DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

So no one was curious about the threat that Milo had made? Was no one curious about the promise she'd referenced? Were sorrow and torment so commonplace as to be unremarkable now?

Well, so be it, Coco thought with a huff, collapsing back into her chair with such abandon that it rocked perilously on two legs before she righted it again.

It was clear that there was no point in bringing Milo's threats up again. It was clear that, though she had a friend in the room, she did not have an ally. Which was perhaps for the best. The sheer ridiculousness of this meeting having to be called in the first place just emphasized how pointless and vapid her feud with the Raccoon truly was. Besides, it was clear to the Wasp now that the Raccoon might have simply rejected her because Coco had brought to mind her inadequacies and the Page was too spineless to cope with them. Indeed, Coco well remembered how quickly their conversation had deteriorated on that first night over the dinner table when she'd brought up computers around the silly little creature.

So there was no point in dragging this ridiculous feud out any longer.

"How about this?" Coco suggested, hands splaying open in mock supplication. "I offer yet another apology to Morgan and promise to let her be. Pledge it, if need be. However, I also want a similar promise from Milo that he will also let me be. I don't trust the weaselly piece of gentry's shit." This last was said with a snarl towards the smirking Ghul.
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

2. Likes Origins liked this post

You guys shouldn't wait for me, btw. Ramona is mostly glaring at people silently. Instead of cluttering up the thread with my posts, I'll just post if Ramona has a big reaction or decides to say something.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan sighed in relief that she wouldn't have to weight in on...whatever it was that had gone on between Milo and Cosima due to Morgan's cowardice. That Ava spoke with such confidence and authority added to her relief. Morgan's relief was short lived as Ava pointed out some of her major character flaws. "Eh-heh, l-l-less easy to find ssspine f-for myself," but even with her shoulders scrunched in she nodded her head, "but I-I will try, heh-heh."

Then it was Milo and Cosima's turns to speak. They were both quite abrupt. And Cosima wanted to apologize again? Hadn't they both offered apologies before and sworn to be civil? That had gone poorly. Would a clean slate be better? "Um...Imma f-f-fine if we apologize to eh-each other again Cosima. Ssstill re-respect ye standin' up for friend like ye d-d-did ano-and being a sssworn guardian of the heh-hold. J-j-just too much difference to be...f-f-friendly. I p-prefer if we j-just wah-hip-wipe the ssslate clean buh-between us. No-no-no more hostilkity. Pleae? If-if that tis okay?" Really, Morgan didn't want enemies amongst the courtiers. There were enough enemies with the Fae, hobs, hedgebeasts, criminals, thugs, and dogs that chased her that the raccoon didn't want to add to the list.

And they were indeed too different, even with their antagonistic meetings, to be friends. Cosima seemed to crave attention. Morgan however had spent years hiding from predators or baiting them away from her friend. Attention had meant her hiding had failed or she was running for her life. A flight response from attention was thus understandable. It would require a lot of introspection or a trained psychiatrist for Morgan to realize this. She just understood the results.

5. Likes Cayce liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Milo's response received a curt nod, though she wasn't particularly swayed by what he'd said. Maybe if he hadn't started grinning she'd have been able to take his denial more seriously, but nobody in that room had any business looking like they were enjoying themselves. If only she could tell someone to keep their face silent...

"I don't have much faith in insincere apologies, or that clearing the slate with change anything in this situation. If you aren't going to sit down and work this out between you, I prefer Coco's proposal of a pledge. Are you all familiar with 'good neighbors' pacts? You agree to lay off of each other for a year and a day, with the understanding that if you break your word the Wyrd will make you more vulnerable to the contracts of those who upheld it." Breaking such a pledge also invited the other people involved to come use that vulnerability against you, which she didn't think was especially great for this situation, but the other options were worse.

"Morgan, I want to make it plain that the protection of the oath will not extend to your motley mate. This is just Milo swearing to leave Coco alone, and Coco swearing to leave the both of you alone." Originally, she had thought to ask Coco to just leave Morgan alone, but the flaws in forbidding Milo from baiting Coco but not vice versa did not escape her.

"Alright: for a year and a day, do you swear on your true name to be civil to the person or persons I mentioned, not to bait or attack them socially, psychologically, physically, or in any way do them intentional harm? Should you break this oath, you leave yourself vulnerable to their retaliation and will be known to your community as a weak-willed oathbreaker." It wasn't an elegant pledge, but it said what she meant; it wouldn't work to actually require them to leave each other alone for an entire year, too much could happen between now and then.

"Fair?"

ooc

Milo Chernobog

PRE

Always so tactful.

He didn't think he gave much reason for Coco to trust him, but he thought the hunt for Ms Rosemary at least proved he could be civil and helpful with people he didn't like. Ramona certainly knew that he could work with people he detested, but the Spring seemed to take his warning to heart. Maybe next time he'd have to be a little gentler. Maybe.

"My big objection is that I don't know any contracts that harm another. It makes Cosima's deterrent toothless, while I don't know what kind of sorcery she is capable of." He looked back and forth between the Archivist and the Wasp. "That being said, I also don't think a pledge is necessary for this. If she promises not to provoke the Autumns then I promise not to provoke her."

Finally his attention fell to Coco exclusively as the grin faded from his expression. "If another issue comes up, then I'd invite you into the Hedge to put that cane to use."

A duel might be a bit much for a perceived slight, but the truth of the matter is Milo was genuinely worried an off hand comment from a naturally sarcastic mouth was going to brand him an Oathbreaker for the next year. Given how slanted Coco's retelling of that night was and how she handled the Summer elections, he was fairly certain she would be in a similar boat.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Ava's pledge had seemed more than fair to Coco, for the true teeth of the pledge lay in the fact that it was a pledge, and known Pledgebreakers often found no comfort in any Freehold. To break a pledge was to ostracize yourself, but perhaps that was exactly why Milo was so hesitant to swear such a pledge. He knew that he wouldn't be able to fulfill it...

A chill smile crossed Coco's lips as that thought ran through her mind.

"You know," she began, her words phrased precisely and slow, "I don't think you properly understand your situation, Milo. You seem to have a rather...over-inflated opinion of your abilities. If, for whatever reason, I ever decided to slide two feet of steel through your heart, you could not stop me. Ramona could not stop me. The Monarchy could not stop me. For nothing can touch me if I do not wish it, and my blade will always find its mark. And though you doubtless think me a braggart, I hope you'll take what I say to heart, for I am simply informing you of our present reality."

For, though Coco did not know any Contracts that could directly cause harm to another, the ones she knew would allow her to do exactly as she promised. She was not someone that you wanted to try to intimidate. Nor someone to antagonize. Hopefully, the fool of a Ghul would realize that.

"So let us strike a pledge between us," she amended, hoping the others would realize that she also desired to put this matter to rest. "One on top of our Freehold Oath. Because I want to feel safe. And I want you to feel safe. There's no reason why we can't ensure that."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

9. Likes InvertedMonkey, Origins, West liked this post

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

"Um, whilst it doth zzzound fair," Morgan fidgeted in her seat, "I'd p-p-prefer we nay be bound by a pledge. Me last didn't last a day, norma-junkie-ditched-rehab. Not-not-not that I'd think Cosima or Milo to be oath breakers. Bu~ut I'm also worried if the pledge means ye are vulnerable to only each other's powers oro-or that type of power?" she was asking Ava this. "Uh, b-b-because Ava, eh-heh, remember I heh-hath some uh, incendiary abilities. If-if that means accidental oathbreak means they," she points with her left hand at Cosima and right at Milo, "and I," she points both index claws at herself, "are vulnerable to my flames then okay. If vulnerable to any flames Imma lessss okay-day with that."

Morgan looked at Milo with a incredulous look, "Why worry if ye are nay planning to betray the oath?" She also gave Cosima a skeptical look. Like she didn't believe Cosima would stab Milo through the heart. Morgan had never feared for her life from Cosima when they had been quarreling. Nor did Cosima seem stupid enough to throw away her life in response to a slight. Then a look of surprised amusement came over her. The stupid Beast is less violent then the socialable Fairest. Ha!

With a sigh she resigned herself to this. "I heh-hath no intent to betray a feh-fellow courtier. I-I-I still would prefer conversation solution over oath. B-but if others heh-here prefer a pledge I hath no problem with ssswearing to not do something I would not do."

11. Likes Cayce liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

It was sorely tempting to point out that no one would know Milo didn't know any contracts that could harm anyone if he hadn't just mentioned as much, but it was actually oddly comforting that his thoughts seemed to go immediately to physical harm. She could think of other contracts with more subtle, insidious effects that she wouldn't want used against her without a chance to oppose them.

Ava shook her head a little as he claimed to be fine with a shared promise, but one without teeth: no real repercussion should he prove unable to uphold it. Disappointing. Coco impressing how easy it would be to stab him wasn't especially encouraging either, but since the Shadowsoul was the one who brought up Hedgeduels in the first place it wasn't out of place. It was honestly the only answer he should've expected.

Coco offering to take the pledge was the first thing she'd heard that pleased her all evening. "The sanction in the pledge leaves you vulnerable only to the contracts of the other people involved in the pledge," she said, looking to Morgan. "The same contract from someone else wouldn't effect you in the same way. For your example, it would only be vulnerability to your flames."

Looking briefly to Ramona, who might be turning back into stone in her chair, Ava pressed her tongue to the back of her teeth before speaking again. "Look, I'm not trying to strong-arm anyone into a pledge, this one or any you craft for yourselves. But I'd like the insurance that, at least for one season, this," a hand gestured to encompass the people present, "Won't be an issue. I'd prefer if there was incentive, either by boon or sanction, to keep folks honest. But if you all give me your word that you'll uphold a promise without that, I'll hold you to it. The Wyrd might not remember, but I will, and I'll make sure people know what your word is worth."

Oh you do not want my opinion, Ramona thinks vehemently as Ava glances her way. Ogres tend to take oaths very seriously after all. There's a whole Contract about finding those who break them, and punishing them. Besides, the very idea that someone takes issue with swearing the pledge suggests to Ramona that it's necessary. If you're worried you won't be able to live up to your word, you need incentive.

Milo Chernobog

PRE

Coco's response was certainly unexpected, and mildly intimidating. He had caught a glimpse of her skill in the search for Ms Rosemary, and that wasn't something he was going to forget. Mostly because it set a bar for Milo's training.

"I don't intend to break my word, and would also prefer talking to oaths." The Fairest said looking to Morgan then Ava and Cosima. "But strangely enough the decision has apparently been made for me and Morgan already."

Reluctance changed to irritation at the prospect of being forced into a pledge he didn't want. Nothing said about the situation seemed to change Cosima's behavior, except that it specifically wouldn't be directed at Morgan or himself. Likewise, if she tried to bully someone else he might not be able to do anything for fear of socially 'attacking' her.

"Fine, for a year and a day I swear on my true name not to bait or attack Cosima socially, Mentally, or Physically. Should I break this oath I leave myself vulnerable to the contracts of the others."

-1 WP for Oath

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 20

You do not have permission to view the list of names.