Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1502) Josephine and Gerald

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

PRE

Gerald takes stock of his Priscus-to-be as he approaches. The black lipstick is certainly an impression. It reminds him of certain Ladies who adorned themselves to frighten their quarry rather than seduce. And while she is not dressed as a brigand, per se, it leaves room for open interpretation. Especially when you throw in a rather potent symbol of Kine Christianity. Who is this woman pretending to be? Or is she pretending at all? A raised brow gives away his obvious fascination, which he corrects as he smiles politely and gives introduction.

"I do hope I am not intruding into a lovely evening for you, Priscus. My name is Gerald Baker. Of your Clan, if not your Covenant." In their own ways both of the two Ventrue flaunted their Covenants on their sleeves. So to speak. Gerald 'Twice-Dead' Baker is clearly intrigued by this Priscus who understands the power of making a statement. Just as I do.

The Priscus turned black eyes upon the stranger who'd spoken to her, running up and down his form, appraising.

"Ah, you're the Kindred who was speaking francais. C'est une tres belle langue, mais je pense que anglais est tres belle, aussi. Alors, voulez vous parler en francais ou en anglais?"* she asked, a sable brow raising in query.

Translation and note

3. Likes Travisc06489, Brownlee liked this post

PRE

Gerald is delighted once more as he listens to this Priscus' response. An easy grin finds his face. He responds to her question in French.

"Perhaps this seems childish of me, but I rather enjoy speaking a language not everyone understands. I find it entertaining to leave them guessing. If you will indulge me, how did you come to speak this language? Studies perhaps?" He runs a hand over his beard stubble as if lost in some thought. "For myself, it was the language of choice of the crew of a ship I was once a part of. Though I was technically born a British citizen of the colonies. Connecticut, in fact. But I did not seek you out to bombard you with pleasantries. I am looking to make this city my home."

PRE

"Yes, it was through my studies. French was, at the time, the language of international diplomacy. Besides, as I mentioned, I dearly enjoy the sound of it," Josephine replied, a pleasant smile appearing over her features.

"It's fascinating that you happened to learn it in the course of your labors upon the sea. You speak the language very well, but I wonder, does this mean that you can only speak it, or did you pursue knowledge of the language beyond a merely oral capacity? Indeed, if you are hoping to make Sacramento your home, then you should tell me more about yourself."

PRE

Gerald offers a bow of his head in agreement. "Very well." He casts his eyes downward for a brief moment; gathering his thoughts. "Speaking the language comes much easier than writing it, I will admit. It was the language one called Luis Bonner taught me for secrecy. This was long ago - indeed, over 200 years. Since my acclimation to this new world I have... taken steps to learn to write in it as well. It is a work in progress." Another grin from the Sea King.

"As for me and who I am..." He holds his arms out to the sides as if to say 'take a look and see'. "I am a not-so-humble business man and spokesperson for the Carthian Movement. It is my aim to present a positive face for the Movement in your fair city. I also maintain a small haven within my yacht on the Sacramento River. I was hoping that I might moor safely within the communal grounds, perhaps?"

PRE

The Carthian's words earned a single blink from the Priscus, a single, wide crack in the otherwise intact mask. 200 years? Truly? The question, though unspoken, was manifested in that single blink. Indeed, for one who was no doubt used to staring at the faces of necromatically petrified monstrosities, it was a loud gesture. Nevertheless, Josephine continued on as though she had given no such indication of surprise.

"Do not be over eager, Gerald. The night has not yet run its course. Answer me another question. What are your views on the devil?"

8. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post

PRE

The man is confident, as being a face for his Covenant requires, but only just so. Does she wish me to wave a heretic's flag as well? This sudden shift in the conversation takes him off guard. Without realizing it, he answers in English.

"Who among the 'unwashed masses' can say? You make me wish I had spent time to learn Latin as well. I might have given you an impressive answer." He tuts to himself, shaking his head. In a breath's space, his selling-something smile returns. "Forever ago I was a Protestant. Tonight, however, I am man unshackled. I am no stranger to death and violence. And there was once a time when mortal men and Kindred alike would associate my very name with the devil." The Beast in his breast almost purrs in agreement. In its eyes, Josephine is a rival to be destroyed rather than a dignitary to placate. He switches to French once more.

"It must be a powerful devil - or a permissive God - that allows monsters like me to exist in this world."

PRE

"I would be delighted to answer that theodicy for you," Josephine answered smoothly in french, "though I do not wish to cheat you from the opportunity to speak about yourself. This conversation is about you, after all. Isn't that marvelous? Or do you prefer less scrutiny? I would imagine a Carthian would be quite favorable towards it. Or am I oversimplifying your beliefs? Your covenant is somewhat like the Circle, is it not? A broad umbrella to encompass the non-normative political structures?"

PRE

About me? The Sea King laughs quietly. If he were the sort, he might show some false modesty. If. She probably has no idea just what her statement entails.

"Less scrutiny? Heavens no. I am an open book for those who care to read it. The covenant... is similar to the Circle in that respect. They pursue the desires and favor of a plethora of unrelated deities as much as we pursue many different goals. The Movement has more branches - interest groups, if you will - than I care to count. Each with their own, sometimes conflicting, agendas. The only unified front the Covenant can portray as a whole is that of freedom of ideas." He looks at Josephine in all formality and seriousness for just a moment before breaking into an amused smile.

"At least... that is a textbook answer I can give you from what others say about us. While it is true that each member has their own ideas for change, we are all not so different. We want to explore new ideas. We want freedom. We want to advance Kindred society as a whole. The biggest schism we have is between those who value personal freedom above all and those who wish to bring positive change for all - Individualists and Collectivists. Myself? It would depend on who you ask. The Collectivists think I only care about myself, while the Individualists believe I am much too soft; too willing to compromise my own beliefs for the greater good. I see myself as a realist. A Moderate knows what he wants and how to play with others."

PRE

"Well, for your sake I hope that you are a patient demon. From what I have heard your covenant has done naught but argue amongst themselves and then flee the city before they incur the wrath of the Prince and the First Estate at his back. There is only one Carthian that I know of, one Ashley Cohen," Josephine shared, gesturing to the aforementioned Kindred. "She is a cousin of ours. I would recommend speaking with her at some point if you wish to organize your Movement. I will warn you, however, that she is more interested in power than she is in anything else. Perhaps that will not matter to you so long as the Movement begins to actually move, but it is something to be aware of. But, before we get ahead of ourselves, I have a few more questions for you. Answer me now: what are your views on Monomacy?"

13. Likes Travisc06489, Cameron liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread