Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

An Afternoon Chat

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Lynn Mills

Lynn hummed softly as she finished cleaning up her kitchen. She’d managed to get lost as she was working on a song for Kyle, but the timer she’d set had given her enough time to get in some sort of order. She glanced around frowning distractedly as she tried to see if there was anything she’d forgotten.

A cramped little studio apartment, she’d managed through hard work and a lot of careful thrift shopping to turn it into something cozy, with a little kitchen area in the corner; a small couch in the center and her bed at the far end that was shielded by a curtain she’d rigged up. Turning on one heel, she found the small box of pastries that she’d begged off of Mrs. Rosemary. The matronly Ogre had been happy to provide them and it let her off the hook for cooking anything herself.

Brushing her hands off, Lynn arranged the dainties on a plate and set it on the table, then glanced at the clock. Tessa should be arriving any moment.

A
    AwakeOrangutang

Tessa didn't know if she was late or early. All she knew was that she'd taken a nap and woken up with burning feeling that she needed to be somewhere RIGHT NOW. So, throwing on a light blue tank top and khaki shorts, she was out on the streets before she even remembered where she actually heading. Luckily, looking in her phone for texts or mixed calls did reveal she'd set a calendar date to got to Lynn's. Oh yeah, she'd wanted to talk to her. Good thing about that, she wondered if she would've actually remembered if she hadn't set the reminder. Ah well, didn't matter now.

She set a brisk pace towards her destination but was glad to know she didn't need too specific of directions. Sacramento was a big place, but it was easier to manage when you only had to know the Freehold. Even easier when most of your traveling was by walking. Or bus, she actually bought herself a bus pass she could use from time to time. It really helped when her feet were sore and she just didn't feel like making the trek back to Edna's. Unfortunately, the bus wouldn't be stopping soon enough for her destination so that led her right back to hoofing it... or clawing it. On a side note, she supposed she was glad her Durance gave her claws and not hooves, know that she thought about it.

She arrived at Lynn's studio apartment only slightly tired and mostly on time. Which wasn't quite on time but shouldn't be enough to make Lynn worry. She'd forgotten a lot during her time in Arcadia and wasn't the most well-mannered person before that, but she did know enough that it was bad manners to make your host wait, thank you failed job interview at Subway. She straightened her shirt out, not wanting to make a bad impression, and knocked three times on the door.

Lynn Mills

Lynn pulled open the door and smiled at Tessa. "Come on in, make yourself comfortable." She gestured at the small table set up in the corner, the plate with Mrs. Rosemary's treats already available. The rest of the apartment could be considered thrift store chic at best, but there were several plants in little pots at all the windows and it somehow managed to convey a homey atmosphere.

"I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you about your request, but I had been the Spring Emissary for all of half an hour when Violet spoke with you. We had to get a few things straightened out first." Lynn paused with her hand on the fridge door. "Can I offer something to drink? I've got water, soda, some coffee?"

A
    AwakeOrangutang

"Thanks, I think I will." Tessa walked into Lynn's abode and gladly flopped down on the couch. It was a nice enough place. It wasn't too fancy of a place and it clearly wasn't new, but it had a nice atmosphere. Lived in and homey. Plus, it was a great deal more organized and fashionable than her own living quarters so she certainly wasn't about to criticize.

"Spring Emissary? Well congratulations on the title. Sounds nice and fancy. I'm just glad you could get to me in the first place." She wasn't about to reveal she didn't actually know what an emissary was. "Water please, it was a bit of a walk here from Edna's." As she leaned back on the couch, she picked up one of the pastries and took a bite out of it. And surprisingly, it was really good! Granted, she didn't exactly think she was bad cook, she had no way to tell that or not, but the pastry was an unexpected treat and she quickly wolfed the rest of it down before grabbing another.

"These are good! Did you make these yourself?"

Lynn Mills

Lynn laughed, a rich and full sound that was aimed as much at herself as it was towards Tessa's question. "Lord no! I may be the designated diplomat for the Emerald Court, but when it comes to baking I leave that to Mrs. Rosemary. She takes regular ingredients and turns them into Art." Getting a couple of glasses of water out, Lynn handed one to Tessa and took the other to the other end of the sofa, curling up with her legs under her, leaning over to place her fiddle under the low table in front of them. "So, you wish to join the Spring Court, yes?" she leaned a bit to the side, propping her chin on her fist. "May I ask what it is you know about us? And what is it you hope to gain by joining?"

A
    AwakeOrangutang

She could agree with that. Hell, she was pretty sure anyone who had tried Mrs. Rosemary's food could agree she was a wizard in the kitchen.

"Well... I suppose first off is that I know that the Courts somehow work on defending against the True Fae. I'm not quite sure how but the emotions the Courts define themselves with throws them off their guard. But the Spring Court is the only one I can really get behind. Fuck with them by having fun? Why aren't more people in this?! Though even I know that's kinda simplifying it and I'm just a stupid animal. But I also wanted to help out the Freehold. I see Ava and Morgan doing important things for their court, I don't want to just sit back in watch. The Freehold has done more for me than my mom ever did, shouldn't I help out with it? But, like I said, I just don't feel as connected to the other court emotions."

Lynn Mills

Lynn nodded, understanding why Violet had asked her to speak with Tessa. The young girl obviously didn't completely understand what the Emerald Court stood for; there was no way that she could fulfill her potential without true understanding.

"Sticking it to Them by having fun; that's part of it, the tip of the iceberg so to speak. Of course, there's more to it." She settled backwards into the cushions, clasping her mug with both hands.

"At the heart of it, we revel in pleasure because it's the best way to remember that we are alive. Yes we all went through hell, some of us the deepest most painful hells that we could never imagine. But we survived and for now we're free and so we dance too much and we sing too loud. We celebrate the joys of the moment because fuck if we didn't earn them." Lynn grinned crookedly. "But we also celebrate Desire and Passion in all their forms. Some of us seek our passions in Art, there are one or two scholars, a warrior, ect. We find the one thing that drives us and we pursue it as far as we can. We take what we were given and we make it work for us." She shrugged. "We live life to the ragged edge, because we don't know what else to do." She looked at Tessa gravely. "So then. What is it that you feels draws you? What would your passion be?" There was a beat of silence. "It is certainly ok if you don't know yet, or if you don't know how you could achieve it. You said you wanted to help the Freehold. There are a variety of ways you could do that, depending on what you want to do."

A
    AwakeOrangutang

Tessa was all smiles as she explained the first part. All of that made sense to her. After the dark and vicious forests of Arcadia, she was more than happy to revel in her newfound luxury, even if she was one of the very few that would consider a small room and odd jobs to eat fast food something of a luxury. Because she wasn't having to fight literally tooth and claw to live every day, living seemed a lot more special. However, her face grew more serious when she mentioned that they also pursued their passions wholeheartedly. Which presented a problem.

"I... don't know. I don't think I'm after anything in particular. I'm just kinda... living. Comfort? Wealth? I don't know, their nice but I don't know if I could dedicate myself to them. I... just don't know. I'd ask about yours but, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's music. ...Does this mean I can't join the Spring Court? I know you said it's ok but you'd probably also say it's ok if I decided not to join, and that's definitely not the case. I... just don't know what I could possibly pursue."

Lynn Mills

Lynn nodded. "Yeah, I guess it's pretty obvious what my passion is." A hint of a wry smile crossed her lips before she frowned and shook her head.

"Hold on now." She held up one hand and pointed a finger at Tessa. "Don't get ahead of yourself. This is why Ms. LeBlanc asked me to speak with you, to make sure you knew what you were getting into. If you join us without having something to focus on, you'll never reach your true potential. So while we'd love to have you, it might not be the best thing for you." She leaned forwards and set her cup on the table. "Now. If you already thought like a member of the Spring Court, you'd already be a member of the Spring Court. So, let's look at this in small bits. You mentioned you wanted to be able to help the Freehold, yes? What is it you see that needs doing, when you look around." She spread her hands. "And remember, it don't have to be something you could go out and do right now. Learning to do something is just as important as actually doing it." She settled back, giving the impression that she was quite content to wait all afternoon if that's what it took Tessa to get her thoughts together.

A
    AwakeOrangutang

Tessa thought quite a bit on her words. After all, it was part the steps in helping her join the Spring Court. Now... what did she see that needed done?

"Well... there isn't really a place we can be ourselves and talk things over that are strictly Changeling in nature. Don't get me wrong, we have more than a few places that cater to us for sure. But the Rose Garden, the Blue Note, The Forge, and Quicksilver Gate, they're all still mundane places. I've had this problem before where even though you're in a Freehold establishment, you still can't speak freely because all of those places can and are still frequented by the locales. I mean, this is a big city, so you can't guarantee that some random bystander won't walk in to the place and interrupt things. That kinda only leaves Edna's. And don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for Ms. Betony Rue letting me stay under her roof. But I don't really like to go there to talk things over. Nobody wants to risk her temper. That's why I think the Freehold events are such big hits. Because for one day, you don't have to worry about a mundane putting a halt on everything. You can feel free to revel in your Lostness and it's fine because everyone's kinda doing that."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread