Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)
    Wizened Inventor/Telluric

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Short and petite, Evelynn is pale, with a pair of wide brown eyes hidden behind a set of very large glasses.

Mein

A thin, long-fingered woman with eyes that are impossibly large and glassy, giving her the appearance of wearing large, thick glasses when she's not. Her skin is almost translucent in its paleness, and underneath, one can sometimes see the ticking of clockwork parts.

Mantle

The occasional hush falls around her - those moments of silence where surrounding conversations all lull at the same moment seem to happen more often, or perhaps the silences are just more noticeable.
    Pledges

Winter Annual Freehold Pledge

PRE

Evelynn realized, only after she and Keith had finally made plans to get together, that her apartment was a mess. Not dirty, exactly - just every surface was covered in stuff. She still didn't have as much furniture as she needed. With her hobbies being what they were, she needed shelving and drawers and everything else, but she only had about half of what she needed. So, after spending an hour running about madly trying to find places to put things, she ended up giving up and simply leaving her boxes of materials in a neat little line along one wall...

... And her big box of Lego out in the middle of the floor.

Atop the box sat several Lego prototypes for the secure drop boxes Coco had suggested. It was time, she figured, to get a second opinion. And why not start with the second opinion of a fellow tinker?

15 successes for prototype #1
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-03-14 17:27:40 [03] Evelynn rolls 8 to design lockbox prototype #1 (Int+Crafts+Spec) (8 Again) 4, 8, 10, 9, 2, 2, 8, 2, 8, 6, 5, 6, 1 5 successes
    2016-03-14 17:27:40 [02] Evelynn rolls 8 to design lockbox prototype #1 (Int+Crafts+Spec) (8 Again) 5, 8, 7, 2, 8, 10, 4, 5, 9, 3, 7, 7 4 successes
    2016-03-14 17:27:40 [01] Evelynn rolls 8 to design lockbox prototype #1 (Int+Crafts+Spec) (8 Again) 8, 1, 7, 9, 10, 7, 2, 2, 10, 9, 1, 3, 10, 7 6 successes
      8 successes for prototype #2
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-03-14 17:29:13 [03] Evelynn rolls 8 to design lockbox prototype #2 (Int+Crafts+Spec) (8 Again) 7, 2, 8, 4, 4, 9, 2, 8, 1, 9, 1, 8, 9, 1 6 successes
    2016-03-14 17:29:13 [02] Evelynn rolls 8 to design lockbox prototype #2 (Int+Crafts+Spec) (8 Again) 5, 6, 6, 1, 1, 3, 6, 3 failure
    2016-03-14 17:29:13 [01] Evelynn rolls 8 to design lockbox prototype #2 (Int+Crafts+Spec) (8 Again) 1, 10, 10, 5, 5, 3, 2, 6, 2, 6 2 successes
      5 successes for prototype #3
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-03-14 17:31:51 [02] Evelynn rolls 8 to design lockbox prototype #3 (Int+Crafts+Spec) (8 Again) 5, 7, 7, 8, 9, 5, 5, 5, 10, 8, 10, 2, 5 5 successes
    2016-03-14 17:31:51 [01] Evelynn rolls 8 to design lockbox prototype #3 (Int+Crafts+Spec) (8 Again) 4, 5, 6, 1, 5, 5, 5, 4 failure

M
    MrDream

Keith was having a hard time exuding his normal nonchalant air as he walked up to the door, with the faint squeek of little rusty wheels following him.

Ok, so that was reason number one for feeling less than smooth. No self-respecting man carried anything in a collapsible little old lady cart. In his defense, he'd been slowly accumulating things for a while now, and damn if the pile didn't wind up being a lot heavier than it had looked on the floor of his apartment's hall closet.

Aand the number of times he had looked at that pile was reason number two. He had told himself that he could pick tinkering right back up again anytime he wanted to. He'd told himself that a lot, but he was still afraid he might discover that the years separated from modern materials had ruined his sense of wire, glue, and plastic. He just wasn't willing to give up on ever crafting OUTSIDE the hedge again.

That pile of "I'll totally use that" had grown slowly in his closet and heart until the day he'd finally set a concrete date with Evelyn and her mysterious workshop. The first few times he had tried carrying the bags of stuff he had honestly thought the weight was all in his head.

He took a deep breath and rang the doorbell.

It's not cowardice, it's appreciation of the value of teamwork.

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Short and petite, Evelynn is pale, with a pair of wide brown eyes hidden behind a set of very large glasses.

Mein

A thin, long-fingered woman with eyes that are impossibly large and glassy, giving her the appearance of wearing large, thick glasses when she's not. Her skin is almost translucent in its paleness, and underneath, one can sometimes see the ticking of clockwork parts.

Mantle

The occasional hush falls around her - those moments of silence where surrounding conversations all lull at the same moment seem to happen more often, or perhaps the silences are just more noticeable.
    Pledges

PRE

Evelynn answered the door with a bright grin.

"Hi Keith!" she chirped, motioning for him to come inside. The apartment was very small, but it was of a perfect size for a single, small woman like Evelynn. Most noticeable was, of course, the big box of Lego in the middle of the main room with the three prototypes on top, but the rest of the space was full of interesting little knickknacks as well - most notably, several little clockwork contraptions that formed the center of Evelynn's income source.

Nearly bouncing with excitement, she led him into the apartment, then her gaze lit upon the little cart. "Oh, you brought stuff!" She took a step towards him and the bag, reaching for it only to stop herself short, realizing that it might not be appropriate to just go rifling through his cart. There was an awkward pause as she tried to decide to how react to her own breach in politeness, and she ended up just blushing and taking a step away from him again, this time, towards the kitchen. "You, um, wanna drink or something?"

M
    MrDream

Evelyn's apartment seemed to burst around Keith in sudden motion like... well, apparently like that clockwork flower over there.

The prime mover of the place invited him in and bustled around, and somehow seemed embarrassed about something, but he missed it, gazing enraptured upon a literal blast from his past.

Legos. And not just the colorful block sets modeled after whatever latest movie might trigger the greedy impulses of small children. The blocks with holes like swiss cheese, through which force and motion could flow like lifeblood through the plastic. The gears, small, large, flanged... and modified?

It looked like she had carefully cut and reassembled some peices. Mother would have had a fit... and Father would have asked "Why?" A man of short and confusing declarations, usually about religion... but he always asked about what his children built... and listened. Three natural and 5 adopted children "learned respect for the watchmaker by appreciating his work"...

Was she trying a new medium?

Keith took in the three complex assemblages on top of the bins, eyes and fingers passing over them like the shadow of a cloud blown across a field... not like her usual work, were these toy safes?

Wait... had she asked him something?

"Sorry, what?"

He replayed the last 30 seconds or so in his head...

"Oh, I'm fine thanks... are you building puzzle boxes?"

He supposed she could always glue the blocks together to keep folks from just taking them apart, temporary structure being the curse and greatness of legos.

He had made a tiny puzzle box once by making pieces quite strongly interlocked at right angles, but that was nothing at all like these exposed and complicated mechanisms.

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Mein

Mantle

Pledges

PRE

Evelynn stopped when Keith seemed to come out of his daydream and asked her to repeat herself. She tilted her head, confused, and then smiled when he answered her question only to immediately dive into asking her about her puzzle boxes.

"Yes! I mean, well, sort of." She came back out of the kitchen and picked up one of the prototypes, playing with it. "One of the Freeholders suggested that we might need some kind of safe dropboxes for information to be passed around the Hold, and I guess since I'm an Inventor, she figured I'd be a good person to ask about it. I've been working on the designs for a little while. Lego's pretty great for rapid prototyping, just getting a physical version of my thoughts out so that they're real, you know? It's easier to think about something like this. Designs on paper sometimes get too abstracted from the reality of what you're doing."

She held up the one in her hand, her fingers toying with the mechanisms until, abruptly, the lock came open and the little safe came apart. "Anyway, I've been hoping to get someone to talk to about the designs. See if there's anything in any of them that I missed." She paused, grinning self-deprecatingly. "Sometimes I get tunnel vision and miss something really obvious, you know? So yeah, I was kinda hoping you'd take a look, tell me what you think...?" Another pause, this one almost vulnerable, while Evelynn held out one of the puzzle boxes to him. She looked abruptly shy - the last time she'd had someone else take a critical look at her work was... well, it was before the Lord of Storms. It struck her suddenly that she hadn't really gone looking for critique since she'd come back from Arcadia, and there was a sudden sense of uncomfortable exposure about asking. But, it was unquestionably better for the Freehold if she did - good though she was, she didn't have the ego to assume she didn't need help. Multiple eyes made for a better invention, so she swallowed thickly, trying to quash her discomfort, and let Keith inspect her work.

M
    MrDream

Keith knew he was bad at reading people these days, but even the blind can read engravings of a certain size. This matter seemed engraved quite deeply on her heart, and he worried he might misstep on the narrow path between highlighting flaws and focusing on strengths.

He accepted the device from her hands carefully, with a bit of slow gravity, and did a slow examination from the outside layer of plates and hinges into the central master gearbox. It was hardly fair to call it a gearbox, given the importance cords, pegs, and parametric curves took in it's functioning, it was more along the lines of an elegant mathematical theorem given matter.

"Huh."

And then he double checked with a mental eye for future wear and jams.

"Mmmm"

He felt like a machine as clever as this had plenty more secrets to surrender, both good and ill... but he couldn't keep her waiting forever. Time to strap on the hobnailed boots, riverdance through the nursery and pray for the best.

"This bit could multiplex nicely... this right here will suck."

He cranked the box open.

"These two... don't quite cover it... but could UNcover it if they were opposing."

Then he closed it again.

"These are brilliant, and I really want to see all of them..."

An understatement, but telling her that she was brilliant would not help her discomfort.

"But I worry somebody might be steering you down the wrong tunnel entirely..."

He rummaged into the box and pulled out the same pay-as-you-go-phone she had helped him buy.

"What kind of info could a drop box carry faster or safer than this?"

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Mein

Mantle

Pledges

PRE

Evelynn was left bouncing back and forth on the balls of her feet with nervous energy. It was difficult to stay quiet while he took his time looking over the prototype, but once he started to speak, a grin lit up her face. Yes, yes, he could see it too! There were problems, certainly, though it was difficult for her to decide which were the result of the use of clunky Legos and which were problems inherent in the design. She opened her mouth to respond to his initial observation about one of the parts being sucky to work, but he kept talking, and her jaw snapped shut again while she waited, feeling suddenly better about everything, for him to finish his thoughts.

Once he pointed out that a phone might be easier, faster and safer, she began to laugh. How had that not occurred to her? "Heh. I guess I'm too used to letting the client decide what they need. I assume there are things that people in the Hold wish to pass around, I mean, physical objects, for which we'd need a drop box like this. Or, I don't know, maybe some stuff is more easily written. Or maybe they just don't want to use something that your average Wizened can break by looking at it. I honestly didn't ask."

M
    MrDream

Keith felt a mountain lift off his back. She had clearly been nervous about her work's quality, and he couldn't guess how she would take the feedback. Thank God, it turned out she KNEW she was good, and she was worried FOR the final quality, not about defending the current draft as ideal.

The wisdom to know that being wrong was part of getting it right, priceless. That expression as he explained each of the problems he saw, an even mix of accepting the input, weighing it fairly, and considering alternatives... he had seen that same expression not too long ago on one of his favorite new clients.

Even the BIG issue; the "is somebody wasting your time" question... was only amusing to her.

Of course! If she was being pranked, the joke was on those who didn't realize how much JOY there was in working on an interesting problem.

As for the practical solution to the oddity of her goal, likely best to present a few, open ended solutions first, rather than a single, highly refined one.

"All those sound likely, and, of course ...the customer is always wrong"

That adorable professor dogsitting for her kids had a particularly funny example of that motto framed over her fireplace http://partiallyclips.com/comic/economics-class/ ... and had also amused him with some tales of how it was NOT restricted to trainers. Clients of every kind tended not to know their own minds... or they would have grabbed what they needed off the shelf and checked out already.

"I'm used showing clients how NOT to be idiots... politely."

He looked at the two other prototypes.

"Ease of use, distributing goods, and collecting info"

A chilling thought occurred to him... the truly WORST case scenario involved her invention being used as the watering hole that attracted their people into the alligator's jaws.

"...and safety of use: deniability, camouflage, misdirection"

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Mein

Mantle

Pledges

PRE

Evelynn's eyes went wide when Keith pointed out that the customer was always wrong, and then wider still - this time accompanied by a giggle - when he spoke about showing clients how not to be idiots. "Oh. Dear. You really shouldn't let Coco hear you saying that. It was her idea, you know, or at least she was the one who presented it to me, and I can't help but feel she might stab you. A little."

Her expression darkened a little when Keith started talking about safety of use. Well, shit. That wasn't something she'd even remotely considered. "I think, um, I mean I'm pretty sure the idea is to have the boxes in various Hold-controlled places. Like the boarding house, maybe the new commons if we get one. Maybe at the bookstore, or Quicksilver Gate. I don't think we'd plan to leave them in a particularly vulnerable spot." She shifted uncomfortably, the implication of his words settling like a stone into the pit of her stomach. "Um. Maybe I should ask. To make sure. Or to find out how much camouflage and stuff we might need." The problem there being that she had no idea who to ask. Sure, Coco had suggested it, but surely she wasn't actually in charge of the idea, was she? She didn't want to ask Coco, to be honest. Coco intimidated her, way more than Ramona did, and that was saying something. "That's not really my thing, you know? Might have to ask some other people to help."

M
    MrDream

Keith, undaunted by hypothetical stabbings, grinned conspiratorially.

"Misdirection featured in many of my projects... that sort of is my thing. And if enemy hands couldn't reach it, you'd only need a box, with no locks."

He paused to consider the lockboxes before them.... and around them the room where gears and joints came to elaborate, precise life. Defense in depth... hidden depths... hiding in plain sight... a forest beneath the trees.

"Mailboxes. If you want to hide secure mailboxes, hide them inside regular mailboxes."

He looked back at his clockwork companion. "And if anyone messes with them... well, that's a felony."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread