Ended
Watch

Required Reading

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    S
    Saeyer

Wrapped in sweaters and a slightly threadbare coat, Ava approached Lynn's apartment with a large bottle of scrumpy nestled into the crook of her arm. She couldn't recall if the fiddler liked beer, so she'd picked up hard cider instead; and if she didn't drink that either, well, she could regift it. Ava didn't care, it just felt rude to not bring something to a meeting at someone's home.

She was pleased they had been able to arrange a time so soon after the phone call; she wanted to get reading, though she did recall that there was another point to this conversation as well. Double checking the time on her phone to make sure she wasn't early, the Archivist made her way to the door and gave it a couple solid knocks.

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

There was the sound of a couple quick steps, then Lynn pulled the door open and smiled warmly at Ava.

"Hey! Thanks for taking the time to come over." She took a step back and gestured for Ava to make her way in. Lynn's apartment was small, but comfortably furnished with thrift store finds that had been refinished. Several thick books lay open on a small chest that served as a coffee table and several candles flickered warmly, lending a gentle fragrance to the room. "Can I offer you something to drink, eat?" Lynn gestured to a small table in the kitchen nook. "I baked some cookies this afternoon, they turned out pretty well."

S
    Saeyer

"Of course, thanks for having me." It was a rote response, but sincere nonetheless as the Archivist crossed the threshold. Loosening her a scarf with one hand, she held out the cider with the other. "I brought cider, but if we're keeping things alcohol-free tea would be great. And I never turn down cookies," she said, returning the warm smile in kind, though the warmth was mostly in her eyes; fish teeth did little to aid the expression.

Looking about the room, Ava nodded toward the makeshift coffee table. "What are you reading?"

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

"Thanks for this." Lynn took the cider and set it on the counter. "Well, let's start with the tea, then we can move on to the harder stuff. I have a feeling I'm going to need it after we take a look at these books." Lynn sighed a bit as she moved around the kitchen, pulling out what was necessary for tea. With a wave of her hand, she indicated that Ava was free to sit where ever she liked.

"Oh those?" Lynn glanced at the books lying out. "I had the idea that I could maybe start volunteering as an assistant to somebody who does musical therapy. We know that at least some of the kids who were being terrorized by the Sandman must be getting some sort of help; so I thought maybe I could find some of them, maybe see if I could get a chance to talk to them, swear a pledge to help them heal. But in order to do that, I'd need to at least know what I'm talking about and be able to understand what the therapist needs me to do. And beyond that, knowing the basics of some kind of therapy myself can only help." A quick flip of the wrist brought forth a bright blue flame on the stove, over which Lynn set a tea pot to heat. A moment more had a plate of cookies set down on the table between them and Lynn finally sat down with a sigh. "How are things with you?"

S
    Saeyer

"Works for me," Ava responded amiably, shedding her outermost layer and setting it off to the side, out of the way. She hoped the books didn't drive them to drink, but most things seem to drive the Lost to drink and she couldn't bring herself to mind that much. Settling sideways onto a chair, she draped an arm over the back and listened.

"That's an interesting idea, musical therapy. I've been doing a bit of research in a similar vein, but I was planning on using oneiroscopy to get me where I need to be. Of course, the vague descriptions of some of the kids won't be much help, but..." she trailed off, shrugging a little with one shoulder. "There's no foolproof way to find them all, but I figure between the two of us we'll manage to snag a good number of them." It was a good thought, looking for the children who might already be seeking help, or having help sought for them. But her cynical mind wondered how effective it would be. Still, better to try.

Turning on the chair to face the Steward as she sat, Ava reached forward to grab a cookie, noting the sigh. "Things are alright." The Nix studied the woman across the table from her thoughtfully as she nibbled on the baked treat: they weren't really friends, but they weren't not friends either. Similar goals, in some respects, but different ways to get there. "I'll be happier once we get ourselves a little more straightened out in the Council. And find a new General..." Not that there were really troops for said general to do much with, but it was the principal of the thing. "How've you been? These are delicious, by the way."

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

"If you have time someday, could I take lessons in oneiroscopy from you?" Lynn took a thoughtful bite of her cookie. "It seems a useful skill and I find the entire thing to be fascinating." She smiled a bit wryly. "And it's not as if I can really fight anybody in the waking world."

"I was hoping these would turn out well." Lynn indicated the cookies. "I found a cookbook at a second hand store, the page with this recipe was stained the book opened to it almost automatically, so I didn't think it could be bad." She stretched a bit with a sigh. "I have to admit that I'm a bit troubled, about being named Steward. It's not as though I was given any sort of instructions, just; you're in charge now." She grimaced a bit. "I'm trying to do my best, but in some situations I seem to be more than one person." She rubbed the back of her neck and then gave Ava a level look. "I hope that I can count on your help with that. I know that I will make mistakes. I'd appreciate it if, when you feel that I've messed up, if you could tell me that, calmly and honestly."

The moment was broken, or perhaps only set aside, by the whistling of the tea kettle on the stove. Lynn stood and started preparing the tea.

S
    Saeyer

"Yeah, we can do that," Ava agreed easily; she wasn't exactly hording the information, and it would be an opportunity to learn something in return. She flashed an amused smile at Lynn's last comment, commiserating with a quirked eyebrow; she was certainly better in an oneiromachy battle than a bar fight.

Listening to Lynn's concern, she returned the level look in kind. Technically it was something she hoped any of the Council members could do for each other, but in practice... Rising under the pretense of helping, she leaned against part of the counter and watched the Minstrel work. "I admit, I'm not jealous of your position. But, if it helps, remember that you were elected by the faith of the majority. It may just feel like more pressure, but they believe in your ability. And the council is all in a similar position, so if we can't rely on each other to help us figure things out..." She shrugged with her mouth and her shoulders. "I am speaking from the easiest transition, I know: Archivist is a bit like Scrivener on a grander scale, not an entirely new job. Don't worry, though, if I think there's something worth pointing out, I will. And I'd hope for the same. Can I grab cups?"

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

"Thank you." Lynn flashed a grateful smile over at Ava and then nodded at a cabinet. "Cups are up there, just grab what you feel like using." Like the rest of her things, it was all garage market specials; Lynn had chosen cups that appealed to her, so it was a rather eclectic range of choices.

"Since we're eating, I thought we might go over the bit of prophesy we heard in the Council meeting; before we bring out the books anyways. Cookies and tea might not mix very well with parchment or . . . whatever the hell they're made out of." Lynn quickly went through the motions of fixing the tea, her mind obviously on something else for the moment.

"It may just be my particular circumstances, but I feel like I can offer at least one solution to one of the conditions. The bit about Life's song and the Spirit's voice?" Lynn sat back down at the table and glanced at her fiddle case. It'd been propped in the corner so that she'd never been more than a few steps away from it.
    "I think that we could either summon a spirit, one to do with music in some fashion and make a bargain with them or…" Lynn sighed and looked uncomfortable. "My Keeper; she killed my husband, who was a great singer. And then she had his bones spun into a fiddle that she bound me to." She nodded at the case standing in the corner. "So you see, if I'd studied ghosts as long as Daniel has, I could summon his ghost at just about any time."

S
    Saeyer

Grabbing a couple of mugs she liked the look of, Ava listened to Lynn as she started in on the prophecy. Her eyebrows knit briefly at the mention of the minstrel's husband's fate, though it explained a couple of odd things she'd heard Coco say. Eyeing the fiddle case briefly, she wondered if Lynn ever resented it. It was nice to have something to remind people of their loved one, but an instrument made out of their bones was a little intense for that.

"I admit, I hadn't taken the mention of 'Spirit's voice' to quite the same place, though I can see why you might. It seems intensely specific for his weakness to be a certain song, sung by ghosts." Specific enough to border on the absurd, depending on the song. "But in terms of poetic justice, I could see it. And it wouldn't hurt to be prepared if that is the case."

"And," she added, realizing she never addressed part of what was said, "I'm sorry about your husband."

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

Lynn nodded and sighed a bit, running one finger down the zipper of her fiddle case. "Thank you for that. I've spent the past year mourning him and trying to get used to the idea of moving on. But it's difficult when I'm literally tied to his grave." Abruptly, she gestured as if she was waving something away.

"I thought I heard mention that the more powerful a Changeling is, the more specific their weakness could be, something similar to the weaknesses They might have? Anyways, what were your thoughts? You obviously know more about the subject than I do." Lynn idly stirred her tea and then took a long sip. She was trying to understand just what it was that the Freehold would be facing the the near future. The Monarchs had stepped back, which meant that by and large the people of the Freehold were under her guidance. Which meant that she needed to know as much as possible about what might be headed this way. If nothing else, so that she could make sure the right people were in the right place to deal with it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 13

You do not have permission to view the list of names.