Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(1508) Evangeline and the Josephine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

PRE

"Sister Josephine, if you please. Unless you hail from the blood of a Lord or Lady, then it is Priscus Josephine, or Priscus Sterling. I do prefer the former, but I understand that some of the First Estate are prudish when it comes to using given names. A shame. Literally," she commented with a smile. "And it is a pleasure to meet you Evangeline. That is, of course, unless you prefer Miss Graham?"

M
    MaximumPosh

What luck, though not exactly the good kind. Evangeline had planned to bump into the Ventrue Priscus tonight, but had hoped she could introduce herself properly. She could recover, of course, but it left her flustered for just a short moment. "Priscus Josephine, then. It is an honor to be in your company, I assure you." she says, subconsciously attempting to make herself even the slightest bit less predatory.

"I am indeed of Ventrue blood, and initiated - once upon a time - into the First Estate, but Evangeline is fine if you prefer it." she explains politely, with a confident smile returning. "If I may be so bold, I am glad to have run into you. It was certainly on my agenda for this evening."

PRE

"I would certainly call you fortunate for having met me this evening," Josephine replied with perfect assurance. "Otherwise, you see, I would be unable to acknowledge you. But, before we come to that stage of the conversation, answer something for me, Evangeline. You said that you had, once upon a time, been initiated into the First Estate. This implies to me that you are Invictus no longer. What, then, might you be, and where do you hail from?"

M
    MaximumPosh

"I apologize, my Priscus, for the misunderstanding but I still consider myself a member of the Estate. It is just that I have yet to form any ties with the Invictus here in Sacramento." Evangeline explains, shifting her weight and smiling confidently. "As for my origins, I was embraced and spent my first years in Atlanta, Georgia. The nightlife there was fulfilling, but it became a little... crowded. Few opportunities, you understand."

PRE

"I believe there might be fewer opportunities here than you might imagine," Josephine replied coolly. "Things might appear to be simpler here than in relation to a thriving metropolis, but that simplification only leads to a social amplification of importance. Of course, by that same token, every Kindred content with inaction only amplifies the disastrous effects of stagnation, so I would counsel courage for your aspirations. As for your Covenant, I would speak with Juan Cordoba or Archon Twist with haste. There is also Madame Knight Rina Yui, but you might as well speak to a brick wall as speak with her." A brief scoff punctuated the sentiment.

"Before you have leave to do so, however, tell me, what are your thoughts upon the devil?"

M
    MaximumPosh

Evangeline took a moment to do her best committing the names of the local Invictus to memory, she would be sure to impress upon each and every one of them when the opportunity arose. As endearing as it was for the local Priscus to encourage her - however so subtly - Evangeline did not need the empathy or well wishing of other kindred, for she was destined for greatness, she knew. Then, she was interrupted from her self-idolatry by a quaint question. One that she had not even considered since her days as one of the unfortunate kine.

It takes but a moment for the apathetic response to come, "I can not say I believe there is such a thing, my Priscus, aside from the Kindred themselves, when we choose to be."

The Sanctified's black painted lips curled, though not into a frown.

"So your eyes only perceive the dance of atoms in commerce and the phantom distributions of social power. What a startling dead world that must be, and how privileged you must feel to no longer feel the pull of entropy tearing at it. Tell me, Evangeline, have you ever awoken to a moment in time when you all that matter around you, that printed cloth in your wallet, the spun bits of plant matter over you body, the shambling contraptions of carefully constructed meat machines, they all just amount to an absurd realm deprived of essence and purpose? Or do your fantasies inure you to the pull of meaninglessness?"

M
    MaximumPosh

Evangeline did not expect to debate philosophy tonight, nor did she have much desire to, but oh, how some Kindred were capable of rambling on and on about their own personal interpretations of their shared condition. Such talk held little interest for her, but she would humor her Priscus for social etiquette at the very least.

"I would say that all things in life.. or lack thereof, only have the meaning which we so graciously assign them. Money? Clothing? On their own they are simply tools, but in reality, in society they are the signs which alert us to those who are our betters. Even if the race we run is one of our own design, of our own making, it certainly doesn't make it meaningless." Evangeline answered the Priscus, while nodding to herself for emphasis.

"So to answer your question more directly; No. I have never awoken to such a moment."

PRE

"Some day," Josephine replied calmly, "you shall. Perhaps upon the evening when your consciousness begins to flicker and your skin begins to curl into ash. But, until that evening comes, enjoy your race. There are many who run it with you. The Prince, I believe, has been placing in first for the last few decades or so, but perhaps your content with second. Or fifth."

A derisively casual shrug dismissed that train of thought and a mock smile was directed toward Evangeline.

"Allow me to officially grant you acknowledgement. Familiarize yourself with the Laws which you shall find posted off yonder. If you break them then you shall be punished. If you do not, then you shall not be. Simple, perhaps, but no less important for that fact. I wish you luck, Ms. Graham."

10. Likes Violet liked this post
    M
    MaximumPosh

"Perhaps that day will indeed come, but until then I shall continue to do what Lords and Ladies do best." Evangeline said with a devious smirk. "In the meantime, Priscus Josephine, you have my sincerest thanks for your time and it was a pleasure to meet you. Consider me at your disposal until I have repaid the favor, should you have need."

Prostrating herself - even metaphorically - always left a bad taste in her mouth, but she knew it was important to toe the line when it came to Kindred, especially those of her own blood. Evangeline took a polite step back, not quite breaking her attention or eye contact, and awaited a sign that she was dismissed before she would depart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread