DISPLAYED
Page 8 of 10 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Last

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn pulled her fiddle from under her chin and tucked it close to her body, watching with sad eyes as her wraith drifted from next to the Sandman's body over to her. Taking a deep breath, she looked it in the face for only a brief moment before slowly starting to pack her fiddle away.

"Sleep now, my love." her voice barely carried over the ripple of the water; but it wasn't meant for any of the others that might be listening.

Straightening, she brushed absently at the tears that slowly worked their way down her cheeks. Sorrow was an old friend, one she could work through given enough need. And they weren't quite done here.

"We need to take a look around. He might have the names of the children he was tormenting, some sort of list or mementos. Some way to identify them. If we can identify them, we can maybe help them heal from what happened."

"Maybe…." She started wading across the room, reaching the Sandman's body and looking down at him. "Maybe we can get the answer a bit more directly."

S
    Saeyer

Ah. So that was why the Sandman went for Lynn's violin in the dream. Hand resting on the rock candy wall to steady herself, she looked on with grim satisfaction as first the spectral figure struck the incubus, and then the blade as Coco's sure, swift movements made short work of him. There was no fanfare, no storm of bugs and smug laughter like in the dream; he was much less frightening, this side of the pillow.

Her eyes followed Green as he waded through, watching how high the water rose on the giant as he approached the corpse. Clearing her throat quietly to dislodge a lump, Ava's voice, still sweetened by glamour, rolled across the water toward him. "I wanted to search it, just in case." The phrasing suggested she may have changed her mind, but pride won out: Autumn's Scrivener could not be seen so ruled by her own fears. It had been one thing to remain on the sidelines of a fight, well out of everyone's way; it was another to cling to the wall like a barnacle while the others searched.

"I don't think we'll find a list," she said to Lynn, taking a step forward into the water. "Even if we did, without his mind as a hub the gateways he left should break down. What those kids need now is therapy."

Moving carefully toward the trio of Lost, her face was carefully serene, almost too calm. It was just like the bath, she could get out whenever she wanted. But it wasn't like the bath, she couldn't just stand up- the basin wasn't so shallow she couldn't have her legs and her chest under water at the same time. The serenity cracked, her expression falling and heart rattling her rib cage. Nevermind she could see, for a fact, that it didn't get much deeper than it was. The others were there, just a few feet away, but it didn't matter.

There was a shadow in the water, something dark and nebulous. Not a shadow, blood. The depth and the faint current brushing past her, the smell of damp was too much. One large step back, too hasty, and a misstep- a foot went out from under her, balance thrown. In she went, the hair of her cloak making a cloud around her, strands caught in the eddies as the water hit her throat, face, worming into her ears and drawn into her nose in a sharp, spluttering intake. Her hands scrabbled for purchase on the floor and she broke the surface with a choked breath.

Ava's legs took her back to the edge of the Hollow on their own. Back turned to the room and eyes clamped shut, the Scrivener stood with the heel of a palm pressed to the bridge of her nose, muttering disjointed phrases, snippets of things she tucked away like talismans. Some small measure of fostered comfort.

Date Action Roll Result
    2015-10-27 20:59:28 Ava rolls 6 to Resolve+Composure (10 Again) 4, 7, 6, 1, 2, 1 failure
    2015-10-27 20:47:39 Ava rolls 4 to Dex+Athletics (10 Again) 10, 10, 7, 4, 8, 4 3 successes

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

A snide remark had risen to the Wasp's lips as she saw the melancholy enter the musicians features. If she'd merely waited then there would have been no reason for her to inflict such sorrow upon herself, or to force the shade of her husband to commit such violence. Alas, as it was with all things, it now seemed, Lynn was quick to overlook and discard her.

Of course, Coco could not dwell upon such thoughts for long. A sharp splash dashed the bitterly mocking sentiments aside, the Wasp whirling to find Ava submerged beneath the water. Her blade arose, her eyes hunting for some yet unseen threat, yet when the Nix arose and began to swiftly march away the sword lowered. Hastily wiping the steel upon the edge of her coat, Coco hurried after her.

"Ava! Are you alright?!" she called, moving after the retreating form of her friend. H

Had some spell been cast upon her? Was the water not as benign as it had seemed? Well, she'd leave the others to figure that out. Sheathing the blade in her cane, Coco darted forward so she could come abreast with the Archivist.

"Ava, what's the matter? What are you saying?"
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

4. Likes InvertedMonkey, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

Green watched, somewhat helplessly, as Ava slipped and plunged into the watery depths. At that moment, he didn't entirely trust his own heavy feet on the slick and slippery surface. His eyes followed her as she struggled free of the water's embrace and as she hurried away.

His expression did not change.

Connections easily made by others were lost on Malcolm Green; he may be once again flesh and blood, but the knot where his soul once lay remained proud stone. Impervious heart of the mountain. He could only watch with bland curiousity, quite aware that he was missing.... something.... but unable to articulate what.

6. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

Lynn heard Ava fall into the water, turning and watching the Archivist in concern. But whatever was happening, it seemed private. And there was still something to be accomplished. She stood over the body of the Sandman, thinking to herself that it was remarkable how quickly such a terrible person had died. For all the power he'd held in dreams, it hadn't been enough to protect him in life. Something to remember.

But either way, they weren't done yet. She hadn't know him long enough in life to be able to speak with his ghost easily, but that didn't mean it couldn't be done.

Brushing one hand over her eyes, Lynn focused on the next world over, where she might be able to pursued the ghost of the Sandman to give them what they needed.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-10-27 19:22:54 Lynn Mills rolls 7 to speak with Ghosts [Wyrd (2) + Presence (2)] (10 Again, WillPower) 1, 7, 3, 2, 4, 5, 5 failure

At first she couldn't see anything, still distracted by grief and the dragging depression that made every effort almost unbearable. With an angry toss of her head, Lynn dug her fingernails into her palms and tried again. She'd been through this before and she would not fail when needed.

5 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-10-27 19:23:21 Lynn Mills rolls 7 to speak with Ghosts [Wyrd (2) + Presence (2)] (10 Again, WillPower) 9, 9, 1, 5, 10, 7, 8, 10, 6 5 successes

This time, she knew that she'd succeeded, as the world around her faded back just a tiny bit and the ghostly forms of the spirits inhabiting the Hollow came into focus. Including one very important one. The ghost of the Sandman.

The Twilight rebels at the presence of the dread musician. Why should it not? Enslaved as she has one of it's own to be her weapon. Left with her own morose grief at the use of her Token, it might be difficult for Lynn not to feel as though her failure is somehow deserved. Her fault for interfering where she should not. Yet the Twilight reveals its self anyway, not just to Lynn but to Green as well. Light dims. Colors fade. Shadows lengthen and creep. Smoke wafts out of the Sandman's corpse, bubbling up through the water and then writhing into the air, thick and gray like charcoal. Confusion is obvious, the smoke moves as if ton this way and that. Here, one could seems to form a skull torn of flesh. There, a severed hand, withered and decayed. What Lynn has summoned is not the Sandman. It is perhaps an echo of what he once was, but it is not the Sandman, and it shows in the way it slowly coalesces into being, mismatched parts fitting together like half-remembered memories. The man appears, crafted of smoke and shade, for just a moment. His eyes are wild and his limbs flail, until he catches sight of Lynn. His mouth sets in a grim line, then he bares his teeth, anger coloring his expression... and then he is gone. The smoke swallows him again, whirling and churning, then parting like stage curtains to reveal... a little girl in a yellow dress. Hair once blonde and perfect is now faded and thin. A skirt once bright and wholesome now ratty and tattered. Old blood stains the front of her dress, in two long waterfalls that blend into each other, one from her breast and the other from the throat. "Funny," she says, her too-sweet voice somehow distant and faded, "I thought it would be Daniel. Then again, even his name proves him a liar." Her smile fades, irritation filling her expression, "What do you hope to gain now? You've ruined everything already, what more can you take from me? Or are you here to save me?" The smile returns, mocking this time, "Even you don't know what happens to us next, do you? Neither do I. Will you keep me here, then? Anchor me from passing into the terrible beyond? Don't want to be responsible for another death?" Her eyes flick to the fiddle.

Lynn Mills

FAME
    PRE

Lynn shook her head at the child. "You're right, I don't know what's going to happen next. I wish I did, maybe then I'd be able to help my husband move on." She took a step closer and tilted her head, looking at the girl with tired eyes. "But I've got one thing to offer you, something I'd want in your place." She reached down and tapped her finger on her fiddle case. "You've managed to do something the Freehold will be talking about for years. We'll be months trying to figure out just how far you managed to reach." She spread her hands just a bit. "I want to write about you, sing about you. It will be an epic song, a series of songs, one that people listen to for years. They'll know your name and they'll be afraid, so very afraid. Of you."

"You say that Daniel is a liar. I'm not. I'll keep my word and I'll write about you." Lynn leaned closer.

Oaths sworn and kept. I've kept my word and now I call upon my boon. Lynn's mantle flared for a moment, bringing with it the distant sound of a storm and a cooling breeze.

"All you need to do, is tell me everything. All the names, everything you did. Tell me everything."

All the details, all the names
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-10-29 19:24:20 Lynn Mills rolls 7 to persuade [Manipulation (3) + Persuasion (1)] (8 Again, WillPower) 10, 10, 3, 7, 3, 10, 8, 4, 6, 8, 1, 7 5 successes

10. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

She winced as the Claviger's voice broke through her mantra, teeth sinking into her lower lip as she forced herself to stop talking. At first a guttural sound of frustration was her only response, a shaky rumbling in her throat. Through effort she turned it into resentful sigh, and the hand pressing against the bridge of her nose slid up into her hair, disrupting the tight pull of the bun. "Oh- I'm fine. Nothing's wrong, not really, I just..." Fingers flexed, nails biting into her scalp and then loosening, tensed again. "I don't like water. And," her voice descended into an angry yet somehow melodious hiss, "I'm angry that he knew because I never actually told anyone, I never said anything about it so it means he was rooting around in my head, in my dreams, and I didn't know. How the fuck did I not notice that? I had nightmares about him but I didn't think..."

Pulling the hairtie out, eyes still shut, the Nix ran her fingers through her wet hair in sort, abrupt motions. "That was exactly what he wanted to happen and I literally just walked right into it. I didn't think it would bother me that much but obviously... fucker..." If he had known about the water, surely he could've known more, other fears. He'd known enough to try and use blood against her in the dream, that meant something. She hadn't wanted to admit it, but it was part of the reason she had been so eager to see him dead. What an ugly thing.

Whatever was going on in the rest of the room was behind the bulwark of her turned back, attention firmly rooted in her own distress and Coco's presence.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"He doesn't matter anymore, Ava," Coco uttered softly, her gloved right hand settling gently against the coat's damp fur between the Nix's shoulder blades. "He never even saw you slip, or get more than your shins wet, and now his bones will molder in that cave forevermore..."

The Wasp's voice trailed off, unsure what else there was to say. Fear was something Coco was familiar with, but only in the context of herself. Never before had she tried to slay another person's fear. All she could do was counsel as if she were speaking to herself.

"Come," she said, patting Ava's back. "Let us rejoin the others. Let us prove that, in the end, the Sandman's plan was for nought. That you are still standing stalwart in his feeble trap. Let thatbe your last blow against him and his memory. A sign that, even in your mind, that wretch will eventually be meaningless and forgotten."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

13. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

While Lynn whispered, standing over the shoal where the Sandman's body lay, and Coco and Ava moved off down the tunnel, the big Elemental gingerly began moving again. Stooped like an old man, his large hands groped and explored the slick surface beneath the pooling waters.

Just in case. One never knew what one might find in a Hollow. The Sandman's threat might be over but his Hollow could still hold clues to his activities and his victims.

Date Action Roll Result
    2015-11-02 03:37:08 Green to search for stuff rolls 4 to Wits + Investigation (10 Again) 7, 9, 5, 2 1 success
    2015-11-02 03:36:20 Green to keep his footing rolls 3 to Dexterity + Athletics - 2 (10 Again) 3, 4, 9 1 success

Page 8 of 10 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Last
Closed Thread