DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

It was understandable that the Nix had difficulty tracking the Wasp's motion, the motion of her feet, and the motion of their conversation as well. That had been the whole point of prodding her into speaking, after all. Well, that, and Coco was impatient and didn't want to wait to ask later. Though that was a much smaller part. More importantly, but watching how Ava performed when a distraction was introduced, Coco was able to see what areas the Nix truly needed to work on, and which could be addressed afterwards. So, after a few more minutes of back and forth the Wasp held up a hand and then disengaged their blades.

"That's good for now. And well done. Especially for a beginner, though I can't say that I'm surprised. You always struck me as someone that was sensitive. In a perceptive way, I mean," Coco explained, knowing the archivist would understand her usage of the word. A definite benefit of befriending someone who was so enamored of books.

"And also, thank you for telling me that. I know it's not a pleasant to remember things like that, but I'm glad you shared. It's made me think that perhaps I also need to be taking classes from you. I only know a few elementary things about how to influence my own dreams, but I'm sure I'd be ripe picking for someone even half as skilled as you. But we can talk more about that later. For now, we're going to do some footwork drills. First, watch me..."

The Wasp turned to the side so she could demonstrate in profile, and began to slowly model how to move without displacing the center of gravity and without changing the profile of her body. For in fencing, lines were everything. Lines were life. She offered some commentary as she moved, imagining that the Nix was probably someone that learned best through words, but there was only so much that could be said, in the Wasp's opinion. So, after the demonstration, she turned back to the Nix and had them both begin to move forward and back again.

After about five minutes of that, she transitioned them again into the sensitivity exercise, this time providing corrections as they moved back and forth. Though, after she had gone a few minutes without having to repeat a correction, she piped up with another question.

"So, tell me Ava, where do you think your greatest strength is in a fight?"
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Saeyer

Praise? A compliment? And then thanks in quick succession? It almost made Ava uneasy, even as she enjoyed them. Was this what it was like to actually be Coco's friend, or was it more than that, an angle she herself might work? The possibility also existed that the praise was merely good form in teaching an uneasy student, so maybe she was being too quick to read into it. Time would tell, she imagined.

The idea of teaching Coco more about oneiromancy was eminently appealing to her, and despite the fact that she had little time to answer with more than a vague affirmation, Ava fully intended to bring it up again later. She would need to be careful, though, not to abuse the potential connection for the sake of her curiosity; what did the wasp dream of, what were the underlying patterns in her mind? It would be an exercise in willpower, certainly.

Going through the motions and doing as she was told, the next question was more difficult for her to answer than the first. "I'd... like to imagine that it's my intelligence, or wits, and maybe it is in oneiromachy, but in a real fight..." The Nix trailed off briefly, brow knit.

"I'm not fast or strong, usually my best option is to try my hardest not to be in a fight at all. But, when it happens, I'd say my greatest asset is my will to survive. And I know exactly how strong that is." It didn't translate into any measurable physical ability, but it changed the way she thought about the fight; there were more options available to people who weren't as precious about others' well-being. At least, not if they were infringing on her ability to stay alive.

"What about you, what's your greatest strength?" Speed, maybe? Training? It only seemed fair to turn it around, and she was curious. What did the wasp see as her greatest advantage?

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

A smirk blossomed upon the Wasp's face and she gave a most satisfied little shrug.

"Oh, well, nothing that I haven't already told you. It's simple: my strength is that I can't be touched if I do not wish it, and while the enemies attacks strike only air, mine hold the promise of a most lethal sting. Not that I'm perfect,"
    she explained gesturing dismissively with her offhand, "for instance I'm not particularly skilled at fighting more than one opponent at a time, but in a duel, well, I would hazard to say that there is probably no one better in the Freehold. And that is a claim that I would test on any day."

The Wasp's smugly satisfied lasted for several seconds longer before it morphed into a small moue and then disappeared behind a mask of professional joviality.

"Anyways, that's something you'll want to consider as we continue to train. Particularly what you said. Keep that in mind, and never lose sight of it, for what I teach you is useless if not adapted to suit you. Not that this is an excuse for poor form, mind you," Coco explained, giving Ava's left calf a tap with her sword, "but form and style are not synonymous. Rather, form is what allows you to develop your style. Does that make sense?"
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Saeyer

There was Coco. The swift change in her demeanor was oddly comforting, justification for Ava's belief that something was off; it just wasn't being hidden, as she had feared. It seemed much more like Coco trying on a persona for the purpose of the lesson, which was then allowed to slide off occasionally in favor of a skip and a wink. As long as she didn't feel like Coco was out to trick her, the Nix could take the character changes.

Adjusting her footing in accordance to what she thought the tap on her calf meant, Ava nodded. "Yeah, it does. Form is like a tool for a craft, what you do with it once you know how to use it creates your style." At least, that's what she thought it meant. "How long would you say it really takes for someone to develop a recognizable style?"

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

An intriguing question, the Wasp thought with a contemplative frown. She crossed her arms as she thought, her offhand rising up to brush at her chin before she finally decided upon an answer.

"Truthfully, I believe that style is something that begins to emerge from the beginning, from the inception of the idea that the student is capable, and will only become more so. However, without proper form, such style is muddied, so I'd likely say that it would take perhaps a year, or two, for someone to develop their style if they train fiercely. If they do not, then it might take longer. Still you'd be surprised by what you can read in someone's movements. Why, even now I can sense that you are going to be a more defensive fencer. You'll probably take to having your weight on you back leg once you begin to bout."

S
    Saeyer

The assertion that she might well turn out to be a defensive fencer perplexed Ava for a moment as she tried to decide exactly what that meant. But, it was exactly what she'd said, wasn't it? Her own survival, not the defeat of the other person. Shoring up a defense like she accumulated goodwill, something to depend on just in case.

The idea that that showed in her movements, though, that something so simple could tell so much, was a little alarming. "Well, if its going to take a couple of years I guess I better get started." She stepped in and out of the stance Coco had shown her, trying to make the motion natural.

"Have you spoken to Ramona, since the flea market?" The question was nonchalant, the Nix's eyes fixed on her own legs and feet.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Keep your spine straight," the Wasp corrected, falling into stance once more in front of the Nix. "Now let's work the movement in. As we did before. Then we'll start you on lunges.

"And no," she added, "I haven't spoken with her since. I wanted to give her space. I figured that it would be in ill taste to force my company upon her. And...truthfully, I don't know if we do make for good company for the other. I like to talk. She doesn't. I don't really know how to maneuver around that. How to coax her into speaking, or how to feint past her guard," she explained, the squeak of their shoes across the linoleum accompanying her words.

8. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

"Ramona likes to talk, she just has to be comfortable." Spine appropriately straightened, at least until she forgot and began to slouch again, Ava moved through what she had been shown. "You know, the first time she and I met we didn't know what to make of each other. She came to me for advice about something, I gave it, she didn't like it; I think we both left sort of frustrated because we approach things very differently." Instead of dislike, maybe it had just been a failure to communicate: both had seen what they considered to be the obvious option, and been talking about completely separate things.

"Then she was gone for awhile, but when she came back we just talked, hung out. Maybe she was just tense the first time or something, but if you give her space and listen..." Wrinkling her nose as she made a mistake, Ava continued. "From how you worded it, it sounds like you're fighting Ramona, not talking to her. Maybe there's a way to change how you think about it that could help."

She tugged at part of the suit that had ridden up, and adjusted her stance once again. "But, you don't have to." While Ava thought Coco and Ramona mighe be good for each other in various ways, as friends, it wasn't something she was about to push. Some people didn't mesh well, and the decision of whether or not to try and change that was up to them.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

A frown alighted upon the Wasp's face, as she pondered what the Nix had said, the normally outlandishly egotistical woman looking worried and hesistant, not unlike how reticence Ava had also been before their fencing lesson had begun. But no matter the front of disposition that Coco so often projected, such an insecure look was not as unnatural as she might try to make it appear, for vanity and pride were often bulwarks projected by those too fearful to acknowledge the flaws within themselves, and when it came to Coco's relationship with Ramona, there were only two choices: fabricate delusions to maintain a self protective reality, or cast of the cloak of vainglory and admit her failings. Yet, for the Lost, the stuff of dreams lay with firm affinity in their minds, as the Oneiromancer Nix surely knew, even if the caress of reality was coveted so strongly.

Except that they were not in a Dream, nor any realm more fantastic than one where a rich TV celebrity might run for president, and so Coco turned to Ava for help.

"Maybe instead of dream combat, you could coach me on that. How to make her comfortable and, well, I'm not sure, but you're a keen judge of character and her best friend as well. You must now some secret or strategy...even if you keep slouching like you're at your desk,"
    she added, more snappishly then she'd intended to.

"Here, why dont we do this. We'll set the swords down and just focus on the movement,"
    she suggested, reaching out to take the practice blade.

11. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Ava bit her tongue as Coco snapped at her, more to forestall some potentially inappropriate laughter than because she was upset by it. It was true, her spine kept curling into the posture it was used to, hunched over a book at the desk in her hollow or on her couch, even her little dining table. But laughing right on the heels of Coco making such an unusual, potentially vulnerable expression felt like a recipe for disaster, even if the reason was wholly unrelated.

The practice sword was handed off without a fuss, her mind settling onto the wasp's new request. "Strategy still makes it sound like a fight, but I get what you're saying." There was more reluctance in her demeanor than when oneiromachy had been on the table, with a whole host of reasons why teaching Coco how to get on Ramona's good side was dubious at best. Would that cross some boundary between herself and the Ogre? It felt like regifting without the original giver's blessing.

"I don't know if I'm comfortable telling you how to 'handle' Ramona, I don't think it would actually help anything. If you don't approach her with sincerity..." Ava shrugged, the futility of such an action pretty clear in her eyes. "We could spend some time comparing the ways you and I respond to things, and what may or may not be working the way you want it to, but I wouldn't want to center it too closely on Ramona."

It felt a little silly to try and protect Ramona in that way, when she was quite capable of taking care of herself. At the same time, the Ogre was slow and cautious when it came to developing friendships and she didn't want to violate that. It was hard to imagine her being anything other than incredibly pissed off if Coco mentioned Ava had been giving her any tips beyond what she'd already said. Any rapport she might build with Coco during such an exchange wouldn't be worth the consequences.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread