Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(Necropolis) Tending the Dark Flock

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

([Necropolis] Tending the Dark Flock)Question Spent
    NOS
    PRE

Kenneth stands before the altar waiting for 'his flock' to arrive. Though he had reservation on both aspects. Whether they could actually be called 'his' and he no reservations that that they were anything but sheep. The lesser mind constantly reminded him that both Lord and Savage would wish him dead if he revealed his Beast. Instead, he drew comfort from the familiarity of the the setting. This was where he had been anointed, where he had worked and toiled many hours. The lapping of the water, the flickering light, and the misshapen wax were ever-changing icons of stability he could fall back on. While disturbing to other (especially the small flames floating on the water) he had spent enough time close to these fires that he was almost used to them.

Almost.

The primordial mind cried at him to be alert, for his final end was near. However, unlike most times, this time the nervousness worked towards Kenneth's advantage. Here in this place; family, faith, and favor worked to his advantage.

Testament of the Dark Prophet in hand, he went over a couple spots he had marked down. There was nothing else to do but wait for his fellow monsters to arrive.

While in the Dark Temple those with LC Status have +2 Social dice when speaking to those without such Status. However, this does not negate the Nosferatu curse.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

PRE

Josephine's pace was slow and measured as she entered the temple, her posture straight, her gaze imperious. The former priestess had paused to cross herself and mutter a prayer upon the temple's threshold, but now that her reverence had been observed, she coolly strode towards the Sanctified wretch clutching his Testament. Her own was held at her side, plain black leather obfuscating the text that lay within.

"Good evening, Brother Gilroy," she offered as she came to a stop mere feet from him. "It is a pleasure to see that this house of the Divine has not suffered from your absence."

3. Likes Wod.Infant, West liked this post
    I've Done Things... Bad Things.

Domain Status (Bloodhunted)
    Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

Equipment: Reinforced Clothing, Athletic Shoes, Combat Knife, Testament of Longinus

The wily Savage comes next, clothed in his thick leather jacket and treaded footwear. Though these faithful are his allies at present he always allows for the possibility of a sudden ambush. He wears protection, a combat knife concealed in a sheath at the back of his belt. More visibly he is armed with a brass cross around his neck and a hardcover book, a gift from the former Priestess. A better shield than most in the company of these Kindred.

The descent into the Necropolis is unnerving even to him, having found no issue with the dilapidated streets above. Perhaps he should feel honored to be invited to the underground temple. The light of the lit candles are of little comfort in these darkened halls, their flames a silent promise of the hellfire that await them all.

At the sight of the worm, Konrad grimaces momentarily, the dim light etching his displeasure in exaggerated creases across his face. The familiar Beast of the rival inflames his rage for the doll-faced predator, empowered by her Office as well as an agent of the First Estate. How unlikely that they would still be able to cooperate under their crusader flag.

"Brother, Sister," offers Konrad in a simple hello. And were they not each of them brothers and sisters of the faith?

5. Likes Cayce liked this post
    Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

The people that wanted to kill him appeared. He knew he should be running, at the same time he knew that with the Beast concealed they didn't actually mean him harm. At least on an instinctual level. It didn't make the task of staying put and looking calm any easier. It never did but he did it all the same.

"Welcome and good evening to both of you, Sister Josephine and Brother Konrad. I'm glad you both of you were able to make it." Gilroy did his best not to fidget with the Testament.

"This will be a fairly informal meeting," he stated first; there was very little use for pomp and circumstance between the three of them. Especially considering the fact that two weren't even officially sworn to the Lance. "I plan to go over several topics. However, I want you to feel free to bring up anything you think needs to be discussed." Indeed, it had basically been Konrad who had called this meeting, Aside from wanting to hear Kenneth's plans, the Haunt was pretty sure there were other things the Savage wanted to talk about.

With that preamble, Kenneth dove right in.

"First, as sole Priest, I will be taking the role of Bishop and confessor. While I can't grant confidence if you break any of the Domain's laws, in all other spiritual matters you can be assured of my silence and if it is in my power I will advocate on your behalf if the crime is less than Diablerie or Siring. And of course you can extend this offer to any Kindred you feel is in moral turmoil." His eyes briefly met Josephine's as if in invitation. Leaving the covenant and killing Marco certainly spoke of someone losing their footing spiritually. Confessional had been mentioned too. Of course, Kenneth's comments targeted Konrad more than a little as well. If another Carthian was targeted for monomancy, Kenneth could offer a glimmer of hope beyond Final Death. Hope that depended on Gilroy's persuasive abilities. As Reeve, Sterling had very little reason not to dole out her own punishment. However, if she was smart as well as faithful, even she might be able to benefit.

"Tangentially," he continued turning toward Roth "Penance was mentioned at court. Have you completed it since then?" Gilroy wasn't going to force Konrad to talk about whatever it was he had done. The Haunt hadn't been the one to pronounce judgement after all.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

"Thank you, Brother Gilroy, for your offer of guidance. And yes. My penance," begins Konrad, pausing to choose his words carefully.

"My shame is that in my past I have fallen to frenzy. I've taken a life and succumbed to the will of the Beast. But even more than that, I delivered death without a sense of purpose and without regret. Though I regret it now. Sister Sterling," he says, turning to Josephine. "Has heard these sins and had suggested to me an act of penance. A sacrifice to God, one made with the purpose for which God made us, against a deserving Kine."

"A sacrifice which I have made." Pause for dramatic effect.

"So I chose my Ghoul, a man who I have seen deteriorate over the years into a sinful creature unworthy of God's care. His lust for violence and his weak-will made him an appropriate candidate." He turns back to Kenneth as he continues. "You yourself saw him for his recklessness. So I dispatched him, making it look like a suicide, to remind the Kine to be thankful for the lives God has granted them. And I exposed his addictions by leaving drugs for authorities to find. He will serve as a reminder of what awaits those lost lambs who succumb to sin, though I know I am likely to blame for much of the corruption that tested him. I know better now."

8. Likes Wod.Infant, Cayce liked this post

PRE

Having, in the isolation of her own spiritual turmoil, missed the scandal caused by Konrad's ghoul at the Carthian's beach party, Josephine was startled to hear of Konrad's choice of sacrifice. To kill one's own ghoul, to cast off such a costly resource, was never an easy task. Even if one was tired of the ghoul, though it certainly did not sound as though that was the case for Konrad now. No, such a Sacrifice was truly a worthy penance. An act of sacrifice, a rejection of the desires of the material in favor of the spirit of faith.

"A difficult trial that must have been, Konrad, but the blood you let in holy sacrifice has rectified your sins, I have no doubt," Josephine assured the criminal. "I could not think of more fitting blood to shed upon the Lord's altar. I shall use your example as inspiration for when I, too, confess, after our meeting concludes."

For, though it was likely more appropriate for the Priest to decide upon the date of the confession, Josephine saw no reason not to delay. She was already in the temple, after all. Were Gilroy to turn her away, he would be neglecting his duties, rather than she be neglecting her observation of faith.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Kenneth had his doubts about the appropriateness of the sacrifice. He well remembered the ghoul's attack at the beach and all the trouble it caused. Even without penance Gilroy could see Konrad needing to take down the man to prevent any further risk of a Breach. Still, it was done, it had to be done, and it was done in the name of the Lancea et Sactum. That was enough for Gilroy not to question it further.

"You did well. After the things he did, a quick death is the best thing he could hope for," he assured Roth, though the Haunt hoped too much suffering had needed to be inflicted. They were predators but they didn't need to be cruel.

"And I look forward to hearing your confession once we are done," he said when Josephine brought it up.

"Continuing on to the next point; Konrad, you asked me if I had any plans. Gathering converts is still my primary concern. However, I don't believe sermons or proselytizing is a good way to go." Mostly because Gilroy wasn't especially good at either, but also those methods would probably alienate most Kindred of modern sensibilities. "As such, when Black Mass is held it will be closed to those not yet converted. Instead, I will hold seminars on a regular basis at the Moore House for discussion of the Testmanent, Lancea et Sanctum history, and customs. All aimed specifically towards those who are less than familiar with the Church." As far as ideas went 'hold seminary classes' wasn't one of Gilroy's best. However, Josephine's Mass had demonstrated there were those out there that might be interested in discussion and a study group was less hostile environment than during a ritual ceremony. "There are more than a few Unaligned in the Domain. Alessanrda, Vivian, and Garrick to name a few. I think learning about the Lancea would let them know it is here to support them spiritually and other ways. Even if they eventually decide to join another covenant." Because Heaven knew Konrad and Josephine probably would try to recruit them if they could.

"I also plan to beginning studying Theban sorcery, to show the power available to those that dedicate themselves a more religious life." If he could break the code in deciphering how it worked. HE really needed to start looking through those archives.

"All that being said, I am open to suggestions for additional ways the Faith could be strengthened in the Domain."
    Mask of Tranquility

11. Likes Cayce liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"I think that's best. Not everyone who attended the last Mass came with the best intentions." Konrad thinks on Marco and Gerald taking part in the sacrament without any true acceptance of the faith. A disaster waiting to happen perhaps.

"Religion is one of those things that doesn't really come up in polite conversation, mind you. But the need for it is there. We all want something more, that craving for meaning in our sinful Requiems. I've had a chance to bring up the faith with other members of the Domain, just to try and spark their interest. Still, maybe it's better if I just point them your way, Brother."

"But I think what we've got here, the three of us, is a good opportunity. Maybe even divine providence. We have the faithful in the First Estate and the Movement. We can spread the Word throughout the Domain to those most willing to hear it. I just hope I am able to overcome my ignorance and convey the message Longinus meant for his damned brethren."

PRE

"I think that you are right, Konrad. I think we have before us an excellent opportunity. Though, perhaps, not one for speech. I think that, as Bishop Gilroy has seen, words are not what will inspire the curiosity for faith. I believe that we must act. Act as those who heed Longinus' words should, and in doing so, we can inspire such action in those around us.

"Certainly, with the strength of the First Estate, the persistence of the Movement, and the Wisdom of the Sanctified we can accomplish this,"
    Josephine proudly surmised.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Gilroy definitely knew what Konrad meant about bringing up faith and belief in public. It was very uncomfortable for the Haunt just speaking about it here in the Temple. And the worm would honestly have preferred it if Roth could be the one to explain everything to any potential convert. Unfortunately, that would leave Kenneth out of a conversation he needed to be a part of if he was going to be the head of the faith. Plus Konrad probably wasn't quite as versed as even Gilroy.

"Of course, feel free to send them to me if you think they'd be interested in talking."

Kenneth nodded at Josephine's thought. Having members in both the Carthian Movement and the Invitcus placed Kenneth in a position of unique advantage. Also precarious, given the long standing disagreements between the two rival factions, but it did mean there was much more potential for temporal power than the Sanctum usually enjoyed.

"Your comment on acting leads well into my next point. My expectations and standards of behavior. The traditions of course must be upheld. The maintenance of the Masquerade is a sacred duty. The amaranth is an abomination. And finally, Siring is a sin. Though, should you truly wish for a Childe and the Prince has granted his favor, allowance can be made so long as certain conditions are met. First, that they be above the age of 18 and of sound mind. Second, the perspective Kine must be granted an informed decision to chose the Embrace. If these conditions are met, then I can enact the Creation Rite." Gilroy still had the scars from where he'd been whipped before the Embrace and it had almost changed his mind. However, if had he knew he would be killed. The Masquerade had to be upheld after all.

"On a less dogmatic level, I expect us to all act as brothers and sisters. Rivalry and competition is normal and healthy, but we must stand together against outside threats." It was a very Nosferatu attitude, but given the Faith's situation it seemed a good one to adopt, even if it included Kindred that weren't actually officially part of the covenant. Maybe because it included them.

"Finally on a spiritual level, I'd encourage you think about how your actions affect the Kine you drink from. Think of your feeding as you might a prayer or personal sacrament. Often it is easy for things to fall into thoughtless routine but it is important to remember that it is through execution of our sacred duties that we achieve fulfillment." Comfort was after all, one of the Lancea's greatest commodities.

"Now that I've gone over that, I'd like to turn the discussion around. What, if any, expectations do you have of me as your Bishop?" He had considered not asking that question. It had the high chance of making him look like a blind maggot searching for direction. However, keeping what small flock he had would help more in the long run than not looking weak for a few moments.
    Mask of Tranquility

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread