Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Letters home

THREADID
    S
    Soderbok

Written on headed paper from the Claire hotel.

Most Glorious Domina,

I have made it safely to Sacramento, though I do not understand why I am here. With no connection to the city I was expecting to need some local assistance to find my way around. I checked into a hotel, and wandered around the city looking for their Wardons to find me. After a week of being in the city I heard nothing. No Wardons, no Marshal Deputy, not a whisper from the Seanachai or the Speaker of our family.
    What sort of society goes on here?

I eventually blundered into where Elysium but not before a little difficulty with one of the security gorillas. Honestly not a temporary members card, no map, not even a name to give at the door.

I had to write asking the Speaker of our family to assist. What a shambles. Lots of wittering on about the importance of being a good and faithful servant to the Thane, though they call them Prince here.
    Being a well brought up Fianna I performed the Rite of Introduction. I think it almost scared the poor Speaker.
    No welcome packet is available and no tokens of Acknowledgement are given.
    I politely asked for a token to ensure that my Acknowlement was not challenged.
    None was available or even considered necessary. I could see the trouble building up but Speaker was certain it was unnecessary. What an innocent she is, what is to stop a Thane from refusing their recognition for any flimsy pretext if there is no token.

Still on to court and it got worse. No Seanachai exists, His Grace performs that role, no Announcer to speak aloud the names of new arrivals, no Usher to introduce you properly to Court.

I felt like a fly in a spiders web, it seems the Tradition of Hospitality is not practised here. No doubt His Grace will leap on me at some point and when I am not utterly familiar with Court manners throw me out despite my Speaker failing to provide that instruction. It seems the residents here are most unprepared for new blood despite a lot of it appearing on a regular basis.

When at Court I spotted the Speaker of the Talented, figuring that Daeva are social butterflies that delight in news from other places and new faces to meet. The Speaker was talking to a group which included a Speaker from an unidentified family, a new arrival like myself and His Grace's Marshal.
    I politely introduced myself to the Daeva and waited to be introduced to the others present. Next time I will ask a stray dog to compose an Opera in 3 acts. The others were not introduced at all and having taken offence departed suddenly. Another Daeva appeared and offered his hand. Family matters needed to be discussed so I excused myself.

I wrote a short note to the Marshal introducing myself and making an appointment to speak to him another time.

I have a nagging fear that some ape in a suit is going to throw me out with a flimsy reason. I feel as welcome as a homeless bum at a black tie gala. I dread meeting my host and will do all I can to make Court appearances fleeting.

I am told the family gathers to discuss events, based on Court I won't be surprised if they hold discussions while wrestling naked in egg custard or beef stew.

Oh Domina I long to be home, to walk the familiar streets, to have a purpose beside being the butt of a joke I have no knowledge of. I beg, beseech and beg you to get me home. No price is too high to be free from here.

I shall Endure and do my Duty as you have taught me. I will bring no shame on you or the family.

Happy New Year,
    Fionn

Within days, a reply comes.

Fionn,

Suck it up, buttercup. Quit crying and fang up. You should have paid attention when I was explaining how normal Domains worked. Buy a thesaurus.

Happy New Year,

Domina

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.