Ended
Watch

Morning at the Flea Market

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    S
    Saeyer

Cool water trickled down Ava's scalp as she stepped under one of the awnings at the Folsom Flea Market. The light rain was more than welcome to her, one of the least sinister forms water came in, but it slicked down her already damp hair more quickly than she might like. Drawing her hair back against her scalp in a futile attempt to wick some of the water away, she eventually gave up and just dripped quietly.

It was a pleasant surprise that the weather didn't seem to effect business, clusters of people still wandering the aisles of the striped tents and the large green warehouse. The stalls were full of everything from furniture to trinkets, vintage clothes to children's backpacks with colorful characters emblazoned on the pockets. Over the scent of rain and hotdogs from a nearby stand, the smell of things stored for some time was accompanied by a whiff of wet wool from passing coats and the occasional trail of cigarette smoke. By turns the vendors were friendly and dour, one inviting wandering customers to take a closer look while the next stared down anyone that approached them, already well over it despite the relatively early hour.

With a nondescript coffee cup in one hand and Ramona Bohannon at her other elbow, the Nix surveyed the stalls they had paused beside with sharp, dark eyes. "Okay, let me know if you see any clothes that I should look at. Also, knick knacks: the weirder the better." To practice dreamweaving she would need a number of objects to act as hosts; not wanting to give up her own possessions and too snobby to use trash, the flea market had seemed a good place to begin.

A morning person, Ramona is not. But, armed with a gigantic cup of coffee and a cruller, she can fake it. Sorta. Flea markets are cool, at least, or they can be. Her last experience with this one hadn't exactly gone to her satisfaction, but there was always hope for next time. "Sure thing," she replies to Ava as they wander, arm-in-arm, through the market. She's not really looking for anything. In Ramona's experience, flea markets have a tendency to reveal to her what they wish, and keep hidden what they wish. Her job is to keep her eyes open. Be available.

These days she's more careful about what she takes home, though. That's how her Keeper got her.

And there's always the weather-eye out for something out of place. Last time it had been a little corner-stall goblin mart. Could find another one of those here. Or maybe something else. Something interesting. Something advantageous. Something dangerous. You'll never know if you don't keep your eyes open. "Oh, here we go," Ramona nods towards a sign proclaiming The Joy of Junque for Collectibles & Antiques. "That looks like a good place for bits and bobs."

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Oh, my, my," a figure in a beige rain cape proclaimed, striding up to Ava and Ramona.

"Nothing quite like foul weather to bring people together, wouldn't you say?" Coco proclaimed, sliding her hood back to reveal her visage in all its grinning glory.

"There room for a third?" she asked, nodding towards the linked arms of the pair. "It's all right if you say no. I'll just have Alice keep me company. Coltrane, to be specific. Can you believe someone would want to get rid of her records? I got World Galaxy for only five dollars! Now I just need a record player and I'll be set!"

From the smile on Coco's face, it was clear she still considered her purchase an excellent deal.

"And what of you two? Found any relics from ancient lands, yet? Or curiosities that captivate?"
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Saeyer

Drifting along beside Ramona, Ava's eyes followed her friend's nod and narrowed slightly at the word junque. Gimmicky, but that didn't mean they wouldn't have interesting stuff. "Sure, let's check it out. Collectibles might be expensive, though." Peering at the outer area for the booth, the wasp's familiar voice sent a small start of surprise up her spine.

Straightening, her gaze alighted on Coco with an answering smile, which was only a little lopsided. "There's definitely room for a third, though I think we'd form an impressive obstacle if we all linked arms." That said, she removed herself from Ramona's arm to allow them all to stand together more easily. They'd talked about spending more time together, as a precursor for any sort of potential motley; why throw away a perfectly good chance.

The purchase Coco seemed so pleased about left Ava a little nonplussed, not because of any judgement passed on the artist but the apparet lack of record player. Still, she looked happy about it, so whatever. "Nothing to captivate, so far, but plenty that I find curious. Looking for trinkets, odds and ends. Like this," she said, spotting a small metal pillbox that someone had felt the need to embellish with oblong glass doll eyes. "Just like this." Quite pleased, Ava scooped it up and kept looking.

M
    Matrixchild

Wandering through the aisles he could feel the rain move in odd shapes across his icy exterior. It made him uncomfortable, but then again, so was life. He had ventured into the rain to look for more clothes. Cheap and affordable without much style was his type. Luckily there were many people who sold just that. Hand-me-down department store apparel with years of being broken in. Again, just his type. As he held a button up shirt with snaps instead of buttons he noticed the three Changelings who were taking in the flea market that day nearby.

He put down the shirt and casually approached. Without the hint of a smile Hank said, "Hello ladies. Funny seeing you here." He said funny, but no laugh or smile came. If Hank was in a comedy act he'd be the straight man, and even then it's curious if anyone would get the joke.

Ramona simply doesn't know what to do when Coco walks up to her and bombards her with all that unsolicited information. It's like there's no room in the conversation for her while Coco's talking. The Wasp just assumes that everyone is interested, and so volunteers so much... that Ramona finds it difficult to even get a word in edgewise. So she doesn't. She just stares at Coco, trying to be polite and give the Spring her attention while she talks, and sips her coffee.

"Hey Coco," she greets, when she finally gets a chance. "So far, I've been mostly trying to keep Ava from blowing her entire shopping budget on obscure literature," She says with a lightly teasing tone and a smirk, glancing at the Scrivener. "Waiting to see something that inspires me," she more directly answers Coco.

She glances over at the Elemental as he hails them, and raises her paper cup of coffee towards him in greeting as he approaches. "Hey, Hank." Hmm, he used the plural. And there's the reassuring impression of a Freehold Oath about him. "Have you met these two?" She asks, indicating Coco and Ava with small gestures.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Well of course we've met," Coco interjected, "why wouldn't we have? We were all present at the last soiree. Though why it would be funny to see us again, I couldn't say."

That last was returned with a perfect deadpan, one so sudden that it was impossible miss, particularly not when, a moment later, the Wasp's smile returned in full force.

"Oooh, and if you're looking for something inspiring, come see these," Coco chirped, bouncing towards a display table full of ornamental cigarette cases. Fake pearl set in tin. A landscape stamped in metal. Steel polished to a mirror sheen. A butterfly perched atop ivy knotwork. And more, buried beneath the others.

"Fascinating, no? I think they're indescribably elegant, even if they were intended hold insipid death. I've been trying to think of another use for them, but as of yet my drawing board remains blank."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

S
    Saeyer

Sorry! Somehow I missed that I was up

"We haven't met, no," Ava replied as first Ramona asked and then Coco brushed past it, a hint of amusement in her low, honeyed voice. To Hank, she said: "I saw you at a recent event but there were a lot of people and I never got around to introducing myself. I'm Ava." A thin hand was extended to him, but she wasn't about to be offended if he refused it. "Please walk with us, if you'd like. Are you looking for anything we can keep an eye out for?" It was good to have another Summer around, might keep Ramona from going stircrazy with only a preacher and a foul-mouthed china doll for company. There had been other Summers at the Formal, but Ava hadn't gotten around to asking if the Ogre had met them yet since she seemed to have given up on going to seasonal events entirely.

Following Coco's scampering, she ran a finger over one of the more intricate designs. "I see what you mean... I think some people use them to hold business cards, if the size is right?"

M
    Matrixchild

"Hey Ramona," he said before Cosima interrupted with her comment/joke thing. "Good to see you again Cosima. I guess funny is the wrong word. More interesting, what with the rain and all. More surprised that all four of us would go into the rain in search of things here."

He turned to the woman he had not met and said, "Hello, I'm Hank, nice to meet you. I do believe I saw you at the same event, even if we didn't have the chance to speak." Hank was not a toucher. Not a hugger, not a kisser, not much of anything involving touch. But who was he to refuse an extended hand, so he accepted it in whatever capacity she expected.

"I was mostly looking for clothes or tools. I'm sorely lacking in both departments. For the record I'm a mechanic so those would be the tools I'm interested in," he said dryly.

After that he followed alone and listened as Ava and Cosima went on about cigarette tins. He remembered there kind really well, in fact sometimes he enjoyed a good smoke for old times sake. He had never heard of them being used for business cards, but then again when he originally saw them everyone and their dog smoked so why use it for anything else?

Immediately, Ramona sees herself in the way Hank reacts to Coco jumping on his use of the word 'funny.' She considers mentioning it, but the party is already moving on. Instead, she trails behind them alongside Hank. It's weird, they haven't known each other for very long, but there's a pleasant sensation of solidarity in Hank's company. The fact that they're of the same Court shouldn't be the entire reason, and it isn't, but it's certainly significant. Ramona's been effectively alone in this Court for so long... well, it's nice to have company, and feel another Summer mantle brushing up against her own. Seeing aspects she can relate to in Hank is certainly helping.

"S'what I use mine for," she says, answering Ava's query. Some of the designs here are interesting. Not interesting enough to buy, not when Ramona has practice making her own card holder, but interesting enough to study for a moment, for inspiration. She picks up the stamped landscape case, holding it before her for a moment, then bringing it closer to peer at the details, "... Nice." Could she do stamping that fine in her Hollow workshop? Probably. The wyrd seems to give her any tool she needs in there, so long as it's geared towards shaping metal. She puts the case back down, "I could probably make some of the simpler tools for you, if you need," she tells Hank. "Nothing with power or lots of moving parts, but if you need wrenches or ratchets..."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 18

You do not have permission to view the list of names.