Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
A Prefect and a Myrmidon walk into a hotel...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Leonard "Lenny" Pope

PRE

It's the same-old, same-old at the Sterling. Lenny waits in Arnoud's favored meeting room, reading an ESPN magazine. He's dressed a bit differently, though: a nice suit, and dress shrirt, albeit without a tie and an insouciant tone to the whole get-up.

Maybe he's playing hotelier?
    Leonard "Lenny" Pope
    Ob 2 mask of tranquility
    presence 4 "casual confidence"
    Vitae 4

Arnoud Giessen
    Arnoud Giessen

+1
    SL
    PRE

Arnoud finds his way to the meeting room. He'd been coming here often lately. Perhaps too often. Perhaps a rotating system could be devised. Such a system would be hard to sell, of course, because it implied he did not completely trust Lenny to keep the room bug-free. And just because that was true didn't mean Lenny should do anything other than suspect Arnoud thought so.

Trust was important. He could do nothing for the Movement if he did not trust anybody. Eventually everybody would just end up returning the favor. That would be good from a security point of view but make any kind of cooperation nigh impossible.

When reaching the meeting room Arnoud politely knocks twice. It were these little things that ticked Arnoud off. Social custom demanded he knocked, it was the host's right to grant entree not his privilege. This struck Arnoud as so inherently stupid because he didn't know what was on the other side of the door.

Sure, there might be an one in a million chance Lenny displayed poor planning, was feeding right now and knocking spared him the embarrassment of me seeing it. But there was a much greater chance it wasn't so. And instead of a feeding scene there could be armed men, timed bombs, traps or other such things. Alright, maybe the odds of that were one in a billion. But when you walked the earth as long as Kindred did it only made sense that one time, your luck would run out. Walking in on a feeding
    without knocking wasn't fatal, walking in on an armed robbery while announcing your entry ahead of time generally was.

I'd probably have to deal with some Kindred to minimize this risk. Maybe learn something of that sensory power, Auspex. But who could he trust to learn him that? He hadn't heard anything from the Carthians. He was sure they were learning it, or already knew it -who'd skimp on something as essential as that?- but they weren't talking about it... Why wouldn't they show and tell? Perhaps because if someone knew they'd compensate for it. Made sense. Or maybe it was something more sinister. Maybe those who taught it demanded incredibly painful things. He wouldn't put it past them.

When Arnoud is invited in he enters with a smile, wondering what this 'chat' was going to be about. Regardless, it would allow him to relay the Prince's amendment on acknowledgment in person. While never discussed officially it would be just strange and disrespectful to have anyone other than the owner function as Keeper of Elysium.

Leonard "Lenny" Pope

PRE

"Hey, Arn," Lenny said, answering the door. He sat back down, in the chair nearest the door, and swept his hand at the other chairs, inviting the Prefect to do the same. He'd ask the man if he had pulled him away from something to make conversation, but Arnoud would probably take it as some bizarre attempt to spy on him, or a bid for power by putting himself in a regulatory position asking for a status report.

"Listen, I've been thinking a lot about what we talked about last time, and our... working relationship," he began. "There's something I need to tell you, that's going to affect you, and possibly the Movement, quite a bit. I have some business to take care of after this, so do you mind if I get 'cleaned up' while we talk?" he asked, pulling a cordless razor and a tie out of his pocket.

He held up the razor, in case Arnoud wanted to inspect it. He was fairly sure he'd never heard of one used as a deadly weapon, but if anyone could think of a way to do so, it'd be Arnoud. Or maybe a listening device hidden inside. That would be ridiculous, though, with the buzzing.

Wouldn't it?
    Leonard "Lenny" Pope
    Ob 2 mask of tranquility
    Vitae 4

Arnoud Giessen
    Arnoud Giessen

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Hey, Lenny." Arnoud returns the greeting as he enters and slowly navigates to another chair. Why was he sitting so close to the door? Were there other exits? Any changes to the room? Open windows, or were curtains drawn? After a few seconds hesitation Arnoud sat down in a chair, one that wasn't too sniper-friendly.

As Lenny continues Arnoud concluded that he probably wouldn't like where this was going. But that they were talking about it beforehand was better than getting caught with his proverbial pants down. Unless this wasn't going to be talking as much as Lenny coming to collect. As dictating terms or somesuch. Which meant it could still go downhill.

"Not at all." Arnoud responds, slightly unsure if this was actually true, as he waves the razor inspection.

Most likely some ploy to either lure him into a false sense of security -like calling this get together a 'chat' while it obviously wasn't, Lenny had waited with his shave- or just draw his attention away from other, more important, things. He didn't see anything though, then again even Heathcliff could cloud his mind to the point of hiding things in plain sight. Was that was Lenny was doing now? Hiding something in plain sight? A blade?

If so he wasn't showing it. Well, this... was something new. What was this? Some sort of male bonding intimacy thing among the kine that he'd missed maybe? Unlikely, then again mortals did all sorts of crazy things. Unlikely, then, that Lenny had caught on earlier than Arnoud... Unless it was something of this month. He'd been preoccupied. But the more likely scenario here was that it was symbolic.

The reference to working relationship, a tie... 'getting down to business'? But wouldn't that mean Arnoud too was 'business to take care of'? Lenny hadn't said other business, just business. Calculated to throw him off? Or was Lenny actively implying Arnoud was a part of the preparation of the business? What was up with the razor... Walking on a razor's edge? But then why electric? That made no sense. Or did it? A sign of modern times? Like the business alluded to?

What did it mean that Lenny was shaving at all? He'd never seen him without it. Not even when going to the classier joints. Shedding a skin? Or something different... beards were considered by some to be a barrier, something to keep others from becoming too intimate. But he was pretty sure it were only women who whined about such things.

Arnoud was drawing a complete blank. Nothing was without meaning. What was this about?

"So..."

Leonard "Lenny" Pope

PRE

Lenny started shaving. It was rough going -- the little electric wasn't meant for the dense hair, and it was more like some Kine gardener with a weed whacker than a shave. He seemed wholly unconcerned by the hair beginning to litter the table. Periodically, he would stop to tap the razor on the table to loosen hairs.

"You said, briefly, last time that one of your long-term goals was to become Primogen. Can you elaborate? As in, what sort of things you would want the Prince's ear for? Things you would change?"

It was almost comical, the voice raising over the buzzing, but... maybe Lenny was just eccentric.
    Leonard "Lenny" Pope
    Ob 2 mask of tranquility
    Vitae 4

Arnoud Giessen
    Arnoud Giessen

+1
    SL
    PRE

Not guaranteed fuck-up free, but reading all that stuff back is making me drowsy and I didn't want to make you wait any longer.
    Do believe the stuff about Domain Law is accurate, read it three times, if I still misread feel free to ignore.

Thinking ahead was a good thing, their previous talk about what to do and where to go with the Movement had been productive to the point of inspiring. But that was because it helped focus them, made sure they were committed to the same thing. Now Lenny brought up Primogen. Was he asking so he could disagree with my goals and back out? Did he aspire to be Primogen? Without being Prefect? Was he running next time? Was that the business?

"Just to get the basics out of the way; opinions will differ as to how to proceed. The Movement doesn't have a clearly defined goal. Or rather, it has several somewhat conflicting goals. Some Carthians want democracy, others want greater autonomy and some almost seem to want no change at all. A Primogen should balance these with the Prince's wishes, and see how these can be brought together. This should be manageable. After all, isn't it our own conceit that diversity isn't a flaw but a feature?"

"However, this ties in to the problem of Sacramento. All but one Carthian is new to the City. And as such, I can only guess what the Prince's goals are. Maybe he's working toward some end state and we can think of a useful variant or entirely new method. Or maybe he did all he wanted to during or directly following the Lost Nights and is completely content with the way things are now. I’d like to understand how this thing works before I try to change it. Slow and steady change in easily reversible increments."

Pausing a moment Arnoud realizes that he was evading the question and was rambling. Nervousness. Lenny's odd behavior? The subject at hand? The chair? Was the chair treated with something? Arnoud subtly inhales, collecting the air necessary for further speech and in so doing smells the air. Nothing.

"But to answer your question. One example might be the quote-unquote Kindred rights. Richard has specifically referred to them at the last meeting and I think most Kindred in favor of autonomy and democracy would back progress in this department too. Which just leaves the Prince’s position to figure out.
    For instance, the Laws of the Domain protect havens and thralls against violation, theft and destruction but only shields the Kindred of Sacramento themselves from outright destruction. So while you can't beat a thrall into a coma you could put a Kindred in torpor. Why is property better protected than its owner? At least legally?"

Maybe it's the Prince looking out for his property, his personal safety is already covered by other Laws, after all. Maybe it's a counter to some of the more vicious games they play in the Invictus. Maybe it's a way to stay current on the depths to which the more violent Kindred of Sacramento will sink. Maybe–

"I don't know but it might pay to have a look. We could ask the Prince where he’d most need the hypothetical networks ears, as duplicating resources is only moderately useful. Could, in the long run, lead to a surveillance-type of Law enforcement. Maybe in exchange for restricting certain forms of punishment."

"It all really depends on how negotiable the details are. The Prince has rules in place to encourage or discourage certain behaviors and I think that if we can come up with and agree on variations or alternatives that work as well he might be persuaded to try them. And if we can't come up with something better, then we really shouldn't be bitching about it anyway."

Leonard "Lenny" Pope

PRE

Lenny listened carefully, fighting with the hair on his face in a calm, persistent manner, finally putting the razor down. Pulling a knife from his suit, he began using it instead, then going to the razor once the hair had been 'thinned' out.

It didn't really concern him that the knife might startle Arnoud, because that would only make the assumption that Arnoud assumed he was unarmed to begin with. He doubted very seriously that was the case. And, while pulling a knife might seem threatening to some, in the context that both men were Toreador, simply looking at one another was already quite dangerous.

"I agree that the Laws could use some clarification. Under Freddrick, we were basically told that he had the Right of Destruction, and little more. There was no mention of property -- real or thralls. I think the underlying understanding is that ultimately, the Law will be interpreted or enforced by the Prince, so effectively serve as guidelines," he began, shrugging slightly.

"By defining Elysia, Monomacy, and Lex Talionnis, there are general guidelines of Kindred behavior -- but you're right, there are loopholes. Again, though, do you think that means the Prince would condone, say, someone staking Primogen Nagaraj, simply because it is permissible by the letter of the Law? Like I said, though, the Laws could use polishing. I seriously doubt the Prince would take affront to a suggestion by a Primogen to such," he continued.

"The actual civics of the government, however, are probably more complex. Of course you understand that this type of feudalism is the norm, and deviations would probably serve to attract attention from surrounding domains... both from fortune seekers, or other Princes who would not care for such changes. If we consider how vulnerable Sacramento is after the Lost Nights, I quite seriously doubt there would be any change in the monarchy, aside from subinfeudation. To even suggest changes could be taken as dissatisfaction, or a treasonous challenge."

"However."

"The Prince does seem fit to allow his officials, and even the Clan Prisci, a great degree of latitude. I'd imagine the same would be true for Primogen. I mean, hell, we exist in a feudal system, but within the Movement, practice democracy. You see what I mean?"

"Which brings me to another question I'm really curious about," Lenny continued. "I know you don't believe in democracy, which is usually associated with the Movement. I've watched you. You also pushed me towards Prefectship, and honor your Sire at Chains. Which means that you believe in some form of oligarchy, or meritocracy. I believe you are a man of conviction -- but I've haven't figured it out," Lenny said, looking curious. It was apparent that Lenny was used to figuring things out.

"You don't believe democracy -- and what you do gives me the impression that you understand, and endorse, the rule by a few, if only to mediate. Yet... you claimed to be an anarchist. You were as... bothered... by Archer's flagrant use of Auspex to violate others as I was . Elders make you damn nervous. You highlight the Laws loophole for not-Destruction. So I'm guessing that you endorse government only for the purpose for how it can protect it's citizens. I guess I'm just curious if that's close... and what dissatisfies you about the current one."

Lenny had finished turning his beard and moustache into eight o'clock shadow and put the knife away. Picking up the razor, he began again, with much better effect.
    Leonard "Lenny" Pope
    Ob 2 mask of tranquility
    Vitae 4

Arnoud Giessen
    Arnoud Giessen

+1
    SL
    PRE

Accidentally hit reply instead of preview, ignore the above post.

Arnoud didn't really like seeing the knife. If you assumed someone had an ace up their sleeves, an assumption that seemed always true with the more venerable Kindred like Lenny who seemed to have entire decks of aces hidden all over their body, being shown anything wasn't really that much to be happy about. They always kept more hidden and what they hid was always worse than what they revealed. Besides, Arnoud didn't really have an excuse to pull a blade himself. Not that he thought he had a snowballs chance in hell against Lenny when push came to shove... though surprise attack might buy him an escape, anything less than a complete surprise was likely suicide.

As Lenny continues Arnoud gets the distinct feeling that this, like most any other time, was not a time to be contradictory or "funny" by answering rhetorical questions so he just nods when appropriate, indicating that yes, he saw what Lenny meant.

When Lenny starts talking about how he had watched him he wasn't sure if that was a good thing. Sure, of all Kindred Lenny was mostly the one closest to his activities but having it so flat out stated made Arnoud feel exposed. The insights the elder had gained were also too accurate for comfort. Arnoud wasn't at all surprised by Lenny's perceptiveness but that didn't mean he was happy about it. The assessment was too close to the truth.

Considering the words spoken between them a moment longer before answering Arnoud looks at Lenny. Arnoud had played it as straight as he had dared and Lenny had seen much already.

"I believe in anarchy because a
    ny system that does rely on coercion for compliance inevitably fails. But that doesn't mean I think a system based on voluntary cooperation should come cheap or even apply to all equally. Someone wants freedom? Great, show me they can handle it. Most Kindred wouldn't go a year before messing it up."

"And so while I think everyone has a privilege to speak, I find that only a fraction
    says anything worth hearing. The rest abuse their privilege and waste time. Preferably I'd see everyone do things the way they would like to handle them. But again that means they need to be fit enough to do so wisely and of course, not everyone can be depended on to do it right. And so, if you want to keep things from getting out of hand, you prefer capable superiors over incapable equals. In an ideal world things might have been different, but in tonight's world pragmatism is called for. "

"The reason why I endorse government is not so much about protecting citizens, our ways generally focus more on retribution than actual protection anyway, as it is about educating them. To say we're not all on the same page would be an understatement but it should be possible that at least a subsection of the Kindred could be taught to conduct themselves appropriately, even when under less duress or direct supervision. Effectively make Kindred better suited to maintain society instead of merely exalting those few who align themselves."

"So it is not that I am dissatisfied with the current government per se,
    but that I think that, in the long run, the current society will not change while it could get better. The same cooperation that makes a Blood Hunt so effective could just as easily be turned to any other endeavor. The network we discussed last time is one such example. It's in everyones best interest to know what happens in our own backyard but currently few if any seem to care. And frankly, that's irresponsible."

"When someone contributes to maintaining society we can start thinking about maybe relaxing some laws. Relax some laws protecting ghouls for an enforcer, allow someone keeping the Masquerade to work more directly against the police when necessary, things like that. It might take centuries before we can do away with government entirely, and that's too bad but until I can trust the rest I see no alternative. Besides we have all the time in the world so long as we take it slow and don't do anything drastic."

Leonard "Lenny" Pope

PRE

Lenny wanted to ask Arnoud if he realized that he wanted to be an Invictus Au Pair.

He thought that was hilarious. The. Carthian. Prefect.

"You say government should exist solely for education, and perhaps as an institute only until a person proves themselves 'worthy' of freedom," Lenny mused. He was done shaving, but was hunched over... pulling out contacts.

"I assume that education would be in behavior that someone defined. Difficult... considering the predator within. You also realize that the Carthian Prefect becoming Primogen would legitimize the Movement in a way that it hasn't been since... shit... sometime around Straiphen, I'm guessing?"

The contacts were out, and Lenny flipped up his collar and slid the tie around his neck. Face, still lowered, examined the knot his hands began to deftly tie.

"Did you know the Prince has left the Invictus for the Ordo Dracul?"
    Leonard "Lenny" Pope
    Ob 2 mask of tranquility
    Vitae 4

Arnoud Giessen
    Arnoud Giessen

+1
    SL
    PRE

Arnoud considered amending his explanation but felt closely monitoring and policing was implied. Besides, judging by the averted gaze and immediate change of subject it seemed Lenny was already underwhelmed enough as it was. That stung sufficiently to make Arnoud decide there was no need to make other similarities with the established order any more explicit. So instead Arnoud again silently regretted Lenny had broached the subject and just nodded in agreement with Lenny's assessment of the flaws before adding mirthlessly;

"Yes, the Beast is perhaps the greatest constant and it can be neither reasoned nor bartered with."

And it would require either great investments to contain its worst aspects or several large concessions to what would in the end constitute acceptable behavior. Even if the person was willing to accept another's authority during the formative education, the Beast could only be pushed so far.

"A royal acknowledgment of Carthian efforts and the place the Movement has in
    Sacramento? Even if initially nothing but a token office having a Carthian Primogen and the ear of the Prince would tell us –and outsiders– that we’re making progress. Yes, such legitimacy would be most useful."

Aside from the obvious it would also tell the old guard, all those Kindred from Before that had since been assigned every office of worth, that the Carthian Movement wasn’t a complete joke and that some degree of competence could be found within it’s ranks. Hell, if we had a Primogen we might be able to get some other Carthians in or near office. Nothing grand, hell, even positions subservient to Invictus are worth considering. Somehow I think the Invictus would enjoy- WHAT!?

Left the Invictus?!” Arnoud managed to sound just exceedingly surprised instead of completely and utterly flabbergasted. When? How? Where? Why? …the on-set of torpor?

“He has also surrendered his position as Priscus for a Ventrue unknown to me, Victoria Stamford.” Arnoud decides to say, not sure how it ties in and pretty sure Lenny already knew but not caring to leave such things to chance.

Intelligence networks, eh? Such things were indeed ridiculously beneficial. Why Arnoud had waited so long with starting his own he did not know. Or he did, but now wished he hadn’t been such a lazy bastard. In becoming so a public a target his continued survival depended on such knowledge.

Arnoud is silent for a bit while he tries to wrap his mind around what this could mean. Was this even good news? On the one hand the Prince left the Invictus, generally assumed to be antithetical to the Carthian Movement, for the Ordo Dracul, a Covenant Arnoud knew exceedingly little of besides that they were generally regarded as less intrinsically interested in temporaral power. This meshed well with the Priscus Stamford development… if the Prince had suddenly developed a new personality to explain this sudden shift in allegiance. While not unheard of in Elders, especially Ventrue Elders, the Prince had never appeared so unhinged to Arnoud. Granted, he’d generally kept a nice distance between the Prince and himself but still. Something must have prompted this change. Goddamnit Richard, if you are going to be the liaison to the Dragons you’d better get your act together. I should have known this…Unless Richard wanted him to be caught by surprise.

"Why did he leave the Invictus? How? Who leads them now?" Arnoud asks when the implications for the City and the Carthian Movement prove to be simply too varied and overwhelming to fully understand with a few moments thought. There were a million questions and once again Arnoud wondered why Lenny, who was so obviously better qualified and informed, wasn't Prefect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread