Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(FoC) Near the entrance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    S
    Saeyer

"I'm getting the better end of that deal," she said to Ramona with a crooked smile. Her ability to watch anyone's back in this scenario, whatever exactly it ended up being, seemed laughable at best. Waving as Alex approached, a look of sincere contrition passed over her face at the mention of introducing him to Rick. "I'm so sorry! There was an event at work, and- well, I'm glad you got to talk to him anyway. And I'm basically one giant question mark right now. I was assuming it was some sort of color fight but it seems a little more elaborate than that..." Alarmingly elaborate. "What's Holi?"

At the sound of the Ferret's voice Ava turned with a grin. "Tessa! Yes, I managed to wrestle myself free from the iron grip of my latest conquest... a very dense book on folklore." Her smile was edging on embarrassed as her friend mentioned the lack of general Ava-uniform attire, and the tips of her ears were a little pink. "I was afraid I'd swelter to death if I wore any more than this. And these babies need some air after being in pants all winter." Revel in your embarrassment, become one with it... "Your dress is nice, though! Is it one of the ones from here?"

Returning Morgan's wave, she smiled at Lynn before the Nightsinger was pulled away by Coco. She watched them go for a moment before returning her attention to her present company, and returning Milo's nod. The more she looked at the people present, the more it registered exactly how unfair some of this was going to be: some of these people were still going to look good afterward!

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Alex resisted the urge to frown at Tessa for embarrassing Ava, but managed to keep his smile in place and tried to sooth the Autumn Scrivener. "It's a shame, that you're feeling embarrassed for the sake of your physical comfort... but I'm just glad to see more of you." He smiled wider for a moment, before catching how that might sound. "Around! Err, I'm glad to see more of you around. No need for you to risk discomfort to please me."

And now he was blushing. Easy enough to fix, start answering questions. "Lynn had the right of it before she got dragged off. Holi's a Hindu festival, but it's celebrated on the full moon before the vernal equinox, a date closer to the spring coronation. But the full festival usually has a bonfire the night before to celebrate the burning of an evil demon, and the next morning everyone runs out and throws colors everywhere."

Was he missing any info? Well, Ava had wondered about how elaborate it had gotten. "Err, Mrs. Rosemary heard 'throwing colors around' and immediately thought of organizing a food fight... I have a feeling that most everything that seems overboard was her doing. Usually the holiday is a simpler event. Kids get colored water, adults get powder, and everyone has fun until midday, go home, get clean, and spend the rest of the day eating with family."

Actually, that last bit reminded the windwing of something, along with Violet LeBlanc whispering in his ear. "Ah! Queen LeBlanc! I'll get those in a moment, but I was wondering if our commons was sorted out enough to let people bath there before heading home, if they wanted."

Her bewitching eyes slightly widened and she shook her head. “I’m afraid not. And it would be preferred if those of our Court had the first opportunity to enjoy it before allowing others to take part.” The Queen didn’t reveal her surprise that it was mentioned outside of the Verdant’s before it was ready for its debut. The Flowering was all for giving and sharing, but some things needed to be special, just for a moment.

And the dye would never come out… Of course, it was their idea to have this type of festivity, but the work put in to their spa would quickly become ruined. The Nightsinger grinned and offered an alternative. “However, there is a shower on the upper floor of the Rose Garden if anyone is in need before leaving.”

All the while, Violet kept an eye on the group off to the side. Their Season was to be a happy one, when things were amiss, the Queen easily took notice.

"The reverse," she replies to the inquiry Tessa addressed to her. Ava's mirth brings a small smile to the lips of the Ogress, even if it is a little self-deprecating. She nods along as Alex explains the nature of the holiday, and smirks when he mentions Mrs. Rosemary. For all her positive, matronly energy, she also seems like a bit of a wild woman. It's an interesting mix. The clarification fails to actually clarify what will be going on at the event though, so she inquires of Alex further, "So it is going to be a food fight?" Or a squirt gun and water balloon battle? Or a 'throw powder at each other' party? Or some combination of all three? Is it competitive? Are there teams? Information please. Let the nature of 'surprise' die a quiet death unnoticed, it'll be better for everyone.

She archs a brow at the mention of 'our commons' and 'letting people bathe.' That's something she hasn't heard of before. And apparently it's new. Though maybe Violet doesn't want the word about these commons getting out so soon. If it's a Court-specific Commons, and not Freehold Commons, they're usually private. She doesn't comment though, it's too easy to be distracted by the fact that Coco is making a scene. Hard to tell exactly what about, but knowing Coco, it might have to do with not being the center of attention. Throwing a shit-fit is a good way to reclaim the spotlight. Not a positive way, but even bad attention is still attention, eh? It's interesting to see Violet watching them out of the corner of her eye, and to be reminded that things aren't all bright and rosy in the Court of Desire.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Alex nodded to Violet. "Sorry for bringing it up like that. I'll let people know about the showers, though." He scratched the back of his head, feeling a bit thoughtless for mentioning it before Spring had their own Hollow-warming party, then decidedly turned to Ramona with the air of someone who was trying to avoid interest in the argument behind them.

"Well, it's why the Food is how it is. It's free for anyone to grab and use..." The held his arms out in there full span, feathers spreading to indicate both the fruits and the baked goods. Almost immediately, he tucked them back in against his body, as he added, "I'd put money down on the cakes not being thrown, though. Too delicious to smear on clothes." One of the sad facts about what the Spring Chef wanted, there. "So most of the ammunition is going to be the powders I brought, Kyle's Waterballoons, if he finishes those, and buckets of colored liquid I should get out and set up around those bunkers. Some of the other Greenies brought stuff for themselves, which doesn't really seem fair. But uh... It's not a competition, and the main point it get everyone covered in different colors. Which suits me well enough, I've always wondered what it'd be like to be a parrot." His lips quirked up there, as he resisted laughing at his own joke.

"Accordingly, since everything's being tossed around, all the colors are non-toxic."

A
    AwakeOrangutang

"Why thank you! And actually yeah, it's one from here. Violet wasn't kidding when she said she'd have all shapes and styles. And the funny thing is, it was a hard choice too! Who would've thought being cheap would actually get me really cute results." She did a short spin for a moment, showing off flow of her dress. You didn't get to do that in pants and she didn't have a collection of skirts to do that with. Yeah, perhaps a bit childish, but so sue her. She wanted to show it off before it got covered in paint because she wasn't quite sure what the end result of that was going to be.

She was also learning something about Ramona. She wasn't very exuberant. Not really a grouch but she seemed more guarded with her emotions. She didn't say much and didn't show as much as Ava or Morgan. She supposed that wasn't that bad a thing, she knew she was pretty open about how she felt most of the time and not everyone was like that, but it did mean she had to pay closer attention to puzzle out how she actually felt.

She listened to Alex explaining the holiday sort of thing but she wasn't entirely sure what prompted it. Throwing a bunch of color around? If most holidays were done because of something, normally a past event, then what exactly was Holi going on about? Well there was that whole part about bonfires burning demons, but that was before the color throwing. Maybe to throw their joy in the dead demon's face? ....Ah hell, this really was a Spring holiday.

"A food fight too? Well that's kinda stupid. Why would you want to waste all that for ammo? Why would Mrs. Rosemary want her food used like that. Defeats the purpose of food." Perhaps this was her love with food speaking. Or perhaps it was because before being kidnapped food had been scarce, during her kidnapping food was scarce, and after her kidnapping it was as scarce but she still couldn't splurge on food. She wasn't the type to harp on about the starving kids in Africa, she wasn't that selfless, but it made a bit more difference when you had been on the other side of the food process. Both having it and potentially being it.

And there was Miss LeBlanc talking about private Spring stuff. Spring stuff she wasn't privy to. She certainly hoped she'd send that representative soon, it was really irksome knowing she was close to enjoying those covetous privileges and not actually being able to use them because the Spring Sovereign questioned her motives. And if she denied her, then what? She had tried Summer and found they weren't a good fit and that was her backup plan. What next, the Autumn court? And if she didn't mesh with the Court she actually thought she had a chance of joining, one she actually seemed to agree with, then what chance did she have with a Court she wasn't really in to? No, settle those thoughts. Now was not the time to be questioning her eligibility for the Courts. She said she'd send a representative, so she would wait for representative and not let herself be overrun by doubt.

S
    Saeyer

She couldn't help but grin as Alex put his foot in his mouth, suppressing the desire to laugh as it got worse before it got better. Contented to let it go as he moved on to explaining about the event, and it's connection to a specific holiday, she was a little daunted by the prospect of a color fight that encompassed water, powder, and apparently food. The Scrivener waited quietly as Spring's sovereign spoke to her courtier about some of the finer points; and, apparently Spring was working on its own commons. Who knew what that would look like in the end, but it sounded like they wouldn't be finding out today.

It was actually fairly surreal being so close to Violent LeBlanc for the first time since Ava initially swore her Freehold oath, just after the Fairest had taken the crown. She supposed it was impressive, in its own right, that she had stuck around after that, even if it had looked to outside eyes like there wasn't much to show for it. The combination of her overpowering presence and the raised voices beyond made listening to Alex's next bit of explanation more challenging, but she got the gist.

"Yeah," she admitted with a chuckle at Tessa's comment, "I'm not sure I'm going to be much for the food fight; glad to hear that if some of the color dust gets in the frosting it's not inedible, though." The amount of dye that had gone into that food made it mildly unappealing, but it was easily overcome by her appetite and general respect for Mrs. Rosemary's cooking. "Are there any rules about Contracts?" The question was addressed in equal parts to Alex and Violet. She wasn't really planning on using any herself, she wasn't sure she knew any that would be even remotely applicable; it would be nice to know, though.

Thank you, Alex. That information would have been better disseminated in some sort of news letter, or information packet, or a big warning sign at the entrance to the gardens. But failing all of that, at least one member of the Court of Desire was kind enough to tell them what the hell's going on. She nods to him, as he explains, looking satisfied with her understanding of the event now, if not exactly enthusiastic. It's not a competition, is important to note. I guess it's more about the art, then. How colorful and pretty we'll make things. That instantly ratchets down the tension level. Sure, stuff will probably be thrown, and some stuff will be dodged, but it's not about who can get the most color on somebody else, or who can stay the cleanest. Ava's question is a good one. A better one might be Are there any rules at all? But it matters less to Ramona, now that she knows it isn't a competition.

A little while longer until summer. She'll see what competitions around here are like then, she's sure.

"Wonder what Jackson Pollock would make of something like this," she idly muses.

The Spring Queen did not show her astonishment as someone who was interested in their court would call it stupid. Besides, not only was it Alex’s idea, but their whole Court wanted to do this. “The cakes were intended to be used for fun. Sure, they are still delicious and edible but Mrs. Rosemary made them to be tossed about.”

“This Feast is intended to be safe and fun.” Grinning to Ava. “And that's right, all of the colors are non-toxic yet will still hold in all the white clothing. Chemistry can be amazing at times.” A gentle laugh as she thought of the fun to come soon.

Violet pondered the Nix’s other question but decided to ask before she concluded. “What Contracts were you thinking of?” Winking toward the Windwing. “Besides, as Alex mentioned, the whole intent and purpose of this is for fun. For those times anyone would want to just happily engage in water balloon or food fights. It’s not a competition.” Violet chuckled softly. “We reserve that for Summer’s privilege.”

The Flowering Queen hoped that Alex didn’t pay much attention to some of what they were saying. The events held by Courts after coronations were optional, they all could have chose not to participate. Violet presumed that if they followed the instructions on the notice they would enjoy such an event.

"And I think Jackson Pollock would be thrilled to see this. I'm guessing he would have partaken in the events, oui?" A nod to the Ogre for pulling that excellent piece of artful information.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Alex shrugged at Ava and Tessa's comments about the food fight. As he'd said, he didn't think very many people would relish throwing any Mrs. Rosemary had made for any purpose. and those thoughts prompted him to finish off the grapes he'd grabbed on his way to talk to Ava and Ramona, then pick up a bright green cupcake and took a bite of that. "I do think that the most fun one can have with Mrs. Rosemary's food is eating it, though I can certainly respect her wishes and use some of these to spread color around." He ran his tongue along his teeth, trying to clear it slightly of the frosting.

He wasn't really sure what to say about contracts, and half-turned to Queen Violet, then blushed when she winked at him and brought attention and credence to what he'd said. He wasn't really sure why'd she'd used that gesture, and he fidgeted with the wrapper of his cupcake and tried to push that question from his mind.

Well, at least until Ramona mentioned a name he had no idea about. "Who's Jackson Pollock?" He paused, then shook his head - sending his curly hair bouncing around. "Or I'll just look him up later. If it's alright with all of you, I'm going to work on finishing setting things up?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 3

You do not have permission to view the list of names.