Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
71 - 78
DISPLAYED
(Fairest) Hidden Gem

Page 8 of 8 First ... 4 5 6 7 8

Devilish eyes blink slowly as the Daeva lets her answer settle, he didn't very much like being toyed with, he was especially adverse to being tricked. The last time he had found himself in a particular place at a particular time via the doing of others it didn't end pleasantly. The fact that this Zelda person was intuitive enough to plant a message told him that she had absolutely no interest in meeting with Mr.Stax what so ever, it also made him morbidly curious as to rather or not Zelda had purposely planted that message within Livida in anticipation of Kindred interference. The way it all went down just made it hard for not to resist wondering if his use of Majesty was all part of her plan some how. "That certainty sounds like an interesting task. Did she give you any instructions on what to do after the message had been delivered?" Richard holds out his palm, gesturing first to himself and then to Martha,"I have no idea if the message was intended for us tonight, but now that we've heard it, id say your job is done no?"

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Tipsy eyes rolled over Richard.

"Oh. The usual. You know - be seen. Set up some commissions, if some come Zelda's way. Gather the goss for her. Stuff I do already. I'm here to be seen... So I guess I'll be here till the very end; you never know who turns up late to these things. I have a hired limo to pick me up just before dawn. I'll be living it up at the Sheraton!" She giggles.

Her eyes roll once more, ranging across the packed function room like search lights hunting tracking movement. Finding no prey, they turn back to the pair.

Stax, alone, appears through the clustering crowd in a different corner, discussing another array of artworks with an animated hipster couple.

"I am not interested in your money or your petty mewling about the Masquerade and how that gives you right to my work. I don't want my Art locked up where only dead poseurs can debate it! And I am not interested in your silly Unconquered society games! Scuttle back to San Francisco, cockroach. True Art can never be bound! Leave me alone!"

The words stuttered, suddenly, from Liv's startled lips. The cadence and contour of the speech so different from her own. Wide eyed, the woman slammed a hand over her lips but it did not stop the flow until the last syllable had shook free of her mouth. So calm. So dismissive.

Liv paled and tried to hide her face by leaning on the bar and burying her face in her hand - a most uncomfortable and awkward movement.

Fortunately, the trio had their corner of the bar to themselves. The staff practiced their mixing arts on a gaggle of cultural watchers that had gathered, en masse, for the first round of the "getting sloshed" part of the evening. The group was turned inward, on themselves, in a cloud of cologne and the bobbing of fascinators. The Kindred and the human they were politely interrogating could have been alone on a desert island for the stir that Livia created.

Martha Villiers

PRE

This was all very strange. Deep in her gut, she felt that there'd be a murder at the Sheraton tonight.

Martha wanted to scoop Liv' up and take her to safety. Away from the potential retribution she suspected Stax might inflict on Zelda by way of the pawn in the game: Liv'.

Also, Martha didn't want Sacramento to again a proxy battleground for the Kindred of San Fransciso. Leaving Asa with a murder on his patch to clear up and answer for.

Surely, she mused, there was a Duty of Care...

"Well, Zelda's message is pretty clear..." Martha adds sympathetically. Not wishing to scare Liv' or make things more awkward, she added calmly; "She's frequently pestered by some pretty persistent people? I hope no one is making her life unpleasant!"

Martha leaned on her cane, her false leg shuffled stiffly while she found herself twirling meekly with a free finger at one of her twin tails.
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

"I don't know." The exasperation showed in Liv's sigh more than she would have hoped. "I mean... Sure she's had a few more admirers stop by. Some of 'em even keeping her hours - which, is like, amazing! - and she's had a run of commissions from folks who want to buy up her private collection. She works for her own enjoyment does Zelda."

Liv giggled - the sound strangely out of place.

"Maybe this one buyer from San Francisco who hasn't let up. He came out last year and purchased one of Zelda's new pieces - Hebe! Yeah I helped make that. It was... tough..."

Liv hid any further thoughts behind her cocktail glass, quenching her sudden thirst and looking about her once again. Still hunting. Still waiting. The sudden rush of words and her embarrassment seemingly forgotten in the moment.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha nodded and listened with great care. Taking the time to make effective and encouraging eye contact with Liv.

In the silence that followed, while Liv was scrutinizing her surroundings, Martha pondered the situation.
    Stax was eager to have a face to face with Zelda. To coerce her? Zelda was reluctant to agree to a meeting and had expressed an outright rejection of Stax and his interest.

Liv is the go-between

Liv is likely to be viewed by Stax as an expendable pawn.

Is Liv in danger?

Stax had admitted to us his desire to go to extremes.

How far would he go? Kidnap? Murder? Extortion?

"I see! She sounds a simply wonderful person!" she chirps happily, adding, "do you think Zelda would ever consider moving to another city? Away from all the constant pressures of her more forthright customers?" she asks happily, meaning, of course, constant pressure from aggressive Kindred...
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Liv had finished her drink and sat staring at the empty glass. She barely seemed to notice Martha until she turned to her, eyes wide and strangely guileless.

"Oh I don't know. I mean she might. Or not. She owns a property north of Woodland... Its a commune, kind of. She's kind of attached to it. But, you know, its not like she tells me what she's thinking. Not about that kind of stuff." She turned back to the empty glass. "I'm not worthy," she pouted miserably.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

A burst of false laughter from Richard Black indicates his irritation.

The other crowd at the bar has swept him up, despite his efforts to escape their sudden questions. And then there is Stax.

It dawns on tiny Martha that she and Liv are now very much alone at the bar. Zelda's painting seems to mock them from across the room.

With Richard Black currently Inactive, Martha is the only character currently in play.
    Chrisie - How do you wish to proceed?

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha felt she wanted to somehow protect Zelda.

Zelda's desire to be an Artist, independent of Stax's interference and demands: it seemed somehow heroic.

Nodding, Martha smiled and tried to cover for Richard's snort of derision.
    "Don't worry... don't be so glum!" she encouraged, "I'll pass on the message Zelda's outlined. I'll ask that you try to keep a low profile tonight though... Miss Zelda's got powerful people interested in her work and... well... just be careful!" she smiled.

"If Miss Zelda ever wanted to visit this city..." Martha took the moment to write her cell phone number on a napkin for Liv and passed it to her with another smile and aimed at leaving Liv with a sincere ego boost; "I'll be only too happy to show her the city and perhaps introduce her to some friendly people. Surely your successful mission this evening will only enhance your worth to Miss Zelda! I have every confidence that your many attributes and aptitudes will rightfully win Zelda's esteem!"

Martha smiled and wondered if Twist would be keen to help a fellow Artist. Or even Juan. For all they had had their difficulties, Martha saw no reason to keep him out of potential Clan activity and gossip...

Readying her cane and posture, her body language signalling imminent and hurried departure;
    "Ah! But I regret my friend is leaving for the evening... And he is driving me home!" she giggled nervously, as if hoping to make a playful jest of the moment before adding, "... but, please don't forget, Miss! Be careful! Pass on my best regards to Miss Zelda! Her Art is astonishing!" she smiled and glanced to the painting on the wall.

Intending to fulfil her part of the bargain, and once safely away, Martha will text Stax with a polite and diluted version of Zelda's rejection later.

That painting: it held such mysterious promise...

Thanks, Yum' for this. I hope we can pick things up later if/when opportunities allow.

9. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
Page 8 of 8 First ... 4 5 6 7 8
Closed Thread