The night is bright tonight, but still a few clouds sweep in from the ocean across the sky. The nearly full moon shines overhead. David looks up to the moon, and bows his head in submission, murmuring a soft prayer.

"Artemis,
Bless your minor servant
Turn aside your face,
that I may do your work
Let my bow strike true
to bring down my prey"

He proceeds along the night, looking for prey. The hunger has come again, and so he will eat. There is nothing unnatural or damned, for vampires to feed on humans is like humans feed on cattle, like cattle feed on grass, like grass feed on dust. He looks at the young couple, blissful and in love, and passes by. He sees an old couple, spiteful and bitter to each other. And then he hears it. The wet crack of bone being broken. He follows quickly, sussing out where the sound came from, and comes across two men. One, tall, muscular, a fine specimen. He holds a metal bat in his hand, tapping it against his other hand as he talks to the other man. He is small, weak, and clutching his arm to his body, the wrist bent at an unnatural angle. The light of the moon is clear, and he can see some tattoos on both men. Gangs perhaps? Or just personal business? The tall one walks away, leaving the broken one to slump into the alley.

A passing cloud covers the moon.

When it clears, the broken one is unconscious, his neck free of blemish, his skin pale.

"Thank you Sanjna-Chhaya
And thank you Artemis
Your humble servant rejoices in your favor
As Alexander brought you to see each other,
May you continue to hunt together,
and allow me to follow in your train.
I am grateful for your gift."
The pagan murmurs, his gaze skyward, his tongue licking the last of the delicious blood clean from his teeth. Every drop is to be savored, every drop is important.

David pricks his finger, and lets two drops spill at the exit of the alleyway, one in the shadow, and one in the moonlight.