Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Kenneth entered one of the private rooms. Like a servant, he held the door for Robert to come in, but once Cross had crossed the threshold the door snapped shut like a trap.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Cross follows Gilroy to the private room, more wary than curious. He notes the central cluster of Stiffs that have his beast tying itself in knots and sets his teeth, focuses on walking so as not to run. He doesn't have much time to consider who might be who among them though, because now he's entering the room. And the fact that he's doing so before his Priscus does sets alarm bells off. Something is not right here.

And then the door snaps shut, a sound Cross knows well from his time on the force. It's the sound of a superior who is not pleased. He turns to face Gilroy now that they're alone, "What can I help you with, Doctor?" Face expressionless as always. Let's get on with it then—whatever it might be.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Anger. It was an instinct Kenneth knew well. Fifty years he’d felt the lesser mind screaming at him. How could he not? Yet for all that time, the lesser mind remained just that. Lesser. Anger served as little purpose to a worm like Gilroy as fear. Both had to be controlled as much as possible.

But now… Now was different. Kenneth hated to admit it but now the anger had to be channeled. He had explained things logically and rationally and it had turned around and bit his hand. And as much as Gilroy would have liked to just let it slide, Kindred society demanded a response. The Beast demanded blood. Kenneth would mitigate what he could, but the anger had to be there.

Was there.

“Do you remember what I said when I acknowledged you Mr. Cross?” the snake hissed, turning on Cross “If you had some disagreement with me I expected to have it handled privately. Yet, you’re flippant attitude displays clearly enough that you don’t view me as fit to be Whip, much less Priscus. So, I must assume you forgot that little detail of our conversation. Unfortunately, that makes me question, are you an idiot Mr. Cross? I had thought you more intelligent than that, but if that detail of our conversation slipped your mind so easily how can I be sure? If that is how you would like me to treat you though, I’ll be happy to oblige. Is that how you’d like me handle you Mr. Cross? As a simpleton?”
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

It's funny how anger works on 'people.' Where some spend years controlling it, others spend years riding the wave, more or less purposefully. One way or another, both end up shaped, almost entirely, by the emotion. Cross, however, would not call anger the 'lesser mind.' It's the only mind he knows, and he knows how to handle it. When he has to. He watches the raging worm with flat, blue eyes, examines him closely. After all, this is what Cross had wanted.

At Gilroy's closing taunts about his intelligence, a wry smile tugs, just barely, at the corner of his lips. "No one's ever accused me of being smart, Doctor." Any trace of the smile disappears, "But, there are reasons for doing things that even 'simpletons' can understand." He steps closer to the Doctor now, foreshortening the unbreathing space between them, making things more intimate, "I remember out conversation very well. But maybe I wanted to find something out."

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

"Then... you... ask," Kenneth stated pointedly. So this was all to get a reaction? The man was an idiot. Either that or had a death wish. Whatever the case he couldn't back down. "You do not insult those in power. It is dangerous." It was Kenneth's turn to lean in closer. His necked snapped as he tilted it to one side. His unblinking eyes seemed almost lidless as the viper examined the scars on Cross's face. The disgust made it easy to forget most of the time, but at this distance it became much clearer that though Kenneth may be vermin, he was still a predator. A worm with teeth, a spider with venom.

"Or perhaps you do not think me dangerous. Maybe you think that as a doctor of biology I don't know how best to dissolve your flesh and Blood. Or that my knowledge of chemistry somehow failed to impart how to create compounds that create lots of heat under the right circumstances. And you would be partly correct. I am loath to resort to such measures. I am not someone who enjoys killing and I avoid it, especially against Family. It's unproductive in the larger scheme of things.

Kenneth smiled, incisors glistened at the close distance and his skin had an almost slimy sickly sheen to it. But rest assured Mr. Cross, I have killed Kindred far more powerful than you. Do not push me."

Gilroy backed off then. Robert might still not believe him but that would be his error. After all, it was very hard to find an obfuscated incendiary device.

"You are still my Clan, Mr. Cross. That is something I accept and something you must accept. You will keep to my expectations and if you question my leadership publicly again I will see you punished. Do not play the fool again. This is your warning." It would be Robert's only one. The Danse was no place for imbeciles. One mistake Gilroy could tolerate (even this soon after arrival) but more would indicate a pattern and that was a risk Gilroy couldn't take, no matter how practical Robert's skills might be.

"Now, you will tell what your problem is with me and answer why I should allow you to stay in the Elysium. If I can not trust you to exercise sound judgement when dealing with your own Priscus, how am I supposed to allow you gallivant through court?"
    Mask of Tranquility

6. Likes liked this post

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

As Gilroy begins to make his threats, something approaching actual respect for his Priscus takes root in Cross. This is what he had been looking for: the true face of the worm. The terrible face. It's a relief. Cross is on familiar, though obviously dangerous, ground here. The insinuations of final death by incineration are an especially nice touch. Cross really couldn't have done it any better. And beyond that touch of admiration is actual fear: he believes Gilroy. His respect grows. Thank Christ the scholar has some fangs. Still, he is outwardly unmoved: this is not the first time he's been threatened after all. And it won't be the last, unless the Doctor decides that tonight is the night to reduce him to ash. As Gilroy puts a little distance between them again, Cross stays where he is, opening his arms, palms out, in a conciliatory gesture as if to say I have nothing to hide. Now is the most crucial and fraught moment, the one where the worm turns. Or doesn't: "Let me start by apologizing, officially, Doctor. There are some things that can't be found out by asking. Like the character and quality of leadership. You have to see them with your own eyes." He shakes his head ruefully, "That was the aim of my maneuver. Calculated dis-respect. I see now that it was stupid. Like I said, no one's ever accused me of being smart."

"Still," he continues, "I managed to find what I was looking for and that's proof. Proof that you are more than some scholar who fumbled his way into leadership of our clan during thin times." Cross says this sincerely, even if deep down he's still not entirely convinced, which doesn't really matter: there's fire enough to work with in Gilroy and he's satisfied with that. "I'm only thinking about the family. We're growing in numbers in the city, you said it yourself when we first met. Thanks to strays like me. It's a real chance to do something big here, to secure real power for our Blood. But even after our meeting, you were still an unknown quantity to me. That was my problem with you. And that's not a problem anymore. No matter how half-assed my play was, at least it showed me that much." He pauses, letting his words sink in. Hoping they touch something in Gilroy on whatever level, maybe even make sense: "I admit, it was stupid. But it worked. And you might say it presents another opportunity, one that can only be seized if you keep me around. Get rid of me outright and you prove you have control over the clan. Fair enough." He shrugs, "But, reprimand me properly while keeping me around and, when we leave this room, you prove you're in control and maintain an ally who is as dedicated as you to the success of our Family in Sacramento. One who will provide you with support in any number of matters, sensitive and ...not so sensitive." That was it, Cross's pitch. He shuts his dumb trap and lets his Priscus take the lead and the chips fall where they may.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Kenneth gave a derisive exhalation through his nose. It was almost a laugh but the condescension was apparent. Being looked down on by an insect like Gilroy could be galling.

“That,” said Kenneth “Is not enough.”

“You have not met the Prince or any other court official and know nothing of how they came to power but you would have been killed if you treated them as you have me. Ignorance is no excuse, Mr. Cross. You knew I was your Priscus and that should have been all that was required.” Kenneth stood as straight as his habitually hunched back would allow.

“You have appeared at the Official Court as is required of you by law and you are hereby dismissed. You will leave the Elysium upon exiting this room.” It was a light punishment. No banishment to the Barrens, or exile from the Domain. Just the denial of the chance to socialize and forwarding whatever agenda Robert had. Not to mention loss of face for having to leave early. So maybe not so light a punishment. It still left room to be the ally Robert professed to want to be.

However, Kenneth couldn’t allow what amounted to a sarcastic wild card to roam free. It was a danger to Gilroy, the Clan, and (oddly enough) Cross. The worm doubted if Robert would see this as an effort to keep the scarred man safe, though. One more chance to prove he could handle being a part of Kindred society without a Sire to guide or shield him.
    Mask of Tranquility

9. Likes , Wod.Infant liked this post

Cross blinks slowly as he absorbs the Priscus' command. Other than that blink, he doesn't move: full system reboot. This moment of dissociation is all that keeps Cross in control, all that keeps the beast at bay. He thinks of his father, he thinks of his superiors on the force, he thinks of Vic, all the men who have delivered him punishment over the years. He is angry, so angry, but it is unclear whether that anger aims more at Gilroy, those others, or himself.

No, it is clear: Cross has fucked up and he knows it. He will not forget and it will be a long time before he forgives himself.

He draws himself to attention with a "Yes, Priscus" by way of an acknowledgement of Gilroy's order. "You know how to reach me if you need me." With that he falls silent, waiting for Gilroy to dismiss him.

11. Likes , Benji, Wod.Infant liked this post
    Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

No protestation. That was good. Robert still remained hard to read. It was possible he was furious, but the burned man hid it well. It denied Kenneth data but at least it showed Cross could control his tongue when required. The watching would have to continue and if the angry viper was what what was required to control Cross then a change in approach would be required. For now, Kenneth already felt mentally exhausted by the display and there was still much of the evening left.

Kenneth slunk past Cross without a another word and opened the door for his Clanmate with servile civility. Robert could leave the room that smelled like smoke as he wanted.

Kenneth returns to the main thread.
    Mask of Tranquility

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

What else was there for him to do? Cross exits through the door his Priscus opened for him without another word, head bowed in a manner of humility, though perhaps it was only to spare himself the sight of Gilroy.

Cross returns to the main thread

Closed Thread