DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"The faith you place in Ms. Jasons speaks very well of the woman herself. Perhaps I have been reticent in the due I've paid her," Coco mused around another sip of wine. The Wasp took a moment to savor the drink, inhaling through her nose to infuse the liquid with the buoying essence of air, and then, finally, she swallowed.

"To answer your question, Ava, bear with me along a thought experiment. One that concerns fear. Perhaps, the reason why Terri was comfortable with me speaking about her and her desires in the first place is actually due to a consideration of fear. Not hers, of course, but that of the rest of the committee. Imagine how less intimidating it might be for you to throw a drink in my face and tell me that you'd never support Terri. After all, even if she did become manager, you could always blame me and my delivery for your lack of support. I don't think it's much of a secret that I'm not well liked."

A bitter smile appeared, just until the wine glass rose and hid it while Coco took another sip. A much, much quicker one.

"And, of course, there's Ms. Jasons' fear to consider as well," the Claviger elaborated, setting her glass down. "If Terri were to speak with all of you separately then it might well appear that she was gathering support for a coup. Better for people like me to speak with you, someone who has no weight or authority, someone who bears no threat to Ms. Jasons position to make you aware of Terri's intention and to poll you. Simply, I am less threatening than if Terri went around coercing people into supporting her."

The Wasp paused, a hand raising to forestall further comment. "And don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that Terri plans to coerce anyone into defying Ms. Jasons or anything of the sort. I simply mean to say that if she was the one speaking with everyone in the committee than it would appear to be a much more aggressive power play. However, being dedicated to the cause of the committee, she obviously doesn't wish to disrupt everything by doing something so brutish. Rather, she's taking the time to get to know how the committee feels now about things before she attempts to do anything. She's using me as a barometer, so to speak, so she can better understand what needs to be done. Or if anything needs to be done.

"In a nutshell," Coco added with small laugh, "she's studying the situation and learning from it. She's also being cognizant of the effects of fear and weighing them into her actions. Above all, however, she is being considerate of the current committee. Rather than disrupt it, she's instead listening to it. Rather than challenge Jasons she's allowing you all to display your respect, but also to offer your honest opinions so that she can best understand how things might be improved. You and your other friends in the committee, Ava, are something that she dearly values and is taking an interest in."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

2. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Ava listened carefully, though the longer Coco spoke the less convinced the Nix looked. Drawing a hand over her mouth and down her chin, she took a moment at the end to collect her thoughts before responding.

"Your thought experiment... well, I think it's a little flawed. You claimed that it wasn't about Terri's fear, but it sounds like just that: sending someone to be rejected for you is distasteful, and I would never be so spineless as to blame any lack of support for her on you. I may not always know what to do with you, but I don't dislike you." If she was expressing herself, why not go all out. "So, from that, I could only assume she's too insecure to be rejected face to face. And I find that a bit hard to believe." There was no way someone who had held the title of Dread Queen could be that afraid of being turned down by the handful of Courtiers still left to Autumn.

"And... what was your next point...ah! Ms. Jasons. I also find it hard to believe she would ever be frightened by something like departmental politics. If I am unsurprised by this idea, it couldn't possibly be news to her either. Personally I would think Ms. Jasons would be more insulted by those from outside our department working to undermine her position on behalf of a third party, than by a former manager poking around. Either way, it absolutely looks like she's gathering power for some sort of coup- because that's what she's doing!" Coup was perhaps too strong a word for it, but it was close enough.

"I hear what you're saying, Coco, but I don't like the way it's being handled. It feels more underhanded than if she just approached me herself. I'm not saying I think you're being underhanded," she added, raising a hand between them as if to pause the words. "I just don't like what you've been asked to do. So..."

The beginning of her next question was cut short as their salad arrived and she leaned back. Once the plate was settled before her and relative privacy was returned to them, she began again. "Can we try something different? I want to hear why you think she should have this. What got you on board?" Both solicitous and curious, Ava's full attention was on the Wasp.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

For a moment Coco looked rather wan, as it seemed that none of her repartees, advances, or other maneuvers gained her any ground or sliced apart her opponents debate, but then she sensed an opening which she might be able to exploit.

