DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn waved Jack inside as she lead him to the door of her favorite little hole-in-the-wall café. It was small, but the music was loud enough to cover the sound of a quite conversation. And the chocolate chip cookies were delicious. The Rose Garden did delicate little pastries like no one else, but if you wanted a huge hunk of cookie, this was the place.

After ordering, Lynn lead the way back to a small grouping of chairs next to a fireplace. Setting her drink down on a small table, Lynn laid her fiddle down next to her chair and leaned back, crossing her legs and smiling at Jack.

So, what brings you to Sacramento?

b
    bennosuke

Jack sits with a large cup of lipton's tea, choked with honey. He never had acquired a taste for coffee. The cup sits undisturbed... too hot. Lynn's question is to the point and simple, but leaves Jack with a sense of unease. "Well..." he says, "Escape. I was in Petaluma before, and it just was not safe anymore. The Gentry were pulling the Freehold apart. Friends were going missing every night."

But that wasn't all of it, was it? Petaluma had been home; home before everything Changed. He was escaping more than just The Fae. He was escaping a past that would no longer have him. Jack stares for a long time into his tea, watching the smoke cloud his view.

"How long have you been here Lynn? If you don't mind me asking, that is."

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

Lynn shrugged. "Not at all. I've been here about two years now. Arrived in the city with not much more than a suitcase full of clothes and my fiddle. But that's the way it usually goes with us Lost souls. It's so hard to find a place to fit in, after everything that's been taken from us."

She took a long sip of her drink, a blend of coffee, carmel and chocolate that she really didn't want to know the full nutritional value of. It was good and that's what she was sticking with.

"I came here looking for roots, myself. After...getting out… I wandered a lot. Had all the money I needed," at this a shadow of grief crossed her face. "And there was nothing tying me anywhere. So I went looking for a place to belong. I've found some good people here. And some bad. It's much like any other place, that way."

b
    bennosuke

" Lost souls?" Jack says with a chuckle, "I like that." He gets quiet for a moment. "Do you think we can ever find happiness... not for like a moment... but Find Happiness?" Jack shrugs, embarrassed to be so open with someone he's barely met. "After all we go through, how can you not be... broken?"

There is a long pause, where Jack's face may as well be a mask. Then he laughs, not raucously, but heartily. "I'm sorry, I am being too sentimental. Perhaps you could tell me a little bit more about Sacramento."

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

"I do actually." Lynn smiled. "I do believe we can find happiness. It's why I follow the...Garden Path" code used in the presence of the normal crowd.

"As for being broken." Lynn stirred her drink and looked thoughtfully over at Jack. "Have you ever heard of the philosophy of kintsugi?" She set her drink down and began to gesture with her hands. "It's a practice from Japan, where they take a bowl or pottery that's been broken, and they carefully piece it back together. But not just with glue. They use a lacquer that's filled with gold or silver dust, so it becomes an object of beauty, unique and special in a way it couldn't have been before. The breaking and repairing of the bowl become part of its history, instead of a reason to discard it." She raised an eyebrow at Jack. "Rather appropriate, don't you think?"

"But if you'd like to know more about Sacramento, we can talk about that. What would you like to know?"

b
    bennosuke

Her answer was beautiful, but the fact that she could say it earnestly was what impressed Jack. He had spent the last year or so surrounded by muck. Mucky situations making people mucky. The fact that she could say that so confident and clearly gave Jack Hope. "COLOR="#FF8C00"]Thank you,[/COLOR]" he says, "please don't let go of that sentiment." Maybe he was in the right place after all. At the very least he would have to strive to cultivate the feeling she talked about... if only he wasn't so afraid it would all come crashing down.

"Well, as I said before, I am looking to put down roots; to steal your phrase. I suppose I will have to prove myself, or swear allegiance. What would be the best way to do this?"

OOC

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

"Well, if you want to be part of the club, so to speak; you'll have to make your Pledge at the next season's gathering. That would be the one for the Gardening Club taking place at the Rose Garden. Of course, we'll have to pick the new head of the Club, so the proceedings might be a bit delayed. But there will be plenty of people to talk to while you wait and the food there is always good." Lynn picked up her cookie and broke off a bit. "After that, you'll have the chance to meet people and find the place that you belong."

OOC

b
    bennosuke

"Sounds like I can kill a few birds with one stone that way. Then I can put a few in my bush!" Jack rolls his eyes at the lack of humor in his own joke. "Okay then, I have myself set up at the east side of town. And I've started the move in process; I have a mattress on the floor and a box for a wardrobe. Can you give me a little who's who around here. I get the feeling you and Malcolm are both big fish in this pond."

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

"Well, power in our little clique is split between two groups at the moment. See, there's the four different clubs who each have their own heads. Right now, those four people have chosen to step back, so we're all in the process of choosing new heads of the clubs. There's also the Council, who are the balance to the clubs. They remain in power all year long, as opposed to the clubs who hand off power every three months. I was elected Steward of the Council, which basically means I'm den mother for the local clique." Lynn smiled a bit self deprecatingly. "Malcolm is one of the people in charge of our security. Which means he will be suspicious of everyone new; including yourself. But once you join the clique, he'll warm up."

b
    bennosuke

"Hmmm... Very interesting. Malcolm seems like a good man. He's definitely on guard, but in a good way. Power is between two groups right now?" Jack shrugs, not wanting to push the boundaries of what was safe to say in public.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread