Ended
Watch

(1602) Couches Along a Corner

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    A
    Alkeni Synair

"I actually never got into the comic books. They've been going too long, and I'd have to start from the beginning. The investment of time and money to do that always seemed prohibitive, in the past." Also, she had issues with the comics style of writing, such as the propensity for characters, good and bad, to not be dead - ever, among other things. But this wasn't really the place for that discussion. "The Civil War Movie will either be excellent or terrible, I suspect." In answer to David's question, she elaborated on her interests: "I like most Science Fiction and Fantasy, but I prefer stories that are grittier in tone, with pragmatism at the core of what the characters do. Any sort of story in a world with a grand, sweeping history is garunteed to draw me in as well. The occasional historical fiction can tempt me as well, but most get too much of the history wrong for me to resist throwing them against the wall in frustration."

Sarah looked around the room, searching out the people that the Priscus had pointed out to see if she could recognize them a second time. Her beast snarled a few times at the sheer press of vampires, but she could keep it under control for the moment.

"I wouldn't be adverse to the idea of a book club." Sarah said in response to Nell's idea.

C
    Casitive

Thin fingers return Vivian's gift to the box with just as much care as it took to remove it. “Did you know,” David mentions airily to Vivian, “that when someone died in Egyptian thought, their hearts were weighed against a feather?” He lets the question hang before he adds, “I suppose that's where the phrases 'heavy heart' or 'lighter than a feather' come from. If the heart was heavier than the feather of truth and order, Ma'at, the spirit would be doomed.

The box is closed with nary a sound and spirited away into an interior pocket.

There was an attempt at a book club once, we read the book Future Shock by Alvin Toffler. I can't see why we can't restart it.” What David actually thinks of the book, what interests him and what he doesn't like about it are kept to himself.

Looking more solidly at Sarah, David nods his head giving some thought to her tastes. “You might like The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway. Or, perhaps, We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.” Going on to explain, “I like the dystopic black satires of early Soviet lit like Zamyatin and Bulgakov.” Fingers settle on David's knee at last and he relaxes a touch, finally getting used to being in Court once again.

V
    Vivian York

“Music speaks volumes, and not just the decibels. Our would be so dull without it.” Vivian put her hand up as a side note. “Were you aware that there was a CD produced with music inspired or re-mastered for a comic book? Songs of the Witchblade. Witchblade was also a very short TV series based on a comic book, which I never read. The art was beautiful though. Perhaps the only one that was appealing during that time for me. One of my favorite songs was ‘Go To Sleep’, sung by the lead singer of Type O Negative.” Sure it was a tangent, but at least it pertained to the comic book realm.

Vivian agreed with Sarah, for the most part. Albeit that old Kindred thought that they did have all the time in the world, their time was also precious to that individual.

The Daeva did wonder if she had really missed out in the realm of books. But there were so many other things to see and do. Reading seemed only a way to sneak away from reality. Which wasn’t in her Blood. And her Blood told her to take on things and caress them like fine silk.
    Then again, she was amidst Shadows. From what she’d understood by now, they liked their ‘me time’ or isolation from the general populous. There was nothing wrong with that either.

The Daeva turned to the Mekhet, “No, I was unaware of the phrase’s origins.” Her perplexed brow rose followed by a question. “So, because all hearts were clearly heavier, did they assume that all spirits would be doomed?”

Daisy Wen
    Daisy Wen

Daisy Wen

Wizened Artist
    Presence ●● (Vivacious)
    Striking Looks ●● (Delicate)
    Fame ● (Culture - Art World)
    Mantle (Spring) ● The scent of plum blossoms swirl around her, as their petals fall in her wake. Language - Mandarin.
    Mask

A slim and petite women, of seemingly fragile beauty. With hair as black as a raven wing, kept long, either loose around her shoulders, or pulled back into a bun. She has a fair complexion, with delicate features.
    Mien

This Porcelain fawn, Manikin is material, Beast in shape. Artist in reality. comprised a fine white china. Her hair, still long is glazed in jade. Dainty china antler-horns poke out from her hair. Unguligrades legs she crafted for herself, now support dainty deer hoofed feet. Her eyes are large, pupiless, and the entirety of the eye black as pitch. She's lean, her limbs are long, her fingers spindly, but carry a certainty and deftness when plying her craft.

Nell hummed a low sound from the back of her throat. "I know what you mean." Nell nods her head towards Sarah. "I've read some different story lines, I know some of the overarching stories within the varied comic universes, but I've been lazy." Smiling a tad sheepishly, "I've been watching the movies, and the TV shows more then I've kept up with the actual readings." she finishes with a laugh.

"I remember reading about their hearts being weighed against a feather, but I suppose it completely slipped my mind to link those phrases to that information." Nell replies with a thoughtful look on her sweet face. "A book club, even one not entirely focused on comic books, sounds fun. An instance for us to gather that's not heavy with politics...And we'd get to read books! Always a good thing!"

She turns her head towards the Daeva Whip, "Ah, yes! I've heard of Witchblade, seen the art. It is lovely, but my focus was on other things when it was gaining to popularity. So I haven't watched the TV show, nor have I read it...hmm...I think that's when I found 'Elfin Lied'." she says with a smile, then her brows furrow, "And Type O Negative? Besides sounding delicious...is it a band?" Nell asks tilting her head to the side.

A
    Alkeni Synair

Sarah nodded at David's reccomendations. "I'll look into them. I admit, I haven't read much from Eastern European authors - except for The Last Ringbearer. The Witcher series has been on my list for a while though as well." She liked a good dystopia, though she rather hoped they weren't going to read like Ayn Rand - Sarah had read a few passages from her and good god was that woman dense in her writing, or like Tolstoy. Reading War and Peace for that Lit class had been hell and a half.

"The Egyptian myths are a fascinating body of works," Sarah agreed. "Especially its longevity - the stories evolved over time with each new dynasty, and so untangling the myths to get to the original story is always a fascinating intellectual exercise." She'd never been as into studying myths as Mark had been, but she had found it interesting, and they'd talked about their mutual studies with eachother often enough.

C
    Casitive

David hums as he thinks of how to answer Vivian's perplexed brow and question. “It's more a spiritual definition of weight than a literal definition. You see, in Egyptian Thought, the heart – not the brain which they thought was useless – was the seat of intellect and the soul.” Lifting a hand, David pantomimes the weighing of scales like a see-saw; back and forth, up and down. “If a person lived life according to all that is right and good, worries and the weight of sin would not drag the heart down; it would be lighter than the feather. This wasn't done in our world, mind, it was done in the Underworld with the recently deceased there to watch.

The memes have been part of Humanity since time-immemorial. There is no such thing as Old Gods or New Ones. They've always been there; only the names humanity gives them are new.

Nodding at Sarah's remarks, David says, “Even beyond Egypt itself. Its influence on Rome was profound and from there, influenced Western Culture.” They are irrevocably tied to Egypt. M'kh't means balance. Their hearts hanging still and even against the feather; neither rising or falling. David's blood sings and longs for sand-harrowed pyramids it has never seen.

Turning his thoughts to the book-club, David notes, “Let's start with some of the classics. Preferably a short-story till we get our bearings?

V
    Vivian York

A pleased hum curled in the back of her through. “I like you.” Vivian grinned like a Cheshire in Nell’s direction. Although the thought of Blood send a whinging through her body. She’d certainly need a bite after. “Yes, it is a band. The series, when it was on, wasn’t half bad. But, it was very…. dated, per say.”

Egyptology was perhaps one of the things she enjoyed hearing or reading about that was more or less fact. How they worshiped Gods, their taste in perfumes, and dressing to the 9’s. “I can see why they would think that initially. It was tangible to feel it when emotions are triggered. Excited, happy, nervous, it coursed through veins. Of course I could be wrong in my train of thought. A very unique background to the long used phrase, David.”

It was probably the one thing that baffled the Daeva regarding David. There was so much ‘living’ to do, that he dwelled on death. Although, given his love had been lost and all the monomacies, she couldn’t blame him.

Nodding to Sarah as well. “The mythology has fascinated me from afar, truth be told.”

“If this book club had a night on all things Egyptian, I would fancy going.” She paused. Looked at her Shadow friend; clear on her face was a shock that she was actually saying this.

Daisy Wen
    Daisy Wen

Daisy Wen

Wizened Artist
    Presence ●● (Vivacious)
    Striking Looks ●● (Delicate)
    Fame ● (Culture - Art World)
    Mantle (Spring) ● The scent of plum blossoms swirl around her, as their petals fall in her wake. Language - Mandarin.
    Mask

A slim and petite women, of seemingly fragile beauty. With hair as black as a raven wing, kept long, either loose around her shoulders, or pulled back into a bun. She has a fair complexion, with delicate features.
    Mien

This Porcelain fawn, Manikin is material, Beast in shape. Artist in reality. comprised a fine white china. Her hair, still long is glazed in jade. Dainty china antler-horns poke out from her hair. Unguligrades legs she crafted for herself, now support dainty deer hoofed feet. Her eyes are large, pupiless, and the entirety of the eye black as pitch. She's lean, her limbs are long, her fingers spindly, but carry a certainty and deftness when plying her craft.

Caught under the Daeva's Cheshire grin, Nell wonders if having Vivian liking her was a good thing. 'Well...it's probably better than her not liking me.' Nell reasons - hopes. "Well I might have to check them, both the band, and the show, out then. It's not like I don't have the time." Nell says with a smirk.

Nell's quite as the others talk, a thought striking her with Vivian's shocked face. "Doing an Egyptian night, or nights would sounds...well I would love to do that. Hmm, would it be too out there if we did not do book-books, but varied cultures and their mythologies instead?"

s
    sumthingpositiv

Having finished her business with Garrick, Katya does a quick glance of the newcomers in the room, wanting to at least try and introduce herself to each before the night is over. Seeing that Kenneth walks off with one into a private area, Katya sees two sitting down next to David and Vivian. One word makes her ears perk and so she makes her way over to the others. Standing just a foot away so as not to intrude, Katya offers a bow to each person and says "Pardon me for interrupting Priscus Regan and Whip York. I simply wanted to introduce myself to these two ladies." she gestures to Nell and Sarah, offering them a friendly smile.

"I am Katya Harding, Seneschal to his Majesty and mm...sole member of the Circle of the Crone." it seemed selfish to deem herself Hierophant, she'd rather at least earn that from the vote of whichever other Acolyte who arrived in the Domain but that was for another night. Turning her attention to the group as a whole she says "I trust everyone's night is going well so far? I couldn't help but overhear someone mention mythologies."

A
    Alkeni Synair

The classics. Sarah bit back her preferred comment to that. The vast majority of the so-called 'classics' were, far as she'd ever been able to tell, crap. Overwraught writing, uninteresting stories, absurd analogies, florid and purple prose on every page and, of course, over-rating by a literary establishment that seemed to value a book more the more incomprehensible and boring it was. And anything that smacked of an interesting story or a bit of genre was so much garbage. Just because a book has spaceships and lasers, or dragons and wizards, or, god forbid, an engaging story, doesn't mean it has no higher value or deeper themes. Stil, there were a few 'classics' she could stomach.

"We could do whatever works for the group - it could be a book club-combation study-group. Talk about or discuss whatever subjects sound interesting. Studying mythologies can be surprisingly enlightening."

"Evening." Sarah nodded to the Acoylte when she introduced herself. "Sarah Townsend, of the Ordo Dracul." Only one Acolyte? Well, it was a small domain.

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 21

You do not have permission to view the list of names.