Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

When Konrad arrives at the university labs it is much like he remembers. Lots of white and polished steel. Plus a sleepy guard and metal detectors.

On the other side of the check point Kenneth stands waiting. He's wearing his lab coat and staff badge. It is more than a little strange. Gilroy almost looks like he has some authority here. It's not just the ID either. There is a certain confidence and lack of nervousness that he doesn't exhibit at court. After all, even vermin have areas where they have advantages. You didn't stick your hand in the warren a spider had just scurried into. You were liable to get bit.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

I've Done Things... Bad Things.

Domain Status (Bloodhunted)
    Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

-1 Vitae for Blush of Life

Konrad shows up looking more casual in a long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows and long jeans despite the warm night temperatures. He's just finishing a cigarette which he jams into a smoker receptacle about twenty feet from the building entrance. The scent lingers on his person, of smoke and ash and chemicals that no longer provide Konrad with any relief, though like a placebo it has a psychological and habitual effect of calming his nerves. He sees the familiar metal detectors and beyond them the masked predator, Kenneth.

He knows better than to bring a prybar with him this time. He doesn't even have anywhere to put it on his person. Approaching the guard and the detectors, Konrad gives a lazy wave to the Haunt on the other side. There's something different about him that Konrad can't quite put his finger on. But with Haunts they were always giving off strange signals. And Kenneth certainly held that vibe of repugnant bottom-feeder.

"Yo," he says, mostly to Kenneth but in part to the guard who's attention would be required for passage.

Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan

The guard looks up from his magazine when Konrad speaks. Then he looks back to Kenneth as if to ask 'Is this the guy?' When the Haunt nods the man sighs and practically rolls his eyes. As if having to do his job, especially at Gilroy's insistence is too much to bear.

"Please pass through the frame," he says, not even standing in preparation for a pat and search. Something like this apparently didn't merit that. "If you have anything not valuable that you won't need inside, you can leave it here with me and pick it up on the way back." The words are rote and when the Savage passes through the gate the guard is back to reading a second later.

"Good evening Mr. Roth," Kenneth greets the approach Beast, standing his ground rather than tearing into the depths of the labs "I trust you found the place okay."

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

All Konrad carries with him are his van keys which he'll leave if the guard insists on it. Konrad will otherwise pass on through the gates looking indifferent about the security procedure.

Finally reaching Kenneth, Konrad smirks in a friendly if condescending way. "Yeah, no problem, like the back of my hand. I didn't interrupt your work...or classes, did I? Biochemistry, right?" Konrad never did clarify exactly what position Kenneth maintains at the labs, whether he is a proctor or lab assistant or even a professor. It seems a pertinent topic now that he's a guest in the man's lair. It almost makes Konrad feel nosy for sniffing around Kenneth's workplace.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

"Yes," Kenneth confirmed in response to the question about his field. He ushered Konrad deeper into the bowels of the university "though right now I'm working on developing microbes to improve on the process of high-solids anaerobic digestion for conversation into natural gas with the intention of helping the Sacramento Sanitation Department fuel their collection fleet." Fancy way of saying making bacteria eat crap and shit out dump truck fuel. Gilroy's curse was actually very helpful in making sure the technical language was easily understood.

"And you don't have to worry about interrupting classes or anything. I'm a research fellow and if working nights has any advantages it is that I plenty of time to set my own schedule." Between Clan, Covenant, and Domain duties that actually had Gilroy actually having to schedule quite a bit but he had been managing.

They arrived at a door that had 'Chemical Spill: Do Not Use' posted on it. Kenneth hadn't even needed to tarnish his own safety record. The door led to a student lab and it was incredibly easy to set up an accident when cloaked in shadow. Kenneth had been a little disappointed that his guess that the two science majors would ask him to clean up their mess had played out exactly as he thought it would.

Gilroy opened the door, allowing Konrad to enter first. Assuming the Savage didn't suspect him of having set up a death trap ahead of time.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"That sounds a bit technical for me," admits Konrad, stuffing his hands in his pockets as he follows along after, his eyes wandering along with his attention. "But you know a few people in public works, it sounds like."

When the arrive to the lab doorway, there is a moment hesitation when Konrad is thinking of just that, the potential of traps. But he wouldn't be much of a businessman either if he isn't willing to take some risk. Konrad proceeds into the lab.

"So the university gives you a nice big lab all to yourself, huh? Must be nice. You ever get the chance to work on your own projects?"

Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Donovan

A pungent acidic smell assaults the Priscus' nose upon entering the lab. The door shuts behind Konrad as Kenneth pulls it closed. They were finally out of the annoying spheres of both Kine and Kindred.

"You can speak freely in here," Kenneth responds "I've made sure we could have a private meeting.

"To answer you question though, no. What you see here is abnormal in terms of size and even at night there are normally students about working on experiments." Kenneth pulled up a stool from one of the counters. It screeched painfully along the floor "However, that is not to suggest I couldn't take up certain side projects such as you suggested at court. My influence in university circles may be limited at present but I am committed to expand that influence if need be."

The worm gestured offered for Konrad to take a seat as well "Before I could commit to anything thing though, I'd need to know details. Whether you simply wanted precursor chemicals or fully synthesized product upon receipt. What product exactly you had a preference for would dictate a large amount of my response."

Kenneth's words had an urgency and energy akin to a coiled viper. Most of all though they held an interest. For the first time since Konrad has probably met him, Kenneth is making unwavering and unblinking eye contact.

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"Thanks, that's considerate of you," he remarks at the opportunity for privacy.

Konrad's smirk thins out, his lips working his expression into a thoughtful one as he grabs another stool that is offered him to sit on before returning the free hand to its pocket.

"To be honest I'm not all that knowledgeable about chemistry. Never did the college thing. Everything I've learned has been on a need to know basis. But there's no denying their uses. For example, there might be a lot of ways of knocking out a Kine with the right mixture. Maybe an injection, or a pill, or even a gas. If I ever needed to make a quick getaway or if I needed to take down a witness to a Masquerade Breach, for example. Or on one of my jobs I might need a small explosive to get through a steel door, or even a safe or vault. I'm just throwing out ideas really. At the moment I don't need anything specific. I'm just getting a sense of what you're able to handle. Think you could manage synthesizing anything like that?"

Konrad speaks candidly, making no attempt to hide his interest in larcenous behavior. Now that the subject is business he seems to be giving it the majority of his attention, losing some of his relaxed mannerisms.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Kenneth consciously makes sure he doesn't roll his eyes. Where did you even start to explain Chemistry basics to someone who wanted what Konrad did. Not to mention dispelling the falsehoods and misconceptions generated by Hollywood.

"Knock out and incapacitating agents I can make but you have to realize; they are not like in the movies. They take time to take full effect. Those that don't tend to have a high risk of accidentally causing death if the dosage administered incorrectly. Fast acting paralytics for example high risk of stopping the heart and lungs. Some agents don't even cause unconsciousness but rather make the target just not care what is happening to them. You won't be able to fire a sleeping dart at someone and expect them to fall over instantly."

"Explosive are easy. Lots of ways to make exothermic reactions. However, what it sounds like you want is shaped charges. Those are more complex but still doable."

"To answer your question, I would consider myself a leader in the fields of Biology and Chemistry*. Given enough preparation time I could probably make all of what you have mentioned, including the drugs we talked about at Court. The main limiting factor would not be my expertise, but rather the supplies I would be able to procure. I would likely depend on you to provide me anything illegal at present. Demolition equipment, restricted drug precursors, and so on."

*Science rank 4 with Bio and Chem specialties
    Mask of Tranquility

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Konrad listens intently to the details as Kenneth provides them. He hides any discouragement he might feel regarding the reality of incapacitating agents. It is what it is and Konrad appreciates the free lesson. When he hears 'Explosives are easy', his smirk reemerges in his expression.

"Alright then, no sleeping darts or knock out gas. I can live without that. Thanks for those tips. But I think I can still find a use for those kind of drugs, just gotta figure out a way to administer them safely. And it sounds like a good arrangement, at least to me. I provide the raw materials and you work your magic in the lab. After that it's just a matter of compensation. If you want we can handle it on a case by case basis. Bigger projects need a bigger payout of Boons. And it can work the other way around too. Let's say you need some sensitive material for your own projects, then we just mark those Boons off as paid. Or if you don't want to involve the Harpy, we can just figure out our trade agreements."

Konrad feels for a moment that he's just struck gold in California. A chemist of renown among the Kindred would prove a valuable asset in the long run. Not only that but he seems willing to do business and even understood Konrad's role in the exchange.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread