Ended
Watch

Stranger on the Third Floor

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    A
    Angel Ducard

I sit in a private study room of Sacramento State's library. Surrounding me I have notebooks, a worn and tattered copy of The Prince, a relatively new copies of Sociopathic Society, and The Sociopath Next Door. I am thankful that being Priscus was not an all consuming task yet. It leaves me time to work on my other pursuits.

My business as both a detective and a childre of my lineage requires knowledge and to continue my education. It also doesn't hurt that as long as I continue this part of my work, my monthly stipend was not getting any smaller. So I went back to my other profession, one of a career student. Thankfully between night classes and working online continuing to pursue next degree is not at all complicated. After all, it is not as if I am short on time.

I check my watch, and go back to work. My study partner should be here soon. I texted him an invite and to meet me here, study room 303. It's time for he and I to get to know each other a bit better.

Cameron Julian Durand

It doesn't take the young Haunt long to arrive - perhaps 20, 25 minutes after he first received the text message. Julian didn't miss the peak time traffic that went with the daylight hours one bit - getting around in the evening was so much more efficient.

He'd opted for something simple, and casual. Dark blue jeans went with an olive, long sleeve Henley shirt - no brands, no labels. If anything, he looked like one more college student, in for a late night cram sesh'.

The Haunt knocked politely, before entering the study room. Julian glanced down at the books, taking note of the titles, before flashing his Priscus the usual smile.

"Hey, good to see you Angel. That's an interesting reading list, finding anything in particular interesting?"

"By the way, how thick are these walls? I'd hate to be interrupting any students next door." It was one of those things better to establish early. He wasn't sure why Angel had invited him out here, and he figured she wasn't going to talk business in a public setting - but better safe than sorry.

A
    Angel Ducard

As he enters the room I look to him and smile. I felt that stalking fear that followed Julian. Being around my clan, seeing what the curse does to us, that dread doesn't set me too at ease. I figure that if Julian wanted to hurt me, he would try. Or if I needed to be scared of him, he would make sure I knew it. But still, it is there...

"Hello Julian. Close the door please." I say to him as he arrives.

His comment on my reading choices makes me smile. I like seeing him in his casual clothes, it is good to see that he can indeed loosen up a bit. I was worried that my Whip would be stiff, and that just wouldn't work. "I am studying personality disorders, specifically that of Dissocial personality disorders."

A little pride crosses my face as he asks about the walls, "We are safe to speak here. I made sure of it. I walked around the floor by the other occupied rooms, and I could not hear a thing from within. It seems that they are somewhat soundproof, as long as we are not yelling." I explain to my friend. "Come sit. Let us talk. How does the evening find you?

The young Haunt closed the door, and as requested, took a seat. He nodded as she explained her logic behind the room. Study rooms were usually designed for silence, but he was glad she'd gone to the effort of checking. If a vampires senses couldn't pick up sound coming out of them, no mortal ever would. "Interesting - and does The Prince factor into that study?" he asked, his eyes flicking over the well worn copy. "I'm curious, do you buy into the argument that Machiavelli wrote it as satire, or do you feel that the advice was genuine?"

"Fairly well, I'd say. Pretty quiet so far, but I don't suppose a lazy few hours are much of a crime" he remarked with a shrug, the usual smile coating his lips. "And how about you, Angel? I trust I find you well?"

A
    Angel Ducard

I smile at him as he asks about the prince, I gesture for him to sit down. "I think that the Prince was an epiphany. A man, Machiavelli, found himself after being imprisoned and tortured writing a dialogue to try to get himself back into a position of power. I think being tortured broke part of him. At least that is what I am trying to research."

I tilt my head a bit to the right and look into his eyes. "I am well thank you. I felt it would be wise for us to spend some time together. To get to know each other. Since, after all, we will hopefully be working together for some time."

Julian nodded, and listened intently. He'd read The Prince, once, ages ago. He remembered a little bit of the discourse surrounding the text - enough to remember there was a debate as to the intent of the author - but he didn't recall anyone having taken that approach before.

"Interesting. It's been a while for me, but I don't remember reading any accounts which took that path of analysis before" he remarked cheerfully. He didn't have much to contribute on the topic, but it was nice to chat about something other than politics, if only for a moment. It felt human, and that was refreshing.

"Hmm, fair enough, I don't suppose we got through our session of 20 questions before the duel. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know, Angel?" he asked, curious as to what exactly his Priscus wanted. He agreed with the logic - if they were to work in partnership, they needed to know a little more than simply each others names. He had questions of his own, but he didn't want to set the tone of the conversation by presenting business first.

A
    Angel Ducard

My smile fades to a smirk, that isn't to say I am not enjoying myself, but it is to say that my mood has shifted. To business.

"Let us start with something simple. Loyalties. Mine are twofold, my Sire and to my Clan. I have no covenant. That isn't to say that I won't have one in the future, but those two will always come first. Where are yours?"

I fold my hands together now, interlocking my fingers. I have corrected my posture to sit up straight, rather then leaning over my studying. I assume I know his answer to this, but still, it is a question worth asking.

And so the tone was set. But that was fine, it merely meant that their interests aligned, for the time being atleast.

He considered his answer, scratching at his clean shaven chin.

"Umm, well. My Sire and I were not on the best of terms when we parted ways. So... If you put it like that, I guess my loyalties lay with the Clan, and with myself." He remarked with an unapologetic shrug. Self interest, and perhaps more importantly, self preservation drove his actions more often than not, and he didn't feel ashamed to admit it. He hadn't asked for the Curse; and he'd been pushed through hell for it. He owed it to himself to turn that pain into a longer term investment.

"That said, what is good for the hive is good for the bee" he remarked, repeating the platitude he'd offered to another Priscus, not long ago "so I don't perceive there as being any degree of conflict between the two."

He paused for a moment, focusing his eyes on the woman before him. She seemed to have stepped out of an old movie, and the effect was unnerving to say the least. You almost didn't trust what your eyes were telling you. But now, now it was his turn to interrogate Angel - to find out what her eyes had captured in Sacramento thus far.

"I'm in the same boat, as far as a Covenant goes. However, it is something I'd like to change in the not so distant future." His tone remained pleasant, but the smile faded - for all that he may claim to dislike politics, it was in his Blood. His eyes - usually a dull green - hardened, as did the lines of his face. This was his game face, though he wouldn't have recognized it had it been shown to him. His Sire had beaten it into him, and it came to the fore without his conscious recognition.

"I wouldn't presume to speak for you, Angel, but I know that I would feel more secure in my position as Whip if I had the backing of a social structure behind me. It was something I had been discussing with Lord Baldwin, prior to the duel - the Invictus, that is. But I'm considering all of the cards on the table now." He took a moments pause, having explained the reason for his inquiry before presenting the question itself "What are your thoughts on the Covenants in Sacramento, Angel? If you were to throw you lot in with any, which would it be?"

A
    Angel Ducard

Julian has something about him, something rugged and yet... something I can't put my finger on. But his voice is rather nice to listen too. It is rare that I have the patience for long winded people, but his pleasant timbre, I actually don't mind.

I nod to show that I am hearing him and understand what he is saying. "That is a interesting question. If I were to follow my lineage, I would toss my lot in with the Circle. But my Sire valued knowledge and education over faith, so that may be the route I take. However, influence does speak loudly. So there are two organizations that speak to my needs presently." I pause now for a moment, thinking strongly about his goals within the First Estate.

"I could see how you would be a valued member of the First Estate," with proper guidance. "The First Estate is arguably the most powerful covenant within the domain. After all, the Prince stands within it's ranks. I would recommend you speak to the Mr. Cordoba, as he is in a position of influence in the domain and a member of the Invictus." As I make this recommendation Lady Star interlopes into my thoughts, an amazingly beautiful woman, but she has only recently returned, and her loyalty could be questioned. Where as Priscus Cordoba seemed to be doing well for himself from what I have heard.

"Well well, another commonality - My Sire had close ties to the Crone" he volunteered, seemingly without bitterness. The contempt he felt towards his Sire hadn't tainted the Circle, and while the blood magic stuff was cool and all, it just didn't seem as pressing as the need for influence, and security. Maybe, when he was old and powerful and bored, he could explore his spiritual side. But for now, he was young and hungry and weak, and that required something more temporal in nature to sate.

"Well, thank you for the vote of confidence, and the suggestion - if I end up taking that route, I'll most certainly seek out Priscus Cordoba. He seems like a good man to know, in any case." He shot his Cousin - and Priscus - a grateful smile.

"I figured the Invictus would be the safest option for building some social foundations in this Domain, being the incumbent power structure and all. Do you know much about the Movement, or the Dragons in Sacramento?" The relative balance of power was something that interested him - naturally. The incumbent may be the safest option, but it never hurt to consider the alternatives. After all, the only reason he was in a position to consolidate at all was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Shooting for that sort of thing twice in a row was all kinds of risky, but still...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.