Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Variables

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

The grass in the Burnout has that damp quality to it that says it's rained recently, but not recently enough that you'll get soaked by laying in it. There's that crisp, pleasant freshness and mustiness in the air too, mingling with the scents of the fires and their various accelerants. Ramona likes to be prepared, so she's arranged several testing variables. The first one is the forge-fire. Something about the way the Hollow's smithy works keeps it perfectly hot or cooled as needed, and always stocked with coal. Does that, technically, make it a magical fire? Conjured? Ramona doesn't have the answer, but she's arranged the coals in a sort of gradient, from hottest to coldest, for them to test. Then there's the great big bonfire. Also eternal, in it's own way. Mostly because Marcus had a habit of feeding it the branches and leavings of hedge-fruit, Ramona figures, and it'd become sort of common practice. Magical? Probably. Still could be a good source of testing.

Lacking a purely mundane fire, Ramona had also hauled up an old-fashioned bag of charcoal to the Hollow, and poured it into a barbecue. Nobody could doubt that it's a mundane flame. Unless being in the Hollow has done something to it. Too many variables. Regardless, with the forge-fire and the bonfire basically taking care of themselves, Ramona's been keeping an eye on the barbecue. And because it'd be a terrible crime to let such a nice blaze go to waste, she's also been cooking on it. The scent of marinated steak-kebabs, skewered with roasting onions and peppers, is just one more pleasing aroma in the air. Ramona's sprawled out in a lawn chair, feet bare and sunglasses hiding her eyes, sipping a beer and listening to Led Zepplin blasting out of a boom-box. Who says science can't be fun?

S
    Saeyer

One of Ava's absolute favorite things about the Summer Hollow was that it always seemed to have beer. It was always to warm for her liking, there was fire everywhere, and all in all it just wasn't her thing, but at least there was always beer. One found its way into her hands quite promptly on arrival, sipped daintily through a straw to avoid jarring her spindly teeth on the lip of the bottle; it looked ridiculous, but it worked.

Laid out on a chair beside Ramona, the Nix alternated between squinting at the kebabs, and squinting at the notebook in her hands. Since Daniel had been too busy to join them this time around, and she herself was both Scrivener and Archivist, it only seemed right that she do the note-taking. And she was happy to do it, but mostly relieved this wasn't taking place in her Hollow. It could've been worked out, but this seemed less nerve wracking for everyone.

"Will those actually be done anytime soon?" she called snarkily to the General over the sound of the boombox, nodding to the fire. They may not be the point of the gathering, but they were certainly a perk.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan remembered that the Summer Hollow is a warm place with a big fire, though it wasn't very clear on details. She mostly paid attention to the goings ons rather then the layout of the Summer Hollow. Not normal behavior for the traceur: her eyes regularly roamed areas to find escape routes.

Maybe she trusted Summer to keep it safe?

As Morgan followed Ava in, she was more glad for the size of the entrance. It let her keep both duffel bags on her shoulders. One bag included all the burn-treatment medical supplies from the last test. The other held the proximity suit and printouts on how such suits are made. As she shoulder through the entrance she grinned widely upon seeing Ramona and Ava chilling together, "Sup? I b-b-brought stuff."

The place was still comfortable, the noisy music helping to set Morgan's instincts at ease. Looking around the room, she saw the more burn-ish stuff-making area. AKA the smithy. She went over and dropped the bags there. Then she spun on one foot and walked over to her friends.

"Heh-heh hope ye hath not waited long. Ooh, kebabs, neat!" Morgan plopped down on the floor, legs splayed out in front of her, arms back on the floor. It meant she had to look up at the others but she didn't mind.

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn was next through the door, her homemade medical kit slung over one shoulder across from her fiddle. She'd packed everything she thought she'd need for the experiment; hopefully far more than she really would need.

"Hey guys!" She took a deep breath. "Ohh, we've got food too? Great!" She carefully set her medical bag on one table and grabbed a chair, dragging it over to the others. "If I'd have known we were making a picnic out of it, I would have brought something to share."

"Can't rush perfection," Ramona reminds Ava for the umpteenth time, voice just as sedate and relax as the last. She raises her bottle of beer to her lips, taking a light swig, then lowers it with a satisfied sigh. The approach of the two remaining members of her party doesn't even stir her. The hobs would raise a racket if they weren't here by invitation. "Just a snack," she tells Lynn, hardly moving. She is comfy. "Suppose you could call it a reminder of what heat can do to flesh... but really, I just thought it'd be a shame to waste a good barbecue fire." Lynn's a Spring, she should get that. Desire kebabs? Have kebabs. Simple.

Reluctantly, she pushes herself upright, and goes to the barbecue in question, turning the skewers and prodding the meat a bit with her tongs to make sure it's done. "One for each," she announces, picking up each skewer and setting it aside on a collective plate. She picks one for herself, then goes and settles back in her chair. "Thought it might be smart to talk first, too. How do we want to do these tests? What do we do first?" Her eyes are unseen behind the lenses, but there's the impression of her glancing at each of them as she asks, and takes a big bite out of her kebab.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

"Hi Lynn!" she leaned to her left so she could free up her right hand to wave hello to her friend. Then relaxed back into her previous position.

"Uuuuh...safety?" That was just the first thing that came out of Morgan's mouth in response when Ramona asked for step one. "Um, heh-heh, I mean, t-t-thank ye for the food Ramona. A-and I did bring the suit." She nodded her head, "Yup-yes. Brought suit so folk, guessing you, could wear it for safety heh-handling fire. Oro-or just the gloves. Oh-oh-oh! A-and manual-print-outs about heh-how they are made, sssince words were said about hedgespinning...heh-heh." Morgan seemed to lose steam and enthusiasm at this point. Understandable to a degree.

"And got all the supplies from a'fore last time, heh-heh. Cause," she shuddered and tried not to whimper, "Cause I f-figure it is going to be, uh," she winced, "Very easy to notice when sssomething tis too hot for the contract, heh-heh. Like-me-screaming-in-pain."

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn snagged a kabob, curling up in a chair and bitting into a delicious hunk of meat. Ramona did good kabobs.

"Well, we should probably start small; with the barbecue coals and flames first. All situations, from getting near to holding to having it used against you. Then we can try the more magical stuff; although I'm not sure which would be hotter in this situation. But if we're working from coolest to hottest, we can stop the first time you get burned. And I've got plenty of stuff to deal with that." Lynn smiled warmly at her friend. She didn't mention the fact that she'd brought a set of clippers, in case she had to deal with a burn under all that fur. Morgan might end up with a very lopsided buzz, when everything was said and done.

S
    Saeyer

An exaggerated sigh answered Ramona's explanation about perfection, her impatience only partly teasing. Morgan's appearance was a welcome distraction, one of Ava's hands raising in a wave, and with Lynn right on her heels it seemed they were all present. The Nix chewed quietly on her own kebab as they began to speak, discussing the order of the day.

"Did you want me to try with that special sensor Daniel made you again this time, Morgan?" Meat was between the Scrivener's teeth, but she didn't seem to care. "Otherwise I figured I'd focus on note-taking today." Someone needed to keep careful track of what they did, so no one needed to repeat it.

Ramona eats sedately, peeling meet and vegetables off her skewer with her teeth and masticating in a relaxed rhythm while she thinks. "Our objective is to develop a protection from dragon's fire. Which we know is magical." She lays out, in the beginning. After a swig of her beer and a little more thought, she continues, "Assuming that fire burns as hot as a blowtorch, that's anywhere between one- and three-thousand degrees Celsius."

She tilts her chin towards the barbecue, "Those coals are probably in the three hundred degree range. But they can tell us if something can resist any heat at all. Mundane heat. So, first test. Is it heat resistant? Barbecue coals can answer." She glances at Morgan, "My bet is you can hold the coals in one of those suit's gloves. Barehanded, we can test if your contract'll protect you too."

Then she glances towards the raging bonfire in the middle of the Hollow. "A regular bonfire might get up to around a thousand C. Is it a magical fire? I don't really know. I think so. Marcus sorta started us on a practice of throwing the leavings from hedge bounty in there. Stems and vines and other garbage we can't use. It never really goes out anymore... and does some other, weird stuff." It's usefulness as a testing material is pretty inconclusive.

Finally, she glances back towards her beloved forge. "My forge-fires are definitely magical. They're ever-burning, and they always seem to hold exactly the temperature I want them to. A normal forge-fire can get up to around two thousand degrees or higher. I bet mine can burn even hotter. But it can also burn lower, whatever temp I want, really. Good way to test resistance to magical fire, I think."

She crunches down on the last morsels from her kebab, and tosses her skewer into a rubbish bin. "Attacking you with the heat is gonna be a different thing. Not sure how to do that safely."

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan nodded her head at Lynn's suggestion, "Ssssmall sounds less-painful-erm more good, heh-heh. T-t-thank ye Lynn. Huh?" Her head swivelled to focus upon Ava. Her head started to tilt then straightened out quickly as the Beast started. Her eyes shifted left and right a few times as she winced, "Ummm...notes tis fine I g-g-guess. 'specially since I kinda-sorta-did-not bring the heh-heh, the new-sensor-thingie, heh-heh." Which kinda killed the the possibility of using it. She had brought the camera, and developed film, though for some reason. The idea of more sensor testing hadn't occurred to her. She rubbed the back of her head and admitted this folly: "Nay t-t-thought of more...uh, tis sensing the right word? More sensing tests. D-d-did bring the photos though, heh-heh."

And then Ramona was in charge. Morgan nodded her head on the subject of holding coals, "Right." The the blacksmith had already given Morgan the ability to activate the contract without cost: the Twilit Page was still wearing the fire pendant. And she doubted it'd be as hot as a hotplate anyway.

The confidence faded at the mention of the weird (or was it Wyrd) bonfire. And the forge fire, "Ooooh-kay, heh-heh, n-neat fire tricks," she tried to stamp down on the nervousness but it wasn't going that well. Plus she blathered, "Prob-ab-ably nay as irksome as the pen-stealing pixies in Autumns heh-Hollow too, heh-heh." She needed to focus. What on? Right, "F-f-forge zzzounds most controlled for the, uh, gradual up-up of heh-heat that tis nay a weapon. F-f-for, uh, weapon fire...um," The others could probably feel Morgan activate the Cloak of the Elements as she sat and listened. A hum with hints of a purr came from Morgan's throat. "T-tome said twas form-of-element craft-or-altered to intend heh-harm. Pick-up-rock and toss, cloak block, b-b-but stone spearhead bypass. So~o," Morgan kipped up.

Once standing a red flash appeared in her hands. Not flame, it was just a twirling throwing knife catching light from the fires. After a moment, she stopped spinning it, grasping it by the blade. She offered the handle towards Ramona, "Weapon test b-b-by heating a weapon meh-beh? If ye c-c-can control heat ye can control heh-how hot the blade tis, right? Tis a weapon a-and heated-fired bypass the cloak. Maybe? Nay think thorwin' a coal at me would do, heh-hath to be made-modified to heh-hurt. I-do-not-ken...Oh," she bowed her head, "Right, ah-and thank ye for the kebabs, heh-heh. Uh...maybe we-I treat to icecream after this?" She shrugged. It made sense to her: unpleasant heat reward with pleasant cold.

ooc: sorry for the delay. I was briefly unable to log in.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread