Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1508) Richard and Evangeline

THREADID

The latched it's far onto his shoulders at first nudging but soon feverishly yanking at him to turn around and flee from this lethal enemy, it was an act of will or perhaps greater self preservation that stopped, after all turning his back now could just as likely cause him to be ripped open without even seeing it coming. No matter how many court gatherings one attended there seemed to be no escaping the torment of inadequacy, a seeded desire to rid himself of that handicap is what ultimately motivated him to stay resolute. He grabs his potential enemy by the hand and smiles at her reassuringly, hoping that she chooses to play nice. "So, what brings you to The City of Trees?"

MaximumPosh

M
    MaximumPosh

"Oh, what takes Kindred anywhere, Richard?" she asked while letting go of his hand, "The promise of better opportunities, of course."

Evangeline wore her confidence plainly on her face - it was always so easy to address a social "peer" - especially after the tense task of dealing with her Priscus. "I have traveled a fair deal in recent years, but I am hoping to find somewhere to settle in more permanently." she admitted sincerely. Sincerity aside, she never missed an opportunity for self admiration, "Your City of Trees is quite lucky that I have deigned to grace its melancholy streets with my presence."

Though her interest was passive at best, she indulged Richard with enough social etiquette to return his questioning. "And what of you? Have you been in Sacramento long?"

Richards smile cracked, exposing in that instance a brief sign of uncertainty, by now he'd already given her his obligatory once over, she had it going on and apparently she knows it but still, her confidence made him want to find out if there was more to her than just a pretty face. "I can assure you that the streets are anything but. Though I'm sure that's something you will soon discover...if" he lets his eyes trail,"You decide to stick around, that is. As did I when I first settled here aboouuut, half a year ago or so. If I might ask, what is it that you offer the domain that it is so fortunate to have? "

M
    MaximumPosh

"Well, hopefully you're right about the streets here, otherwise it might be dreadfully boring." she chuckled. Of course, she would do her best to make her own entertainment once she settled in.

"Now Richard, a girl can't give away all of her secrets." Besides, she wasn't here to prove herself to him, but there was no doubt that he would be hearing her name around town soon enough. She would make sure of it. "Though I fully intend to make the First Estate in this fine domain proud." she said with a smirk.

"Tell me, how are you involved around the city?" Despite her apparent disinterest, she didn't want to pass up the chance to learn about local happenings.

This far into the conversation and still Richard can't tell if she is being coy or if she is really this poised for success, he would be keeping an ear to the ground for any signs of her impact on the city from here on. In that moment it dawned upon him to measure the effects of her presence, to study change and monitor its results was after all what he had sworn an oath to do. When she mentions her affiliation with the First Estate he considered what sort of initiatives he would have taken instead if he had continued down that path. Ultimately, at least for now, Richard was content with his choice.

"I don't have any official titles to speak of, rather I provide assistance when called upon,..." although most often indirectly,"to do so in service to the domain." Richard believed that it was everyone's civic responsibility to act with the domains best interest at heart, even after shifting through the political affiliations and ones own self interest. He says to her in a sly tone,"Perhaps the Order will provide a platform for a more finely carved niche here. Or maybe it wont. I have plenty of time to find out"

M
    MaximumPosh

"The Order?" she asked with a hint of surprise, "You serve the Secret Estate? I've known a few talented Kindred to emerge from their ranks, but those talents are usually better served elsewhere." Though Richard was being vague, she didn't feel particularly threatened by him. If his words rang true at all it seemed that he was likely to be an obedient lapdog in the domain. A fact that could be handy, one day.

"Whatever the case, I wish you well in your path. And even though I am a recent arrival, I applaud your support of the domain." she says, with a hint of levity in her voice.

The peak in her voice when she says 'The Order' gave him the feeling that she wasn't expecting to hear that from him, hell he would never have expected it of himself, "Somewhere else, such as the First Estate I'm guessing" Once again listening to Evangeline speak gives him the impression that she thinks quite highly of herself, in this particular case her ability to judge the merits of others and where their talents should be served. It didn't bother him at all though, in fact Richard was becoming rather eager to hear more from her, a glutton for punishment he was turning out to be.

"Why thank you, I would wish you good fortune as well, but something tells me you have no need for such things. I do however hope that you find this city to your liking, if you should ever find yourself in need of anything...well, I am sure you could find assistance else where. None the less you may feel free to call on me." he attempts to melt her ice with his smile, prodding her to see if there is any softness in her what so ever.

M
    MaximumPosh

From her experience, men so rarely changed. Even after death and embrace they often seemed to be motivated by the same instincts as before. Of course, Evangeline typically used this to her advantage. Richard was more than willing to serve her interests, apparently.

"Oh, I will certainly keep you in mind, Richard. Not all Kindred are as forthcoming as you," she said with a half-smile, "It's.. refreshing." Now would be as good a time as any to make her departure. It was important to leave the right lasting impression, which included making yourself available in small doses. She takes a step back, signalling her desire to break away.

"In the meantime, it is getting late and there is more mingling to do, unfortunately. I imagine we will see each other again, Richard. Take care." She hesitates only a moment to await his farewells before nodding and returning to the main area.

Closed Thread