Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(2015 SVD) Rick & L'aire

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    S
    Sasha

The Fairest was a little caught off guard. She thought that the Cleareyes would have just accompanied Terri. After what she’d semi witnessed the other day, L’aire figured they may be inseparable for a little while. Although, the Dancer wasn’t familiar with rekindling of things.

“Hi Rick.” Smiling slightly as he complimented her gown. “Thank you kindly.” Although she’d really just grabbed the first red longer dress she saw, but he didn’t need to know that.

Nodding, “Yes, she did.” Her violet eyes moved through the Blue Note, finally settling enough to notice all the decorum. More reminders of what was missing, literally. She waved to Degnar as he nodded and walked by. The same was for Gregory .

“Very unexpected.” L’aire let it sort of slip out of her lips by accident. “I suppose with certain things going on, a masquerade was probably not a good idea.” She’d at least come to terms with that before Winter was upon them. Fear would take the fun out of everything.

The Dancer's demeanor was a little more awkward that normal, even for her. Of course, she'd left the tree house on an awkward note, then there was the whole set up of the Blue Note. She'd glanced side long down the bar before looking back to the Elemental.

L

"Hmm, can't say I've ever been to a masquerade party thrown by Changelings." It was something, he imagined, that would require more than one mask. After all, even if his face was covered the misted feathers that he sported would be a dead giveaway to anyone even passingly familiar with him. If the physical masks were backed up by those of fae magic, though...then recognizing everybody would become much more difficult.

His gaze flickered briefly, reflexively, to each person she waved at. And again as she glanced down the bar. "Though I can certainly see your point." Especially with that cult full of Fairweather fanatics lurking in the hedge.

Though he's still not entirely sure why L'aire brought masquerades up. "Has the Winter Court hosted masquerades in the past?" And by past, of course, he was referring to the two winters he'd spent away from the Freheold.

S
    Sasha

L’aire’s eyes widened slightly. Oh no… he was missing during that one.

The Dancer could hardly forget that night. She remembers dancing with someone she never thought would be so charming. “Uh.. yeah. Let’s see, um… 2 years ago? I think.” L’aire suddenly felt incredibly insensitive. “I’m sorry, I am um… pretty sure you weren’t around then. I mean, present, or in Sacramento.” Her violet eyes apologetic.

“That was the only masquerade I’ve been to here.” Her bare shoulder shrugged gently. “I’m not sure if one was hosted before I got to town. But, you were here before I was.”

L’aire saw Kyle Ferlen walk in near the champagne, she gave a little wave. Then realized with some disappointment that he probably wouldn’t see her gesture. She quit looking his direction, feeling completely ridiculous, that was evident.

“But yeah, at the time I guess I thought it was fun. The mystery was at least. Although now, in hindsight, I probably should have been more fearful.” L’aire sighed slightly. “Lesson learned, I guess.”

L

Rick waves away the apology...or starts to, and stops just in time to avoid spilling the flute of champagne held in that hand. There's a moment's pause as he ponders the difficulty of that particular gesture with a beverage in both hands. Then he shrugs it away instead. Along with a smile that's only a little bittersweet. "Nah, don't worry about it. I figured it must've been sometime during that period. And, I mean, it's not like I'd been hoping the place had come screeching to a halt while I was gone. This Freehold simply endures, it's one of the great things about it."

That bit of awkwardness after her next wave, this one to someone he doesn't even know, is evident even to him. And perhaps a little bit of inquisitiveness shows on his features...but he lets it pass. Opting instead to focus on what she'd said. "No, don't take that as a lesson. I mean, don't get me wrong. Fear has it's uses, it's values, you should never ignore it. But you can't worry too much, you can't get paranoid. More than one Autumn Courtier has met their downfall because they let fear control them." His former King, HAL, sprang foremost to mind. And he was hardly the only such cautionary tale. "It's a fine line to walk. But nothing bad happened because of that first masquerade, from what I know. They're not inherently too dangerous to hold."

"And the day will come when it'll be safe to have one again."

S
    Sasha

L’aire was beginning to realize that her initial idea of blowing off Terri’s ex husband… not ex? or whatever he is… due to spite of her friend, would have been a bad idea. She really never pictured having any conversations with him… at all. He was a former Sovereign, in fact, she was sure he was when she arrived. The Elemental was turning out to be sort of... brotherly. That too was foreign to her.

She sort of giggled when he nearly spilled the liquid from the glass. It was unexpected to see him do that. God I hope I’m not rubbing off on him. “Yeah, it does. Although, I wasn’t afraid to come back. Well, for the most part.” Her brow furrowed for a moment, then she let it pass.

“It’s easy to be afraid when you’re alone…” The Fairest only half realized she mumbled that aloud before it was too late. “But you’re right. It’s a fine line to walk. Balancing is easy, physically speaking. Balancing the other stuff, not so much.” L’aire wasn’t sure exactly why she said that.

The Dancer felt rambling coming on again, but she attempted to quell it. “What Autumn Courtier met their downfall because of paranoia?” Truly curious, the Winter couldn’t help but ask.

L

He finds himself nodding in agreement with her observations of fear, balance. "It's like that for all the court emotions, really, it's part of the point. They're all beneficial, when you're careful. But they're each a double-edged sword, every one can consume you if you're not careful. And that never ends well."

And then there was her question.

"Horace Albert Liebowitz." The name of the first Autumn Sovereign he'd known in Sacramento, his predecessor, certainly brought some memories rushing back. Memories of his early days of the Freehold, of a more desperate time, and of wearing the crown himself.

"It was back when the Freehold had even more troubles to deal with than we do now. Fairweather was active in the area, and even if we didn't know how great of a threat he posed we did suspect it. The local Hedge was...rebelling, against the actions of a Bridge Burner. You never knew when it might lash out. Not to mention a powerful and twisted Fetch stalking the Hedge." Those had indeed been troubled days. But Tickle had been brought in, Milford had been put down...they'd overcome them in the end.

"For reasons that were never entirely clear HAL grew increasingly worried that there'd be some manner of attack directed specifically at Katrin. He eventually got so paranoid about it that he secretly, and forcefully, used the Contracts of Hours to send her forward in time several months; figuring that it would place her beyond the reach of those who would do her harm. That he did it shortly before Winter's ascension made it even more of a mess, to say the least." No one who'd been present at the coronation would ever forget the clusterfuck that had degenerated into.

"It came to light eventually, of course, and Katrin banished him from the Freehold."

S
    Sasha

The Fairest partially shook her head in confusion. “Wait, Fairweather’s been around before? This whole time?” Her voilet’s blinked, startled at the revelation. “And Tickle too?” She really didn’t know why this was all shocking, but time was not something she had much of a grasp on often.

As the Onyx continued to listen to the Cleareyes go over the information, something piqued her interest in the whole matter. After Rick had finished, she commented. “So, maybe he loved her? Apparently that too can be dangerous…” L’aire breathed and looked to the side, but not really looking at anything.

Maybe Rick left before or was lost because he loved Terri too much. It could have caused them problems at the time. Or something. Maybe that's why someone else left.... doubt it though.

“So, am I possibly too worried?” L’aire thought she should ask. It was less embarrassing to ask him with his experience, than her own Queen presently.

“Maybe when I learn to defend myself better, I won’t be as… concerned.” The Dancer really didn’t know if that would help matters, but maybe the Elemental would.

L

"Fairweather first surfaced around here five years ago, when he bought the Empty Orchestra from the then-King of Spring." Not for the first time, and probably not for the last, he wondered if Fairweather had known how much trouble that sale would end up causing. And how Crunk could possibly have thought it was a good idea. He doubted he'd ever have an answer to either.

"Tickle was actually a resident of Sacramento before I ever was, but he went missing shortly before my arrival. You're familiar with what happened after that though, apparently." Which he actually hadn't been expecting. There weren't many left from the time when Tickle had been a threat. But apparently at least one of them had decided to ensure that it hadn't been forgotten. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Her musings on HAL elicit another shrug from him. Because there...he just really had no idea. "I can't really say what drove him, at the end. No one knew." Not even Mr. Bates, who'd spent as much time with HAL as anyone. "He never really seemed like he was much for romance, but you never know."

"It is possible that you're too worried. Though I can't really say whether or not it's the case. The balance is...healthy caution, I'd say. If someone's consistently too reckless and getting themselves in over their head they're too not paying enough attention to their fear. If it gets to the point where you're continuously not doing things because you're scared, then it's too much. Either way it's probably always worth considering, at least. Balance is a thing that needs to be maintained."

S
    Sasha

“So it’s possible he and his followers have been around longer than that?” Sighing as she breathed in and out, the question was rhetorical.

L’aire shook her head, that was beside the point, really. “Tickle missing? Uh no, but I don’t want you to waste your time on me tonight recounting all of this.” Rick seemed sort of important, considering he was a former Monarch and probably held some substantial title to Autumn.

The last part of the Elemental’s words sunk in, very hard. Her violets were probably telling on which side of the coin her worries lay. L’aire opened her mouth, about to speak, but stopped before a wave of things she was legitimately paranoid about came spewing out of her mouth. The Dancer looked at lettuce at least twice in the store. Though her words were calm, she was definitely holding it all in, for now. “So, how does one find that balance?”

You're at your Court's gathering L'aire. Keep it together...

L

"It's certain that he was around longer than that. He made a name for himself as a business mogul before he ever came to Sacramento." The Dragon of the Free Market, he'd been called. Not that Rick ever really felt like giving him and his ilk the satisfaction of using their titles when he could avoid it.

"But finding that balance...it's about knowing yourself, really. Facing your fears, and knowing that you can do that can prevent you from being controlled by them. Knowing your limits, what you can and can't do, will help keep you from getting in over your head. It's not foolproof," man, did he know that it wasn't foolproof, "but it goes a long way."

"And honestly, just recognizing that there is a balance that needs to be struck goes a long way towards helping you find it."
    He'd seen what had happened when someone didn't realize that, after all. Rust Mane, an command for two courtiers to fight to the death, the backlash, a former sovereign that never recovered from his fall...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.