Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Two devils after the storm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

continued from here

Richelieu still felt a bit on edge after the throwdown between Avis and Bahlam. He understood Avis' point of view but didn't necessarly and entirely approved the way it was handled. Anyways, she was the superior and he had to believe she knew what she was doing ... not sure he was going to raise the subject though.

As a mage, being her elder and, from what he suspected from her demeanor, and her being physically and magically stronger, he feared nothing good could come of such a confrontation. Better to go the quiet route and count his blessings. Balham was out of the race after all.

They both walked towards a middle class kind of neighborhood and entered a small apartment. All the essentials were there, though it was not the biggest of all. At least, it seemed sound proof enough that their conversation would not be overheard, that gotta count for something.

He led Avis into the living room and pull up two chair, one for each to them to continue their conversation.

"Well, we should be able to keep our business private in here. I think there are some things we need to discuss. For starters, how about you tell me more about the lay of the lands. As unfortunate as Bahlam reaction was, he was very specific about a few points which Arthur only explained to me in general terms. It seems established that there banishers in the city but what is this GLO our less wise neighbor was prattling about ? "

He hadn't been in here long and wasn't sure what that was about.

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

While it was true that the Sanctum Avis now lived in was much larger, it didn't speak to the same sense of wealth that Richelieu's apartment did, middle class neighborhood or not. From where Avis had come from, this was semi-palatial. Not that she necessarily appreciated wealth, but there was a part of her, the part which still revolved around the context of the Lie, that was impressed.

"Nice place," she offered amiably, taking a seat across from the Thearch. "Do you mind if I eat in here?" A nod was given to the bag of leftovers.

"We just, ya know, didn't really finish lunch. I'll still fill you in while I eat, though. I just couldn't say much in public, obviously. Not that there's that much to tell you at this point. The investigations into the Banishers basically just got started. It took us months to get the different cabals and the Consilium charter together, so things are really only starting to happen now. Basically, the Banishers were able to settle into the University over a period of years and are now pretty heavily dug in. GLO is a drug, a tool that they're using to recruit. Basically, it can force sleepwalkers Awake, and once their Awake the Banishers haul them off to be brainwashed. We don't know if it can Awaken sleepers, or if it just stirs their slumber, so to speak, but we do know its bad shit. My cabal is chasing that lead, in addition to rooting out a lot of the Banishers political resources.

"As for the other Cabals, I'm not quite sure what they're up to. We're trying not to cross paths so we don't contaminate anyone else's investigations. You'd have to speak to them about the particulars. Did Arthur give you their contact info?"
    she asked, a brow twitching upward.
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

"It's not a problem. I can even heat up your food a little if you wish." He was playing host so he had better play this part well.

He had trouble masking an horrified look when Avis described the effect of GLO.
    "That's ... that's .... that's completely unnatural. Not to mention extremely unwise. To force awakening on an unprepared soul like this ...that's not unlike using the most vulgar magic in front of sleeper to try to awaken them. I guess I understand why this would be a priority for the council. The guardians of the veil in particular must be outraged about this."

He poured himself a drink, a whisky, unfortunately not the good stuff, just the one you find in supermarkets. He didn't propose one to Avis, remembering that she wasn't too found of alcohol.

"Well, Arthur gave me your contact info, that's how we happen to meet. We were discussing in public when I first saw Arhtur so we couldn't talk into much detail about the current situation. I've met a couple other mages apart from you and Bhalam since I arrived in the city. If you could give me the contact details of the other recruiting cabals, then I'll get right on it."

While Richelieu tried to act with a composed manner, it was obvious this business with the GLO and banisher affected him more than he let on, which Avis could see without a problem.

"Well, coming back to this dreaded banisher case. I'll admit I am not too experienced dealing with this kind of stuff but is it just me or are these traitors much more organized and funded than their usual ilk?"

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Naw, s'fine," Avis replied, already opening a box and digging in. Utensils were a luxury. One her host likely would have offered her, but, well, why waste the time it would take for him to go up and get them? Besides, she wanted to see how he'd react. Not just to mess with him, there was a bit of that, but to get another gauge of who he was as a person. Besides the shock of the Banisher's fucked up tactics, which was good to see, but didn't tell her much more than that he was a member of the Awakened Nation.

So, fingers messy from barbecue she couldn't pronounce, she finished chewing her current bite and considered his questions.

"Well, that's the thing, they've had time to dig in for several years while the Consilium limped along. In that time they've built up their infrastructure. They got political and financial allies. They're embedded in the University itself. Like, not just there, they're a part of the faculty. They're putting their fucking fingers in the clay of young minds. Teaching hate and rejection to the impressionable. That's why they're also targeting the Greek system. I mean, what other social group is as insular and just plain old fucked up as them? Short of the government or terrorists, I mean."

She paused, popping another pinch of food into her mouth and chewed quickly.

"They're also involved with the Newman Group. Some kind of Catholic thing for universities. You might be able to help a cabal check that out, since you've got the christian thing covered."

Another bite, but this time she just spoke around it.

"There's a social gathering that's gonna start soon. You can talk to the cabal's there. I'll give you numbers before I leave, too, so don't worry about it."
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Richelieu nodded at Avis explanation as to why the college was targeted. Young mind are impressionable, easy to manipulate and eager to be led to ... new experiences. Thus the GLO he assumed.

"You mean a gathering of the consilium members? I was wondering if the local community had a regular scheduled meeting of that kind of sort. I'll be sure to show myself there and look out for a suitable cabal to join. This should accelerate the process. Speaking of the community, could you tell me more about the people that are in it? Important figures, Cabal and the likes."

If the meeting of Avis and Bahlam prior to this one was any indication, he could expect some tensions between members of the community. He wondered if he could do anything about it. He felt it was his role as a Tearch. To give guidance and work for a strong united pentacle.

Spells active

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Um, I guess, sure," Avis agreed, though she shoveled another bite into her mouth to give her some time to think about what she'd say while she chewed. It wouldn't be hard to summarize her opinions on anyone, necessarily, but that didn't mean it would be the best information to give to introduce him to the different people in town. But, well, if he stuck around long enough to become her Provost, he'd have to hear her opinions eventually.

"Aight, well, I guess we'll start with the Hierarch. Aquinas. He's a master of Pandemonium, and a successful financial adviser, thing, so definitely someone who knows what they're doing. Thing is, I don't tend to agree with what he wants to do all that much, though we do both agree that a stable Consilium is the best thing for us. He tends to frown a lot, and act very superior, but he tends to cover that up by appearing sympathetic. You might get along with him," she guessed with a shrug.

Richelieu did used to be called 'Father', after all, so he probably understood the paternal demeanor Aquinas so often projected.

"Next, there's the Council. You already know me, but then there's Emrys representing the Enchanters, Truce representing the Moros, Star representing the Obrimos, and Striker representing the Shamans. Emrys is alright, but he can get really argumentative. Like, seriously, seriously argumentative. He's working on it, though. Truce is a mealy mouthed ass kisser, so 'nough said there, and Striker is a criminal. He's broken Secrecy twice, and he assaulted me. Still, only Thyrsus up for the job, so we have to put up with his shit. Lastly, there's Star, who's an amazing person. He's a Guardian, though, so he cultivates a lot of illusions. That's all I'll say, though. You'll just have to meet 'em all to learn more about them."

Honestly, that seemed like a good primer, in her opinion.

"As for Cabals, there's the Golden Thread, which the Hierarch is in. Don't try and join it. You'd just be wasting your time, and theirs. Then there's the Fateful Watch. If you wanna see about them, speak to Miach. Nice enough guy, I guess. A doctor. He could definitely use a disciple of Space. There's also Temoins du Sud, who have Crowley, a Herald, Truce, who I mentioned, and Einstein, who supposedly quite the Consilium. They could probably also use someone. Lastly, there's my cabal, Veiled Threats, but we're full up."

"Sounds like most of the cabal are full at the moment, or not recruiting. Still, Fateful Watch and Temoins du Sud, I'll be networking with them. Anyways, thanks for the information, it should prove useful in the near future."

He took some time to digest the information.

"Speaking of the future, I take it I could help the congregation by working the faithful. Anything else I could provide for the community?"

The situation was still kinda new to him. Better to ask how he could provide.

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Really, it depends upon your cabal. An annoying answer, I know, but that's how the community is structured. That said, if you have an idea of something that you could do, then do it, but the Consilium is essentially just a conflict resolution treaty, whether that conflict is internal or external. We haven't really gotten to the whole, ya know, social services thing yet. Maybe once the Banishers are gone, except then we'll probably have other assholes trying to push into the power vacuum," Avis mused with a shrug.

He nodded in understanding and agreement, he'll have to be proactive.

"Very well then, I'll work up my clout in the religious groups. And maybe I'll be able to use them for good in the future. I'll check out the contact details you have given me or I'll pop up once another consilium meeting is organized. Let's go back to the banishers for a moment. Is there anything else I should know about them ? We've talked a little about the subject, but I am not sure how big this group really is. They seem pretty well organized from what you and arthur told me."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread