Watch

(1504) Josie and the Pussycat

THREADID
    I've Done Things... Bad Things.

Domain Status (Bloodhunted)
    Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

Konrad continues, folding his arms about his chest comfortably. "You know, I've always had a tough time swallowing the concept of Faith. But for some reason it's a lot easier to hold in my head if I replace the idea of God with, oh, something like Lady Luck. I mean, most cases you gotta take action in order to get anywhere, but sometimes you just gotta leave it to chance. Risk and reward and that kind of thing. Maybe it's easier for me because it doesn't change my value in the equation. But something like God is...well, it just doesn't work the same way does it?"

They're not at church, but there's nothing wrong with talking philosophy. Of course it is always a perilous dance when engaging in topics like religion.

2. Likes Cayce liked this post

PRE

"If you're more comfortable with female iconography you could always envision what is sometimes named Sophia, the manifestation of God's Wisdom, often experienced through shekinah," Josephine offered, still sporting that mild smile.

"But no, I take it that you mean something else entirely. One such as you, though not arrogant, I would say, does not bend the knee easily. Now, a concept such as God does demand submission, but you should realize that there is actually strength and agency to be found therein. Allow me to pose it to you like this? Which do you think is stronger: a woman who, seeing boulders fall to crush her, watches on with quiet acceptance, or a man who screams in impotent rejection of his fate just before he is crushed?"

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

"Sophia, eh? Don't think I've heard of her before. But yeah, something else, more of an expression really than gender-specific."

He considers the scenario next, curiously, putting thumb and forefinger to his chin with a show of thought. "Huh, just those two, eh? Neither really seems all that strong to me. They're both dead either way. I guess you're saying that how somebody faces death is a sign of strength? Seeing it that way...I guess they're both strong. I mean, you'd have to be pretty strong-willed not to scream at a sight like that. But at least the fella did something. A scream might call for help or, oh, I dunno, maybe the scream itself would break that boulder into tiny pieces. Heh, well not really."

The thoughtful look goes away and his smile fades. "So, what's that got to do with Faith? Accepting the end without a fight? Or something like facing death with dignity knowing you've got a seat waiting for you on 'the other side'?"

5. Likes Cayce liked this post

PRE

"Ah, well, see, that's the thing. Sophia is perhaps not differentiated from God, and yet there is some evidence in the Hebrew Bible that Sophia is indeed a separate manifestation of God. After all, being omnipotent who is to say that god must exist as one discrete entity? There is debate among theologians. I tend to favor the idea that Sophia exists as a specific manifestation of God, but that is just preference either way, it is still God.

"As for my example, however,"
    Josephine related, "I would say that true strength is being able to accept ones frailty and fallibility. After all, no matter how fervently declare that we are lords of the night, there will always be those who are older, who are stronger, who are smarter, and who have more allies than we do. And, even if there were not, there is always the sun, as well as the rest of nature. All suffered in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, no matter if they were Prince or poacher. I know, for I spoke with a survivor from that Domain when I visited Chicago. Thus, my point is, true strength is being able to accept that we are weak. In the parable with the boulders, the man's shout is actually an admittance of his inability to cope with that weakness. His inability to cope with powerlessness. The woman, however, was able to accept it, and ultimately faced less pain. Think of it like so: in a storm, it is that which is able to bend which best weathers it, rather than the oak which, no matter how tall and strong, finds itself shattered by wind, water, or lightning. Such is one of the lessons of faith. The faithful acknowledge that they are fallible, and frail, and instead of feel anguish over such, they submit to that knowledge and allow it to guide them so that rather than define them, it can instead teach them. If you did not know the ways in which you were weak, you would likely never grow past the weakness, after all.

"So, in relation to my faith, God is the dominant power that grants wisdom, and purpose. God is that which I must submit to. God is what grants me knowledge of my weakness, of my fallibility and frailty, and through the knowledge I become strong. It is also through that knowledge that I am granted a purpose, a purpose which lends me agency, rather than bind me. If I walk a path, I am progressing towards something. If, instead, I am wandering lost in the desert, it does not matter how free I am for there is nothing for me accomplish. Or, at least those are some thoughts on the matter,"
    she remarked with a graceful nod. "What of yours?"

7. Likes Vassagon liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

For all the depth of information that issues forth from Josephine, Konrad is reminded of Martha, the Kindred woman who acknowledged him into the Domain. She too brought a wealth of knowledge into the conversation reminding Konrad of how little he knew of the learned world. This is no different as the Ventrue Priscus brandished her own perspective of religious lore and philosophy.

Konrad nods in a limited display of understanding. After a while he dumbs it down to, "Know your limits, I take it."

When she poses her question he unfolds his hands and instead stuffs them into his pockets. "But that's interesting, the question of purpose. As you know, I recently joined the Movement. The reason for that is because they've got this policy about members staying motivated and active in their Requiems. They, well, I mean we also uphold a policy of tolerance for personal beliefs. So long as something keeps Kindred full of purpose we're happy to accommodate them."

"Anyways, you asked about my own thoughts on Faith. I think it's great to know your own weaknesses. Keeps people from getting too full of themselves. There's lots of dangers out there, like you said, the sun and nature and what have you. For me, survival is my main concern, so keeping an eye out for those dangers is business as usual. I know that it's not always going to work out, but if I were to put myself in your example I couldn't say which one I'd be. I'd like to think I can keep a cool head under pressure. Truth is screaming doesn't help one bit. You should use every second you've got left on the world trying to think of a way to come out of it alive or whatever. Maybe that's the same as screaming, I dunno, the helpless struggle, instinct and intuition. Things like God and wisdom, well, maybe it's harder to see that influence if I'm not looking." He shrugs, a light flexing of shoulder muscle.

"But then if knowing God better helps me out, then I don't see the harm in it."

9. Likes Cayce liked this post

PRE

"I think you'd be surprised how hard it is to see God, or God's wisdom, even if you are looking. There is a reason why an entire covenant is devoted to it, after all, and it's not just because we, or God, desires pointless worship. That said, I will be most pleased to see you at the Mass. I intend to speak precisely about the Purpose that is lent to us, so perhaps it shall be enlightening for you. Given your propensity to traffic with criminals and those with ill intent, I do believe you'll find it interesting, if nothing else," Josephine replied with a fond smile.

"For now, though, I do believe that the night is fleeing fast, so I will bid you adieu, and wish you bloody nights." The scarlet clad figure dipped a light curtsey, and then waited for his goodbye.

11. Likes Vassagon liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"Great, I look forward to it. Might give us Carthians something to think about."

As Josephine expresses her intent to leave, Konrad dips her a deep nod that might count for a meager bow. "Same for you, Priscus. Good talking to you." His eyes linger, perhaps sacrilegiously upon the departing scarlet form as she departs. Maybe he misjudged her character before. He hadn't expected to get so drawn into the conversation when he first approached the Ventrue. Guess that is what keeping an open mind is all about.

Konrad returns to the main thread

13. Likes Cayce liked this post

Jojo exits the thread

Closed Thread