Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Nolan and Josephine

THREADID
    S
    Shepard

The insistence on being called by first name struck Nolan as odd given the general formality of the Domain, but he didn't press the issue.

"Thank you Josephine ." He took a seat next to her.

Numerous questions floated through his mind. So many things had been said or implied or NOT said about the Lancea Sanctum since Nolan's arrival that made him afraid to ask. Still, it had to be done. "Admittedly, I've been distracted by the trouble of settling in to a new city. I should have made contact a few weeks ago. Thus far, all the information I have had on the Lance has been secondhand. " A hand gestures towards the rest of court, landing on no one in particular. "Michael Travis mentioned himself as well as you and a Father Galilei as being among the faithful. Though, I've heard nothing of leadership nor operations. Can you tell me a bit more of the status of the Church?"

Genuine concern radiated in the Haunt's voice. There were city politics and clan politics, but this was far more important. Nolan's life was the Lancea Sanctum. It was what gave Purpose to the prospect of eternal unlife. He had to finally know the spiritual lay of the land. He needed it.

PRE

"Well, to be frank, that is because there is no leadership, nor are there operations," Josephine replied dryly. "The former Bishop of the Domain has disappeared and Father Galilei is currently in a period of secluded prayer. I, myself, have been upkeeping the Moore House, our place of Worship, and have otherwise been occupied looking into a few issues which have cropped up around the Domain. As such, our Covenant is in repose. Perhaps you, however, will be able to help us change that. Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself, and your thoughts on the Devil?"

There was a snap as Josephine flicked the leather cover of her notebook closed and a click as her pen was capped and then disappeared into her seal skin coat pocket.

3. Likes Yumyumcrow, West, Brownlee liked this post
    S
    Shepard

It was much as Nolan had feared. There was no covenant. Just adherents. Still it was progress to know, and gave the opportunity for a future.

"I am from Birmingham originally. I served as a lay priest for a quarter century and was preparing for anointment shortly before leaving. There was a political uprising that destroyed the Church. More recently I have been traveling and ultimately settled here. I've been blessed with Dark Miracles and was raised on the Monachal Creed. My sire ensured that I was trained in Latin, religious history, and a rudimentary understanding of the unholy forces at work within Damnation."

The Haunt's face turned a bit stony at her last question. "As for the Devil...he reigns as much as in Hell as he does on Earth. We were chosen to combat his worldly presence. Every sin is just a facet of the Devil on Earth. As beings made of sin we are uniquely suited to fulfill God's Purpose; to vanquish Devil's corruption on Kine even at the cost of our own immortal souls. We are at war with him, though, in my experience it is better to think of the Devil as a force within the world rather than a being outside of it. I've yet to meet one of the Sanctified who could travel to Hell and vanquish the Fallen One in his prison. In this world the war is much simpler. We purge the Devil from those Sheep that can be saved, and cull from the flock those which cannot. Personifying the Apex Predator is how we perform this duty." It was an unfortunate reality. Some people could be saved, others simply had to be put down.

"And what of you Josephine? I'd ask the same questions of you."

PRE

"Ah, so you're that type of Monachal devotee," Josephine replied, her smile turning bleak. "It would be fascinating, except I suppose it does fit your geographical roots. The South is rarely what many would describe to be...in favor of the minority. But, never mind that. You had returned my question. I shall answer, but before I do, allow me to present an alternate interpretation, merely for the purpose of conversation. Hypotheticals are quite fun, don't you think? I could use a bit of fun tonight, so thank you for humoring me.

"Now then, let us begin with Felix Culpa. The fortunate fall. It is a theory which states that God intended for Mankind to fall from grace, for we could not fully appreciate the bounty of God's creation until we had known evil, and terror, and pain. It was only through punishment that Humanity could grow to learn the true joy and blessedness of God's love, and it was only through experiencing evil and temptation, and then turning from it, that Mankind could truly express sincere love and worship of God and his Creation. Yet, in order for Mankind to fall, we needed two things. Free will, and an Adversary. An opposing force. Such is Satan.

"Indeed, consider Satan. He was an angel. A being which is not supposed to be possessing of free will, at least in some belief systems. But, let us assume that Satan, and all his followers, were gifted free will. God, being Omniscient, knew that such a gift might cause them to grow proud and reject his rule, and that after they had been punished, they might turn to his other creations and attempt to befoul them out of spite and vengeance. Yet, that would still serve God's purpose, for that would allow mankind to truly know the goodness of creation, knowledge which could only be lent by it's counterpoint. So, whether or not Satan or the other Fallen had free will, they are still unable to escape being instruments of God's plan. The Lord allows evil, allows Satan, to exist, and God does this because it further His plan.

"Correspondingly, look at us. What is our purpose, Nolan? We are Holy Monsters. Agents of God, yet we weild evil as our instrument to groom the faithful. Who does that sound like? Some say that sounds exactly like Satan. They believe that our purposes are aligned. We are meant to do evil, to punish, like Hell, those who are unfaithful, and to confirm the goodness of God for the faithful through our unrighteous acts. There is even a hint of evidence, supported by a faction of your Creed, nonetheless, which believes that Satan was Longinus' father. In Malediction 1:20, Longinus describes what he knows of his Father, a Dark Man who appeared to his mother in a dream,"
    Josephine explained, her voice soft and sweet. "Certain Monachal followers then point to Livia, and how she shares parallels with Mary, and one such parallel would be Satan visiting Livia just as Gabriel visited Mary. Such would suggest that our prophet, himself, was a spawn of Satan. Why might that be? Some would say it is because we serve the same purpose. We do the same work as the Devil.

"Now, what would your response be, to those who purport such an argument, were you to meet one?"
    she queried, her lips set in a pleasant smile.

6. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post
    S
    Shepard

A smile crept across Nolan's face. "You make it sound as if the position you've presented and the one I presented were mutually exclusive."

"If you believe in an omniscient God then you know that free will is an illusion. It is merely the way we experience God's plan. The Devil, Longinus, Livia, mankind, you, me. We all have a part to play in His design. Regardless, we are soldiers. We have a Purpose to fulfill regardless of God's decision to let evil endure. A duty laid out in the Testament to combat sin the world even as we embody it."
    Nolan shrugs. "Don't take this is some blind southern acceptance of contradiction. Too often we shy away from dissent and differing opinions, but," The Haunt's eyes truly turned to examine the room. "I'd rather the complexities, contradictions, and uncertainties within our theology be debated in private."

"Besides we can be more thorough within Moore House. This is a topic that should be discussed in the Church more frequently. It is only through such exercises that we truly appreciate our Faith. Though I'd hope the comparisons between Livia and Mary would not run too deep with any in this congregation."
    Nolan seriously doubted there were any heretics within the Domain, and if there were.....well they wouldn't be part of his Church.

Josephine intrigued him though. She had the mind of a philosopher, or perhaps he gave her too much credit. Maybe she just enjoyed a position of being a Devil's Advocate.

"I disagree, actually. Knowing all possible iterations of the future does not necessarily mean that all is predestined. It just means all is foreseen. Free Will does not cease to exist just because every possible iteration of decision is being observed. But, alas, I shall now cease to debate, as per your request," the Ventrue promised.

"I am also quite impressed with your response. You are most correct on the point that all such beliefs are Sanctified, and serve his purpose. Except, of course, those dealing with Livia. If you truly follow the parallelism then it would follow that, just as Mary is important in Christianity, Livia is not when it comes to us. And I would not worry about any contradicting that belief, amongst us. Father Galilei is practically rabid when it comes to rooting such things out."

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.