"Well, as I'm sure you know, all of the committees interact. And yes, I know that's obvious, but it's easy to forget sometimes. The head of your committee, very soon, will be running the whole show, and then a year later that will happen again. Terri is someone that, from what I've seen, understands all the committees better than what I've seen from Jasons. I've been in the city for a year, not as long as you, of course, but that's enough time to gained an informed opinion I believe."

The wasp paused, taking a moment to dish some of the salad onto her own plate.

"Now, obviously Jasons hasn't done a poor job, but I've personally witnessed Terri interact with my committee in a way that embraced our purpose, but while also aligning it with that of your group's. I think that's something important to consider due to the fact that all of the committees, while they might have different purposes, must still cooperate, learn from each other, and be led by the others as...situations change. So, a good manager shouldn't just know how to handle your committee, they also have to know how to handle others, and I personally think that Terri does that better."

A small smile alighted upon the Wasp's lips as she pondered her words. Not a killing thrust, per se, but a solid graze if nothing else. Content with that, at least, just as she was content that she wasn't disliked by present company, she took a healthy bite of the salad, savoring the surprisingly deft interplay of citrus, bitter greens, and sweet dressing.
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

5. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

Ava was pretty sure that Ms. Jasons understood Spring pretty well, she just considered it frivolous. Which was hard for her to argue against, as there were several reasons she herself was not a member of the Spring Court.

"Terri's understanding of different group's ideologies and needs are what make her perfect for the position she's in right now. I'm not saying that's not a good managerial trait as well, but in terms of being a moderator, she's already very well placed. It's her job, utilizing her skills and personality, to make everyone feel understood and heard. Her ability to do that as a manager may be impacted by the other duties she would need to perform, other lines she would need to toe. I agree with you, empathizing with other factions is important for a leader, but it's the bread and butter of a diplomat."

"And," she added, pushing some salad around with her fork, "Honestly, the fact that Ms. Jasons doesn't try to solve everything with a smiling face and politeness is a comfort to me. I appreciate someone who can be blunt and honest and cut through some of the social hoopla around protecting people's feelings. What I'm trying to get at is that friendliness, niceness, aren't at the top of the list of requirements for me. I want someone that's smart, that's clever, that calls out bullshit the moment it steps through the door, and doesn't put up with excuses."

She stopped there, lips pressed together as she realized who it sounded like she was describing. Add short, angry and gone, and it was a perfect fit. Stabbing a few leaves with her fork, she began to eat, too distracted by her thoughts to properly enjoy it.

Pausing for a drink of water, she took a moment before returning to her food. "It's not like we get a vote on this- how is she planning to prove she's more suited to the job?" There was no discrete way to ask how she was planning to make the Wyrd reconsider, so she left it at that and hoped Coco would pick it up. Skewering another bit of salad, she chewed.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Double post, plez ignore.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Strange internet thing occured, this is the real post.

"I believe you're misinterpreting the advantages granted by a keen sense of empathy," Coco countered, all while completely, ironically oblivious to the turn in the Nix's temper. "Empathy grants understanding, knowledge of another, and that knowledge allows one to best understand how to utilize and direct those beneath them. Emotions, after all, are like words written upon the pages of our psyches and our beings. Any worthy leader should be able to do that deftly, as deftly as Terri can, but particularly your department, I think. I don't think you need me saying that reading is very important for you all. Similarly, consider the worth in someone that choose which words and which pages they display for others to read. Isn't that, at times, more potent than displaying your distaste for all to see?"

The question was followed by a healthy sip from her wineglass, as though a silent toast had just been drunk to in Coco's own favor and a smile blossomed in the wake.

"As for your question, I can't say that I know the answer, but I do have my suspicions. I alluded to them, before, I believe, when I said that Terri is using me as a probe of sorts. Doubtless, since she's already been manager once before she knows all the fine print that would help her ascend to the position again, but perhaps she doesn't wish to leave anything up to chance? Perhaps, by learning where others perceive her as less worthy than Jasons, by learning where she must improve or, more accurately, increase awareness, she is helping to fulfill the fine print. Or, perhaps, she simply wishes to get a baseline," Coco mused with a languorous shrug.

"Either way, I suppose I've exhausted my knowledge of the situation...So! Ava! Tell me, what has been happening in your life, lately?"

S
    Saeyer

Ava considered interjecting that she hadn't been talking about displaying distaste but guiding with a firm hand, but she let it rest. She wasn't really trying to change Coco's perspective on leadership, they could value different things. A very snide part of her wanted to ask why the Claviger didn't nominate Terri for Queen of Spring if she liked her so much, but it seemed wise to hold onto some level of decorum, no matter how frustrated she was beginning to feel.

Knocking back the end of her wine, she wished now it had been something stronger. What was happening felt sneaky, and... alarmingly underdeveloped? Maybe Coco's references to testing the Court waters had been more serious than she thought, and no real plan had been formed yet. But why gauge people's interest on something that couldn't yet be fully articulated? And what would any professed interest do or mean?

The swirl of thoughts and considerations kept her from responding for a moment, still stuck on the previous subject. "Ah, well..." Gathering herself, she considered Coco briefly. Boring and easy, or real conversation? One was more comfortable, but the other might give her a more accurate measure of the person sitting across from her; right now, one of those things seemed a lot more important than the other. "I don't know if you've already heard, but Mal left town. It was for a good reason, but it's been difficult. Still getting used to living alone again, you know?"

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"I do, actually," Coco commiserated, wine glass now set aside and forgotten. She was silent for a moment, a minor miracle when it came to the Claviger, and her expression sobered.

"I'm sure you've gathered by now that Catherine left. I know that was months ago," she continued with a small sigh, "and I know that she was only here for a scant few months in the first place but I'm still adjusting to it. When a hope is born it is at first a fragile thing, yet still piercing when it dies. When a hope has grown, however, been nurtured and groomed until it is hearty and hail and seemingly strong enough to carry you, that is when its demise is the most eviscerating, for it pulls a dream of the future after it into the grave. Catherine was around just long enough for my own hope to have grown so. I cannot imagine what it must be like for you. I know that you shared a different relationship with Miss Grey, but in many ways I suspect that it was stronger than most any relationship..."

At a loss for words that wouldn't trespass even deeper into the dreaded, dreaded realm of the cliche, the wasp's eyes fell back upon her wine glass, the pool of pale coral liquid growing infinitely deep and drawing the longer her gaze rested there. Alas, for one night at least she had other company, so she looked back to her dinner companion.

"How have you been coping? I've found the radio helps add a sense of life to vacant space."

S
    Saeyer

The Claviger's language was more flowery than her own, but the sentiment rang true. She'd half-assumed that the departure of Mal, no great love of Coco's, would be celebrated before she thought of the effect it might have on those close to her. Maybe she was being petty or ungenerous, but despite the wasp extolling the virtues of empathy, she hadn't expected any. Listening carefully, a couple of the tightly coiled wires in her mind began to relax, not on the subjects they had been discussing before, but about Coco herself. With a mixture of relief and guilt, she realized she had never liked her more.

"I talk to my fish," she admitted sheepishly. "I've got a handful of tetras, these little tiny fish, and sometimes I read to them. Novels, y'know, or poetry and stuff." Snickering at herself, she shook her head. "It's dumb, but it helps. The radio sounds like a good idea, though."

Fingers wrapped around her water glass, she was silent for a moment before looking back to Coco, head slightly tilted. "I'm sorry about Catherine. It sounds like you miss her very much. It's hard to admit, but I don't really know what I'm doing, with coping. I'm not actually sure if I am coping, I'm just sort of doing stuff and trying to plug back in to the schedule I had before. It's not like I'm some friendless orphan, she was just different. She was important."

"I just had this idea that it was going to be me, her and Jack until the end, but..." Shrugging with one shoulder, she gazed into her glass. "I just need a little time."

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Well, you're in luck then, Ava. Time is something that you have. How much I don't know, but certainly the rest of this evening," the Claviger mused. "Likely the morning after it, too, and likely the next after that. I think plugging back into your schedule is not a bad way to spend that time. In fact, the value of time is something that I've often thought about since my amour left. I've found that the time I value most is time in which I perform the act of doing, rather than that of not doing. Part of this is because, and perhaps it's not the same for everyone, but I've found that the space I call home is sometimes more like a cage than a haven. The lock on the door doesn't just the keep the outside out, after all, but also everything that dwells within. And, within, it is also alone. At times that's what I need, but more often than not...it's not."

Coco glanced down at her food again, and with an ironic smile picked up her fork and speared another bite.

"I like you're idea of fish, though. Those, at least, would be things that would depend upon you. To them you would be everything, even if they didn't know it. In that way, you would always matter, at least to them."

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread