Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Home Again Home Again

THREADID
    b
    bennosuke

Jack had only been on the Greyhound for a few hours, but it felt like it had been days. Some Organ based dirge had been playing on reverse in his head the entire ride, as cars and houses shuffled by his window. It was now early evening. The sun was finally starting to find it’s hiding place along the skyline.

He stepped off of the bus in front of what must be The Sacramento Convention Center. It wasn’t an unattractive building, but it wasn’t exactly inviting either. It was cold out, but not so bad you had to shiver. A few vagrants were finding shelter from the oncoming night under the Center's high overhang; they didn't seem to notice the tall strangeling. No one to welcome him, no one to announce his presence. He had the address for the studio he had rented, and a few cell phone numbers in his pocket.

So, this is home?

Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

Green is passing by the Convention Centre, following a meandering path that leads from the Central Park Trod all the way to Edna's Boarding House. He has come from the Trod, of course, as evidenced by his battered and Thorn scarred great coat, heavy boots and big bag slung over his shoulder.

He would have been minding his own business, lost in his own deep thoughts, but then the mountain caught the scent of woodsmoke. Rolling to a stop he paused and sniffed. He ignored the surprised and suspicious look from one the vagrant's marking out a spot (in his tattered coat he could have passed for one). Gleaming eyes tracked up and down and across the street.

Then he saw the unknown Changeling: a being with a disturbing mockery of a smile, ghastly pale face and... eyes? They should be eyes, he thinks. They're in the right spot? A surge of pity - what if they weren't eyes? Could the Gentry be so cruel? He'd made his own eyes of course, but he was living rock (not flesh) that had ripped itself from the leviathan outer shell of his own body.

One way to find out...

Picking up the pace, Green bore down on the newcomer, obviously fumbling in a pocket.

"Um. Yeah. Hey. Ah. Could I bum a cigarette, man?"

It was an icebreaker - all he needed to kick start a conversation, and hopefully move the newcomer out of earshot from the mundanes.
    bennosuke

b
    bennosuke

Jack gives a smile, warm if not a little sad. Well that was fast, he thinks to himself. It seems another Lost has already found him. He reaches into his pockets instinctively, before realizing he doesn't smoke. "I'm sorry, I don't have any," he says hesitantly, "but I do have this."

Jack removes an onyx colored cigarette lighter from his pocket, reflexively popping back the top and producing a cool blue flame. Thinking better of it, he caps the lighter and says. "Sorry, I'm Jack. Suffice to say, I'm new in town and... maybe you could help." Jack is guarded enough not to outstretch a hand, but smart enough to keep a smile on his face to show he is friendly.

Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3

Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

Freehold Pledge

Dragon's Bane Pledge

Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

"Aw shiiiit..." Green affects a drawl.

He eyed the vagrants one last time before turning toward Jack. Gemstone eyes glittered when the onyx lighter came out; they dulled ever so slightly when the big Elemental inhaled again and deeply. Woodsmoke, hearth; not a mantle associated with Winter.

Green hunched into his coat. It didn't make him look any smaller but it did lower his profile slightly.

"Maybe I could, Jack. Depends what you are looking for. Plenty of hotels around this part of town. If you looking for somewhere cheaper you need to head out of downtown. You got friends or family 'round these parts? Or a name, contact, like? Maybe you're looking for someone?"

He paused.

"Some people call me Green," he added with feigned reluctance.

Maybe he should just come out with it and introduce Edna's Boarding House. The thought crossed his mind. The place was filling up with the lost like a Freehold in miniature - and that was the worry. If this newcomer was here for trouble, he'd be almost given the keys to the kingdom.

Almost.

Wheels turned in a Wintry mind while he waited on Jack's reply.

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn's presence was softly announced with a wistful tune blowing along with the wind; a bit of music to accompany her steps as she made her way past the depot. As she passed, her attention was caught by the sight of the Mountain talking with another Lost soul that she didn't recognize. Not that that was new, it seems that every time she turned around there was someone else new popping up.

With a brief debate, Lynn decided to say hello.

Shifting from whistling to humming, Lynn made her way over to the two, nodding to Green. "Gentlemen." She nodded to the newcomer. "Hello there."

6. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    b
    bennosuke

QuoteQuote:
    "Maybe I could, Jack. Depends what you are looking for. Plenty of hotels around this part of town. If you looking for somewhere cheaper you need to head out of downtown. You got friends or family 'round these parts? Or a name, contact, like? Maybe you're looking for someone?"

He paused.

"Some people call me Green," he added with feigned reluctance.
    So far he seemed friendly. Jack knew he would meet the local fae at some point, but hadn't expected it to be this quick. What was it they said about first impressions?

"Well that's awfuly kind of you Mr. Green," Jack says while giving a small theater bow, never taking his eyes off of the other Lost. Coming back up he says, "I happen to have an apartment in town fortunately though. No friends yet.". Jack's voice becomes hushed, "Maybe you know a few people I should meet though? I'm coming from Petaluma, and don't know my way around The Holding in these parts." It was a subtle enough euphamism. Hopefully The Giant got his drift.

QuoteQuote:
    Shifting from whistling to humming, Lynn made her way over to the two, nodding to Green. "Gentlemen." She nodded to the newcomer. "Hello there."
    Another one? So fast. This could be a trap. It takes a lot of will not jump ship at that moment. Everything inside said, 'disappear with a flash!". But so far, they were not making any aggressive moves. Maybe it wasn't a trap. "Hello Madam," Jack gives another theater bow, "My name is Jack. Pleased to make your aquintance. "

Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3

Giant
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

Freehold Pledge

Dragon's Bane Pledge

Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

"Ah huh." Green grunted. "Yo got your own digs, huh?"

His gemstone eyes rolled over to Steward as she approached. "Lynn," he said simply with a slight inclination of the head.

"Quicksilver Gate is a shopping centre and art gallery. Many of us make a habit of stopping by there. Rose Garden, its a restaurant. Go to the Forge if you want a more... angry... experience, yeah?" He continued, turning his attention back to the theatrical gentleman. He omitted the Blue Note because of lingering suspicion and a doubt at Jack's Seasonal sympathies; like-wise, with an abode already established, he had no reason to divulge the location of Edna's Boarding House or that many of the Freehold's Lost made their home there.

Lynn would no doubt further embellish the bare bones Green had laid out. Turning away from them both, Green checked out the street for eavesdroppers - from those who were simply close enough to pick up a conversation not meant for them, to those who loitered suspiciously in the shadows.

Green was always watching.

Now more than ever.

b
    bennosuke

"Thanks," Jack says as the frost giant begins to turn away. It seemed he was indicating that Jack should talk with the lady fae. "I suppose you could say that I'm looking to put down roots. It would probably be best if I introduce myself to the Court. I figured now was a good time to show up, what with the season about to change and all." Jack looks imploringly at the Springtime Lost.

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn smiled warmly. "Of course, an excellent idea. And Springtime is the best time to put down roots, if that's what you're looking for." She stuffed both hands in her pockets and cocked her head a bit to the side. "That's what I was looking for, a couple years back, when I ended up here. This is a good place."

She gave the newcomer a quick look up and down. No luggage that she could see, but it wasn't exactly unusual for a Lost soul to wash up on foreign shores without much to call their own. Still, it did make things difficult for the newcomer. "Is there anything in particular you're going to be looking for? Best place to grab a bite or relax? We could at least help you get your feet under you."

b
    bennosuke

Wow, could I really be this lucky. They are so... helpful! "I really appreciate that. I would be happy to take any advice I can get. I guess my greatest concern has just been... well you know, getting to know the locals."

"Lead the way."

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.