Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Two Sentinels in the Park

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    M
    Matrixchild

July was sitting on a bench in a park,looking out at the city. Striker and he had planned to meet there to talk about their potential duties as Sentinels and they thought the park would be calm today. Luckily they were right. At the moment there was no one wandering around and July liked it like that.

He had some bread in his hands and he threw it down to the birds gathered around. The action calmed him and he wanted to stay calm during a conversation about security and protection. The birds didn't over-complicate things, they just wanted food and he had food. No drama. That's what he wanted to help put a stop to, all the drama in the Consilium. But he had to wait to discuss solutions. Until then the birds would keep him company until his fellow Sentinel arrived.

T

Striker walked into the park wearing boots, jeans and a polo shirt, it wasn't too warm for his jacket but he didn't need it so he didn't have it. He held an open bag of beef jerky in his hand and as he saw July he waved then manipulated a piece of jerky till it was poking out and grabbed it in his mouth. He chewed and pulled it in, chewed and pulled. When he finally reached the cowboy only a small bit was sticking out. He held the packet out to the ten-gallon Gaurdian and offered "Jerhkey?" through a mouthful of dried beef. Maybe not the best food for conversations then.

M
    Matrixchild

July watched as the one-armed man approached. At the offer of Jerky July just shrugged and said, "Sure, why not," then reached inside and took out a piece. He hadn't had Jerky in a while, mostly because it wasn't good for him. Then again, drinking wasn't good for him either and he did that plenty.

He bit off a chunk and said, "How you doing?"

T

Striker worked the jerky and swallowed it down, shoving the packet into a pocket before taking a seat.

"Good mate. Just tryin' to adjust to all the changes an' stuff. How about yourself?" he asked.

M
    Matrixchild

"Good. I must admit, I'm still kind of surprised there weren't any sentinels before us," ​he said as he broke off more bread and threw it to the birds.

T

Striker stared at July with a frown for a good few seconds before he spoke.

"There were mate. Some of 'em died. Didn't ya see the notice about what Miach is puttin' together for them?" He asked. "I mean I'm guessin' it's for them and the others. Plenty of folk don't last around here. There was Asp as well but she took off for some reason. She was a damn fine sentinel and Arrow and don't let anyone tell ya otherwise ay."

He relaxed a little and lent back. "Look I dunno what you think of me but I'm guessing you've heard rumors and stuff. I'll tell ya now, I'm not the best for this job and the only reason I'm not surprised Aquinas chose me is 'cause you an' me are the only ones who volunteered." he looked away then looked back. "But I got stuff I need to work on, and helpin' the Consilium like this is gonna help me. What about you? Why'd you want the job?" he asked.

M
    Matrixchild

"Damn they were sentinels," he said in shock. He knew the position was dangerous, that hadn't bothered him. But knowing the last ones were killed in action brought it close to home.

"Well I'll be there to show my respect then."

Striker then gave his spiel about his mistakes. "I heard about the assault, but Avis said she'd handle that with you so I'm not going to concern myself with it. All I care about is what you do now and if you protect the city. That's why I volunteered for the job. This is where I live now and I protect where I live. I won't let the shitbags at the university destroy it and I won't let the councilors who seem to care more about their cloaks and drama than their duty ruin it either. I want to make this consilium a better place and I know we can have a hand in that as sentinels."

T

"Well it's up to everyone to protect the city, not just us. I mean yeah we're s'pposed to be lookin' out for threats, but it's not like we're the only ones gonna do anything. We're sorta like the police of mages right? Step in when mages aren't followin' the rules and make sure everyone's safe. If anyone's expected to really fight for the city it'd be the Arrows, but that's just Avis an' I right now, so I figure everyone should be pitchin' in where they can." The shaman said before looking at the ground in thought for a few seconds.

"Councillor one is tricky though right, 'cause Aquinas is the head honcho and I reckon it's up to him to keep 'em on track. Not much we can do unless one of 'em breaks the rules and even then we're s'pposed to do what the Consilium wants, and we get that from the council cause they're the reps ay." he frowned. "Am I makin' sense? I got it straight in my head, but I'm not sure if I'm sayin' it right."

M
    Matrixchild

July's arms were crossed in front of him as he spoke. "I can agree there, but we still have to be the example they strive for. And before you worry about your past, it's not about being perfect and following all the rules perfectly. Police officers still speed sometimes. It's about the overall example we try to set. Anyway, we can hope others will help us protect the city but I tend to expect myself to pick up the slack, and as Sentinels we definitely are the last line of defense. Arrows can take charge, but we have to be ready to protect when all else fails."

He looked out at the animals and people in the park, pausing before continuing.

"But something to keep in mind is if the doorwarden is the fist of the cabal, then the sentinel is the fist of the Heirarch. Last consilium Einstein ran out like she only cared about herself. Now Aquinas, I can tell he'd stick around until things calm down and get worked out but who's to say the other councilors can't end up like Einstein. The council may make the rules, but they have specific duties in the precept and it's are job to make sure they follow them. Think about it like this: if it's their job to make decisions about matters and change the laws, it's our job to enforce those laws and decisions. But if they can't reach a decision or fail to enact laws because of indecisiveness or bickering then it's our job to step in and help push them in the right direction. Help focus them on what there job is. We don't speak for any one path or order, we act as tools for the consilium, and when the council is stuck in a sandtrap, we help dig them out."

T

Striker loooked at the eager Acanthus with a considering expression. When July was finished he spoke. "Mate we're tools for the heirarch. He chose us and he can let us go if 'e wants. Heirarch's chosen to lead the councillors when they're goin' off track, not us. We're s'posed to be the law sure, but it's not written down anywhere that councillors have to be good at doin' their job. If they're no good, pick another one, but that's the idea of havin' a bunch of different paths choose their own one right? Everyone works differently so they all want their own way of doin' stuff heard. So who are you to decide that the Obrimos councillor is councilin' wrong ay?" He asked pointedly. "If Aquinas calls us in to deal with somethin' fine, but what you're talking about sounds like a copper marchin' into a court room an' tryin' to arrest the judge 'cause he's not doin' what the cop thinks is right."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 8

You do not have permission to view the list of names.