Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Matters Temporal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    P
    Peter Baldwin

Site used with standing permission from J-Haze.

Peter Baldwin was well familiar with Jennifer Hazelton's flower shop. The site where the former Priscus of Clan Nosferatu had often held Clan gatherings had been opened to him for use at his leisure, a kindness from one coteriemate to another. It wasn't often that the Knight needed it, but there were times when it was his preference to not be in the public eye.

After all, the Reeve was a Shadow, and while he didn't have any particular reason to distrust the Crone Heirophant, he didn't have any particular reason not to, either. The Invictus's business would remain private.

The lights were on, and while the shop had a CLOSED sign displayed on the door, it remained unlocked for the time being. This new Haunt could come in at his leisure.

Julian knocked once on the door before entering the shop. He knew he was expected, but giving people that second of notice before barging in would hopefully prevent any... surprised reactions. He'd made better time than he thought he would have; and he breathed a silent prayer to the near-divine aid of Google maps as he entered the flower shop. Julian wore black slacks with a matching collared shirt, tucked in with the sleeves rolled up. It was decidedly on the smart side of smart causal, and that was usually a safe place to be.

"Good evening, Priscus Baldwin" remarked the Haunt pleasantly, pausing for just a second as a dozen following pleasantries flashed to mind. He settled on "Thanks for meeting with me tonight." Finding the appropriate balance between formality, utility and appropriateness was always a difficult game. He didn't know this man well enough to inquire as to his health, or his affairs, and Julian found small talk difficult enough without trying it on someone who all but radiated tension.

Inferences aside, he didn't know which, if any, faction Baldwin was tied too, nor did he know what agenda lay behind the Haunt's curiosity. He liked to assume the best in people, but the naivete had been beaten out of him fairly brutally. He was no doubt going to be assessed this evening, though whether that was as a potential recruit or as a political pawn remained to be seen. In any case, Julian was content to let his Priscus make the opening move, letting him set the tone and agenda for the evening.

P
    Peter Baldwin

The Priscus of Haunts was seated across from an empty chair, one of Hazelton's more comfortable ones. "You're welcome." He gestured to the seat across from him, an invitation to sit. "I'm always happy to talk about... temporal matters." A slight smirk crossed the Knight's face as he adjusted the veridian gold ring on his hand that signified who and what he was.

A Knight, first and foremost.

"Join me, please, Mr. Durand."

He produced a small box, opening it. Within were two cigars. He offered one to the other Haunt.

"So. An artist, an author of horror, comes to Sacramento, and is looking for ways to improve his station. Is that accurate to say?" he led with a horrifying smile tainted by the Menace. Durand undoubtedly understood. He was just as fucked up to be around, just as evil-seeming in his own right, minus the sunken cheeks and corpselike pallor of one who had lost a chunk of one's soul to the Beast on the way down.

fame recognized
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-12-29 00:42:10 Peter Baldwin rolls 7 to Fame (Wits+Comp+1) (10 Again) 2, 1, 8, 5, 8, 9, 6 3 successes

Julian accepted the offered cigar as he seated himself. His pleasant smile turned into a wide grin at the recognition; partly embarrassed but certainty quite pleased. He wasn't sure if his Priscus was a fan of his work, or if he'd done his homework. Furthermore, he wasn't sure which of the two options were more terrifying.

"Heh, an amateur writer, perhaps, but artist may be too great a compliment" he remarked cheerfully, wondering which if any of his novella's Baldwin had read...In the Mire of Madness was his best know book, but that was only one possibility.

"I'd say that is a fairly accurate assessment, though. Living night to night on the road hasn't been the most...pleasant of lifestyle choices I've made. I'm hoping to be able to put down some roots in Sacramento. Generally, I think that the best way to do that is to try and join a... social network rather than lurk on the fringe of our society. From there, I'd like to be able to offer whatever aid I can in making the Domain a safer, more stable place. If I can improve my station while doing so, well, that'd be a nice bonus" he concluded with a slight shrug, the grin having settled back into a pleasant smile "Whats good for the swarm, is usually good for the bee."

To some, that may sound like an overly altruistic sentiment. It may have even seemed sinister, given the dread that emanated from the young Haunt. But for Julian, it seemed nothing more than a pragmatic approach to the situation at hand. At the end of the night what this little bee wanted was security and blood, and the more the better. They were the temporal foundations one could build a secure Requiem upon. The question was whether Baldwin was willing and able to assist him in securing those foundations; and if so, whether the cost was such as he was prepared to pay.

P
    Peter Baldwin

The Priscus of Nosferatu offered the young Haunt a cigar cutter and a proper long match, before setting his own up. When his match was lit, he turned away from Durand, his body between Julian and the fire. It was held out from his body, along with the cigar until he leaned gingerly in to puff - there was no sense in risking Rotschreck. Even prepared, the Menace recoiled with terror until he blew the match out and put the dead stick away. It had known Fear. He'd become quite a skilled jogger that night.

He sucked in the cigar's pleasant smoke, and the light on the end flared before settling down to silently sizzle as he listened and gave the poised author's words a think before asking one question.

"Good. How do you feel about tradition?"

Julian paused for a moment before replying, playing with his cigar as decided how he wanted to proceed. He mimicked his Priscus as best he could, he'd never tried to smoke since he entered this new world, and playing with matches felt unduly dangerous. But, well, he felt obliged.

This was one of those questions which had a right answer to them, and what that answer was depended entirely on the audience. His best guess was that Baldwin had ties to the Invictus within the domain, so an affirmative answer was hopefully the one he was looking for. The exact opposite could be true, of course, but that was the gamble. In either case, he wanted to be able to express his thoughts earnestly, if judiciously.

"I think there is value in tradition" he continued carefully "Stability is good, and I think change for the sake of change is dangerous for our kind" so is becoming hidebound, but that can be left unstated. "I think, though, that we can learn from the things that have worked in the past, and building upon them gives us a strong foundation." He sat and watched, a slight smile across his features as he waited to see if he'd rolled a six or a one.

P
    Peter Baldwin

Baldwin's lunatic gaze held on Julian. One second. Two seconds. Three seconds. His poise did little to cover the hostile hints of the Menace beneath. Then, finally, before it became too much... he nodded.

"A politic answer, but one that suggests to me that you're no Carthian," he said, considering the author. "Good."

He gestured with his cigar lightly, tapping it against his ashtray.

"I didn't introduce myself fully at Court. I am Lord Baldwin, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Thorned Wreath and Priscus of Nosferatu - and indeed, this is the Invictus Domain of Sacramento. This Domain prospers under the leadership of His Grace, Alder Prince Clarke, and I am glad to hear you wish to serve the Domain and grow here."

He sucked on the cigar again, wreathing his head with smoke.

"Tell me, Mr. Durand, since this is meant to be informative and I wouldn't wish to repeat things you already know - what is it you have heard of the Invictus?"

Julian struggled not to quiver under that gaze, the tension was palpable and wore at already frayed nerves. The Laws he had read were still fresh in mind... his Priscus probably couldn't destroy him legally if he didn't like the answer. Netherless, under the lunacy of the gaze before him that was a cold comfort.

And then, the tension abated, atleast a little. A nod, a critique; not glowing but probably satisfactory, and an explanation. Julian felt himself exhale in relief; a useless, reflexive gesture. He nodded as Baldwin gave his full title, if only to show that tense nerves didn't keep him from following the conversation.

His smile ceased looking quite so awkward as he responded to the question. He wasn't out of the woods yet, but atleast he knew where he stood.

"Not a lot, I'll admit. Most of what I've heard is the sort of stuff that has filtered down the grapevine; and not always from the most flattering or unbiased of sources. What I've gathered is that the Invictus is an old organisation, which places a lot of emphasis on formality, tradition and respect. I can infer that it has something like a psuedo-feudal structure, but I'm not really sure what that means in a practical sense. I've also been told that Invictus domains tend to be stable, atleast organizationally."

Julian paused for a moment, before continuing

"In short, not very much, and the things that feel like information, rather than Carthian propaganda, are fairly broad and overly general. Anything you are willing to share would be appreciated, but I'm particulary interested in the need-to-know stuff. For instance, would you prefer for me to address you as Lord, or Priscus, or both?"

P
    Peter Baldwin

Baldwin remained hauntingly still as Julian spoke what he had heard. He hadn't heard much, but there was something he could work with there.

"Priscus Baldwin is sufficient, for now. Members of the Unconquered refer to me as 'Lord Priscus' or 'Lord Baldwin'."

He drummed the fingers of one hand on a leg once or twice in a silent cadence, a thoughtful look on his face.

"The feudal relationship you speak of is the kind of thing that helps everyone enjoy stability, protection and a place in Society equivalent to their merit. Those who rule rule because they have served well and earned their place - those who are at the bottom earn their way up by doing those things. We swear fealty up the chain, we serve, and we are rewarded well for our service. It is a system that respects Elders, but the young can rise. Believe it or not, I am not particularly old, but I am of significant standing in the local Covenant because of what I have done for it. His Grace is our leader, and he is most generous."

He paused, gesturing with his hand as if to emphasize that last.

"There are privileges that every member of the Invictus enjoy. Money, servants, Vitae: all of that comes very easily to us, from the highest Prince to the lowest new arrival, as our Covenant is old and enjoys the connections of age. Protection, too - anybody may call the Knights to come to their aid, and we have sworn to do so or die trying. It is truly a wonderful way to exist, knowing that you will be comfortable, protected, and have good works to do in a society that values you for what you offer and rewards you accordingly in a tangible way. These are the benefits of power, Mr. Durand, and even the newest Kindred pledging to join the First Estate has the power to build the Covenant and themselves up to new heights by leveraging the skills they have. Even an artist, such as yourself, has an important place within Society, to bring culture to our Requiems. Through this ordered, cultured way of existing, we provide structure for ourselves, stave off the Beast, and improve Kindred society as a whole."

He chuckled.

"I did promise I was an expert on temporal matters, did I not?"

Julian grinned at the joke, taking a small puff of his cigar before speaking, letting the smoke drift into cold, dead lungs. "Indeed you did, and you've presented a very compelling image, Priscus Baldwin, and given me quite a lot to think about..."

He paused for a moment, trying to assemble his thoughts. Honesty could be dangerous, and while the atmosphere felt a little more relaxed; the Curse born of Sir Baldwin did no favors to a man's frayed nerves. Nevertheless, the Haunt decided to speak with blunt candor, and there was a light flickering behind his eyes as he rested his dread gaze on the Knight before him.

"To be honest, I'm a little torn. On one hand, I don't want to seem whimsical or over-eager; on the other hand, I'd kinda like to ask you how you sign up" he remarked cheerfully, the grin still on his lips "I mentioned that my Requiem has left me rather more concerned with the aforementioned temporal issues. With that noted, the Invictus sounds almost a little too good to be true. If you don't mind me asking, what price do its members pay for such privileges?" he asked, his tone friendly but coloured by a polite undertone.

The pitch had been excellent, and he couldn't help but wonder if Baldwin had spent his mortal years selling property or used cars. It was informative, but enticing all the same; hooks had been baited seemingly with the young Haunt in mind. He'd rejoiced inwardly at the notion of a meritocracy; and the repeated reference to new arrivals seemed to contain an invitation to inquire further. He wasn't sure if they were looking for fresh blood, or whether his Priscus had assessed him as suitable or not in any case. But if it was half as good as it sounded, Julian wanted a slice of the pie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 2

You do not have permission to view the list of names.