Ended
Watch

It's Only Rock n' Roll

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Man, this was a bust.

Maybe he hadn't tried hard enough. But walking awkwardly throughout the studio, steps heavy on the wooden floor, with the utmost silence all around him, in a world so alien to him it made him want to withdraw to a dark corner until everyone was gone... it wasn't his idea of a good time. Why couldn't the girl have worked at a strip club? Or a bar, or a cabin in the woods, or right on top of the Rockies, or anywhere that made him feel more welcome than this place. Only an elusive sense of duty kept him from running off, for now. He didn't know for how much longer he would be able to hold onto it.

He sat down on the floor and lowered his head. One hand was on his neck and the other was holding the feather pendant hanging from it. He wore simple jeans, running shoes, and a grey t-shirt, so the pendant was the only thing remotely remarkable that a mortal could appreciate other than his scars. He worked on his breathing, trying to make it as even as possible. Inhale. Hold. Exhale. He had never been good at this yoga crap. Sarah got him into it. She could be really New Age-y when she cared to. It always seemed to come naturally to her, but he had never gotten the hang of it, much to her frustration. He tried to focus on the feather. His eyes were closed, but he pictured it in its head, in all its black and white detail.

Under his breath he recited the story. He knew it so well, almost by heart. What bits and pieces he had forgotten he could fill in on his own. It had a calming effect on him, gave him a sense of purpose, which in turn gave him a better hold over himself. All of his sorrows seemed to come from his losing control. He didn't fear much, but he feared that more than he would dare to admit.

He was too absorbed to notice or care about anyone watching him.

S
    Sasha

It was a typical evening after rehearsal. The clamoring of young girls and boys from recital, adults having lessons and other dancer’s there for their own practice. L’aire had been working privately with a couple. Unfortunately, or, as usual, she was flying solo through this task. Assuming both roles for dance partners as she coached them on steps and moves.

It was doubly draining considering they had four left feet. They walked out ahead of her and the Fairest wished them a good evening. She was about to hit the locker room when she saw the Autumn, on the floor, in some sort of seated fetal position, playing with his necklace.

L’aire was floored, needless to say. She stood there a moment before walking toward him. There was no way she could sneak up on the Ask-wee-da-eed considering her ballroom shoes clicked beautifully against the wooden floor of the studio and the practice dress swayed as she moved.

So now he’s trolling the studio. What the hell is it with this guy.

She walked a little closer, but not in arms reach in case he had other plans that evening. “Um, Nathan? Are you… uh here for lessons?” If the Hunterheart was, he was either late or chickened out.

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

He heard the steps on the wooden floor, but didn't look up. He just couldn't stop now. It wasn't until he heard that voice that his eyes shot up from the floor to the Fairest's face. He stared at her, seemingly shocked. He didn't move at all. For a moment he didn't look like he had understood her question. Then he got up, slowly, dazed, and so uncertainly that he almost fell down. The clean white light had blinded him, and he had to blink several times to clear his vision properly.

"Lessons. Yes. I mean no. Don't think I have enough money for..." he shook his head. "I-I came only for... I didn't mean to... I was only asking for, ah, this guy. There's a girl who I think used to work here, and I thought maybe somebody had seen..."

You want to go to a dance studio? Incredulity was painted all over that question. He had an excuse now, however. And no matter how much he stressed to himself that it was an obligation, that little voice on the back of his head, the devil on his shoulder (who, and maybe this was just his imagination, seemed to have an annoying Cockney accent), kept laughing, and whispering, and mocking. You want to go to a dance studio?

"You... you doing alright?"

S
    Sasha

L’aire didn’t feel as awkward as she normally did. In fact, the Studio was a ‘safe’ place for her. She felt confident and not easily caught off guard. Which seemed quite the opposite for the Hunterheart, like the tables were turned. Her violets followed him as he rose from his seat against the wall.

The Dancer’s eyes squinted when he changed from ‘this guy’ to ‘a girl’ but maybe the setting was throwing Nathan off. “What’s the girl’s name?” The Fairest inquired. Maybe she knew her, the place had many instructors but it was like a small odd family.

Shrugging, the Fairest said in a slight melancholy manner. “I’m, okay, I guess. Terri had to leave town again.” But at least she said goodbye or left a quick note.

“So, how are you? Do you want to go sit in one of the studio rooms for a bit?” She didn’t want to stay in the lobby and she had keys to lock up the back door when she left, as most of them did after a lengthy employment.

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Uh, Kate," he answered, still looking uncomfortable. "I'm actually not sure if she works here or just... Her friend only told me she came here sometimes. You wouldn't have seen her in a while, though. She's, ah, missing."

He didn't want to lay it all on the table right away. It disturbed him, and he doubted he was the only one who found the situation unsettling. He shuffled awkwardly when she mentioned Terri was gone. She looked sort of... sad? He almost put a hand on her shoulder but controlled himself just in time. He doubted the gesture would be welcomed.

"I... heard. It's really... I..."

Why did he feel so uncomfortable? He seemed utterly unable to formulate a coherent sentence, and it frustrated him to no end.

"It won't be the same. Hope she comes back," he couldn't think of anything else to say. He considered her offer for a moment. "That... would be nice. If you don't mind. Do you mind?"

He left her other question unanswered.

S
    Sasha

L’aire’s head moved forward in a searching manner. “Kate…. What?” Still a little confused. “Well, I was only gone from here a year and worked here for two prior to that. Was she in the area?” The Fairest wondered if she was one of them or not.

It seemed the tables were turned from other encounters. Now, Nathan was the one awkward and not knowing what to say. Did he truly understand how she felt yet?

She could only nod when the Hunterheart tried to give her the same hope the Fairest was giving herself. “I hope she does too. Especially for Rick’s sake.” Rick wouldn’t exactly be alone, L’aire would be there for him. But, it really wouldn’t be the same, more than Nathan would know.

The Dancer noticed he didn’t answer. Pivoting, she turned to begin walking back down the hallway. “Follow me.”

Opening a door at the end of the hall, L’aire walked into a room full of mirrors, ballet bars, a stereo system and a few chairs along the walls of the room. This was her comfort zone, just as much a her own Hollow. Pulling two of the armed chairs that were padded out from the wall to face each other at a forty-five degree angle, she offered one to him. “Please feel free to sit.” As she sat in one of them herself.

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

So stupid. That's certainly how he felt.

"Evans, I think. Yeah, Evans. Sorry, I'm not making a lot of sense today. I know, sorry. Again," he shook his head and it was all he could do not to let out a sigh. "I... don't know. It doesn't really matter. It's not her I'm looking for. I mean, I am, but..."

Now he did sigh. Better to cut straight to the chase.

"Have you ever seen a redheaded Brit hanging around here?"

And there, lo and behold, his crappy excuse. Even if she said yes, he didn't think it would be groundbreaking information. And he doubted stalkers hung around dance studios just hoping... Oh, no. Don't go there. Much too uncomfortable, was it? Those were thoughts he was happy to lock away in the Dreamlands never to see the light. He followed her without a word. He wished desperately he could stop acting like he was back in high school. Her request sounded strange to him, though he couldn't quite pin down why. It was almost too formal, he supposed. He sat anyway.

"So this is where you work," he looked around. "You must really love it. Dancing, I mean. Did you ever..." he hesitated for a moment. "Did you ever think of doing anything else?"

S
    Sasha

She didn’t want to press the issue further. The two of them were barely on terms of speaking as it was. Of course she remembered he apologized, and L’aire was settled on that. Still, she felt the eggshells.

L’aire slowly nodded, looked up and to the mirrors. “Yup, this is it. Not really ‘work’, since I enjoy it.”

“So yeah, I do love it.” Pausing a while in an attempt to think back on a time she wanted something different.

“Anything else? Well, not really. I’ve been doing this since I was walking. Well, not this, but dancing in general.”

“There was a time I thought something would change…” The Fairest trailed off slightly, envisioning another standing in the doorway watching her with the kids while she taught them how to make dancing butterflies. “but that didn’t happen.”

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

"It does sound like it would be too fun to be considered work, yeah," he smiled.

He nodded at her answer. He remembered her dancing during Valentine's Day. It had been quite the display, the kind of thing you don't see everyday and the kind of thing you're only capable of after a lifetime of intense practice. He kind of envied her that, that passion and dedication. He had never been able to stay put for long. Maybe there was something to her quietness, her stillness, that he had underestimated when they first met.

"I... understand," he felt the ground beneath him had grown a bit more solid, enough that he could keep talking. "I always thought I'd be a soldier. Family business and all that. That didn't happen, and truth be told I'm not sure how I feel about it. The... guy, who supplanted me when I couldn't be shipped off overseas? He got blown to bits. Sometimes I think that might have been preferable, y'know? A heroic death..."

He chuckled, though he didn't think it was funny at all.

"When I got here you asked me if I was here for lessons," he grinned again, though he felt like he might vomit his heart out at any time. "Let's say I was. What would you teach me?"

OOC

S
    Sasha

As Nathan explained some of his past, L’aire’s face grew slightly dismayed at his attitude toward everything. Of course, there was a time that she wouldn’t have cared if she had died, but even John vanishing, Terri leaving, and now Kyle, she felt there was more she needed to do still. Someone, somewhere was at least a time to look forward to.

Still, the Fairest couldn’t shake what the Autumn said at the end. “So, you... want to die?” For someone who seemed like the cock of the walk one day, it was surprising news. Also, quite dangerous if for some reason something major happened while the Onyx was around.

“Well, I teach many things. Many types ranging from hip-hop, if you can believe it, to more difficult things. But, if you’ve never done it before we’d start out with the types that are base steps to bigger things. So, I guess it depends if you want to solo dance or partner dance.” Her hand lifted off her lap toward him, unsure what direction Nathan wanted to go. L’aire didn’t think he was really serious anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread