Ended
Watch

We're doing Science!

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

The shutdown warehouse Morgan had chosen for her experiments was relatively clean. Or at least the back room she'd set up as a testing area was clean and should be private enough to keep prying eyes from noticing the flicker of fire light. The Beast had spent a couple of hours ensuring that there was no paper trash, lint, dust bunnies, or anything else flammable to worry about in the space. She had no desire to be trapped in burning building. After the Lost finished here whatever homeless person took up residence would probably appreciate the cleanliness.

The Twilit Page had come well prepared. There was sufficient light for everyone to see, chairs, and a table for her helpers to use whilst taking notes. Safety equipment included a first aid kit, a large collection of burn ointments, a fire blanket, water bottles, and two fire extinguishers. There was also a butane blowtorch in case conjuring fire proved to be a no go. Morgan had the kirlian camera to photograph things...because why not? Finally there was the shiny, metallic looking proximity suit which resembled something out of a bad 1950s science fiction film.

The raccoon's paranoia was quite helpful for planning safety.

Morgan sat on the table, legs left to dangle as she was now just waiting for her helpers to arrive to start the experiment. She really couldn't start without them, especially Ava who had offered to bring in a testing dummy.

This thread takes place in early evening.

S
    Saeyer

The Scrivener's arrival was announced by the sound of squeaky wheels and someone hip-checking a door. After a moment and some muffled swearing, Ava came into sight with the body of a battered dress form tucked under her arm; stained and torn, there were obvious reasons someone had been willing to part with this form for a price the Nix was willing to pay. She looked a little put upon as the wheeled stand she was also guiding listed aggressively to the left, a couple of fingers lifting in a wave as she spotted Morgan. "Hey! One dummy, as requested. We just need to mount it again. It was too big to get in my car with the stand still on."

The limbless cloth body finally out of her hands, resting on the table for the time being, her face relaxed into a familiar smile. "How are you?" The question wasn't particularly pointed, but it was the first time they'd seen each other since the discussion in her Hollow.

Rolling up her sleeves in the meantime, it was clear Ava was wearing her rattiest clothes, because fire. While she was never the pinnacle of fashion, her usual pointed-toed boots had been traded out for scuffed black sneakers and she wore only the pilliest of sweaters, a mixture of both lumpy and threadbare knits. Her damp hair was pulled back carefully into a bun and the whole ensemble, combined with her pasty skin, just served to make her look even sicklier than usual.

In the decision between protective clothing and expendable clothing, Ramona had likewise chosen to err on the expendable side. She strolls into the warehouse with her leather jacket and Doc Martens shockingly absent, replaced by a grey hoodie, unzipped, and a pair of old hiking boots. Her jeans are torn, and the colors have bled a bit from this particular band t-shirt, making it's logo and name unrecognizable, but it looks like it has something to do with fire. She's brought her own first aid kit, just to supplement whatever Morgan has, and her axe, because... well, you never know. "Hey," she calls to the pair as she crosses the empty space.

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn was the next to make an entrance, bringing with her two extra fire extinguishers in a backpack and also wore her oldest grimy clothes. Her hair was pulled back securely in a bun so that there would be no chance of catching a stray bit of flame.

Glancing around, she nodded at the others and lugged her bag over to add to the pile; setting it down with a thunk and adjusting the strap on her violin case. "Hey guys. Hey Morgan." She wandered over and gave her friend a hug in greeting. "Whatcha got set up?"

5. Likes Origins liked this post
    Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse
    Duration: Year and a Day

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

Daniel arrived with a bag slung over his shoulder that held his laptop. He'd made sure it was fully charged before he left. He wasn't sure if there would be any working outlets where Morgan had set up her little 'experiment'. He'd also worn some clothes he wouldn't mind getting ruined. In fact he already smelled a little like smoke and barbecue sauce because of the jeans he'd had on at Christmas. On top of that he'd included a red hoodie that he never seemed to end of wearing for at least a year or more. Plus the color was appropriate he thought with a small smile.

He was also lugging along something he'd promised he'd get Morgan the next time he could. It looked almost like a homemade Geiger counter of some kind. Or at least not professionally made. He'd managed to make it nice at least. No exposed wires or circuit cards poking out of the reused casing.

"Hey guys," he greeted everyone present. It looked like they were still setting up. "Morgan, this is that energy scanner I was telling you about at the Winter Formal. Probably won't help out too much here, and I haven't had a chance to test it too much. Seemed like a good enough time to get it to you though," he said with a smile holding out the device if she want it.

"So, what type of stuff do you want recorded?" he asked indicating his laptop bag "Camera's not that great on this thing but I can record some video if you want it. Or just make an excel sheet. Whatever you need."
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

The other's will find that Morgan may have dressed for the gym. She was clad in grey jogging sweatpants and sleeved tunic, with some beat up sneakers on her feet. The only accessory dangled from Morgan's neck, a flame icon Ramona should be familiar with, that occasionally reflected the light. Her usual jacket had been left by the door on a chair that could serve as a general coat rack. Beside the chair was the supplies pile and a mostly empty pack that had a change of clothes in it. The Twilit Page had learned her lesson about playing with fire: have spare clothes!

The Page jumped down as Ava struggled with the door but was caught off guard by the "test dummy" Ava was dragging. She tilted her head in confusion as it was just a torso? She didn't know they came like that. She shook her head to clear it, she should just be grateful someone had found something. "Heh, t-t-thank ye Ava," she rushed over to help her friend with schlepping the torso onto the table without hitting the camera. She returned her friend's smile, "I-I am well, t-thank ye for ah-ah-inquiring. Um," her eyes scanned the other Beast. The woman looked pale...er, "Are ye f-fine? Um, heh-heh meant are ye well, uh, too?"

And then the others started arriving. Morgan's brain paused whilst she stared at Ramona's axe. Firemen did have axes but the Twilit Page hadn't sought one thinking it overkill for fire safety. "Hiya Ramona...rally-really heh-hope we don't need that," she motions to the axe. Lynn's arrival brought a smile to her face, and the extinguishers were an extra relief. The chances of burning down the place were now much lower. "Hiya Lynn, erm...nothing yet, heh."

"Oooh," Morgan looked genuinely fascinated by the device, "Thank ye Daniel. Ah-and the camera tis heh-here too...um..." The paused, tilted her head to the side with an audible crack of her neck, "I forgets why I b-b-brought aura-camera, heh-heh."

Now that everyone had arrived, Morgan had to explain her "plan" for the day. She closed her eyes and took a couple of calming breathes. Then she walked to the side of the table and gave a little bow to everyone. Then came the motor mouth, "Okay. Egg-experiment time, heh. Foist-first, I wanna sssay thank you all f-for coming. I appreciate thine heh-help greatly." She smiled at them, before her head darted around scanning the room, "Safety stuff tis uh in'na pile t-t-there," Morgan points at the collection of things everyone had been adding too by the door. She flushes and chuckles "Bu~ut ye prob-ab-ably already ken t-that. And it meh-bee best to set-prep those foist-first in case of trouble, right?" Well it made sense to be prepared incase of another flaming raccoon incident.

She turns and points to the opposite side of the room from the table, "Oh-oh! A-a-and there tis the ssspace cleared for the t-t-test itself." The area she pointed out opposite the table is very clean. The walls have been wiped, the floors are clear without a trace of dust. The thoroughly cleaned area extends two yards from the wall. Morgan then gestures to Ava by raising her right arm and aiming her thumb at the Scrivener, "Ah-and Ava hazzz brought the dummy-torso-thing to use. Sssso we need to...um...fix it? Set it? Oh-oh ah-and get the suit," She stopped and blinked a couple of times, then laughed nervously once more, "Or-just-coat-really. C-c-can leave the rest unda-under the table. Um..."...Morgan eyed the cloth dummy's stand warily, "Heh-hopefully it shall nay be too-too heavy for the dummy."

The next action Morgan took was to gasp in deep breathes. She needed to learn to talk and breath at the same time better.

S
    Saeyer

Ava's head tilted a little to the side at Morgan's question, but she shook her head with a small mouth-shrug. It was hard to tell if the switch from 'fine' to 'well' meant anything substantial. "I'm well, thanks for asking. A bit tired, as ever, but hey."

Her eyes landed on Ramona and the axe, a couple choice jokes coming to mind, but her friend was, well, carrying an axe. So she settled for a grin and a wave. Lynn and Daniel were greeted in turn with smiles and quiet greetings; it seemed like a good group of people to be making sure Morgan didn't set the building on fire doing an experiment.

At the mention of the dummy, Ava slapped a hand onto the dress form's mid section. "The body just locks into the base, I can do that now. And I think the weight should be fine, the base is nice and wide...ish. As long as nothing hits it hard enough to overbalance I think we'll be good." She shrugged, and picked up the form to begin settling it onto the base. After a moment of lifting, twisting, and a brief glare as something resisted longer than she thought it should, the shoddy form was in one piece and standing tall.

"Alright!" she said triumphantly, taking a step back to admire it. "It's ready for clothes whenever. And let me know where you want it." It had wheels, it would be easy to move.

Seeing the mischief in Ava's eyes when they land on the axe, Ramona smirks when Ava's gaze returns to her face. Her and Morgan's amusement were understandable. Sure, go ahead and laugh. But if we have to chop our way out of a burning warehouse, I'm ready! She's always seen it as part of her job to be prepared. Especially to be prepared for danger. Even if it seems a little unlikely. At Morgan's suggestion, she opens up her first aid kit, moving the most relevant items for burn-treatment to the fore, and then picks up one of the fire extinguishers. "So, who's conjuring the flame?" She asks the room. It's an ability she lacks, and she's curious.

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

Daniel dropped down into a cross-legged sitting position on the cold concrete and began to settle as he started up the computer.

"Not I," he responded absently to Ramona's question "Conjured a burning ghost once but I helped him find peace after that, so he's not around anymore. And given this warehouse hasn't burned down." Yet "There probably aren't any people who've recently died in a fire around here." All of this was expressed very calmly and matter-of-factly, as the Gravewight began opening up a couple programs on his laptop.

"Have we got anything to measure temperature?" he asked looking up from his work. He still wasn't sure exactly what stats Morgan wanted recorded.
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

"Okay," Morgan nodded at Ava's confirmation of her good health. She let out an "oh" when Ava explained how the dummy worked. "Um, it-t probably tis best to put it in the clean ssspot," she pointed to the area opposite the table, "No debris to-to reduce risk of spreadin' the flames." Morgan quickly ducked down under the table to retrieve the coat-section of the suit, tossing the helmet/visored-hood and a glove behind her as she rummaged on her knees. Leaning back she stumbled, falling on her rear with a squeak, as she pulled out the silver coat.

As Ramona asked the important question, she turned around on the floor to look at Ramona,"Um..." did none of them have that power? She looked to Daniel, to Ava, and finally to Lynn. Ramona inquired, so unlikely she has it. Ava is fish so low chances. Lynn tis a motley mate so I she'd probably have mentioned it...especially after I "learned" I could. Daniel...oh, nope. She didn't even try to hide the disappointment at Daniel's tale of firey ghosts. This was awkward. Morgan tilted her head to the left so she could scratch the top with her left index claw, "I heh-heh had hoped one of ye w-would have firepower, heh..." After a pause, the raccoon's head dropped as she sighed, "I can do it b-b-but it'll only be small-tiny nay, uh...grout? Nay--stout? Oh-oh, gout! Nay be a gout of flame." She stood up and chuckled, "Ah-Ava and Lynn c-can totally vouch for me being able t-to go flame-on, heh-heh..." then she gave a mischevoussmirked as she chimmed: "Bu~ut no stripping this ti~ime."

Morgan turned to Daniel with a shrug: "Nope. Thermometers don't heh-heh like fire. I held one at s-start and it stayed at room temp. But, uh, it k-kinda went boom on release, heh." That had been a surprise. Morgan was unaware of ranged heat sensors. And she was getting embarrassed again, "Sorry. Nay s-suppose the sensor d-detects heat, does it? Not s-sure if camera will heh-help...could picture me-flame vs torch flame affects. Maybe...maybe..."

She froze in place for a moment then her eyes widened, well more then usual. "Heh-hey! 'nother egg-speriment idea. We may l-lack gauges b-but we c-c-can see how weak-strong Wyrd flame tis ah-against extinguishers." A tangent that didn't help with measuring but it was something.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread