Ended
Watch

Lemonade and Konrad

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Martha Villiers

PRE

All this was new and she was trying to weigh the insights and ideas on offer. Martha sighs and candidly replies;

"In truth, sir, I find the present Grand Wyrm a very difficult man to understand and read. I dare not offer any assessment about how he'd react to such an offer of exchange, sir. I don't doubt his reaction would be clever and intelligent... Just, I wouldn't like to, perhaps couldn't, predict what it might be..." she shrugs, bewildered.

David's heart was broken. That was clear. But what else had he lost along the way too?

Desperate to avoid talking about David and the Ordo from which she felt irretrievably divorced, she smiled and tried to encourage a different topic;

"Tell me, sir... Do you accept the suggestion that the Scooby Doo cartoons take place in a post-apocalyptic world struggling with the aftermath of profound economic and cultural collapse. Thereby explaining all the ghost-towns, the urban poverty and the remnant population of financially distressed former social elites driven to inexpert criminality. Criminality the Scooby Gang constantly frustrate..."
    Martha smiles, adjusting her spectacles and offering what might be, a friendly waggle of her peg leg.
    Health: 8 Willpower: 7 Vitae: Safari - -1 Striking Looks +2
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

I've Done Things... Bad Things.

Domain Status (Bloodhunted)
    Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

Konrad considers this, keeping his brief interactions with the mortician in mind as Martha conveys her impression of the Shadow Priscus. Konrad agrees that David is a bit hard to read. Rather, he hadn't sensed much of anything, save for that calm intellect. The only clue to his personality came from their interactions during the Seneschal's Meeting.

But Konrad knew how to deal with a man like that. After all the Movement had a woman who is fairly decent at reading people.

The next line of discussion snaps Konrad from his thoughts. "Huh? Scooby Doo? Well...you know, I never really gave it much thought. I just figured it wouldn't be much of a show if they didn't have some mystery to follow up on every episode. But that's an interesting theory. Everyone trying to scare people off of some property or other like," remarks Konrad, waiting to hear more on the subject.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Nodding, smiling, "Quite so, sir! All the museums are in decline. Ancient estates are left to rot under dust-sheets. All the tourist resorts are deserted and desperate for investment. Those with land feel threatened and will stoop to criminal behavior, behavior they are ill equipped to handle, to protect it or gain advantage over their rivals. Many social norms are absent. The crime is often some form of extortion or a scam often associated with more organized and professional criminal gangs. Counterfeiting, for example. Crimes far outside the usual expertise of the white-collar class to which many of the antagonists formerly belonged."

Martha nods.
    "Of course, the mendicant lifestyle of the Scooby Gang themselves suggests a society adrift in a metaphoric and practical sense. When societies are stressed they often resort to finding answers in the supernatural. One needs to only see examples of this with the witch-craze of 17th century Europe. The societies that first, and last, experienced their witch-hunts were typically remote settlements experiencing all manner of internal distress and external pressures... be it agricultural, with famine and crop failures; coupled with population stress from refugees and the ever present threat of religious war and the endless persecutions that follow..."

She nods, playing with one of her twin tails as she speaks,
    "With that example in mind, one can see how easy it would be to encourage an idea of ghosts and goblins inflicting their crimes in an area to harass the locals. It takes the rational outsider to restore a status quo. In much the same way that many narratives in stories set in the Old West resolve..." she briefly and playfully mimes unholstering two six-shooters... Looking to Konrad for his take on things.
    Very English accent. Flaw: Limps badly - most of her left leg is missing. Eidetic Memory, Combat Aware'. Danger Sense. Trained Observer

4. Likes Violet liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

Listening to Martha is almost akin to reading a book. The sheer amount of words and concepts being flung at Konrad are somewhat hard to keep up with. Key words stick out in his mind: 'extortion', 'gangs', 'counterfeiting', which bring to mind his old coterie and the various scams they took part in.

Eventually Konrad falls back on the age old tactic of smiling and nodding to confirm he is listening while understanding little.

He does his best to sum up the vast amount of detail in his reply. "So, a war-torn country and local superstitions, eh? I guess even today everyone looks for someone to blame for everyday problems. Government usually. So when regular Kine take matters into their own hands it ends up being criminal. Hell, isn't the Kine government in the pocket of corporate crooks anyways? Either way people are either scrounging for answers or trying to get a bigger piece of the pie."

"But then again we're not living in a war-torn post apocalyptic world," he adds, suppressing a chuckle at her imagined six-shooters. "So why the sudden interest? You looking to solve any mysteries yourself? I've got a van if you're in need of a Mystery Machine." The suggestion is jovial, half-hearted in its fabrication, but one never knows with a quirky woman like Martha.

Martha Villiers

PRE

"Ah! Well, governments have simply replaced gods. They share many of the same attributes - supposed omniscience, ephemeral while able to dispense mandatory edicts to create or dispell a taboo; call upon endless and lethal resources; capricious in bestowing favors, while showing preferential favor to a privileged elite who are equally enigmatic, sometimes even dangerous, in their motives... To all intents and purposes, to those beneath their sway, gods and governments are practically interchangeable..." she nodded happily, smiling as she suddenly saw fresh angles to explore thanks to Konrad's reply, "but, you see, we are living in a war torn society."

"In many ways we are still dealing with the aftermath of the Second War..." she takes off her spectacles to clean them with the hem of her gymslip, revealing a small amount of stocking top before replacing her gymslip and spectacles, she quietly adds, "even the Vietnam War was really part of a spectrum of war and conflict borne from the Second War..." she was about to launch into a more detailed account of the causes of the Vietnam War but actually bit her bottom lip to resist the temptation.

Satisfying herself with rubbing at her peg leg and giggling warmly at Konrad's suggestion and opportunity to turn things to a less dark and sinister turn of mind;

"Quite so, sir!" her peg leg waggles, "I am actually always keen to solve a mystery!" she giggles cheerily, "Who could resist the lure of locating the lost city of Zed... or solving the riddle of the audacious DB Cooper! Which mystery would you travel in a small van to try to solve, sir?" her eyes bright as her mind is filled with thoughts of lost treasures, ancient mysteries and Velma dressed as Daphne...

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

The mention of the Vietnam war brings a brief sour expression across Konrad's features. Fortunately she doesn't pursue the topic.

He tries to renew his smile as he responds. "Well, any of those things in Sacramento? Cause I'm not quite ready to go cross country, with things as they are in this town. But then, that's pretty mysterious in and of itself. But if you hear of anything, just say the word and I'll bring the Mystery Machine around."

Konrad begins to stand from his comfortable perch on the couch. "But we'll have to save that for another time. I think you and I both got a lot on our plates. You'll keep me in the loop, won't 'cha?" he asks, giving an indication that he intends to leave her company.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha blinks. Konrad's sudden signal of imminent departure makes her re-evaluate...

...Note to self: avowed criminals may rarely be interested in conversing about the possible underlying metaphysics and sociology of Scooby Doo...

Martha nods sadly. Clearly sorry to see Konrad go.
    "Quite so, sir... Quite so. I shall be diligent in keeping you informed, sir." smiling sweetly, she adds, "I did enjoy our meeting, sir! Most useful. I am grateful for your time and indulgences and I look forward to our next encounter!"

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"Hey, same here. Anytime," answers Konrad, making his way idly to the doorway. He lingers there, considering something before giving a glance back to Martha.

Finally he says, "How do you feel Katya is doing at holding the Seneschal position? I remember you held it back when I first arrived a year ago. Does she wear it well?" He asks it like an afterthought, though one can only guess what brings it to mind.

Martha Villiers

PRE

Martha smiles. Fascinated by the question, she chirps a happy and sincere reply; "I have seen nothing which would lead me to assess His Majesty made an incorrect decision in raising Katya to the Office of Seneschal. The Seneschal is attentive to advice and, from my exposure to her so far, seems diligent and keen to execute her duties to the best of her capacity." pausing, rubbing at her peg leg, Martha smiles.

But, suddenly worried about Erika's deep reach, she's prompted to ask;
    "Why, sir? Do you know something about the Seneschal that I do not...?"

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Konrad shrugs as she turns his question on him. "Nah, I'm just planning on meeting with the Seneschal soon. She seems like the type to appreciate feedback so I thought I'd ask someone familiar with the position. If Tracy were still around I know I'd want her advice on Clan management. Just a thought."

Konrad should be turning to leave, but instead takes a step back into the room towards Martha. "You know, I had something else on my mind too. Just a little thing. Have you ever come across anything like mind control before? How some Kindred use it to ensnare the minds of their prey before feeding?" Of course he'd heard of it, but he'd never had an instance to investigate the details. Might as well ask someone more learned about it. The topic change might be seen as a jarring contrast to his previous one.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread