Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(Herald) Back to Business

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

"Zoey"
    Sheet

If her messenger bag has been mentioned, Zoey is carrying an old leatherbound journal, two bottles of gatorade and a waterbottle, a change of clothing, a second small pistol, a couple of snacks and a variety of miscellaneous objects. Don't question a woman's purse.

PRE

As women went, Zodiac was not the most striking of them around. Her long brown hair was left in loose waves around her face as she sat at a desk, awaiting any newcomers to the city who required acknowledgement, a light coloured dress making her come across a bit less severe than she could have, though sharp blue eyes were intently focused on the papers in front of her as she worked on them.

She'd been gone too long, so much had piled up and... well, she might have even felt a little bad for Crowley. It sounded quite like he'd been busier than hell. As for her - luckily it wasn't too difficult to straighten things out with her boss, but that didn't stop things from being piled up that required doing. She'd never been so grateful for Sarah before, keeping things organized and readied.

Was she ready to be back to work yet? Probably not. But life waited for no one - not even mages. So there she was, doing what needed to be done in the wake of her absence...

Isosyn

I
    Isosyn

Precasts
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-01-04 22:34:15 Smoke rolls 6 to precast grim sight (Gno+Death+HS-2(24hr)) (10 Again) 1, 9, 3, 4, 1, 10, 1 2 successes
    2015-01-04 22:33:24 Smoke rolls 6 to precast entropic guard (Gno+Death+HS-2(24hr)) (10 Again) 4, 9, 3, 8, 7, 7 2 successes

Smoke showed up at the prescribed location he was told to go. He, not wanting to make a poor impression, made a habit of showing up early to these types of engagements. The tranquility offered by not having excessive time pressures made keeping a cool head a trivial matter. Having engaged in the practice for some time now, he probably didn't need to anymore to gain that benefit, but maintaining a good reputation by being known to respect others' time was still worthwhile.

Having been told he would be able to meet a Herald at this location still managed to get Smoke a bit worked up. He still hadn't met many people--let alone mages--in the city. Those he had spoken with to find out where to go weren't precisely generous with their time, so he didn't get to ask any questions about what to expect. That unknown quality added a layer of complication.

Taking a moment, Smoke straightened his somewhat wrinkly button-up shirt. He had always found himself out and about when took notice of the fact he had forgotten or neglected to press his shirts. When he noticed he would tell himself he would have to get around to doing that. It happened once last year, right around the new year when he made the resolution last time. He hadn't yet had the time to compose a new resolution to fail to achieve this year. He'd find a way to get by either way. Mastigoi were generally branded with a fastidiousness about their appearance; his time in the crucible failed to impress that quality on him. Maybe later.

He aligned his tie, making sure the inside tail was properly inside its guide loop, before turning away from the street and entering the building.

Briefly pausing to allow his eyes to adjust to the new light level, he looked around the entryway to locate any guide-posts that would aid in getting him to his appointment. Spotting the signage with the range that corresponded to the office he was to visit, he set his feet to move in that direction; the rest of him followed, naturally.

Arriving at the door, with a quick check of the watch--two minutes until the appointment--Smoke set a single knuckle to the task of knocking on the door.

"Tock, Tock, Tock." The door had replied.

Smoke waited in anticipation.

"Zoey"
    Sheet

If her messenger bag has been mentioned, Zoey is carrying an old leatherbound journal, two bottles of gatorade and a waterbottle, a change of clothing, a second small pistol, a couple of snacks and a variety of miscellaneous objects. Don't question a woman's purse.

PRE

"Enter," Zodiac called as she closed the folder she'd been working on and folded her hands together, straightening herself with only the briefest of glances at the time. Early... It said a thing or two, but there were other things that would tell her much more very shortly. With her eyes no longer focused on her work, sharp blue eyes awaited the opportunity to examine the newcomer.

As always her favourite part of encountering new members of the Consilium was this moment. The moment where she put together the edges of the puzzle that was an Awakened. Her legacy was, perhaps, an addiction in some ways - or was it her curiousity? - as she had been caught on more than one occasion staring, seemingly off into space. Space wasn't where she stared, however.

Each movement, expression, position... each smile, frown, crease of the face... tell-tale signs about the one she interacted with. Each one filled in more of the puzzle that was that person... She'd missed this.

I
    Isosyn

Not hesitating to take the invitation, Smoke turned the knob of the door to its maximum before slowly gliding the door open. His eyes devoured the new objects and features revealed to him as the door swung in its hinge. He noted each of the corners of the room checking the room's dimensions and the objects within it in relation to each other. He spied the closed folder centered in front of the young woman sitting behind the desk, observing the stack of folders stowed in the in-tray on the side of the desk.

"Hello." He managed, his eyes settling on hers. She clearly carries the potential to be very intense, he assessed. Probably best to set her at ease.

Failure to remember the right thing to say in this situation.
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-01-05 00:15:47 Smoke rolls 5 to present himself in the socially expected fashion. (Manipulation+Socialize) (10 Again) 5, 7, 5, 7, 5 failure

Smoke creases his face with a broad smile, his cheeks breaking into dimples.

"Good, uh ..." he paused to pretend to clear his throat to buy time. "... to finally meet someone, official, officially." He concluded awkwardly.

Covering his awkwardness with a faux cough and excuse
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-01-05 00:22:31 Smoke rolls 8 to to contain his embarrassment and maintain composure (Composure + Subterfuge) (10 Again) 3, 10, 10, 1, 7, 3, 10, 2, 8, 5, 7 4 successes

He moved toward the face of the desk waiting next to the chair resting across from her.

"Apologies, the air has been dry lately."

He extends the hand he hadn't used to cover his cough as an offer to handshake.

"Zoey"
    Sheet

PRE

A brow raised for a moment before Zodiac rose to her feet in turn, taking his hand and granting him a smile that was rather business-like. "Of course. Can I offer you a glass of water?" she offered, though it wasn't difficult to take note of the discomfort. She wasn't about to make things any more difficult on the man yet, however, and she watched him as he glanced around the rather sparce office space. Nothing distinctly tell-tale - at least, not for anyone who had really spoken with her.

That, however, was not this man's situation. Indeed the room boasted a few things of a rather unique nature - a few old tapestries that were in reasonably good condition, a pair of papyrus scrolls that were encased in glass and appropriately sealed to prevent them from being damaged by the surroundings, even a couple of carvings and fossils were on display as well as a few books on history. All-told the room wasn't entirely unlike her office at work, though there were certainly less filing cabinets present. The only one present was actually a drawer within the unassuming desk, which was what she opened as she tucked away the files she had been working on.

The notion of her being official, however... that brought a smile to her face. Somehow she was still that. "I am Zodiac, a Herald of the Sacramento Consilium and Sigil Holder for the Veiled Threats Cabal, on the Path of Scourging. And I welcome you to Sacramento." But not without an interview, of course.

I
    Isosyn

"No, Thank you; I think I'll be alright." He said, assessing her reaction to his attempt to cover. Could have been worse.

He stepped in front of the chair carefully slipping it back. Seems that the previous person left it a little close to the desk.

Waiting to be offered the seat he'd adjusted, he allowed his gaze to slip over to the patterns of the tapestries, assessing their significance; one and then the other. He decided to pace his examination of the other things out over the rest of the conversation, there will be plenty of time for that.

"Pleased to meet you Zodiac," taking an extra beat to make sure the simple sentence came out correctly. "I am also on the Path of Scourging; appreciate the welcome."

"Zoey"
    Sheet

PRE

She gestured to the seat in an offer to have him sit even as she took up her own chair again. "I hope you can appreciate that there are going to be questions that may come across intrusive, but this is all in the name of safety," she smiled a little, "and I will see to it that you are introduced to our Councillor. Have you chosen an Order that I might direct you to, as well?" Zodiac inquired as she jotted something down on a small notepad.

"Once we've settled that bit of importance, I hope you won't mind indulging me by giving me a brief idea of what brought you to Sacramento?" Though her smile had grown warmer, her eyes were much like a hawk's as she intently watched each little reaction he gave, looking for signs of information being intentionally withheld - or outright lies. The safety of the Concilium was a priority, and in part her duty to uphold. Especially after the Falstaff fiasco. I wonder if anyone has dealt with that twit yet, she mused for the briefest of moments.

I
    Isosyn

Accepting the offered seat, Smoke settled down and considered her framing of how she thought the conversation was about to go. Am I in an airport security checkpoint?

Accepting that recent history may have instigated an increase in concern about who might be allowed into a city is one thing.

Let's see what she means by this ...

Smoke maintained his pleasant smile. "To answer your questions, I have chosen a Pentacle order and have been a member for some time; I know whom to speak with so there is no need to trouble yourself in that regard, and I thank you for the offer of assistance."

Apparently I'm feeling obtuse today.

"I understand that it is much easier to learn when one has a teacher that knows more than the student, so I come here seeking a more fertile learning environment." He seems to look inwardly a moment and a brief expression of contempt for a subject-not-here leaks out.

Feeling as though he might have over-indulged the adversarial side of his path, Smoke changed his tone and continued. "I graduated from one of my previous teachers--a sleeper--when I realized he was more interested in money than a true expansion of understanding."

"The crucible lead me to come into contact with my order and next teachers. They taught me a few things and suggested, since I'd learned so well, I should come and make some use of myself in this locale."

"Right, you were speaking of safety concerns for the consilium." He paused momentarily, "I heard the book-burners are making a nuisance of themselves at a local university. What can you tell me about what is going on up there?--I don't want some closed-minded assholes destroying everything there is to learn," his concluding statement he drifted his gaze away slightly to avoid directing the negative intensity he was expressing about the Banishers at Zodiac.

This flow of information need not be one way.

"Zoey"
    Sheet

PRE

It took her a few moments of considering his words before her fingers folded in on each other and she leaned forward with a light smile. "If you have been a member of a Pentacle order for some time, then I'm certain you must understand the situation you're in at this particular moment, but in case it's not clear, please allow me to elabourate.

"It is the position of the Herald that determines whether or not to grant temporary acknowledgement in this city, for long enough to allow you to speak with any of those who are higher up for a variety of reasons. I am the first line of defense for this city, and unwillingness to cooperate freely doesn't bode well or speak highly for you. I cannot allow for or arrange a meeting between you and either of your representatives, nor with the Hierarch, without first being certain that you are not a threat. If I do find you to be a threat, it will be my business - and pleasure - to have you expelled from this city to carry on your merry way.

"So, if you'd respond more directly to the questions we can finish our assessment and I may be able to answer some of your questions openly and as a friend. If you choose to continue playing about and dallying in words to beat around the bush... I'm afraid I may be required to initiate more martial methods of handling your assessment."
    A pleasant smile crossed her features.

"Your manners do leave much to be desired, I must admit. I offer you my name, path and position, and you offer me your path and a lack of cooperation... Poor manners indeed."

I
    Isosyn

"You are quite right about at least one thing, It was terribly poor manners when I forgot to offer my name. That was not intended," releasing a genuine sheepish grin and shrug of the shoulders.

"The name's Smoke," the pleasant smile returning. Good. Be nice.

"It's quite clear that you have others' safety to look out for. I get that." His eyebrows raise in an expression of empathetic understanding. "Right now, I have my safety to look out for, and others'. I wasn't exactly about to start spilling over with buzz-words to throw up a neon sign as to who and what we are without the least confirmation of who I was dealing with, banishers about and societal secrets being important and all," cocking his head and raising an eyebrow to signal his desire for reciprocal understanding. Alright, I'm almost back on track

"The upside to my bad manners, I can almost feel the weight of your title filling the room," --Give her some props-- hands raised chest high, but planar to the floor, and his fingers wriggling as if riding an invisible wave of energy flowing through the room--no action of mystical significance. Taking a breath to partake in the vibe of the room, "I can see you own it. You know it, and, pivotal to this conversation, now I know it." okay, that was creepy. Shit.

"As to the directness of my previous answers, they explicitly answered your direct questions. There was no beating around the bush. The bush simply had room in which to move about inside it." Why the sass?

"While we are on the topic of grading each other's manners, asking for social information you had yet to offer yourself, tsk tsk," wagging his finger with the slightest hint of an impish smirk escaping his mask.

Oh! It's this predatory scrutiny I've been picking up on, his conscious thoughts finally catching up to his instincts. Fly in a web, if you're not careful.

"But, since you asked so nicely though, I am of the Mysterium," the pleasant smile reasserting itself. "There will be no need for anyone to get themselves hurt," the tone falling flatter than his smile.

Nah, more like a wasp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread