Ended
Watch

(1504) Movement at the Sterling

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
    M
    Matrixchild

Marco took just a little bit of pleasure with Gerald's silent expression at him announcing his intent to at least entertain the idea of himself as Prefect. Not out of malice of course, purely because conflict can be fun. As he listens to Konrad moan and groan like he's never been a part of an adult conversation Marco removes the watch from his wrist. It looked significant in value when really it was a watch he had conned off of an old man in Miami. It did mean something to Marco though, at least in sentimental value. Enjoying the spoils of work was really the best part of well...the job if you could call it one. Marco held his hand out and accepted what Konrad offered, giving him a nod as a show of thanks. Hearing Gerald speak was intriguing though. One could tell he had many inner thoughts racing around in head and yet he kept his tone professional and formal. At least I know he would take the job of Prefect seriously instead of merely as a power grab. He would remember the sincerity for later, it may come in handy.

I've Done Things... Bad Things.

Domain Status (Bloodhunted)
    Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

If you say so, thinks Konrad. Seeing how these men claimed to be more experienced in Carthian matters he could only take their word for it.

The explanation of the Chain makes more sense to the Savage as he deigns to listen. As symbolic as it is made out to be, Konrad sees the act of handing over a possession to a fellow member to be a kind of leverage, giving up control and in turn being trusted with control over another. "Huh, wish you had mentioned that in the flyer. I've got some stuff in my van I could get. I don't carry anything I don't use. Guess that means I'm not very sentimental. But for the purpose of this ritual, I've got these." Konrad takes out a bound felt roll of cloth.

"Lockpicks, never leave home without them." More useful than a timepiece or compass, least in the city. And it also spoke of a greater commitment than the others were offering, at least in his own opinion. He doubted he could even sell the thing for two nickles to rub together.

As he takes Gerald's compass, Konrad passes the lockpicks to Marco, trusting that he will return them at the next meeting.

"The Chain is forged. Now, can we get on to business? I've got something to say to start us off. Before Ashley went into hiding we had a talk over the future of the Carthian Movement here in Sacramento. She made the suggestion to me that the Carthians establish themselves in South Sacramento, creating a location that we can call our own and nurture future members of the Covenant. I'm planning on putting together my resources to purchase a functioning shipping business at the Port of Sacramento. It's a centralized location and will make use of my connections and any connections gained among us. As I understand the philosophy of the Carthian Movement, we follow the movement of the Kine and progress alongside them. Taking the Port we can control and monitor the flow of goods into the city as well as give us a location where we can grow. I intend to pursue this agenda and I'd like some help. Doesn't have to be right away. I realize, Marco, that you're still a fresh face to the city. Even if I'm the only one to work towards this I'll gladly share the location as a resource with my fellow Carthians."

Start with words, follow up with action.

"I mean, no one's going to take us seriously if we're renting out the back room at a Hotel. So think it over and let me know if you're interested. It would require that you acquire Tenancy in that Region, but if you can't manage that much then maybe you're content thinking small potatoes."

Konrad lends his Lockpicks •(automobiles, +1 Larceny rolls) to Marco

PRE

Gerald looks impressed as he regards Konrad. "The Port of Sacramento? Konrad, that would be perfect. You know... I own and maintain a small yacht. It would be nice to be able to dock it in a place we control. Some place free of opportunists." He can't help but smile. Ironic, no? Gerald, himself, is an opportunist. A thief and murderer as well. But there is more to what Konrad has to say that grips his interest.

"I know you and I have discussed assisting each other in matters of business, but controlling a small portion of the city's commerce is... ambitious. I, for one, like this plan. I won't offer hollow words of support, either; I will help you pursue this goal. I have been working at a chance to be granted Tenancy. Quite hard, in fact." I've been spreading myself thin, frankly. Everyone seems to have some trouble they need assistance with. He levels his gaze with Marco, who had been silent since they performed the rite of the Chain.

"What are your thoughts on the matter?"

M
    Matrixchild

Marco listened intently to Konrad's presentment of his plan. He brought his hand up to his chin and paused for a moment. "I actually think it's a brilliant plan. I know the other covenants don't take us Carthians seriously, it's been like that for many years. If we want more kindred to join our ranks we need to show we have a solid base on which to grow. I of course have thought of the Carthians rising from the depths of obscurity since the moment I got here and I am both amazed and pleased to find two fellow kindred with the same idea. I will put any effort I can into furthering this goal. Tell me what you need from me and I will seek out the way to make it a reality," he finished showing both of him a pleased grin. "Together we might just show the rest of them that they don't hold all the cards in this game."

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

"A boat enthusiast, eh? Thanks, I'm glad to hear Ashley's plan is well received. With the three of us pooling resources we shouldn't have any issue actually putting down roots at the docks. I've looked into the land holdings and opportunities and there's a lot of room for investors to acquire holdings for warfage and shipping cargo. To start we can do a joint investment with equal shares of the company. I have a Ghoul who may be able to manage the business during daily operations. We could even put the business license in his name in case the rest of us can't actually prove our identities."

Konrad folds his arms. "Then there's just the matter of Tenancy. I agree, it's a tough task to prove yourself, and the Regent of South Sacramento has disappeared. We may have to appeal directly to the Prince. With the current power vacuum this is our best chance to seize it. We gotta prove to the Prince we're not here to cause trouble and that we can be of help to him. Which means getting along with each other and doing this right."

He looks to Marco next. "You're lucky you've been lumped with a couple of ambitious bastards then, Marco," he says with a smirk and a light chuckle, appreciating the familiar metaphor the man provides.

"Anyways, just keep that in mind for now as a short term goal. Speak of which..." Konrad looks to Gerald. "Tell me about the Four Core Carthian beliefs, specifically the 'mission' and 'position'. Ashley didn't get very far to explain it, but I feel like that's something I want us to focus on as we establish ourselves."

6. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post

PRE

"An excellent point, Marco. Our numbers are far too small." That beguiling wench from Court said as much. "If we are going to be noticed in the right ways, we will need to keep recruitment efforts high. As it is, we scarcely have a large enough group for a proper consensus." He looks between the two men, shaking his head lightly for emphasis. "A split vote on our potential Prefect comes to mind. How would we decide fairly?"

Gerald grins knowingly at the Savage. Is he thanking us for liking Ashley's idea? Just how close did Konrad get to her? But such thoughts can be entertained later. He focuses, instead, on the steps Konrad has taken towards realizing this goal.

"A Ghoul, you say? Good... some daytime security and all that. It is also good to know we have a name to put it under. I've some paperwork in progress, but solid documentation will likely take more time." The gears in his head turn a little, and he looks at Konrad thoughtfully. "Though if I am able to procure a seamless identity before one of us is granted Tenancy I may just volunteer to sign the license myself. You might be able to appreciate the applications of controlling most of the city's maritime revenue." He smiles at the fellow business man.

Konrad's next inquiry is a valid one; further defining their purpose in Sacramento would set them all on the right path. Especially one as new to the covenant as Konrad. "Very well. I will do what I can to enlighten you. 'Mission' and 'position'' fall under the fourth core belief, which we call 'the duty to be a complete being'. Long-winded, yes, but it is essentially about individual philosophy and identity. Your 'position', as a Carthian, is what calls to you. Much in the same way the Dragons call to many of the more... experimental Kindred. It is your purpose in unlife. Assuming, of course, that you have a purpose beyond gorging yourself on blood. 'Mission' represents action. What you will do to make your ideology manifest. You could call it 'putting your money where your mouth is'." He pauses to regard Konrad approvingly. "Like your plan of action for acquiring use of the Port."

Feeling encouraged by the steam generated from his first explanation, Gerald looks to the Daeva. "The first core belief - which is a good example of why membership is so important - is 'tolerance within reason'. Part of being Carthian is clinging to your own set of beliefs which may, if you will forgive me for using you as an example," he indicates Marco first with his open hand, then Konrad, "be different from his. As far off as the East is from the West. Yet, as Carthians, we accept that the others have different ideas. If we had chosen the Lancea et Sanctum, differences in opinion might be stifling. They would likely exile the maverick and label him a heretic. Tolerance keeps us all on the same team, even if we play the sport differently." Merde. Do I even believe half of the things is say in the name of the Movement? I feel like a fucking Collectivist.

He'd given them a lot to chew over, but his own curiosity begins to gnaw at him. Marco had claimed to have come from a Carthian Domain. What are his interpretations on their core beliefs? How deeply has the Movement's philosophy seeped in to his Requiem?

"Would you care to explain the other two, Marco?"

M
    Matrixchild

Marco smiled at the mention of the Prefect position. The debate on Prefect will come later, now we most work together, he thinks to himself.

He doesn't concern himself as much with the talk of tenancy and name's on the license. Marco never did like being too connected to a name. They'll sort out the logistics, I'll just try and drum up support, both within the Kindred community and through human connections.

He listened intently to Gerald's explanation of two of the principles to Konrad. He hadn't realized that Konrad knew so little of the covenant. His surprised was to be expected though, he had spent so much time surrounded by Carthians that he was still trying to wrap his mind around such a small covenant.

Suddenly, Marco was addressed and he straightened up and smiled. "Certainly Gerald. I think you helped Konrad gain a solid understanding of those two principles." He then turned to Konrad. "Now there are two more principles, collective action and individual rights."

"The first, collective action, goes towards what's already been said, strength in numbers. You see, only through working together, for one goal, can we actually challenge the older, more established members of the other covenants. No one kindred can challenge say,
    the entire First Estate, or the Prince as their Judex for that matter. But together, unified, working as a collective, we can topple the old and make way for the new. This collective attitude also creates a community between kindred. As we probably all know to some extent or another, most kindred take advantage of your mistakes. The Carthians strive to create a community that understands we all make mistakes and that when you do you have brothers and sisters there to pick you up and help you without holding it over your head."

He paused before continuing to give Konrad, and Gerald, a moment to take in what he'd said. "The second principle, individual rights, is the idea that outside of your duties as a Carthian we are all free to have our own goals, hobbies, and motivations. If your plan doesn't endanger the Movement, then there's no reason for the Movement to get involved. In many covenants they try very hard to control those below them to the point where everything they do is a secret because you'd be shunned for having your own goals when everyone knows it's every kindred out for themselves. We Carthians are different, we encourage people to have their own desires, as long as they don't put what we all have worked so hard for at risk. It's a principle founded in human ideas like the freedom or the pursuit of happiness."

He turned back to Gerald when he was done, "Is there anything I left out?"

Blood Potency
    ●●
    Presence: Bewitching ●●●●●
    Striking Looks: Tempting ●●●●
    Distinct Voice: Honeyed ●●●●
    Velma Star

PRE

First there was the unmistakable sound of a Ferrari’s engine stopping to park by the Sterling’s entrance. From inside the roaring machine Velma appeared, dressed in black with a single swoosh of red in the sole of her Louboutins, a dash of perfection and elegance amidst the smooth and no less expensive fabrics of her little black dress.

Perfectly sculpted legs took the Succubus to where the meeting of the Carthian movement was supposed to be happening. She delivered the car keys to the valet and then texted:

Asa

Attending the Carthian meeting, will have news soon!

And then she pressed send.

A moment later there was Velma Star entering the room, her beast protesting but her smile unfettered and unshakable. Cold blue eyes take a moment to look to each one of the three, her smile widens when she is done appraising them and her beast is done revolving in its steel chains.

So this is the unstoppable freight train?

”Good evening gentlemen!” Her hand is holding a piece of paper, apparently the invitation left at the Nox.
    Velma Star*
    STATUS CITY: Harpy ●●● | STATUS DAEVA: ● | STATUS INVICTUS: Lady ●●

10. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

A business license will be worthless without Tenancy, moron. Don't put the cart before the horse, thinks Konrad as Gerald offers to put everything under his own name. It isn't worth bringing it up further. As long as they were motivated to work towards the result of joint ownership then they could hash out the details along the way. Konrad would find a way to come out on top.

Konrad listens to the familiar description of the Four Beliefs. He already knew generally about them, and while it is nice to get clarification on those points, he mostly wishes to remind them of these tenets as they are what attracted Konrad originally to the Covenant. Plus their descriptions give Konrad a little insight into their own personal interpretations.

"Tolerance within reason, collective action, individual rights, and individual purpose," repeats Konrad summarily. "Thanks for clearing that up for me. Well then. If that's the case, how about we go around the Chain and each share our Mission and Position with each other? If we're going to be working together to establish a working Covenant we should at least be aware of each other's motivations."

Konrad is about to share his own stance on a Mission and Position when a new form appears in the entryway. Konrad's Beast seethes at the interruption by the newest challenger. Though he has seen her several times about Court, Konrad has yet had a chance to exchange words with the former Harpy. How ostentatious that she should appear here at the Carthian Meeting.

Isn't she Invictus? Rina's mentioned her before. I wonder if she knows about our arrangement, thinks Konrad with a wary stare.

"Velma Star," states Konrad slowly with what one might describe a friendly smirk. "Good evening to you too. To what do we owe the pleasure?" Konrad separates himself from the group of men, standing before them to intercept Velma's approach. "We haven't met directly before. I'm Konrad Roth, newest member of the Carthian Movement. And here behind me is Marco and Gerald," he indicates with the jerk of a thumb over his shoulder. If she really is a former Harpy then she already knows that much and more, but there can be things said about appearances.

12. Likes Wod.Infant liked this post

PRE

Gerald dips his head towards Marco as the man assumes the speaking role. If, though, his hopes were to hear stories of triumph through adherence to the core beliefs, he would have been let down. Tragic. There is enough information conveyed for an initiate to get a sense of how Carthians operate, it is just simply that: information. His imagination will simply have to fill in the rest. Maybe he could just ask the man about it, later.

He offers Marco a little shrug and a nod. "I believe that covers it." He then turns and regards Konrad for a moment, looking for feedback. He gets it in the form of a question - and an opportunity to talk about himself. His favorite subject, of course. He begins going over the most clever ways to describe his views on mission and position in his head, waiting to see if one of the others would go first. However, the next voice to speak is a familiar honey laced with venom. It is all Gerald can do to not shudder as recognition dawns.

He turns, slowly, wearing a neutral expression, to greet the speaker with his eyes. A polite smile slowly forms on his face, portraying the very image of courtesy. After all: it had been an open invitation. Gerald has danced enough of the Danse to know that now is no time to be seen as childish and weak. I will repay her 'kind' words some day. But not here. Not on the welcome mat of my own covenant.

Gerald's eyes almost sparkle with delight as Konrad solves the mystery of her identity. Her name is Velma, and Gerald might even venture to call her 'Ms. Star'. "She and I have met, briefly. You look well, Ms. Star." If I wasn't so concerned with appearances, I would take great pleasure in marring that pretty face of yours. Another smile. "To what do we owe the pleasure of your company?"

Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread