likes Cayce liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread