Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

For a second Gilroy stared blankly (which was not much different than he had been looking), his mind whirring as it grasped for the reference. It took a moment before it clicked back into the era of silent films. Never had Kenneth been more glad with working to maintain his knowledge of movies and culture. Who said college film classes were useless?

"Thank you Sire. Truthfully I am unworthy of such a compliment. I began my inspiration, as Mr. Reveneux suggested, with a more modern monster known as Slenderman. Though I did some alterations on the concept and the mask was difficult, I could only hope to one day be on the same level as Mr. Chaney."

Reluctantly turning from the monster Gilroy wanted to flee to the monster the Beast wished to flee, Kenneth explained to Philip "Lon Chaney was a brilliant actor and make up artist. He is well known for playing horrific roles. The phantom of the opera probably being his most iconic."

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-07-22 21:54:13 Kenneth Gilroy rolls 5 to Int+Academics-2 obscure (10 Again) 8, 8, 7, 2, 9 3 successes
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

2. Likes Wod.Infant liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Clark Miller)
    Prince Asa Clarke

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking •• Handsome
    Presence ●●●●●
    Charismatic/Commanding
    Need to set these up
    The Prince's Ghoul • Cozette Muriel
    The Prince's Ghoul • Olivette Angeline

+1
    SL
    PRE

It was becoming more clear why Reveneux had left New York.

Asa had meant the statement for Gilroy; to take the measure of the new Priscus, wondering if the obsequious demeanor concealed a backbone. Instead...

From rote platitudes to correcting your Judex and Prince?

If the Judex of New York had declared pigs could fly, the Invictus would collectively begin purchasing airships to ensure bacon could be served with eggs. Not that Asa cared for that degree of subservience idiocy, but it was telling all the same. Although, in fairness, the man could be one of those Unconquered who considered ignorance of 'modern' line items a compliment.

"So he was,"
    Asa agreed. A gloved hand gestured to Gilroy. "I may have given your jacket too much consideration."

"Regardless, you're both wonderful contributions to the Seneschal's chosen theme. Speaking of the Seneschal, I need to have a few words with her. Good evening to you both."

Waiting for their replies, the Horseman then proceeded to move back towards the main gathering.
    Description: 6'4, with an invitingly easy charm. Speaks with a slow cadence that borders on a drawl, but without an accent. Subtle hints of wealth in clothing and accouterments.

4. Likes Wod.Infant liked this post
    Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

"Thank you, Sire. Your costume is quite intimidating as well." Given height and build it would have been hard for the Prince to not look the part. There was more to it than just apporpriate body type. Even though they were almost the same height, Clarke towered over Gilroy, standing heads above him. And that was without an actual head.

"Good evening, Prince Clarke." Gilroy bowed again, exposing the back of his neck, as the Prince went on to better things.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

M
    MrBrightside

As the Prince departs, Philip bows with Priscus Gilroy. "Good evening, Your Grace."

Once the Prince had departed he turned back to his haunting counterpart. "Lon Chaney was famous during my youth. Thank you for refreshing my memory. Things can start to blur after a while." He lets out a casual sigh of relief. The Prince hadn't killed him. That was a victory.

"Am I holding you up from other business? It seems I've stumbled into all manner of important people tonight, and I'd hate to impede your duties." An arm extends towards the rest of the room, as if to say feel free to do as you wish. It was not the Duchagne's place to make control the actions of his betters. Even if his betters were disgusting.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

"Indeed," Gilroy replied, glancing behind his mask for a moment toward the sky clad Josephine "Memory can be a very fragile thing." Between time and torpor and 'gifts of the blood' it was amazing the Kindred could retain their humanity for so long.

Whether Philip was genuinely being polite with his next statement, Gilroy instinctively took it as a round-about way of saying 'please leave if you can think of an excuse'. While understandable, it annoyed Kenneth a little at trying to be dismissed. So he decided to inflict his presence a little longer on the porcelain predator.

"Nothing pressing. If anything, my new position means I should try to get to know new arrivals. If you don't mind me asking, what brings you to Sacramento?"
    Mask of Tranquility

M
    MrBrightside

When the Haunt elected to stick around a while longer, Philip just viewed it as a chance to get to know another leader of the city. Even if he made the Duchagne feel uneasy, he was by no means the worst Nosferatu he'd ever seen.

"I imagine my motives for moving are similar to many in my family. The place I'd been born and raised was boring me to Final Death."
    He offered a chuckle. "When my immediate family moved on, I figured it was my time as well. This is my first time so far West, and I have to say I don't regret it one bit." They had a bustling Kindred community, stable rule, and good food. What wasn't to like? "Tell me Priscus Gilroy, are you a native of this area or a transplant like me?"

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Kenneth considered Philip's statement with some skepticism. While it played to Daeva stereotypes, Gilroy suspected there was more to the story than just boredom. Not only was that unbelievably stupid for someone how had survived approximately one hundred years, but the fact that his family had left before him spoke to other hypotheses. The casual dropping of 'Final Death' could be literal. Not to mention coming 'so far West' as Gilroy had done to get away from Tabitha. The conclusion in the Nosferatu's mind tentatively said, Run out of town.

"No, I'm not local. I, in fact, only arrived here several months ago." How the Haunt had managed to rise so quickly was still making him reel mentally. If he was having problems thinking it was real, he could only imagine what others thought.

"I've met very few natives here, since my arrival. The Prince holds say over new Embraces." That could be the reason for no native neonates but Kenneth suspected it was that many didn't wish to Sire here. The political landscape was always changing. It didn't lend itself for a stable environment to raise a Childe.

"I think you'll find Sacramento offers a great many opportunities," Even going so far as to almost force greatness on those who didn't want it. "How have you been settling in?" Might as well get to know the man. It could be in a year, Reveneux would be head of the Invictus.
    Mask of Tranquility

M
    MrBrightside

Then everyone in this town was a transplant from somewhere else. "Not a bad policy to have given the instability and risk a new childe presents to the Masquerade." To the Masquerade, to the Prince, to the Domain, to kine, and to themselves. Philip would have likely made the same decision as the Prince all things considered. The right to sire should be restricted to only the most responsible of Elders.

"So far it has been a very smooth transition. Everyone I've met has been friendly. Their are no apparent hostilities between clans or covenants. I'm still meeting new people every night, and I've been very impressed by how the elite make an effort to mingle with the neonates and ancillae."
    He gestured at Kenneth and then to himself. "It's a stark change of pace compared to New York. Their direction has been invaluable thus far." The opportunities weren't jumping at him just yet, but there were certainly some appearing on the horizon. "If I might ask, what has been the greatest opportunity you've found in Sacramento." A look of curiosity crept onto his face.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Elite? It still seemed so... wrong for Gilroy to be addressed as such. Philip was older by probably half a century. Kenneth was glad his Beast was masked. It would probably have to remain that way for the rest of his stay in Sacramento. The illusion would have to be maintained.

"The greatest opportunity is that even as a recently arrived as you are, you have opportunities. You will not be shut out of power simply because you have not been established for years. There is active leadership willing to not only allow new arrivals to demonstrate their capabilities but to recognize their accomplishments." And so long as you stuck around you might even gain position before your plans to demonstrate ability even came to fruition. Kenneth was almost sorry he hadn't been able to show the Necropolis to Angel. It just meant he had to work faster. "Make an effort, volunteer, take initiative. It will make you stand out." Even if you didn't want to.
    Mask of Tranquility

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread