Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(PrP) Nightmare At Large, Pt. 3

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

This is the third and final chapter of the Nightmare At Large story, which is a conclusion to the Once More Into The Dreaming storyline.
    The dream has ended. Reality must be faced. It is one thing to confront a specter, mind against mind with indignation knives and shots of rage. It is another to think of a living, breathing body... as your prey. The Changelings are the hunters now, and their quarry knows they've found him. They must move swiftly, whatever their hesitations, to regroup and catch this monster. God knows what will befall them if they should fail.

S
    Saeyer

At the bottom of a winding set of stone steps, fixed to the walls of a well, the Scrivener's hollow opened up into a small cave. A tiny stream cut from one side of the room to the other, flowing beneath a weathered wooden desk and by a small cot, tucked partially out of the way. The rough stone walls had been carved into rudimentary shelves, stacked thick with books both modern and old, and a few of the Nix's own penning. A pleasant glow filled the space, light concentrated above each Lost's head as the pendulous lamps responded to their presence; the lamps themselves were like huge strands of glow worms, suspended from the cavernous ceiling.

A handful of camp chairs were set up in a small circle that took up most of the cave's space, other furniture pushed out of the way for the time being. It wasn't a lavish place, but it was decently more lived in that the last time it had seen visitors. Tea was produced from a thermos, with enough mismatched cups to go around.

Leaning against her desk in lieu of taking a seat, for the moment, Ava waited for everyone to get settled. Dressed in her customary black, her hair was pulled out of her face in a tight bun and her usual boots had been replaced with worn black sneakers. To top the look off, she had a stringy hooded fur coat wrapped around her shoulders and a thorny vine around one wrist. She hoped to need neither of them, but better safe.

"Please, come in, make yourselves comfortable. There's tea over there if you want it. Once everyone's settled we'll catch folks up to speed on the Run."

equipment

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn settled herself in a chair, her fiddle case set at her feet. Before the meeting, she'd walked the streets of Sacramento for nearly an hour, feeding off the emotions of the people around her in order to ready herself for the coming fight. She might not be highly skilled in battle, but she could conceal herself and more importantly, she could help heal anybody who might be injured during the fight. She'd dressed for the occasion; leather jacket, dark jeans, a pair of battered but tough sneakers. And a long dagger she wore strapped to one hip, along with a compact first aid kit she'd stuffed in her fiddle case.

"Thank you," she murmured softly as she accepted a cup of tea.

Glamour Harvest

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Not long after Lynn tread into the cave, a Wasp entered. Though not just any Wasp. No, this one stood just over five feet in height, and wielded a Stinger which stretched half as tall as that. A frightening prospect, were one to consider the implications of that. Of course, the riding outfit the wasp wore did a wonderful job of downplaying those implications. The Wasp's smile, however, didn't as she entered and strode over to claim one of the camp chairs.

"Hello, Steward," she said to Lynn, relaxing back into the chair, cane across her lap. "I have, you see, come to your call. To protect you, of course. Though, I must admit, I am quite looking forward to doing more than that. I see you are, too, Ava!" she cheered, beaming at the Nix. "You're wearing our matching bracelet! I love it! I would have worn, mine, too, but I'm saving that for a certain Dragon. I hope you don't mind."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse
    Duration: Year and a Day

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

Daniel entered Ava's cave and into the gloom of glow worm lanterns. Marcus' trench knife was hidden near his waist. Along with the weapon he'd brought a map of Sacramento. It was mostly as a guidance aid. Daniel knew where the Sandman was but that was a memory he had while asleep. So just in case he'd brought at least something to orient himself if need be. And then he'd also brought his watch. It was bad timing but he had a bus to catch. Hopefully there would be enough time for both but he doubted it.

"Hi Ava. Hey Lynn," he greet the Beast and Darkling.

"And you must be Coco," he said keeping a neutral tone with the Fairest. He still remembered hearing about what 'The Wasp' had said about Morgan. It took some self control to remind himself that he hadn't heard both sides of the story. Still, he doubted there could be any reason for some to say such things about the Steepscrambler. Still, Coco was helping so that was at least something.

"So, what's the plan? I have marked on the map where I'm pretty sure where the Sandman is," he confirmed.
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

Lynn Mills

Queen of the Verdant Court
    Darkling Nightsinger/Minstrel
    Presence - 2 Mantle (Spring) - 3 Wyrd - 3

FAME
    PRE

Lynn shot Daniel an understanding look at his cool greeting to Coco. She felt much the same and if she'd had her choice she'd have gone with almost anybody else. But the fact was they needed muscle to get this job done and none of the three remaining members of their "dream team" where very strong in that area.

"Thank you Ms. Tascioni." Lynn's voice was distinctly cool as she addressed the Wasp. "But I'm not the focus of today's expedition. The Sandman is. Since Daniel was able to ascertain his location, we'll be headed there shortly in order to make sure he never hurts any children, ever again." She looked at the map that Daniel was holding. "I imagine that there's more than one direction we can approach in? And of course we have no idea what his Hollow looks like, so we'll have to play things by ear once we get in."

Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

A shadow fell across the entrance to the hollow - a darkness that filled it completely. There followed a grunting (and a cursing) and the sound of ripping fabric and banging of bag. The mountain entered the Hollow with ponderous tread, dragging snagged thorns along with him. Swearing he stopped, fumbling as he tugged at the briars affixed to his heavy clothing.

"I'm here," Green rumbled belatedly as he struggled down the narrow steps. For this expedition the mountain was back in his stout boots and denim, a much patch greatcoat (now in need of more patching) swathing his great form. A green bandana was wrapped around his head - new look that bought out the sharp lines of his face. A bag with a shoulder strap banged at his hip. "I heard you had found trouble, yeah. Trouble for the 'hold."

He paused on the threshold of the cave, looming with his gemstone eyes gleaming in the diffuse light.

"Ah. Hi there."

Green is waring a heavy clothing (0/1 armour). His bag contained a canteen of water, a pack lunch, a basic first aid kit* , two goblin fruits** and a dirty penny.

* Green has Resources 2 so will have purchased the basic kit before his journey
    ** Green has Harvest 2 - ST will he have been able to source 2 Buglewort (Core, p224)

8. Likes Cayce liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

"If I'm ever close enough to any dragons to still need this," Ava said, plucking at the bracelet, "I'm in very bad shape." A brief flash of a smile showed that she was pleased to see the Wasp, despite the cool eye that had been trained on her and Lynn. She was glad enough for both of them to be involved, but in cynical moments she doubted their ability to do so without infighting. They would just have to see.

A thin hand raised to greet Daniel and then Green, who she waved in. "Hey, glad you could make it. Come on in." After a small sip of tea, the Nix launched in. "Alright, thanks for coming, everyone. Before we get into planning, I'd like to bring Coco and Green up to speed." She looked between the two Lost to make sure she had their attention before continuing.

"I don't know if anyone remembers hearing about this on the news maybe, a year ago or so, but there was something called Daydream Gum putting children in comas. It was packaged and presented like candy, but each piece was individually dreamwoven to connect back to one dream. I, and a small handful of people including Mal, was in the right place at the right time and was asked to look into it. With Ms. Jasons assistance, we walked the Skein and found our way to a dream-prison populated by children, who were terrorized for the benefit of someone they called the Sandman."

Another sip of tea. "We got the children out, effectively waking them up from their comas, but the Sandman itself was a bit more than we could handle at the time. We ran, the gum vanished, the comas stopped. We didn't have any real leads until recently, when I ran into a child that recognized me from the dream." She paused there, a little uncomfortable with the fact that he had been able to pick her out of a crowd so easily, but in the end it had helped so she supposed she should be grateful. "He was still being terrorized by the Sandman, the thing had just gotten cleverer. With some help, I was able to get the kid to agree to a pledge that allowed myself, Daniel, Lynn, and a couple of others to reach his dream and then the Sandman's after, where we confronted him... her... we're not sure about gender yet."

"Daniel managed to extract the location of the Sandman's Hollow from the dream," she said with a gesture toward the map the Darkling held. "So here's what we know: the Sandman is an incubus, one of us with a bent for terrorizing people in their dreams. The first time I met it I got the impression it recognized Ms. Jasons, but that didn't turn up any leads on her end. Also," she scratched her cheek, a little irritated and a little resigned, "It knew my name this time around, middle name and all. Fair to assume the Sandman has done some research, at least on me and maybe on Lynn and Daniel now, though we've tried not to give it much time."

"Lastly, this is an Ash Run. If that doesn't suit you..." The statement trailed off as she made a courteous but firm gesture toward the door.

"Any questions, before we get started?" Despite the cup cradled in her hands, the Scrivener, and current Magister of Nightmares, held a more official air than usual, dark eyes sharp and the general aspect of good humor gone from her face.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

There was a certain, perverse glee that had begun to appear with every gesture, gaze, and word of ill will which were directed towards her. Coco began to wonder just what might happen were she to abandon her attempts to garner anything else. Perhaps she should simply become the fiend they assumed her to be. How shocked they might become, were she to begin to actually try to pester them.

It was a tempting thought, though one that would have to wait until she had slain the Sandman. That would be the telling blow! Either glory or fear and derision would toll out from the striker which ended the Sandman's life, and so there was no point making decisions now when all might change within the day. Besides, this appeared to be important to Ava, and Coco had no desire to damage her only friendship. No, no matter what the others might say, today would only strengthen the tenuous bond between her and the Nix. Thus she promptly shook her head when questions were called for, eager to be about the Hunt.

"Nay, no questions from me. Let us be on our way soon, lest our quarry slip away."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

Daniel Leto
    Daniel

Mask: He looks to be late teens or early twenties with blonde hair and blue eyes. He has a kind face and an understanding look. When talking with him he is always engaged, nodding and giving indications he’s listening to you. His smiles have a melancholy to them, though.
    Mein: His eyes and hair turn black beneath the mask. His skin becomes paler as if drained of color, giving him the slight appearance of a marble grave statue. Two stumps with tattered black feathers grow from his shoulder blades. They can be seen pressing at the back of his shirt. The odd feather pokes through holes. Most striking though, is that he is slightly transparent in an otherworldly way. His mantle manifests as wisps of fog and mist.
    Status/Social

Presence: 2
    Freehold Status: 3
    Winter Mantle: 3
    Wyrd: 4
    Hidden Life: 1
    Rigid Mask
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Will/Health/Glamour

Willpower Max: 5

Health Max: 7

Glamour Max: 9/13
    Promises and Vows

Vow (Winter Freehold Commendation):
    Task: Fealty, Medial Alliance (Freeholders)
    Boon: Vassalage (+1 Clarity deg), Adroitness (+1 Empathy)
    Sanction: Medial Curse

Horn and Bone

Vow (Sharpened Horn and Bone):
    Task: Dreaming, Endeavor (stop nightmares)
    Boon: Adroitness (Empathy, Occult)
    Sanctions: Poisoning of Boon (Adroitness)

PRE

"Having not been there personally I couldn't say which would be the best approach. In the dream I saw a path through Sacramento starting around here." He pointed at a location near a homeless shelter in the seedier part of town. "I think it's where he's been living. I'd suggest starting there and moving to the train tracks. If the Sandman is fleeing from his Hollow we might actually bump into him if tries going home first." He glanced around for confirmation of his idea. Tactical thinking wasn't his strong suit but running away and evading hunters he did have some experience.

He nodded grimly at Ava's mention of this was a Hunt. It made him a little uncomfortable. Oddly, he would have preferred to know the Sandman better but there were other lives to consider.

"I don't have any other questions and I agree with Coco that we should probably start out right away. Even the nightmare we gave them, the Sandman could already be starting to go to ground."
    Darkling Gravewight | Winter Mantle ••• (Mist and Fog) | Glamour 9 / Willpower 4/5 (4 HotD) / Wyrd 4
    Rigid Mask / Hidden Life 1 / Winter Freehold Vow / Horn and Bone

12. Likes Cayce liked this post
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread