Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Breaking bread among Devils

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Richelieu had given ample information to find the place to Avis. It was a little restaurant that did European cuisine, Spanish and French mostly. There were a few tables that offered a little bit of privacy, which should be enough both to have a discreet conversation but being in public at the same time. The menu offered various choice, from a simple 'charcuterie plate' and 'salades', to a full three course meal. The drink page was full of the usual with the addition of many imported teas from fair trade, Oxfam and the like.

In the message sent to avis, the table was reserved under the 'blackwell' name. Richelieu arrived first and was reading a book, whose title read 'Richelieu, the rise of France', in wait for the Mastigos leader ...

Spells actives

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

Normally, Avis didn't walk around with spells on. Sure, it wasn't necessarily the safest option, but neither was making yourself a target, and in a city populated by nebulous ranks of Banishers, going unobserved was often better than walking around in magical tactical gear. Besides, this way she could still feel out whatever magic might be in the area, as long as she didn't allow herself to become too distracted.

Of course, there were times when Sight and Shield was more than necessary, and meeting two entirely unknown Mastigos definitely counted as one of those situations. So, in she walked, wreathed in the illuminating and protective energies of pandemonium, and strode over to Richelieu's table.

She sat without waiting for a response.

"There's been a slight change of plans. We got another new neighbor, so I invited him to meet us today. I'm sorry for the lack of notice, but time isn't always on our side, ya know? Oh, and I'm Avis' by the way. I'm assuming your...role model is a historical figure," she hazarded, gesturing to the book.

Sight and Shield, 2 successes, mental shield, 3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-08-19 17:26:47 Avis! rolls 7 to MENTAL SHIIIIEEEEELLLLDDDDD!!!!! (Mind4+gnos 3) (10 Again) 3, 6, 1, 3, 3, 3, 10, 10, 8 3 successes
    2015-08-19 17:24:15 Avis! rolls 4 to MIND sight, SPAAAACE Shield 2,0 (space4+gnos3-2comb-1again) (10 Again) 9, 4, 10, 3, 4 2 successes
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

M
    Macabreengel

Shield 6, Sight 1
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-08-19 18:37:40 Bahlam rolls 8 to cast Supernal Vision (Wits+Occult+Prime+HS-Retry) (10 Again) 3, 8, 7, 5, 1, 2, 6, 6 1 success
    2015-08-19 18:37:12 Bahlam rolls 1 to cast Supernal Vision (Wits+Occult+Prime+HS) (10 Again) 7 failure
    2015-08-19 18:37:02 Bahlam rolls 9 to cast Misperception (Manip+Stealth+Mind+OS+HS) (10 Again) 10, 6, 5, 4, 8, 8, 9, 10, 5, 10, 1, 7 6 successes

As if on cue, a twenty something Hispanic man walked into the restaurant dressed in jeans and a tee. Giving the room a once over, his sight picked up the distinct signs of power from the odd couple.

"Avis?" he asked the woman as he stood trying to decide which stranger to sit awkwardly close to at the small table set two to a side. Then to both of them he said, "I'm Bahlam," before sitting next to Richeliau.

"And the name's Richelieu, welcome among us Bahlam." He offered a handshake to both demons and then mentioned the waiter to dress up another plate for the newcomer than adressed the mastigos leader.

"Don't worry about that Avis. Besides, I'd welcome the opportunity to chat up with another neighbor. But I digress, you summoned the both of us and the tone you used on the phone indicated it was a serious matter. What is it you wanted to talk about?"

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

For a moment, Avis studied Richelieu's hand, but eventually she took it into her own and gave the prerequisite shake before offering the same to Bahlam. Social ritual completed, she settled back into her chair and pulled a folded piece of paper from her pocket. With idle gestures, she began to flatten it on the table and then refold it into a different shape.

"Interesting way to describe the meeting, Richelieu. I think it's only fair to say that I 'summoned' Bahlam. You, if memory serves," she said, a wry smile appearing, "were the one that arranged the nice and public meeting with me. You're not trying to get out of paying the bill, are you?"

She paused her folding, studying the man across from her for a moment before smirking at her joke and then shrugging.

"Either way, I do have something to speak with you both about. Since we're all going to be neighbors, and part of the same community association, it's fitting that I offer one of you the job of assisting me in representing our neighborhood. It's not something that would require a lot of work, but it would be an enormous responsibility. Before I extend that offer to one of you, however, why don't you both tell me more about yourselves? Oh, and before I forget to mention it, yes, whether or not I have to pay for my food will eventually be considered."

Challenge laid, opportunity given, Avis left the half finished origami shape on the table and observed the two men across from her.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

M
    Macabreengel

Juan observed his two fellows as they discussed who had called for this little meeting. Richelieu seemed the more straightforward and serious of the two. Despite knowing that Avis was the senior Mastigos, he gave off the air of being in charge. Avis on the other hand seemed very relaxed for meeting two strange mages. Either very confident or very powerful, or both. The teasing amused Juan, especially with how serious Richelieu was.

Bahlam wanted the opportunity, so he spoke up quickly. "Politically, I share an affiliation with Star and July," he explained. "I have very recently arrived from LA, where I grew up and went to college. I work in digital design, which allows me to work from home and has flexible hours. As you now, that can be very important when you have a... second career." Then with a grin, he added' "Also, I wanted to thank you, Richelieu for calling this meeting and picking up the tab."

"Well it's true I organized the meeting and selected the place, the presence of an additional neighbor is just a unexpected surprise provided by you, Avis. Anyways, technicalities. "

He then turned towards Bahlam with an amused smile.

"Love thy neighbor said the lord. As a former man of the cloth and because of my affiliations, I will of course render assistance to one of my less fortunate brethren. As for you Avis, I already intended to pick up the tab, it allowed me to choose the place. I'll leave you two to wonder what advantages I can derive from that. Besides it's marvelous cuisine for such a discreet place."

He then looked at both Mastigos with intensity and inquisitiveness, remaining seemingly unfazed by the attempt of the younger devils to sick the tab on him.

"Well, seeing as you both seem extremely hungry, might I suggest the pancha buffet? It is kind of the Spanish equivalent of a barbecue though they use a different and specific tool to cook the meat. They serve it with vegetables as well. This will allow each of us to as much or as little as we want. I suspect the former in both your cases. Which is understandable, you need to keep those robust and youthful bodies going."

He ordered the said menu to the waiter and something to drink.

"You mentioned a wish to avoid alcohol Avis, so I've taken the liberty to order Rooibos. It's commonly called 'Red tea' but it's not caffeinated. Besides it tastes good."

While the restaurant staff went to prepare their meal, Richelieu turned back towards Avis to give her the information she required.

"To answer your question, and as I've mentioned before, I was a man of the cloth and, since then, have climbed the first rung of the ladder. My former life left me with some means and skills in manipulating the masses with speeches, socializing with people of power and the like. I am currently in the process of leveraging my abilities to gather some local influence but these things take time.

I have been trained in the arts in San jose by a man named Ignatius and was initiated in the ladder there. My old mentor believes in hand on experience and thought Sacramento would be just the perfect place for this."

Richelieu paused for a moment as the waiter mentioned the first batch of food was ready.

"Before we all get befuddled by the food, could you tell us more about the great responsibility this job would entail? It would help impress on the both us what kind of skill and personality is required for the post."

Avis
    Avis

Merits

PRE

"Didn't Crowley give y'all a look at the community charter?" Avis asked with a small frown, looking between the two Warlocks across from her.

"Well, if not, I'll get you a copy later today. It's not going to tell you that much, really. Basically, you have to help keep me informed, pass messages, and fill in if I'm ever unable to make a meeting. That kind of thing. Like I said, not a lot of work, but what bit there is carries a lot of wait for our community. Thing is, y'all will have to get settled before I can officially give you the job. Either of you spoken with any of the sub-committees yet? Maybe the Southern Committee, or the Watch Committee?"
    she suggested.

"I suppose you could also start your own committee, if you can find a third member."

Which, could be a good idea. It never hurt to have more autonomous groups, though there was definitely a strength in numbers. Avis had already been through the rodeo of trying to build a cabal back up after a trusted member had left, and that wasn't a headache she wished on anyone else...Except maybe Tyria.

"Oh, and yes, thanks for the food, Richelieu."

M
    Macabreengel

An amused smirk crossed Juan's lips, "No, no he did not." It seemed Crowley had missed a couple of things.

"I talked to Miach just recently. I think things went pretty well. Sounds like he is going to try and put something together where I can meet the rest of the gang and vice versa. Crowley seemed a bit put off by my political orientation and July didn't bite when I hinted I was looking. And it's my understanding that the fourth sub-committee probably isn't looking for any new members, at least not any as junior as myself." He punctuated his comments with a shrug.

This Richelieu was an odd character. That he was a member of the Silver Ladder was not a surprise, to say the least. He liked that Avis was just rolling with it so far.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread