1 - 10
DISPLAYED
THREADID

(Sparks) Aryana & Chuck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Caleb Fischer
    Caleb Fischer

Predator's Bearing

A short distance away, Aryana stops to look Chuck in the eye. He definitely seemed like a good leader, that much she could tell. He clearly had that other Uratha following him like a puppy. But this situation didn't mean anything, in the long run. It was a non-threatening area, at peace. There was no hard decision, there was no split-second life or death choice. And those were what made a true leader.

Ary stood slightly taller than the man. Nothing obvious, so she couldn't tower over him like she could Jacqui. But, it made it much easier to establish eye contact. She immediately adopted a challenger's pose, to see how he would react. Hard eyes met his, arms were crossed, and the back was set straight. She pursed her lips, and schooled her expression.

The picture of the wolf challenging another.

"So. You want to start your own pack." It wasn't a question by itself, but with her pose there was one. What made him worthy? Why should he rule? The question of any challenge.

T

Chuck stopped and met Aryana's gaze unflinching. As she took up a particularly hard pose it was clear she was testing him. She seemed to have Jacqueline following her as he knew Simon would follow him. They had both expressed interest in starting a pack. If they came together they would have the numbers for a good sized pack. It was a question of if one would let the other lead now.

He stood casually with his backpack slung over one shoulder and a thumb tucked under the strap to hold it in place. His other arm hung loosely by his side nonthreateningly. He was open to suggestions but he knew they way he wanted this conversation to go. Despite his nonthreatening stance his expression darkened and his gaze took on a steely look. Here on the Tur it was words that would overcome, not violence.

Aryana wasn't saying a lot and was keeping her cards close to her chest. Instead of revealing his own hand he tried to take a peek at hers.
    "We've both expressed that interest tonight. It now lies to us to discover who would be the better to lead." Now came the observations and hard truths. "You have already shown that you are apt at causing others to show you contempt, whether through something you did or didn't do, or simply because Allison feels the needs to snap at anyone who crosses her path. That is a situation that needs handling and simply ignoring the issue won't always work for you. It seems we may be forming a pack of new Uratha in a city that has a dangerous history and a low tolerance for foolishness. If these sorts of situations are not handled delicately we could soon find our territory overrun and our pack wiped out by those who do not appreciate what we may have to offer."

He left the implications hanging. He could have shown some of his hand at least but wanted to see how Aryana would react to his analysis of her actions so far. He watched her with a slight smile hoping she would prove herself worthy of his time whichever way the conversation went.

Caleb Fischer
    Caleb Fischer

Predator's Bearing

Ary raised an eyebrow, but her stance didn't change. He was doing a whole lot of telling her why she wouldn't be a good Alpha, and not a whole lot of saying why he would be better. She didn't mind stepping down to be enforcer for a better Alpha. Especially if their Pack was just her, Chuck, Simon, and Jacqui. She was pretty sure of the 4 of them, only she could fight. But he'd have to prove it first.

She leaned in subtly, closing the distance between them. She wouldn't violate the Tur. She'd said as much before. But it didn't mean she wouldn't see how he reacted to someone being obviously aggressive. If she let him feel comfortable, she wouldn't learn anything. "Maybe so. We'd need a leader who can handle the delicate politics and show the other packs not to mess with us, when it's needed." She raised an eyebrow slightly. Was he that leader?

Whether or not he thought he was, he'd have to prove it.

T

Well she wasn't denying his assumptions and was actually supporting his view. But she was also in his face. His hackles rose and his breathing grew a little heavier a natural reaction to a challenger but it only seemed to make the discussion more exciting, as though she were raising the stakes.

He lent in just a little himself, looking up a little at the slightly taller woman with a gleam in his eye.
    "Exactly." he said with a smile. "That's me." Would he come through the challenge without even showing his hand? Maybe he was just that good.

"You, I think, would make for an excellent second in command. Support my decisions. Make sure the pack is fighting fit. Take charge when I'm not available. What do you think?" he asked maintaining the intense eye contact.

Caleb Fischer
    Caleb Fischer

Predator's Bearing

Ary smirked slightly. Seemed it was time for a change in tactics.

Inserting as much disbelief, sarcasm, and just all-around meanness into her voice, Ary just said one word. "You?"

It wasn't so hard, really. She just imagined she was talking to Allison, and she'd just told Ary she wanted to be Alpha, and make her second-in-command. Ary would probably have to apologize to Chuck later. If he became her Alpha. Or, really, even if he didn't. There was really no excuse for being mean to someone who probably didn't deserve it.

T

Chuck felt his hackles rise further as she challenged his authority. Clearly he was the best for the position. She had just said as much. How dare she then brush him off so simply?

"Yes. Me." He said shortly. "I have a strong history in business and politics and am more than capable of leading a small pack. I don't see you raising any objections, or counter points, nor even expressing your interest in joining me. Maybe I should just ask Jacqueline if she would like to form a pack with two other Bone Shadows whom she seems to be hitting it off with. That would give us the numbers we need and we could go from there."

He let go of the backpack with his left thumb and reached over to grasp the strap with his right hand. There was nothing threatening in the gesture, yet his pose was now more closed off than open.

"It's not what I would prefer, but I would do it to make sure we have the protection we need." He said seriously.

Caleb Fischer
    Caleb Fischer

Predator's Bearing

Aryana had a momentary thought of backing off now. But then another thought popped in instead. He'd moved. Grabbing the strap, shifting, he was uncomfortable. Defensive. Now was the best time to see how he would react to just one more push. Would he run off scared?

A second thought occurred. What if she pushed too hard? What if he didn't break, and didn't understand what she was doing later? He'd run off and she'd be left packless. But the though got pushed back too. Even if, if, that happened, she could be secure in the knowledge she had ensured the strength of an Alpha. Strengthening another pack wasn't her goal here, but it would be a good consolation prize.

She didn't change her voice much. She actually leaned in a little more, trying to accentuate the difference in height. A hand reached out to touch him on the shoulder; in this context it would probably be a threatening gesture. "And what happens when someone stronger comes along? None of you look like you can fight. What happens when that's the only option?"

T

His gaze followed her hand and he breathed in deeply as she touched him. "Remember where you are." He said coolly looking back to Aryana.

It was disappointing that she didn't seem to be interested in joining him, she obviously had a lot of drive which he wanted from a beta if he was going to form a pack. But she seemed intent on forming her own as well, though it made little sense that she didn't flinch when he mentioned enlisting Jacqueline. If she wanted her own pack then she losing the one member she seemed to have secured already was ludicrous. Unless she was interested in joining him after all.

What she said was true. Without her they would be weak physically and while he didn't mind attempting to talk his way out of any altercation, he knew that this would not always be sufficient, especially when he did not have the safety of the Tur.

"But you're right. We would be weak. That is why I need you. And you need me. It would be mutually beneficial for both of us. It seems you know this but still have a problem with me. Yet I can't figure out what." he said tilting his head just slightly.

Caleb Fischer
    Caleb Fischer

Predator's Bearing

Ary frowned slightly. He didn't even give it thought. He didn't have a solution. Not a bad thing in itself - no one had a solution to every problem - but the speed with which he admitted it was worrisome. Not really a problem. She could fix it. At least he could try to project authority.

The touch to the shoulder turned into a poke to the chest. Not aggressive, just pointed. "You're weak." Her face didn't change as she talked, though she did lean back again, crossing her arms. "But everyone is weak. It's good to know it. It is not good to be able to admit it with such speed. And to an outsider, none the less." She shook her head. If he was Iminir, she would have cuffed him on the ear. But they'd made that promise to Winter Wolf, not him. "I'll teach you. But I won't have a weak Alpha. If I ever see you slip, I will take that spot. I will not allow a pack to suffer because one member cannot improve himself."

She looked back at the others, still clustered around in a group. "I'll be your beta. And I'll keep an eye on you, and I'll teach you how to not need to rely on me. But I will not tend your weakness."

T

Business deals never went down like this, not the type Chuck was used to anyway. They were always all smiles, handshakes, shoulder pats and signing documents.

But this was another type of deal brokering.

Chuck narrowed his eyes at the poke, but nodded slowly to Aryana as things fell into place. Of course. Iminir and their show of power, eschewing weakness. You could have picked your words more wisely and made this deal a sure thing.

"I am NOT weak." he snapped back. "I said the PACK would be weak. Not enough variation. All Hirfathra Hissu? The spirit courts would make us strong, but I want a pack that will be strong in all areas." he said jutting his chin in defiance of her accusation.

"Watch me." he challenged. "Watch me like a hawk and I guarantee your eyes will grow sore from staring before I give you reason to challenge my authority. You will make us stronger and we will make you stronger. As I said, 'Mutually beneficial.'" he said his tone relaxing slightly at the end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last