Ended
Watch

Thorns in the Garden

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Emrys

PRE

Emrys nodded to Crowley and listened to July. It was a warning that every Time mage heard when someone first learned they had the ability to divine the future. Then the mention of multiple operations and a war council. Though he had to bury his feelings about the Wave, there was misinformation that couldn't be propagated.

"There will be no war council behind closed doors. Ever." The Provost said as he leveled his gaze against July. "The decision of how to operate these tasks will be handled by the Council in conjunction with the cabals. There are meetings before the actual concilium to discuss how to handle trials and issues before bringing them to the floor for public opinion and critique. At the last concilium the Councilors deemed it more important to talk about bureaucracy and trials, but the Banishers were never the less brought forward for the public to be aware and express their concerns. The outline is planned by the people's representation, clarification and coordination is handled by the Council and public at Concilium, and the cabals go forth with the coordinated efforts of the Concilium behind them."

At least theoretically. Emrys believed the system could be salvaged, but as is?

"Anyway, if we're in agreement of how to move forward with the divinations I'd like to move on to the next issue. The Lex." He pauses, sipping his beer before nervously continuing. "So as some of you may remember last fall, we had a talk about the Precepts and how we would handle them moving forward. Nous wanted to do away with the Precepts of Life and Law, assuring us that they fell under Hubris as she envisioned it. Life was obviously honored in part by doling out a harsher punishment on people who use their Magic on Sleepers verse using them on people who can protect themselves."

The Enchanters head bobbed to one side to the other, hissing slightly from the intake of breathe. "My problem is something I noticed after last Concilium with the impending Striker trial. Namely, that most nonmagical crimes have no ban under Hubris as it is currently written. It just says you know what's wrong so don't do it, and historically the Precept only applies to magical acts. So nonmagical physical assault, blackmail, perjury, etcetera are all things that could possibly go untried depending on the will of the Council. I don't think it was the likely intent or even necessarily the current reality, but I was wondering if people would want to try and plug that hole just in case."

Eyes bounced from face to face, curious what they had to say on the matter.

Free Council

Temoins du Sud, Doorwarden
    Crowley

Free Council

PRE

"Lets keep things the way they are for the moment," Crowley munched around his words. After a pause to gulp down what he was eating, he continued: "You bring up a good point, Emrys. But I think we should it in reserve and maybe come back to it later. As you say - and rightly, I think. If you're asking - the Council is way too interested in navel gazing over trials and bureaucracy. We need to focus more on the big issue of... Banisher University. Heh thats a good one... Yeah, Banisher U. I figure thats more of a threat than Precepts and shit."

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3
    Aurora Scenes

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Ok, so sounded like she was the only one concerned with the issues of looking into anothers future. If the others wanted to trifle with someones Fate and destiny, so be it.

"I agree, the Banishers are more of an issue. But on the other hand, we can't function as a whole if there is fighting among the Awakened. It creates turmoil and makes us an easier target for Banishers. Not sure how to handle it though."

M
    Matrixchild

July had been calm since he got to Sacramento, but with one word, Ever, Emrys had talked to July like Emrys made all the rules, and that was something July just couldn't let go. He had talked to July like he knew best. Had this Enchanter ever actually dealt with a Banisher before? Ever actually seen combat? July had! July got up from his seat and stared Emrys down as he yelled.

"Banisher U, you hear that? The assumption isn't that these Banisher are a couple of assholes causing trouble. That's not the first time I've heard someone talk about it like the whole damn University is a part of it. And you want to shift the focus to worrying about the laws? Maybe some people can stay behind and play with "the rules" while I focus on the ones who want to kill us. I mean, have you forgotten that banishers think magic is wrong? They don't want to contain it, they don't want to enjoy it, they want to fucking ERADICATE it. Fucking wipe us off the map because they believe we shouldn't even exist."

His breathing was heavy after he finished that last word. Had he gone too far? Maybe, but it was out and couldn't be stopped. He took a deep breath before speaking more calmly. "All I'll say on this matter, is that the banishers are the number one issue for the Consilium. Anything else is conditional on us actually surviving whatever they have planned. Let me ask you, where is our councilor? We're in her home and she's not even here. This isn't a matter that needs to be put before a committee and voted on like we're picking the name of a park. This needs decisive action and sometimes that means a special group to make decisions. If no one else will step up to the plate, we sure as hell will do something about it, with or without the council's support. I promised to protect the Consilium as Sentinel, and that means doing what needs to be done to protect all of us in the end."

Miach

PRE

The Precept of Life was gone ? Now that pissed off the usually quiet doctor. "Well, no offense meant to present company, but I already voiced my opinion about the Precept of Life. If it were the same as that other, it wouldn't exist ! It can't be gone like that !"

And before the latest Acanthus cowboy since West could "focus him back on track", he nodded in approval to the call. "I'll have your back, July. But I still want to hope something can be done to open their eyes, and not close them... definitly...", otherwise, that would be defeating the whole purpose of being a doctor. Bringing hope into the darkness.

6. Likes Yumyumcrow, West liked this post

Emrys

PRE

Emrys took a deep breathe as the meeting swiftly turned away from the constructive.

"July, I'm going to strongly advise you to consult Aquinas on the duties of your position, the responsibilities of the current Council, and the role of the cabal in this conflict." The Provost said in as calm a manner as he could muster. "People have stepped up to the plate, they're the Councilors, the other officials of the Concilium such as yourself, and the cabals. The committee your looking for is the ruling Council, and if you are dissatisfied with your Councilor then you elect another in the predecessors stead."

"As for why I turned the direction of the conversation to the laws, Striker assaulted a Councilor half a year ago with no repercussions and the Curator of the Mysterium tried to extort favors from Star in the middle of the last official Concilium." Eyes scanned the group. "Given the lack of response to the crimes I figured it might be worth discussing because as Faye said, division in the ranks leaves an easier target for the enemy. Apparently though, threats from within are not to be regarded by the Concilium's police."

An casual shrug, and he turned his attention to Miach. "The Precept of Life was meant to be merged into Hubris, and rewording that Precept from it's current rendition is an easy possibility to resolve the issue. That and reintroducing the Precept of Law in a very limited fashion will effectively handle that concern if that will put your mind at ease. If you would rather the Precept of Life be reintroduced entirely, I will bring that suggestion forward as well."

Finally Emrys returned to looking around the group before falling on Faye. "As for the location of our Councilor, I got a text from Mace some time ago that she intended to leave the city in the middle of an investigation we were conducting. I didn't know the members of Panthera Nox well, but I got the distinct impression her and Pepper were close and would bet all my money she followed Mace out of town."

Aurora
    Spells
    Striking Looks
    (Riveting)
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Fame
    (Entertainment)
    Madison Cross
    (Sleeper ID)
    Gnosis
    Aurora
    Aurora

Dedicated Magical Tool

Multicolored copper bracelet with intricate loops winding around her right wrist.
    Nimbus

The sweet, fragrant smells of roses mixed with lilacs emanate from her as she casts magic. The scent intensifies, bordering on intoxicating, when Life magic is cast. When Aurora casts Vulgar magic, the scent takes a nasty turn, to the putrid, nauseating odor of a rotting corpse. The stronger the magic, the more those around want to retch at the smell.
    Monthly Spells

Monthly spells done on character sheet.

Pulse of the Living World[POT 6]
    Organic Resilience[POT 6]
    (PrP Treasure Hunt)

Active Spells: 1/6
    [Detect Substance]Bone
    Personal Spells: 2/3
    Vulgar:
    Mana:6/8
    WP:3
    Aurora Scenes

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blue eyes shift to July and his words. The guy had passion, she’ll give him that.

And then the convo turned to Striker and his crimes. She thought this had been settled by Avis at the last Council.

“As far as the incidents with Striker, my guess as to why it was dragged out so long was not only the lack of Factotums, but the inner conflict among the Council. How can we have crimes dealt with in a reasonable amount of time if at every meeting there is yelling and accusations being thrown around?” it was frustrating to say the least. But she wasn’t on the Council.

Her eyes shifted down for a moment, “As far as Pepper is concerned, I know as much as anyone else here. I never got a call or a text saying anything was up. And her and Mace are more than just close, they’re sisters.” Shrug, “If she did follow Mace, I don’t know, and have been worried about her. It just seems odd that she would just leave and not let someone know.”

M
    Matrixchild

The taste of blood filled July's mouth. He had to bite the side of his cheek to stop him from snapping in return at Emrys' response. He was almost enough to distract him from what the others had said. He pulled a piece of paper and pen out of his pocket and wrote his number down, then put it on the table in the middle of the group. He gave a fake smile to cover his anger and said, "Clearly someone already thinks he's been elected Councilor. But if you want to sit on your ass and debate the laws all day while the city goes to shit then maybe you should be."

July turned in disgust and headed toward the door. "If anyone wants to talk to someone who actually wants to take care of this city's real problems, you know where to reach me," he said, gesturing to the phone number he wrote down. He then adjusted his hat and continued towards the door, and unless stopped will leave.

Free Council

Temoins du Sud, Doorwarden
    Crowley

Free Council

PRE

Crowley watched, munching, while July made his exit. Licking his fingers, he spared a glance for the rest of the assembled Enchanter's.

"So I guess we have a new Councillor." With the revolving door nature of the position, he wasn't going to argue any more. "Do we have any other business or anything else to share?"

Assembling questions to put to a group working re: Banisher University, check. Questions over the Lex, check.

Miach

PRE

The Hierarch. The Council. The Officials. The Cabals... blah... if Miach had any passing interest in politics, all that internecine pointless infighting would drive him away from it in an instant.

"You are very eloquent, Emrys. I can't wait to see what you'll actually achieve as a Councilor. And yes about those Precepts, please." the doctor replied as the Factotum finished lecturing them. The news about Pepper was disconcerting, but they had to move on, and if someone wanted the position...

Taking up the number given by July, he commited it to memory, and offered put it back in place.

"I would think I'm good..." he finally said at Crowley's question. The sooner it would be over, the better.

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread