London, England
May 2005

”I am sorry I have to go.” Elanah says to him

He says nothing. Just sits on the bed and stares into space. He sits with his trousers unbuttoned and shirtless. They both look freshly fucked but neither has the afterglow of a long night of lovemaking.

”Love, look at me”

”What Elanah?” he says”We are supposed to be getting married in 3 months and you are running off to play soldier.”

”I am not playing; you knew when we started this that I am a soldier. I am Israeli. I do things for my country that I am not proud of but it’s for the best of my people.”

He gives her an odd look. ” What could you have done? You’re a computer tech. And you promised me you would be done with all of this military life.

”Yes after we are married I will be done. I promise.

”And now you are leaving and the wedding is getting pushed back…”

”I am sorry. There is nothing more I want in the world then to marry you Love. Can you wait for me?”

”Elanah I love you but I cannot be a soldier’s husband. You’re married to your work and I am not a polygamist. He says the last part with a smile.

”That’s not funny. Look I am needed, what I do is very important to the IDF. I cant just quit and walk out. It doesn’t work that way.”

”You’re a sys admin. There are tons of people who can run computers.”

”We have talked about this. I have very special clearance. There are only a select few who have access to the same things I do. I can’t just walk away.”

He looks at her with a scowl and gets up off the bed. He moves over to the desk. His shirt and tie are draped over the back of the chair. He puts on his shirt and begins to button it.

”Where are you going?” Elanah got out of bed and stood there with her hands on her hips. She was naked except for her dog tags and engagement ring. Her hands lower to a less confrontational position. ”Please don’t go, let’s talk about this.”

”There is nothing to talk about Elanah,” He does not raise his voice. Not even a little. He is soft spoken and polite even in his anger and sadness. She loves him for his rational mind. She loves him for his control over her emotions. ”I will not be a part time husband. I love you, but you need to make a choice Love, me or the military”

He finishes dressing and begins to leave. ”Wait please,” She wraps herself in her robe and follows him out to the dining room/kitchen,”I leave tomorrow and I don’t want to leave not knowing…” a pause ”Can we compromise?" She grabbed him by the arm and turned him to face her. "How about this, I go finish my mission and when I am done I will put in my papers. My contract is coming up and I wlll just not renew. I have put in the required time I can leave the military with honor.”

He stands up from the chair he sat in while putting on his shoes. ”Ok,” sigh If it means I get All of you, I can live with that. How long?” She loves him for his love of her.

”Depends on my Orders. Maybe a month, maybe six. I don’t know.”

”Ok Love, we will make this work. He crosses to her and embraces her and kisses her.

”I love you too Liam.” She says as she embraces him. The glint of the sun through the windows glares off of the ring on her finger.