DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

In a quaint neighborhood, before the steps of a spanish mission style building, a Wasp sat in the sun, patiently awaiting for the arrival of her friend, the Fish. The Wasp did not buzz, however, nor did she threaten to sting anyone. Instead she sat with her ipod in and Coach sunglasses shielding her faceted eyes from the sun. Antennae bobbed absently to the beat of her music, and occasionally she checked her phone, though her friend the Fish wasn't yet due to arrive for a few minutes. Still, the Wasp was inpatient and couldn't wait to present her friend with her uniform and epee which sat packaged and tucked away in the Wasp's gym bag.
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Saeyer

She hadn't known quite what to expect when Coco asked for her measurements, but as soon as she'd been able to take them the information had gone off to the Wasp. Her own request had been precariously vague, Ava realized after the fact, but any understanding of any sort of blade would eventually be of use, she was sure. And really, a knife was a knife, wasn't it? Whatever she learned could be adapted to her needs... probably.

Arriving at the address Coco had sent her, the Fish didn't look quite as svelte as her compatriot. Ratty jeans that had most likely once been black, before she wore and washed them into their grave, were coupled with a lumpy brown sweater that revealed a tanktop beneath. A basic approximation of workout clothes were stuffed into the bag over her shoulder as she raised a hand, toothy mouth splitting into a smile. "Hey! Thanks for being up for this, I really appreciate it."

Her appreciation was dual-fold: utilitarian, and vaguely conniving. But, it seemed doubtful it would do either of them much harm.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

A pleased grin appeared upon the Wasp's lips when she saw Ava's adorably frumpy form appear down the sidewalk and she leisurely popped her earbeads out when she saw the Fish raise a hand to hail her. The sunglasses, however, stayed on. It was sunny, after all, but the Wasp found another reason to be glad she'd worn them when Ava began to talk. The light that spilled from the Archivist's mouth was far less distracted when it was muted through tinted glass. Not to mention that it was much harder to be caught staring.

So, smile spreading wider, the Wasp popped up to her feet and stepped towards Ava, arms wide and open for a quick hug.

"It's my pleasure," Coco offered as she stepped back (hug accepted, or declined). "This is, after all, exactly what I do. In fact, this building is actually where I spend my Thursday evenings to train in classical Italian fencing with a historical martial arts group. They're not as good as I am, of course, but they do know more, I would say. Still! I'm glad that I can share this with you. It'll be a challenge, I won't lie," the Wasp promised with a devilish grin, "but I think you'll enjoy it, too. How can you not love learning how to master your body, after all?"

The Wasp clearly thought the question to be rhetorical, or perhaps just expected Ava to answer on the move, as the Wasp hefted her own gym bag onto her shoulder and then lead Ava into the building. It was clearly one that had been remodeled several times, for the front was designed like a theater, but as they strode further back the rooms became more varied until they arrive at what looked like a classroom, but minus any desks.

"This is it! Room 11! Oh! But you might want to change into your uniform now, I suppose. There's a bathroom nearby if you're feeling bashful," she teased, dropping her bad onto the ground and quickly digging through it to remove two packaged, white pieces of clothing, pants and a jacket, and handed them over.
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Saeyer

The hug was accepted with no hesitation, a new element to their relationship but not an unwelcome one. What had begun as an attempt to ensure others' comfort by not touching them without express permission had eventually revealed itself for what it was: she had a particular issue with touch, outside of shaking hands and companionable shoulder touches. David was going a long way toward alleviating those concerns, but it was nice to have another with whom she could share such simple comfort as a hug.

She answered the wasp's grin with one of her own, crooked and perhaps preemptively rueful at the knowledge that this would not come easily to her. This is what I get for never following up with Morgan or Mal and all that knife-fighting business. Granted, this was much nicer than practicing in an alleyway while Mal scowled at her because she couldn't be as mean as she wanted to be. Keeping up with Coco as they made their way through the building, she allowed the question to be a rhetorical one to save her own pride.

"Oh!" The clothes were accepted with no small amount of surprise, but at least she knew what the measurements were for now. "Thanks! I'll be right back." Ava could accept being teased for bashfulness, and for a lot of thing, but with a general knowledge of Coco's preferences, it seemed more appropriate to change in the bathroom. She thought she had a pretty good idea of what Coco was into from Catherine, and she didn't fulfill any of those benchmarks, but their very first meeting had left an impression. Better safe than awkward, for either of them.

Returning a few moments later, the spindly Archivist tugged at a couple of the seams as she got used to the fit of the uniform, hoping she hadn't somehow managed to put it on wrong. "Full disclosure, I really don't do much aside from jogging. So I stand before you a raw beginner, who took a knife-fighting class in an alleyway once and didn't get much out of it," she joked, trying to cover the nervousness blossoming in her chest.

It hadn't occurred to Ava that she would feel quite that out of place, but most of the learning she did was done in private, from books and practice. There wasn't usually anyone there to see if she failed, or be frustrated with her when she was slow to understand, especially someone as excitable as Coco. Hopefully this hadn't been a mistake.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

The Wasp didn't mind that Ava had gone off to seek privacy. It was, after all, an answer to the question the Wasp had not actually asked, but had wanted answered. That was what the teasing remark had truthfully been for. A way to test boundaries, and mark them out. Because knowledge of where their relationship stood, and what it consisted of, was crucially important, not just for the future, but for this training process as well. If she were to prod Ava in the wrong direction while they exercised she could destroy the entire learning process for Ava, and potentially more. For, though the Wasp was no great expert with relationships, she did realize that this was a gesture of trust of Ava, and for that gesture to be rebuked, even if only in Ava's mind, would undo far more than it could possibly gain.

Thus, as the Fish sought privacy and put on her uniform, the Wasp also changed, though she had no compunctions about hiding herself. Her mind was too occupied with the training regime she was planning.

Fortunately, she'd spent many hours drawing up ideas already, otherwise she would have been woefully under-prepared as Ava stepped back into the room not long after. The Wasp looked her over with a critical eye, checking for any strange protrusions or folds in the cloth outfit. Finding none, Coco simply nodded, reached down to pull two practice swords from her bag, and walked over to hand one to Ava.

"Jogging is good," she encourage, presenting the sword's grip to the Nix. "It builds endurance, and helps one get in touch with the body's rhythm. Which is important. So, that all seems well and good, though I can promise you that this will be quite different from a knife fighting class in an alleyway. As for what you'll get out of it," the Wasp gave an elegant shrug, one that suggested, perhaps, she didn't have quite the same skeleton as everyone else.

"That depends on you. So, tell me, what inspired you to decide to learn how to wield a blade? Was it the Sandman? Do you wish to know how to dispatch someone, lest run into another like him?" Coco asked, her faceted eyes fixing themselves gravely upon the Nix's own.

S
    Saeyer

Ava accepted the practice sword, holding it awkwardly at her side as she listened to Coco. Her body's rhythm wasn't something she spent a lot of time thinking about, or what that really even meant. But the last bit, that she had considered.

"It was the Sandman, but less about skewering him. During the time I spent fighting him, in the dream, I was using a blade; there was a child we wanted to put at ease, it seemed beneficial to hit the 'heroic' mark. Armor, sword." A small shrug; the decision had made sense at the time, despite how silly it seemed now. "With the way dreams function, the fact that I don't actually know how to use a blade only impeded me a little, but I know I could've been more effective. And I want to be, for the future. He wasn't, isn't, the only predator in the Skein, just the one that made the loudest noise."

Adjusting her grip, the Nix returned Coco's gaze as levelly as she could. After a moment of consideration, she spoke again. "While I don't imagine I'll be challenged to many duels, it would also be good to have some understanding of how to use a sword this side of my pillow. I don't want to be the person no one wants to involve in anything dangerous because they'd just get stabbed, mauled, whatever." It wasn't in her nature to go looking for a fight, and she had options other than run or be steamrollered, thanks to Contracts, but it would be good to give herself even more options. Especially one she could use around mundies.

Besides, her own, previously-used method of 'dispatching' had everything to do with opportunity, water and her bare hands, nothing that was likely to help in a fight against privateers, hobs, cultists, dragons- anything actually important.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Well, if you are looking to avoid being stabbed or mauled," Coco replied after a few moments, "then the first thing that we have to work on is your grip. Which will be quite different then what you'd want to use with a knife, or a longsword, dream or no. Here, watch how I hold it," she continued, turning so that Ava could see the demonstration.

"See, instead of holding it like you would a hammer, or something else you'd swing with, so we must adjust our grip so that the point of the blade becomes an extension of our arm. It must be in line with the forearm, to be more precise, so we use our thumb and forefinger to grip the
    ricasso, here," she explained, placing her own thumb and forefinger along the 'unsharpened' part of the blade still behind the handguard. "Then, we rest the handle against the bottom part of our hand and use the ring finger and pinky to stabilize it. Try."

Coco stepped back, gesturing at Ava encouragingly with her off hand.

"This is a thrusting weapon, primarily, and the defense it gives us is due to its length, which is why it's important to maximize our control of the blade with the grip...And, once again, I really am not sure just how much this might help you in dreams, so just remember that any advice I give is based off of my experiences in the waking world...which reminds me. It's rather difficult to carry around a sword in public. Would you like me to try and teach you about blades besides the rapier and its ilk?"

S
    Saeyer

The Nix was impressed, despite herself, by Coco's demeanor. It wasn't so much that she hadn't believed the Claviger could be professional, or take this seriously, but it was different to see it in action.

Looking from Coco's hand to her own, Ava listened carefully to the explanation. She had been holding it a lot like a hammer, she realized as the wasp demonstrated the proper way; a lighter, more mobile touch. The specifics were still fuzzy to her, but at least the thumb and forefinger were easy enough to emulate. It still looked like there was something more fluid in Coco's grip than her own, but all of Coco's movements were smoother than hers so the real differences were difficult to gauge. "Like this?" It was still a little awkward, but Ava didn't feel quite as much like she was just holding a sharp club anymore.

"A lot of oneiromachy, and oneiromancy in general, is based in imagination; if I understand it better, I can imagine how to use it better. I think pretty much anything you can tell me will help." Shifting the sword, still trying to mimic the proper placement of her hand and wishing it felt more natural, Ava pursed her lips. "I would definitely appreciate knowing a bit more about how to handle a knife; like you said, more portable. Longswords and such aren't really where I'm looking to go."

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Then I'll make sure to work knife skills into our training," Coco replied, stepping close once again so that she could give a few manual corrections to the Nix's grip. Not that there was much to correct, but fencing was an art that required accuracy, and millimeters could make a profound difference, and in a most important way, for when truly had to rely upon their ability to fence, it was life itself that hung in the balance.

"There. That should be more comfortable for you," Coco finally said, satisfied, stepping around so that she stood in front of Ava. "Now, you're going to try to mirror what I do. We're going to take a stance," she explained, taking one step back and then dropping into an impeccable, basic fencing posture. "Keep your weight centered, about shoulder width. Now, raise your blade so it meets mine, about halfway. I'm going to move, you're going to follow me. Try to keep our blades matched, so they don't slide."

And, with that said, the wasp slid backwards slowly. Then again. Then pressed forward. Then back. And on the drill went, Coco testing Ava's sensitivity and watching how she moved. After about five minutes of this, she began to speak, curious how the Nix would do with a bit of distraction.

"What drew you to oneiromancy, by the way? What inspired you to become an expert in it?"

S
    Saeyer

Ava's grip properly adjusted, soft 'okays' answered several of Coco's statements. Take a stance- okay. Weight centered, raise blade- okay. It was more mental checklist than real words, spoken to herself as the Nix followed her instructor's moves. With the gingerness of someone overmeasuring their movements, she took a stance and mirrored the wasp as best she could. A couple of minutes into the exercise the rhythm became a little easier to find, and while she still preoccupied with whether or not she was doing it right, doing it at all was a little less of a challenge.

Just in time, of course, to be asked a question.

"Well," she began, eyes locked on their practice swords, "It began as necessity. When things with the Sandman started the only experienced oneiromancer was Ms. Jasons, everyone else had gone." Said like that, it almost sounded like they had wandered off for tea instead of fleeing or getting stuck inside an inferno. "So it was me, Mal, and a guy named Jason, with about half an idea of what we were doing between us. We got a crash-course from Ms. Jasons and then went right for it, no real understanding of how powerful he was. Got in fine, but when he showed up..."

She fumbled the sword slightly as her concentration slipped, taking a moment to readjust. "We couldn't even touch him. Mal and I delayed him long enough for Jason to get the kids out, but in the mix of things someone, a Freeholder I hardly knew, died. We might've been able to change that, if we could've gotten past him."

"So, guilt was a large part of it. That, and the Sandman was still around. Seemed only right to brush up, and I'd developed an interest. A taste for it, I guess." Correcting a bit of a slouch she'd let herself fall into while she spoke, Ava continued, voice softer. "I didn't know until we were confronting him again, but he'd been spying on me, pulling names and secrets out of my dreams. Oneiromancy is a horrible thing to misuse."

It wasn't the statement she intended to end on, but her breath was short from trying to speak, move, and concentrate on both at once and she focused back in, trying to keep up the physical back and forth.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread