Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Two Businessmen on the River

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last

PRE

The finer tier of Sacramento's many docking locations caters to those with money and influence. Yachting enthusiasts and celebrities of all calibers seem to be drawn to night lights and beautiful views. Gerald considers himself a little of both - he loves to sail and he's certainly causing a stir within the Domain. Not all of the attention is positive, true, but Gerald had expected push-back since he first showed his face in Court.

Wearing a Carthian pin on his lapel.

That night he had both literally and physically worn his covenant on the outside for all to see. Tonight, and every night from now on, he won't have to try so hard to be recognized. Word will travel quickly of his appointment in power and responsibility. This much, he is sure of.

He waits patiently on a bench in a well lit area for Konrad to show up. Gerald, with his knees spread wide and his cane propped up in the middle, looks quite pleased. It is a gorgeous night for a cruise and the night is young. The only thing missing now the Savage Priscus. I really do spend a lot of time around Prisci.

I've Done Things... Bad Things.

Domain Status (Bloodhunted)
    Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

After hiding his van in one of the alleys, Konrad walks the remaining distance to the the docks where he's planned to meet with Gerald Baker, one Prefect of the Carthian Movement of which Konrad held membership.

It isn't a formal Carthian gathering, just two men who have similar interests and a similar trade. Konrad wears a thin black hoodie and jeans, nothing so formal as the suit he had on during their last encounter. He approaches and finds the familiar figure on the bench.

The Beast in Konrad wells up in him, demanding Konrad lunge at the weak prey to destroy every sign of its presence. And Konrad listens to its demands, weighing the choice carefully. But it does not sit within his plan, nor is he all that certain he could manage the feat. He knew very little of Gerald beyond his Clan and Covenant. Such things do not make a Kindred what they are. This meeting is such a chance to learn more about his business associate.

"Yo, Baker, what's with the cane?" says Konrad, still at a distance. "You hurt your leg or something?" Unlikely. Somehow the modern-day scepter suited the pompous Lord. But the thing could just as easily function as a weapon, or hide a weapon. Gerald boasted such connections before so it is entirely feasible.

PRE

Spotting Konrad in the distance, Gerald's territorial cat of a Beast makes itself known as well. But it's buried deep in the back of the Lord's mind, where it belongs. Konrad's is a familiar face which takes much less effort for Gerald to convince his Passenger not to rend and maim. He rises in a leisurely fashion, stretching his back and shoulders a little as he does. He glances to and fro for a moment, and it appears no one else is close by. A footnote of caution in an otherwise calm and pleasant evening.

"There you are, Konrad. What, this?" he says, indicating the cane by lightly shaking it in his grip. "You don't like it? It's a status symbol, of sorts. And," he pushes up on the crystal top with his thumb, revealing a fraction of an inch of the cold, steel blade "An enforcer of that status. One can never be too careful in our line of work." he says, matter-of-factly, grinning lightly. Gerald's demeanor is probably something of an anomaly by now: in public he's a braggart, in Carthian space he is formal... and in the vicinity of his boat he is relaxed. The 'Gerald' version of relaxed, for sure, but still much more so than his nights in Elysium. His bluster seems muted by his apparent comfort to be in the vicinity of his Haven.

"Mine is just down there, at the end of the pier. She is ready to head out when you we are."

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

Konrad eyes the steel with a frown and a twitch of his cheek muscle that might have been the reflex of a sneer. "Nah, it's fine," he lies. One can never be too careful, true. But Konrad's legs worked just as well on in water as on land and an escape remained possible as long as Gerald knew to keep his blade sheathed.

"Ready as ever," remarks Konrad at Baker's invitation and would follow him, walking a couple feet beside the Lord though half a step behind.

"I had a bit of an interest in boats when I first came here. I noticed all the marinas and thought it might come in handy. When'd you get yours?" he asks curiously.

PRE

Gerald nods, and continues on. Walking in no particular hurry. The night air is cool and pleasant.

"Recently. Purchased her all the way down in San Diego. Bit of a trip coming this far up river." He glances back over his shoulder with an inquisitive brow arched. "Are you in the market for one?

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"Not yet, but eventually, yeah," replies Konrad in much the same casual way. "Long way down the list though. Seems like there's always more pressing investments. Like this acquisition of ours. It's going to take a bit to save up for it. And even when we get the property we'll either have to start buying cargo containers or leasing them for shipments. But once we've got our own it'll make smuggling a cinch."

Konrad spares only a cursory glance around, believing their location to be a safe place to talk about their criminal activities.

PRE

"Well, when you get the chance, I recommend looking into Warwick. The company is based in Turkey, but the designer is from New Zealand." he adds, speaking with confidence in his choice. "I've given thought to the idea. I've got a considerable amount of capital already, though not on par with a purchase like that. I believe smugglers might be a good place to look for trade even before we get that far. Set them up with the right people and charge an 'agent' fee. With the frequency of shipments going in and out, those small fees will add up."

The elegant blue profile grows steadily in the distance, with white accents and a single light on the mast. Gerald had spared himself the temptation to write her name in deep red lettering - much to risque for those who like to keep the Masquerade intact.

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"Oh, I've got plenty of smugglers lined up, and the prospect of expansion in that department. I just need the means, the hardware, the legitimate cover. But you're right, we aught to consider how to hide the illegitimate income once we get up and running."

Konrad looks over the boat they're approaching. It's an impressive size for what he was expecting. "Huh, very nice, Baker. How much did one of these go for?" Looked like the sort of ship that might even take on deeper waters.

PRE

"Good to hear." he says, gears in his head turning over the application of Konrad's expertise with his own. He has enough on his plate keeping track of his own revenue, though; he may need to scrap some of his current projects to think bigger. Bigger and bolder.

Impressive it is, at nearly 82 feet in length. If the cabin were even half as long, it could easily have cost Gerald a couple million. "Thank you. I admit, the seller was asking for much more than the price range I had in mind. Eventually I talked him down to a quarter." He doesn't directly imply it, but he may have had to use more than just mundane bargaining to get it for so little.

Their walk takes them finally down a set of stairs to the section below a few feet above water level. The hull of the thing soon swells to fill their view, and Gerald gestures for Konrad to go ahead of him. "Please, go on up. I'l need your help to get the mooring back aboard." The Sea King walks over to the first cleat and pulls the eye of the line free.

"Go head and pull it in... try not to let it fall in the water!" he shouts from the pier. With that one done, he walks brusquely to the other end and repeats the process, waiting for Konrad before pulling it free. As soon as the second line leaves his hand, he practically sprints, cane waggling in the air, and makes a solid hop over the two foot gap. He lands on the deck, straightens the lapels of his coat, and smiles.

OOC

Konrad is no sailor, but he understands what Gerald is telling him well enough. The Savage boards the vessel as instructed and begins pulling the rope as Gerald releases each line, not sure why he had to avoid getting it wet. When the Lord hops onboard Konrad gives him a look. "How do you manage to sail this thing by yourself? Seems like at least a two man job." But then a Kindred might be able to manage it.

"Ah well, anyways, what's next? Unfurl the sails or does this thing have an engine?" If he tells me to batten down the hatches...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread