Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
(AC 2015) Ava, L'aire et al.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    S
    Sasha

Nodding, she couldn’t agree more. “Yeah, I had been in a traveling troupe for a while for the same reason. There were a few other Lost with us, and at least we had that in common. So I completely understand the need to be nomadic.”

“That’s really unique. With the books. What is the reason behind buying them with writing in them?” The Dancer may have preferred books with a clean slate, but maybe there was a really neat reason for this.

L’aire’s attention was drawn toward Milo ( Xander ) and Coco when she’d suddenly made a spectacle of herself, again. She tried not to imbed herself in the conversation too much for fear she may need to mediate something.

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)
    Wizened Inventor/Telluric

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Short and petite, Evelynn is pale, with a pair of wide brown eyes hidden behind a set of very large glasses.

Mein

A thin, long-fingered woman with eyes that are impossibly large and glassy, giving her the appearance of wearing large, thick glasses when she's not. Her skin is almost translucent in its paleness, and underneath, one can sometimes see the ticking of clockwork parts.

Mantle

The occasional hush falls around her - those moments of silence where surrounding conversations all lull at the same moment seem to happen more often, or perhaps the silences are just more noticeable.
    Pledges

Winter Annual Freehold Pledge

PRE

Evelynn grinned at Ava's question about what she was reading. It was a topic she was much more readily comfortable with, and she sensed perhaps something of a kindred spirit in Ava in terms of a potential love for books. "Oh, a lot of things, honestly. Modern fantasy, and recently steampunk. Plus I like to dabble in historical fiction. Oh, and sci-fi. The real, thoughtful stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with space adventures or anything. I just mean, you know I'd usually pick up Issac Asimov over a Star Wars tie-in most of the time. Though, I have read my fair share of those too..." She paused, pursing her lips. "I read non-fiction sometimes, too. Lots of stuff about space. I, um, keep trying to get up on quantum mechanics so I can read more about that, because it seems so mind-blowing, but seriously, I always get lost once I get into anymore more advanced than popular science."

3. Likes Origins, InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Head tilted slightly to one side, she considered L'aire's question about the books. "Well, on one hand I think it's a tactic to keep costs down," Ava said with wry amusement in her voice. Many stores preferred not to buy books with an excess of scribbling in them, meaning that people were usually willing to sell them for less. "But they also have a unique human touch to them. They have evidence of being read and considered, being handled; like there's an invisible line that reaches from each book back to a specific person. And then you're sort of taking a bit of that person home with you, some little connection. There's also some really interesting history about marginalia and how, when books began to transition from something read outloud in a group to being read silently, it was a way to keep the conversation going between readers. Admittedly, some of the notes are pretty inane, though." Some of them were carefully considered, thoughtful additions- like people who added notes about historical context to terms in poems so they would remember the next time they read it. And then there was the good old underlined phrase with 'the author feels sad' next to it.

Evelynn's animated response to her question about books was sweet, and she listened with an easy smile on her lips. "I can't say I read very much science fiction, but what I have ready was very engaging. I'm more of a poetry and creative non-fiction person myself, but always looking to branch out. Why space in particular, if you don't mind my asking?"

Another new face drew her gaze briefly, though Green seemed to be talking to the man already. Her eyebrows hiked ever so slightly as the scent of warm bread pervaded the area and her attention swiveled to Terri, returned once more. It was good to see the friendly woman alive and well, though bits of a conversation still lingered in her mind. L'aire, she was sure, would be relieved to see her friend.

S
    Sasha

It seemed like Milo deflected whatever was about to stir from Coco, so the Fairest went back to listening to the two bookish women discuss simply that, books.

Considering the look from the sweet new woman, even the Dancer could see why something like science may be of vast interest. And then they started talking about science fiction and quantum mechanics. Her violets were clearly asunder, but she smiled encouragingly to Evelynn.

Briefly nodding to Ava. “That’s cool. So basically, they kept someone’s attention enough to make notes in them. Which makes them possibly a more worthy read?” The Fairest ventured a guess, but she knew little about such things. “And I don’t think anyone’s too old to listen to a reading from a book.” L’aire hadn’t been to church in eons, but they did it at masses, why not just enjoyable reading too.

And then, she saw red.

The pleasant kind of red found in the form of tufts of fur and a bushy tail. L’aire’s hand went to her lips and she gasped. “Oh my god.” She couldn’t believe Terri Nutkins was back. About to run over to greet her, she had nearly lifted the first foot to run, but let it return to the ground. She’d found Rick Pereg right away, but didn’t want to interrupt. She looked at Ava, her lips grinning ear to ear and the soft glow shining a little brighter.

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Short and petite, Evelynn is pale, with a pair of wide brown eyes hidden behind a set of very large glasses.

Mein

A thin, long-fingered woman with eyes that are impossibly large and glassy, giving her the appearance of wearing large, thick glasses when she's not. Her skin is almost translucent in its paleness, and underneath, one can sometimes see the ticking of clockwork parts.

Mantle

The occasional hush falls around her - those moments of silence where surrounding conversations all lull at the same moment seem to happen more often, or perhaps the silences are just more noticeable.
    Pledges

PRE

Evelynn positively adored the idea of having a connection to a book's previous owner via the notes in the margins. She'd have plenty of books eligible for sale there herself, too.

"Oh, um, I suppose I've always been a bit interested in space. I mean, I suppose every kid wants to be an astronaut, right? And then, I suppose there's something kind of poetic about space. It's so vast and alien, but at the same time, it's perfectly comprehensible. A place for everything and everything in its place. We just have to understand it. I know a lot of people find the scale of space to be disconcerting, but I think the nature of it is actually quite comforting. It's comforting to know that, no matter how chaotic things seem, the universe is fundamentally orderly, in its way." Fundamentally unlike those who had taken every person in this room. "And they form such beautiful patterns. Spinning circles within circles, like dancers."

"And there's something to be said for the human connection, too. I mean, I suppose it seems trite, but I like knowing that I share the same sky with everyone, that we can follow the patterns backwards and know the sky of people who lived thousands of years ago. I like knowing that I can look up and see the same moon as my family." Whoops. That wasn't a topic she wanted to get into either.

"Plus, then there's the fact that we can see back in time. You know we can see the remnants of the beginning of the universe? We can watch the formation of stars that are already dead because they're so far away. It's all there - the whole story of existence, stretching out before us for anyone who cares enough to look."

A dreamy look had taken hold on her expression, but once she finished talking, she realized rather abruptly that she'd been waxing poetic a little bit much, and blushed. "Hah.... Sorry. I'm not usually that talkative, but if you get me going about the right thing..."

7. Likes Origins, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

As Evelynn spoke Ava's gaze slowly drifted toward the sky. She supposed there was a sort of comfort there, knowing Mal and even Jack could be under it. All those people up North she always promised to visit but never really would. But, as much as she appreciated the romance of the idea, she didn't quite feel it. They might be looking at the same moon, but sometimes different skylines might as well be different planets to her.

"It's really interesting, that you view it that way. It's a little hard for me to think of the universe as orderly, though I do understand that there's a very structured skeleton to everything; it just feels so unpredictable." Raising her mug, she paused before taking a sip. "I'm not sure exactly why, but the idea of being able to look at stars that have already died makes me a little... I don't know, maybe melancholy is the right word. It's a little bittersweet. I like it, though." After a long, slow sip, she lowered the mug and flashed a toothy grin, eyes dropping from the sky. "And, no need to apologize. You should hear me when I get going, it's awful."

Her sovereign's entrance drew her attention, shoulders squared against the pull of her mantle's winds. With Terri's wave to L'aire and such a large grin on the shy Winter's face, it seemed a good moment to swear her oath. "If you'll excuse me, L'aire, I should go renew my oath with Ms. Jasons. Don't want to put it off." A little slyness crept into her smile and her voice, Terri in the corner of her eye. "You're welcome to come, Evelynn, if you'd like. Mr. Jasons runs the boarding house here as well, she would be a good face to know if you intend to stick around." She wasn't about to pressure anyone into swearing the Freehold oath, but the invitation was there should she wish it.

S
    Sasha

The further talk of books, and aliens, science and god knows what else between the women was interesting, but the Dancer had nothing to contribute. A while ago, she may have felt silly for not knowing, but that feeling was starting to diminish. L’aire knew she had a different calling in life, one day she may read more books of wondrous things, but not know. A Sphinx kept her mind occupied, as well as many other things.

Meanwhile, the Fairest took a pen out of her purse and a receipt from a gas station with gas and bottled water on the front. She wrote her number on the back.

“If you will both excuse me. I should go see Terri.” If L’aire wasn’t glowing enough already, she was certainly now. Handing Evelynn the paper, if she took it, the Dancer grinned. “It was good to meet you, Evelynn, and we should meet and go to Ava’s bookstore soon!”

L’aire darts off to see Rick and Terri

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Mein

Mantle

Pledges

PRE

Evelynn grinned back at L'aire, pleased to have such friendly people welcoming her to the Freehold. She took the offered phone number and dipped her head in thanks. "I'd love to come visit the bookstore with you some time! Thank you!"

Then she turned to Ava. "What oath is that?" She blushed and scratched the back of her neck. "Sorry, I don't really know all that much about how this Freehold thing works..."

S
    Saeyer

Ava raised one of her hands in a small wave as L'aire left them, headed straight for Terri as she had expected. She felt a small pang as she watched the Winter's back: it must be such a wonderful relief that the Steepscrambler had come back, again. If she could, why not others? But that line of thought had already exhausted itself, and she wasn't in the mood for self pity.

Her eyebrows arched gently at Evelynn's question; perhaps the yound woman was more recently come from the Hedge than she realized, or she had simply never stuck around long enough to figure it out before. "The Freehold oath is a pledge the members of the Freehold swear: to keep the Freehold's best interests in mind, and never knowingly bring danger to it or the people inside it. Swearing it gives you the benefit of a community that might not trust you otherwise, as well as a place to call home. I pledge for a year and a day, because I'm fairly certain I won't be leaving anytime soon. Some people swear season to season, if their lives are more difficult to predict. And, as with any pledge, if you break it there are consequences." The consequences of the pledge itself, and the consequences of a community that felt betrayed.

"It isn't mandatory, if you just want to get your car running and keep going, but if you plan on sticking around it's not a bad idea. That is, unless you don't believe you could keep such a promise." She liked the Wizened fine so far, but she'd known her for all the time it took to drink a mug of cider. There was no judgement in her voice, but a touch of reserved curiosity did worm its way in.

Evelynn East

Presence 2 (Curious)

Winter Mantle:
    Moment of hush
    Evelynn East

Mask

Mein

Mantle

Pledges

PRE

Evelynn didn't find the gentle question particularly offensive. A loyalist could be hiding under anyone's skin. It wasn't as though Ava was making an accusation, either. There was simply a point to be made about what it means to swear a Freehold oath. She paused, pressing her finger to her lips, and then nodded.

"Sure, that sounds like a fair promise. I see no reason not to, especially since I think I might stick around." She smiled. "I can't promise I'll stay forever, but like I said, I think maybe it's time to start trying to make a home for myself. I might swear just for the season, since I'm not sure how long I'll be around, but... I mean, is there anything about the oath that would make my life particularly difficult if I swore for longer and then ended up leaving anyway?"

It wasn't so much that she thought she was going to leave after swearing for an extended oath, but rather a question about the nature of it. She'd already decided that swearing it was an unquestionably good idea (assuming there was nothing particularly shocking in the oath itself, anyway). Now, she was simply giving in to her curiosity. She knew about oaths, of course, but her knowledge was limited and a little uncertain. The changelings in Chicago, as helpful as they'd been, hadn't been that keen to let her in on their secrets after she'd made it known that she wasn't going to stay.

Then her gaze flickered over to Terri and Rick (and now, L'aire). She couldn't help the little smile that graced her lips at the sight of what was obviously a romantic reunion. Evelynn herself was a sucker for that sort of thing. "Who are they?" Then she paused, blushing again. "I mean, I guess it's not any of my business, it's just... they're kind of adorable."

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 19

You do not have permission to view the list of names.