DISPLAYED
Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn got up to take a look at Morgan's arm, tilting her head to the side in order to get a better look.

"Well, the point of the test was to find out where the Cloak failed, yes? It seems that if Morgan can feel the heat of the knife and her fur is singing, then we might have found the closer edge of the fail point." She glanced up at Ramona. "From what I can figure, any hotter and we're going to start discovering how much less damage then normal the fire would be causing. While that might be useful in a worst case scenario, I don't see the point of it at the moment."

S
    Saeyer

Returning Morgan's thumbs up, Ava took a moment to make some quick notes about the test. How it had been conducted, the apparent effects (or lack thereof). As the question of what to try next came up, the Nix hummed thoughtfully. "Well, I can think of a few other ways to weaponize fire but they involve methods that would damage Morgan regardless of the cloak." Like sling-shotting hot coals at her, for example. A lump of coal to the stomach was still a blow, regardless of whether or not it was flaming.

"I think we should try a couple of other similar things," indicating the knife with a nod, "Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. And, I have to admit I think there is value in knowing the worst case scenario, or what approaches is, but I understand why you're not keen to go that far. "

Since trying with things similar to the knife will likely yield the exact same result, maybe we could sort of montage that? With an ST blessing of course

I'm in favor of montaging, if the STs approve.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan couldn't not wince at Ramona's suggestion of using a torch, "T-t-that sounds quite p-painful, heh-heh. Pre~etty sure Armor the Elements contract counts as weapon, heh. Other weapons I can only t-think of tis flamethrowers. Erm, heh-hairspray flamerthrower that tis az they be possible for us and n-not as ssstrong as real thing." She looked around and added, "T-totally does work: tested it."

When Lynn inspected Morgan's arm, she held it up to her friend to let her have a better look. "I a~am adverse to pain Lynn. Meh-beh it did nay protect the dead-hair? Um," the sighed in defeat, "Crud. Can nay a-argue with logic of t-testing like Ava said. B-best to ken what it can block in safety then in d-d-danger if-if folks wanna learn this contract, heh. C-can try the hairspray thing after meh-beh possible-depends. If-if someone has any spray," she looked over at the forge and chuckled, "Doubt we n-need a lighter for it."

Montage time sounds fine with me.

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

Yay montages! -rocks out to awesome music-

By the end, Ava's notebook is scrawled across with data. They test with the Forge's magical fires, gradually scaling up with heat until they find the limit that Morgan can stand. Then they test weaponization. Ramona attacks the steepscrambler with heated knife-blanks and blunt irons, and finally dares test a magical blowtorth, first against a segment of her hair stretched out away from her head, and then, if successful, against her skin. They test everything, heat, actual flame, across conductive surfaces, proximity. If the tests supports it's safety, Ramona would even suggest to Morgan that she close with the bonfire as much as she is comfortable.
    Consider us montaged. All we need is results.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

ooc: IIRC bonfires do 2 Fire damage and the Cloak of the Elements protects up to Wyrd in damage. So Morgan can safely stick her hand in the fire. If it is hotter then that, Morgan only goes as far as is safe.

The testing commenced with much the same results at first. The magical fire proved as ineffective as mundane flame, at least until they got to the upper limit. When they moved onto the heated objects however they gained some new results. The knife-blank swung at Morgan's hair strand cut through, filling the Hollow with the smell of burnt hair. The blunt iron rods also got through, grazing her shoulder and giving her a mild skin burn. This caused the Beast to suck in a sharp breath but she'd had much worse before. It'd probably become more unpleasant when it blistered. That didn't stop her from gasping out: "S-stings!"

Funnily enough, when Ramona stopped the attack, and thus stopped using the iron blank as a "weapon," Morgan accidently grasped it, with no ill effect. It seems that intent is the defining trait in whether the Cloak can protect against an element or not. Morgan does not object to any medical aid that come from Lynn, Ava, or Ramona. She is quite willing to wait before proceeding with the rest of the tests.

Heat proximity, open flame, hot surfaces, all of these tests were blocked by the Cloak of the Elements. However, any kind of intentional attack was not. As for the final suggestion of Morgan closing with the bonfire, the raccoon had no trouble with attempting it. She had no problem with the heat of being close to the fire. If the blaze isn't overly intense she can even stick her hand in it. As she explained to those observing, "I t-t-thanked fire for a while b-b-by sticking m-m-m-marshmallows into a fire. Literal hand-in-fire as I r-r-release the treat. So~o I d-done this part before."

"I d-d-doubt the cloak shalt s-stand against dragon-breath, bu~ut c-could heh-help if the battlefield tis set aflame."

S
    Selena

This has been going on nearly two months, time to start wrapping it up.

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

Lynn kept a sharp watch on Morgan's health, checking the site each time Morgan risked a burn. When necessary, she applied a bit of Spring's power in order to heal any damage.

S
    Saeyer

Closing her notebook with a flop rather than a snap, the well-worn pages softening the sound, Ava nodded at Morgan's conclusion. "So, dragonfire will need another solution. But it seems like this will at least be useful for the associated heat." It seemed to her as though they had exhausted the avenue of exploration for the moment, this particular Contract played out. The fire proximity suit, the Cloak of Elements. Both of them were too small-time or too mundane. The answer had to be somewhere else.

Grabbing an extra beer, she handed it to Morgan to act as a sort of ice pack for her singed spots. "Call it a day?"

Any last additions, or end scene?

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread