Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(0315) Alex and Rick...and Maybe Terri

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    L

Or before someone else came to talk to them, as it turned out. Not that he minded. There was still plenty of time to get the pledge renewed eventually. And he had been meaning to meet Alex, eventually. If for no other reason than their shared avian tendencies.

"It is. And no, not interrupting at all, it's nice to meet you. And that was a pretty good recommendation, I'm fairly well-versed in just about everything concerning the Hedge. Last Autumn I even covered Hedge-shaping, and dueling, for a self-defense symposium the court hosted."

He shoots Terri a smile as he finishes speaking, loosening his arm a bit but not freeing it. He's not quite sure whether she still intended to head over towards the bar, or wanted stay here to chat.

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Alex's smile grew relieved and larger. "I'm glad to hear it!" He swung a hand out to his side, only for the gesture to be immediately followed by a sharp grasp and a quick readjustment. He'd almost sent all of Mrs. Rosemary's food flying. "Heheh... that was close, almost started a food fight early. Either of you want some? Though, really, I am definitely glad to hear that I didn't do something ridiculous like go up to the wrong person, especially Since Ava seems the sort to know who she's recommending. What with Morgan calling her Scrivener an' all. Plus, I'd been curious about talking to you even before that - well, similarities, ya know?" Alex waved his hand-wing between himself and Rick before popping a bite of food into his mouth. His eyes fluttered closed as he chewed, then snapped open after he swallowed, immediately picking up mostly where he left off, despite his eyebrows drawing together in puzzlement.

"I can't quite decide if I regret not talking to you at the Valentine's event or not, but like I told Terri at the Quicksilver Gate when I met her there - Wait, did I tell you when I saw you? Uh- But you two seemed busier then anyway. But, but Hedge stuff, right. So! I'm not really sure if it counts as part of hedge-shaping or not, really, but I'm mostly interested in learning about Modifying Hollows and developing Wards. Initially it was going to be for myself, but then - Well, Court stuff, I'd like to contribute, yeah?" He briefly ducked his head and scuffed his toe against the ground, then selected a larger morsel from his plate.

He paused, before biting into it, and realized he'd been babbling largely in Rick's direction, then shifted his gaze to Terri. "Oh, how's business been, since I mentioned it?" And then he bite into the delightful tart with a deliberation that clearly conveyed that he was eating it to give the other two time to respond.

L

"I'll grab something to eat later, probably, but i"m fine for now, thanks for offering though." And there's a chuckle at the mention of similarities, the same thoughts had certainly crossed his mind as well. Hardly surprising, he supposed. "Yeah, I certainly hear you there."

"And Hedge-shaping certainly could be used when it comes to Hollows. It'd be a method of...construction, basically. It may be easier or harder than more mundane methods of it; depending on how good you are with tools, strength of one's Wyrd, what exactly you're trying to do, etc. Though with wards it also depend son what kind you're trying to set up. Sometimes people aim for mechanical traps, sometimes they go for something more...esoteric."

Interested in learning for the Court, though. It sounded like, perhaps, Spring might be setting up a commons of their own. And he couldn't quite help but idly wonder whether that might become a widespread thing amongst the courts now.

Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

Terri stayed with Rick as Alex ambushed them, offering the Windwing a warm and welcoming smile. At offer of some food, Terri did indulge, trying a small morsel and popping it in her mouth, chewing slowly so as to savour every moment. It really was perfection! Like she expected anything else? Perhaps after getting over tonight, she and Rick could visit for dinner.

Listening to the conversation between Rick and Alex, Terri took another. They really were good even if she was going to have to spend more time on her morning jog tomorrow.
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)
    Presence 4 (Friendly)|Striking Looks 2 (Petite & Cute)

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Alex smiled each time Terri took some of the food from his plate, but other than that he payed more attention to Rick. "It's tied to - Oh. hmm. How strong o you have to be, to shape it like that? I'm kind of Awful with, uh, with the more typical Mundane methods, but I might not be strong enough to even use Hedge shaping." He gave a small sound bordering on frustration, then sighed. He'd figure something out - he was good with creatures if nothing else, and a lot of the more noisy skittish ones could act as a suitable early warning.

"Though, I am curious, what's easier to set up, mechanical traps or esoteric things? How would an esoteric defense work?"

L

"Any Changeling can shape the Hedge. They all have the capacity to use their Wyrd to attempt to enforce their conscious will upon it. The strength of one's Wyrd simply determines how easily they can do it. Someone freshly escaped from Arcadia will struggle where someone who's stronger in the Wyrd will be able to manage it much more consistently." He offers a slight shrug, "It might be more frustrating to do things that way for some than others, but all of our kind can do it."

And then there were the wards. Honestly, what he considered the most important part of a Hollow. You could make them as large, and as comfortable, as you wanted. But that didn't matter much if anything and everything that wandered through the Hedge could swing by. "What kind of ward is easier to set up...depends on the person as well. Though I think every Hollow should have a mixture of both, just because of all the various things creeping through the Hedge. Something might be able to unravel any mystical defense you set up, but not notice the camouflage placed over a path leading to a hollow. Or vice versa."

"And the more mystical wards that I use tend to be bargains, like most magic we use is. Offering something to the Hedge in return for it's...assistance. There are a few such pacts set up long ago, that can yet be called upon."

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Alex tilted his head and chuckled. "Well, considering I risk disaster every time I try to make things, I think I'll have more luck with the shaping, even it is a slow process." He rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand and smiled with a touch of embarrassment.

He nodded eagerly though, as Rick described different Wards and defensive measures. "Yeah, I've been thinking along the lines of seeing if I can get a flock or of bird-like hedgebeasts to settle around the Hollow. I figure if they fly off or gets quiet, it's a good sign Something's Coming. More of an early warning than proper defense, I guess." He scrunched up his nose, then shrugged. "The Pacts reminds me of a person I knew. They always knew when someone'd been to their home, and a bunch of other things too."

Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

Nodding alone, Terri simply smiled as she ate (politely) from Alex's plate, always impressed with Rick's knowledge of the esoteric. To be fair, most of the details of their Hollow was down to his understandings of just what would protect them and still keep the treehouse fundamentally what it was; a cozy haven away from the mundane, and somewhere she could work on all her cool raiment designs.

"If there are a bunch of you going at creating the perfect place," Terri added, swallowing before speaking, "I would definitely share the load. It can be a lot of hard work when working on your own, Alex. Some protection, for example, doesn't merely have to be physically imposing. It could be off-putting, something that makes a would-be intruder think twice before trying to enter without invitation. A lingering fragrance that overpowers the mind or a distinct sound could also work. Ever think twice when you hear a buzzing bee? O know I have!" she laughed, winking.
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)
    Presence 4 (Friendly)|Striking Looks 2 (Petite & Cute)

L

Rick found himself nodding slightly as Terri went into her own explanation. "She's right, just about anything you can think of that can act as a deterrent could be useful." He also can't quite help but smile at her as an arm wraps comfortably about her waist. He'd certainly never stopped appreciating all the touches and contributions she'd added to their home. "And it definitely is easier, and more rewarding, when you have someone else helping you out with things."

Stephanie Lane-Huang
    Pepper

Presence 3 (subdued)
    Silver Ladder Status 2
    Consilium Status 2
    Acanthus 2

Alex nodded eagerly. "I'm excited about it, not to mention showing it off when it's done and - Well. And thanks, Terri, that's some easy advise I can probably follow." He grinned, then glanced around. "I have a feeling that this is one of those topics people could talk for ages about. I've got enough to help me for now, though, if you had anything else you wanted to do this evening."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread