(SC 2016) Inside the Rose Garden

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"So we're deciding who's going to be Queen already?" Coco called boldly as she strode into the room, resplendent in green crushed velvet with her cane swinging along gaily at her side.

"Well, I suppose there's no point waiting overly long, but you would have thought the Wyrd would have chosen for us already, wouldn't you?"
    she queried as she came to a pause next to her seat.

"I guess that means the Wyrd isn't overly fond of any of the candidates," she shared with a malicious grin as she settled herself down into her chair and lounged back into it.

"But never mind that. What's important is that we uncover our desires, not those of the Wyrd. So allow me to start by doing what all politicians eventually do and dig up some dirty laundry. You, my dear," Coco continued, nodding her head at Lynn, "have been rather critical of other peoples' Desires, and that would be very dangerous in a Queen, wouldn't you all say?"

Her eyes cast around to the newcomers, the majority of the court, though they did pause for longer upon Daisy and Juno, two Courtiers who she now called friend. Or, at least for one of them, desired to call them more.

"And for those who don't know, I'm Coco, your Claviger, by the way."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn felt her smile harden as a sense of frustration rose up inside her. All the work of burying the hatchet between the two of them was apparently for nothing.

"No, Cosmia, I've only ever been critical of your behavior, not your Desire. It's the fact that you are openly spiteful to other people who don't agree with you and have said horribly cruel things about my Motley mate; that is what I don't agree with. Your desires are your own - You may do absolutely whatever you like to and with yourself, but when they start to interfere with and hurt others, that is when you have to stop."

Turning back to Daisy, Lynn nodded to her. "Yes, I would ask someone else to stand as the Verdant Emissary if I was chosen as Queen. There are a variety of posts open right now in the Court, I would hope that each of you would be able to find something that fulfilled you. Or not, whatever the case may be. And yes, I do actually want to be the Queen. This is the court of Desire, but also of healing and renewal. While others might choose to wear the crown out of a sense of duty, that won't work here."

3. Likes Pixie Styx, Forn Clakes liked this post
    T

"Why thank you Helen! You're too kind." The giant rumbled in appreciation.

"Ahhhh. New faces." Artemis said after Juno and Coco arrived. "Although, only new to the meeting. I suppose I'm the new face to you both. HA ha! My name is Artemis and it seem the party is getting started." He said smiling warmly at Juno and Coco, a gleam behind his eyes.

"We are making an attempt to decide Coco. I suspect if the Wyrd has a problem with that it will arrange matters the way it seems fit. Remind me to speak to you about that Claviger thing afterwards as I do wish to help if I can. And rather than all this nonsense about she did this and she said that; how about you two just tell the rest of us what this little spat is about, then we can get back to deciding how best to chose our Sovereign." Artemis said pleasantly, first addressing Coco then including Lynn as well. "I'm all for knowing a bit about our new Queen..." He stopped and looked from face to face. "Am I the only man in this court?" He smiled a cheeky smile as he lent back in his chair. "Well all right then."

Helen greets Juno with a warm smile, "Hello Juno, I'm Helen and like Artemis I am obviously a new edition. I must say, it seems we've arrived at a crucial moment for the Freehold. It's an honor to be involved in this process." As Daisy addresses Lynn, Helen turns back to the Darkling, watching her reaction before posing her own question: "I would add that some of us here have not yet joined the Freehold, though I assume we're all dedicated to doing so, if our presence at this event is to be taken as evidence. Before we take a position on who should assume the crown, shouldn't we pledge ourselves officially?"

And then Coco arrives. Helen stares at the fairest with undisguised focus, as if she's trying to read a book. She listens to the new arrival's bit, her ink stained fingers steepled on the table before her. Even as Lynn responds, Helen keeps her obsidian eyes on Coco, as if processing her. Frankly, she can't decide if she likes or dislikes the Fairest's display. It exhibits passion, investment, desire, no doubt about it. But Helen is also partial to Lynn's understanding of the Spring Court, her emphasis on regeneration.

Luckily the sandman beside her starts speaking in a productive manner. She nods in time with Artemis' response to the impasse, inclining her head so that she's literally bending an ear to him, though her eyes remain on Coco. "Artemis, only man of Spring," she gives him this title with a humorous lilt in her voice, "is making sense here. Maybe it's because I'm an old woman, but I like the facts, and I like to examine them. 'There are only facts / facts to be dealt with' after all. Beyond that is the Wyrd, and the Wyrd moves how it will. To say that it has not chosen means nothing. We can just as easily say the Wyrd is now choosing through us, its implements." That Coco would presume to fathom the obscure flows, the unending twists and turns of the Wyrd clearly rubs Helen the wrong way.

She finally takes her black eyes off of Coco, looking between her and Lynn, "So, if you please, try to give us a better understanding of what is at issue here."

6. Likes Cayce, Pixie Styx liked this post

Daisy Wen
    Daisy Wen

Daisy Wen

Wizened Artist
    Presence ●● (Vivacious)
    Striking Looks ●● (Delicate)
    Fame ● (Culture - Art World)
    Mantle (Spring) ● The scent of plum blossoms swirl around her, as their petals fall in her wake. Language - Mandarin.
    Mask

A slim and petite women, of seemingly fragile beauty. With hair as black as a raven wing, kept long, either loose around her shoulders, or pulled back into a bun. She has a fair complexion, with delicate features.
    Mien

This Porcelain fawn, Manikin is material, Beast in shape. Artist in reality. comprised a fine white china. Her hair, still long is glazed in jade. Dainty china antler-horns poke out from her hair. Unguligrades legs she crafted for herself, now support dainty deer hoofed feet. Her eyes are large, pupiless, and the entirety of the eye black as pitch. She's lean, her limbs are long, her fingers spindly, but carry a certainty and deftness when plying her craft.

"Do we not need a Sovereign to pledge to the Freehold?" Daisy herself had sworn to the former Winter Queen. Or was it more symbolism? Her oath still held, as did the other Freeholders.

Daisy likes to smile, she enjoys being happy. It would take something momentous for her already bright smile to brighten farther. As it turns out, the event was Coco's cavalier appearance. Fashionably late. It was like her previous smile was a pale imitation of it's self, like the clouds parting for the sun, so it could shine, as soon as Daisy hears Coco's voice.

Daisy's onyx eyes focus upon the wasp, her confidence and swagger, but her words...did they mean that Coco still wished to be part of Spring? Daisy feels herself drifting closer to the wasp.

Helen, Daisy thinks has a point, the Antler Crown has not manifested itself, so was the Wyrd itself using them as it's instruments? Was there more to their arrangement then first thought. Daisy who secretly Desired the Crown. Coco and Lynn, apparently there was bad blood there, and perhaps placing the Crown atop Lynn's head, would cement the turning of Coco from Spring to Summer. Daisy was being selfish, she delighted in the way that her and Coco's mantles mingled as they did now. How would that change were she to join Summer? Daisy sets thoughts of Coco aside to focus once more. Juno, had ties to Spring equal to the current Emissary, but was a returning face. Helen and Artemis who's ties equaled her own, but were not sworn to the Freehold as of yet....

Spring was not like the other Courts who would crown the one with the strongest mantle....should she put her own name forward? Would it be better to have someone step in with no history here, fresh, ready for the rebirth and renewal of Spring?

Daisy felt as if she were standing before a precipice. Should she leap? Would she dare to?

"Would it be better to begin with a new seedling? Allowing the Court to grow strong with it?" it looks like she was about to. Even Sly's ears perked, twitching at the sound of her voice. "Crown one with no history good, or bad between those of the Freehold. Between those of Spring." She felt as though she would faint. "I have always Desired the Antler Crown. Perhaps that is why I have antler-horns...I put my name forward." she says formally, and awaited their response.

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

"Very well." Lynn smiled pleasantly at Artemis. "The rest of the Freehold knows, after all. About a year ago, I decided to join in a Motley with Morgan Bellanar, the Twilit Page of the Autumn Court. Cosmia found out during the last Spring Coronation and took offense." For an instant, anger and Passion was clear on Lynn's face; but tightly focused and controlled, a crucible to Coco's bonfire. Lynn was no stranger to Passion, but she chose to let it fuel her deeds, instead of being driven by it. "The usual unpleasantness followed, but given that the she and Morgan have sword a Pledge to let things lie, and the two of us have agreed to a truce, things should be settled now."

Turning, she addressed Helen and Daisy. "I'm afraid that we do need a Sovereign to take a Freehold oath, so that will have to wait for a little bit."

Tilting her head, Lynn listened to Daisy's offer. "I'm afraid that you would be stepping into a role without knowing the dangers and troubles that the Freehold already faces. Might I suggest a compromise? Live in Sacramento for the full turn of the Seasons, serve in the Court and learn the names, strengths, and weaknesses of the Freehold. Grow in knowledge and power. I can help you if that's what you truly Desire. And at the turning of Winter to Spring, if that's still what you want, the Court can meet again and you can make your bid for the crown at that time."

9. Likes Pixie Styx, Cayce, Forn Clakes liked this post

Juno pulled out a chair and took her seat. Her tail curled contentedly in reaction to seeing her friend Coco arrive.
    And the discussion, it would seem, had a definite curveball thrown into it with the Wasp calling out Lynn. The
    Manticoress didn’t have any history with whatever dispute was simmering between the two, but there was that
    question the Fawn had set before her, and one that had earned as good an answer as she could provide it.

“I am pleased to meet you. It is good to see the Spring Court gaining presence once again in
    Sacramento after so much sorrow. Perhaps it is a time for renewal.

You did ask me if I wanted to be the Queen for our court, Daisy. Yes, and I am sure each of us here would have that
    desire to one day serve as the leader of our people. If I was to say no, I would not be honest to myself or my Desire
    to bear the crown, but my purpose for answering this question is this - I have less of a desire for it than an
    understanding that to lead is a form of sacrifice. To lead, one must think of the people they will be responsible for.
    To lead is to at times put aside one’s own Desires for the better good of others. To place oneself in a position that
    helps to assure the old pacts are kept whole and the Seasons transition as they should is not only a sacrifice, but an
    honor to one who would shoulder the burden.

As to what I could bring to the table, it would be that over the years I have seen one Sovereign or another of our
    Court disgrace themselves through acting on one’s desires to the detriment of the Freehold’s security - King Crunk -
    or in the case of Alice White dismissing the desires of others and ultimately losing her own Passion to apathy. Mrs.
    Rosemary did well, I think, with her approach of compassion and understanding the quirks and what motivated her
    subjects by getting to know them. Of Violet, I did not know her well enough to judge. I would look upon their
    mistakes and take them to heart as a lesson for any leadership role I would take on.”

The Manticoress scratched lightly at her goatee, then, “At one time I lost all Desire, up to and including
    my debate as to remaining a member of this Court and it took a series of hard lessons before I came to understand
    that the fault did not lie with others, but with me. To that end, I would look upon the mistakes I have made, the ways
    I have tried to set things right, and go from there to do the best I can for the Freehold, my fellow Courtiers, and
    myself. I have chosen to put the past in its place save as an example and a reminder to myself to do better. I hope
    that answered your question.”

Raising a tattooed hand for emphasis, Juno finished her statement. “Whoever we choose for a leader, I
    wish them well with the responsibilty they have taken on.”

11. Likes Pixie Styx, Cayce, Forn Clakes liked this post
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"And I wish them to have a proper understanding of what it is that they truly represent," Coco interjected, her mocking smile having fallen away to leave her features rigid with distaste.

"For, now that we have heard our queen aspirant's viewpoint, allow me to elaborate upon my point of contention. You claim that it is only my behavior that you have objected to, hopeful Lynn, but I would challenge that claim due to the fact that our actions and behaviors are like shadows cast before Desire's flame. I'm not surprised you do not see this, however, for you are hasty to judge, and hasty to embrace the path most suited to your own Desire's then you are keen to truly help others. I acted as terribly as I did because I needed help, not to be brushed aside.

"So, again, I question your ability to truly be able to help lead others to fulfillment or understanding of their Desires, because you have certainly done nothing to address or guide mine. Which is remarkable given the months upon months that we've shared this court together.

"Daisy and Juno, on the other hand," Coco continued, levity once more entering her expression as she gestured amicably to the two courtiers, "have extended tender hands to me from the moment we met. Either one would be far more suited to the Crown then you, so do not so casually brush off Daisy's proclamation of Desire with your claims of seniority."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

13. Likes Pixie Styx, InvertedMonkey liked this post
    T

Artemis nodded to the comments about pledging to a Sovereign. It only made sense despite the strange predicament it put them in.

"It seems, Coco, that you've made friends and enemies in this freehold." Artemis began, "Not that I'm judging, merely observing." he added.

"So we have three names to choose from, each desiring the crown for themselves." He pondered scratching his grassy chin. "Each willing to deny another two of their desire to take it for themselves." Artemis said slowly beginning to look more serious and thoughtful. "Oh dear. How to choose? I wonder. Will there be hard feeling afterward? Surely we can work this out so that everyone is happy." He said to himself and half to Helen, without really realising it.

He looked up to Lynn. "Lynn. You are telling Daisy why she should not have what she desires now, like Coco said has happened before." he said still looking thoughtful.

Helen looks between the three contenders for the throne. What a tangle. "All my life, I've heard one makes many," she mutters to herself.

But this is no simple problem of ascendancy, this is a true conundrum of desire. Of the sometimes torturous routes of desire, of the way desire as a concept is always desires held by, or holding, particular individuals. Helen has read a bit of Freud in her time, and she knows his term 'indestructible desire.' She also knows that indestructible desire can destroy the one who desires, as well as the groups and collectivities made up of those desiring individuals. Vital and caustic, either way: desire is always King and Pin.

Helen can hear the half-address in Artemis' voice and takes great comfort in that intimacy, the way he includes her in what seem to be his own thoughts made public. She leans against him ever-so-slightly, using that point of contact to stabilize her as an idea slowly begins to form.

Finally, she speaks, and it is with a force that is both gentle and insistent: "My dearest siblings in Spring, it may appear that our family is at odds with one another, that desire is cleaving us apart rather than uniting us. But, cleaving is a word that can mean 'to hold together' as well as 'to split apart,' and I would suggest that what seems like disunity is actually fertile grounds for union." She pauses for a moment, looking from one member of the court to another. "When Coco insists that Lynn's desire for the crown innately excludes Daisy's, and Juno's, desires, she is not entirely wrong. The problem is, this is not Lynn's problem alone. It is a problem that afflicts each of you, in your desire for the Crown, and it is a problem of desire in general, maybe the problem of desire." And now she stands, her small form managing to embody emotional force despite her physical frailty.

"To that end, might I suggest a compromise: a triumvirate. A triple crowning. That we take the seeming division sown by desire and make it our strength, binding the three of you in your desire to rule: the seedling, the reignited flame, and the steadfast gardener." She looks from Daisy, to Juno, to Lynn. "Each of you following your own desires, nurturing those of your co-monarch's, and curbing those desires as well, when necessary. All of you, together, nurturing and directing the desires of your subjects. The freehold has clearly entered a new phase of its history, perhaps it is time to change the manner in which it is lead as well."

With that she settles back down in her seat, beside Artemis, patting one of his giant hands with her tiny one. "What this might look like practically, or how it might work, is something for further discussion. But I believe this could prove a way forward." Helen's said her bit, now she waits for a response.

16. Likes Pixie Styx liked this post
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread