(-1 Vitae in Requiem for Blush)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

- 1 Vitae for Blush of Life in Requiem Subforum

(Summer Cleansing)Open Scene Spent
    PRE

An open scene at the Circle of the Crone Farm. Just tagging those who might be interested sumthingpositiv , Tomas Warren voivode

Don't stop, thinking about tomorrow.
    Don't stop, it'll soon be here.

Fleetwood Mac's music can be heard outside, coming from a normally quiet farm. The doors are all opened, dust and smoke leaves the farm from all different corners. The Hierophant is cleaning this place, on one of the shortest nights of the year. While doing so, he's also clearing his mind. He must stay positive, even while the nights are short. Tomorrow will soon be here, and the next night will already be longer.

He's always the optimist.

Bowls with different kinds of burning herbs are placed outside, and inside all spots with incense are used. After recent experiences with ghosts, revenants and mummies and whatnot, the farm needs a spiritual cleansing as much as a mundane one. So yes, tonight, the pagans are seen with broomsticks. The Hierophant cannot fly with it though, yet.

Minutes ago he received a text, apparently a new Acolyte has arrived in Sacramento. Perhaps someone interested to take Dirge's place at the greenhouses? The Mekhet wishes he could have learned more from her, but there was no time.

Ah well. Don't you look back. Don't you look back. The Dark House still stands, and that is what matters most.

Chris, except that he's not wearing any shoes
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    v
    voivode

Some time later, Martel pulled up in his rental car, a black Lincoln. The GPS had turned him around precisely three times. Expecting this turn of events, Martel had given himself an hour leeway to find the place, though Heirophant Wooding had not given a precise time to appear. Only when he got out of the car and smelled the familiar pungency of burning herbs was he certain that he was in the right place.

Blue jeans, sneakers, and a red, button up shirt: not his normal attire, but the Heirophant had said "farm" and that meant dirt, and pollen, and animal dung: no environment for jacket and tie. There was, however, nothing to be done about his unnatural mien. Martel wondered if the Heirophant would expect a Nosferatu to be the new Acolyte, and how he would react to one suddenly appearing in his rocky driveway, but there was nothing to be done about that either; Martel was what he was.

Walking up to the farmhouse, he spied the man. He assumed nothing: this could as easily be another Acolyte. Or it could be the Heirophant himself. Best to make a good first impression either way.

"Bonsoir," said Martel, noting the broom in the man's hand. "Do you have a spare broom?"

Maintaining a circle was hard work, and Martel knew that a prospective Acolyte must pitch in wherever possible.

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

With the music on, and his mind elsewhere, Chris is slightly startled when another Beast suddenly appears in the farm. And what a Beast it is. Weak, and smelling like the dirt he could easily disappear in. An urge rises to break the broom in his hand and drive a sharp edge through the Nosferatu's heart.

'Hello...' Chris says while looking up and regaining his composure. His Beast is easily kept in the cage in this peaceful atmosphere. So he manages to smile, 'Don't worry about it, there's no work duty for new arrivals.'

The Hierophant puts the broom aside somewhere before he approaches Martel. He extends his hand to greet the man, 'You must be Martel Giles, please be welcome. I am Hierophant Chris Wooding. I hope you had no trouble finding the place?' The area is quite remote.

Moments later he turns around in direction of the living room, 'Let me turn the music down a bit.'
    Presence •• (Easy Going) | Striking Looks •• (Boy Next Door) | Mask of Tranquility | CotC ••• | Domain ••• | Mekhet ••

v
    voivode

Martel shook the man's hand. In light of the flaring of the Heirophant's Beast, the gesture regressed into its ancestor from Martel's perspective: Look, I have no weapons. I will not harm. Please do not attack.
    And then the moment passed, and the handshake was no longer a primitive one, but a civilized relic of a savage past.

"Not too low, I hope..." said Martel. "I like this song."

Martel had learned his English at Academy, but perfected it through watching American TV and through listening to American pop music. Thereby, he had become a self-proclaimed connoisseur of Motown music, but classic rock also held a special place in his heart.

"As you have guessed, I am Martel Giles. Pleasure to meet you Heirophant Wooding."

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

Chris has the Mask of Tranquility So you don't feel his Beast

Chris looks over his shoulder back to Martel, 'Really? Good. It's great music. I particularly like the message of this song. For me it says that one should be optimistic, for there will be a tomorrow, where things can be better. But it also urges people to think about the consequences their actions might have, and think about the tomorrow that we want.'

He looks around the room, filled with mostly wooden furniture. 'Shall we sit?' Chris pulls back two chairs at at the corner of a large table. Unless Martel truly wishes to continue cleaning, they might as well sit while having a conversation.

'Can I assume that, since you have my number, you have already been acknowledged at Court?'

v
    voivode

Martel smiled at Chris' philosophy. Martel himself had had little enough cause for optimism, yet, as he reflected on his experiences since arriving in Sacramento, he thought, perhaps, that was changing.

He sat across from Chris, and folded his hands in his lap. He felt the absence of his cane keenly. He had left it at his haven, thinking it might be perceived as rude to bring a weapon to meet with the Heirophant.

"Indeed," said Martel. "I met with Priscus Ducard at Court and she Acknowledged me and gave me your contact information. I have come to Sacramento seeking other students of the arts arcane. It is my goal to advance my studies inasmuch as I am able while I am here."

No need to belabor the obvious, Martel reasoned. Chris seemed like an intelligent fellow. He could piece together certain facts, Martel felt sure. Martel's accent gave him away as a French national. His odor and disquieting aura gave away the nature of his blood and the curse laid thereon. Very probably, the Heirophant possessed gifts beyond Martel's experience that would tell him more than Martel himself could articulate. All that really remained was to present himself to the Heirophant as he was, allow him to make his own judgments about his character and intentions, and to see what kind of mutually beneficial arrangement they could come to.
    With nothing further to add, Martel paused to let Chris steer the conversation wherever he so desired. His expression said Here I am. Ask me anything.

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

'Very well.' A relief perhaps. The system still works, Chris just missed one Court, hopefully not too big a deal.

'It is good that you have a clear goal in mind. Now I don't want to sound too cliche, but to reach a destination, you must first choose and walk a certain path.' Since Martel was in a more responsive mood, Chris said this random thing to meanwhile think.

'With arts arcane, do you particularly mean Cruac? Or anything else? For in Sacramento the Circle has grown towards the faction called the Second Descent. If anything, our purpose is to find hidden truths. So let me be one fellow student then. However, in more ways then one, I can of course also be a teacher.'

As Hierophant, he has some experience, fortunately. Now the follow-up question, 'Are you familiar with the faction?'

v
    voivode

"I do mean Cruac. I do not know of any other arcane arts."

Not any other real ones at any rate. He remembered the foolish mortals who thought they knew real magic, how foolish he himself had been. But, on the night of his Embrace, such things he had seen! It had been a revelation.

He remembered something. "I do not mean the so-called 'miracles' of the Lance, if that is what you mean. And I have never heard of this 'Second Descent'. Is this the path that you propose I walk?"

Mask of Tranquility
    SL •• (Handsome)
    Domain ••• (Reeve)
    Circle ••• (Hierophant)
    Mekhet •• (Recognized)
    Chris Wooding

Mask of Tranquility
    Mekhet
    Circle of the Crone

PRE

The Hierophant smiles, perhaps somewhat ominously. 'Cruac it is then. I can definitely help you with exploring the rituals of the Crone.'

It is not like I can practice the other "arcane arts" that I know exist.

'Yes it is a certain path that I walk. Seneschal Katya Harding is also part of this faction. You don't have to embrace our ideals, if only accept them. The Second Descent feels a strong connection to underworld related mythology. Kindred have stepped away from humanity, and in this Descent we have evolved. In this state of undead we can discover the hidden truths of the world, some of which include Cruac, yes.'

'It is a way of making sense of what we are, and what our purpose is here. I can tell you more now, but when I organize the next seasonal gathering you will also learn much more. There hasn't been one in quite some time... but we've been with a low numbers of Acolytes in our Circle lately.'

v
    voivode

Martel leaned back thoughtfully.

"Ah, yes. I think I see. The Crone as the Dark Mother? As Kali. As the Morrigan. Consider me ... intrigued. I will be most interested to attend this gathering."

"You say our numbers are low. I do not consider this to be a negative necessarily. In my experience, although having many celebrants can heighten the atmosphere of a working to levels unattainable with fewer participants, it is also true that too many chefs can spoil the broth, to use a colloquialism. A coven of few members maintains a certain intimacy. And keeps its secrets far better."

"I am all ears, Heirophant Wooding. I would know all that you have to tell me concerning the Second Descent."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread