Ended
Watch

Early Afternoon Coffee

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    S
    Saeyer

Scarf snugged up around her throat, Ava stepped from Marginalina into the early afternoon light like a mole surfacing briefly after a long time tunneling. Recently it felt like her life involved simply moving through a series of dim, narrow rooms: home to work, work to hollow, hollow to home, repeat ad nauseam, ad infinitum. The time between rooms was broken up by driving, walking, eating, but those moments seemed to slip by without appreciation, her thoughts always elsewhere. Following a few seconds of scowling at the sky, eyes all but disappearing between her lowered brows and scrunched cheeks, she forced her face to soften. Hands tucked into coat pockets, she moved down the street at a languid pace, reacclimating to the outdoors.

It wasn't so much that she disliked the spaces she found herself in day after day, but the monotony was wearing on her. It felt like she hadn't really done anything recently, aside from plenty of reading, writing, and more than enough aimless contemplation; not much explicitly fun, or sociable. While the meetings she sometimes took in the store after hours or in the Autumn Commons could be both of those things, they were also conducted with a set purpose- nobody involved was there simply for the joy of it. And honestly she sort of missed the sun, even the winter sun, as snide as it could be.

There were people she could call, but, frankly speaking, she didn't quite have the energy to organize anything at the moment. Stepping into a cafe several blocks from where she had begun, the Nix loosened the scarf and ordered herself a modest snack before taking a seat at the bar that ran along the window. Pointedly not pulling the book from her bag, she settled onto the tall stool with a sigh of relief. Now was just some time for doing nothing, for having a hot drink and people watching and eavesdropping on other people's conversations. Just a simple, still moment.

Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

The way the wind had picked up as Winter grew closer, the blurring of Seasons that was always an interesting point of transition for anyone who watched the way the world worked. In Terri's mind, it was in that moment where power was shared, whether Winter to Spring, Spring to Summer, Summer to Autumn, or as was now happening, that kept the Gentry off-balance, confused at the sharing of control. It was a time were Terri grew excited, even if it was the waning period for the Court of Fear, when Sorrow took hold once more.

Today, the Beast had been getting some last minute presents for people. She liked to be charitable at Christmas and tended to spend more than she should for her friends. Deciding it was time for a break, Terri was passing the coffee shop when she noted the magnetic yet still unsettling aura of Ava, the Scrivener of the Leaden Mirror. With a smile, Terri pushed open the door and smiled as she approached where the Nix was seated.

"Hey Ava! Mind if I join you?" she chirped politely, the scent of baking bread settling around her. In her hands were several shopping bags, which she carefully lowered to the floor, relieved to give her hands a rest.

Outfit
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)
    Presence 4 (Friendly)|Striking Looks 2 (Petite & Cute)

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The chill didn't bother him. Neither did the greyness of the day, that went far beyond a cloudy sky and deep into empty streets and locked homes. One would think that his jacket, ripped to pieces as it was, as was everything from his jeans to his shirt, ravaged mercilessly by the elements ever since he had gone back to the wild life, would provide virtually no protection against the coming winter cold. And truth be told, it didn't, but he was willing to welcome any sensation that would break the now ever-present numbness and monotony of his life. Even Sorrow. Meaning I'm practically as whiny and pathetic as a Winter, doesn't it? Great.

That morning, just like the one before and the one before that and every morning since he had arrived to Sacramento, he had slept in a back-alley that was only ever visited by street dogs not unlike himself. No one would look for him there, not the Others, not the Hell's Angels, not the spooks. It was hardly a fun place to be in, though. He was walking aimlessly through the streets of California when he came across the coffee shop. He wasn't sure what caught his attention, if the memories the place brought or the two Beasts he caught a glimpse of through the window. But hey, he was already lazing around. Might as well do it inside. They did seem to be Autumn Courtiers, and he guessed he had postponed a formal introduction for long enough.

It was warmer inside. He might have even been tempted to get some coffee for himself, if he had the money. Joy of joys, I can't even get drunk anymore. So he wen't directly for the other 'lings, hands resting harmlessly in the pockets of his camo jacket. Why does it smell like wet bread?

"I don't believe we've met." He tilted his head as a form of greeting. "Nathan Griffin. At your service."

He stood at a respectful (by his estimation) distance of their table.

S
    Saeyer

Hands wrapped around a large mug, the Nix looked up in surprise at the sound of Terri's voice, the strong scent of the other Beast's mantle reaching her belatedly. "Terri! Please do." Shuffling in her own seat, for no reason other than an automatic reaction to a need to 'make space', she settled down after a moment and flashed a broad, lopsided smile. "Done with your holiday shopping?" she asked, nodding to the bags. "I've been bad this year, haven't even started yet."

For a moment she didn't register that the male voice she heard was speaking to them, glancing around briefly just out of curiosity. At the realization that he was, in fact, addressing them, and another Lost to boot, her smile widened to vaguely disquieting proportions. "Afternoon, Nathan. Please, pull up a chair. I'm Ava." While she was far from trusting of any old unpledged Lost that rolled through, the faint touch of his Autumn Mantle meant they had at least one thing in common.

Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

Ava's voice always caught Terri's attention, perhaps moreso than her appearance. It had a quality to it that was simply tough to ignore. "Thanks!" Terri replied, easily sliding onto the adjacent stool, her feet dangling almost naturally, like she belonged off the ground. The bushy tail stuck out behind her acting as a balance.

"Oh, you know. I just keep remembering things I have to get," the Legate chuckled, placing her phone down on the surface before pushing her hair back behind her ear-tufts. "Christmas is only round the corner, Ava!" she chuckled. "Actually, I'm glad I ran into you. I picked something up for Mal that I could do with your opinion on."

Just as the petite Beast was about to go shopping bag delving, the man's voice interrupted her, causing Terri to sit back up and turn to him. He had a subtle Mantle but the cool breeze told her all she needed to know. Terri offered a friendly grin and a little wave.

"Nice to meet you, Nathan. I'm Terri. You new in town?"
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

There were few things more wonderful than going for a stroll around town. In any season except this. The harsh gusts of winter air had transformed such a liberating and enjoyable activity into a terrible, soul crushing trudge, and the Wasp's spirit was broken, though she would not admit it. She fled from the cold, darting into the nearest haven of warmth she could find. Shivering, hugging her cane close to her as though it might provide some relief from the insidious chill, Coco hurried up to the counter and asked (not pleaded, certainly) for any beverage that might be warm. That is, as long as it was a caffθ macchiato. Standards could not be abandoned, even in the face of icy adversity!

It was only once she had her beverage, her delicious savoir and herald of warmth, that she sought out a table, and lo and behold! She was not alone this day!

"Huzzah!" Coco chirped, prancing over to the table the changelings were sharing. "Terri! Ava! How delightful it is to see you both! We haven't spoken in ages! We simply must chat. You have no choice, I'm afraid, I must infringe upon you. How are you both? You look so well! And who is this? An amour?" she asked with a teasing grin, finally turning her attention to the predatory man seated with them.
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Fishface's (Ava's, he rectified himself) fangs looked even more disturbing than his own, he had to admit. Probably something to do with them not being supposed to ever see the light of day. He answered by displaying his own fangs in a smile that was probably friendly.

"Thank you."

He did as she told him and pulled up the nearest chair. When was the last time he felt this comfy? Not the Summer club; that was a mess. Squirrel soon introduced herself too. This had to be the warmest welcome he had gotten from any of the locals, no pun intended. Not that he was about to hold it against them.

"Yeah, new. Only been here for about a month or so. Though truth be told I haven't been counting." He took a look at the mess of shopping backs next to the table, amused. "How are the holidays going?"

Only then something hit him. He quickly raised his gaze to Squirrel's face. Suddenly he was very curious.

"You said your name was Terri? I was told a Terri Nutkins might be able to tell me what to do with myself around these parts." To his credit, he didn't laugh when saying the name. He really, really wanted to.

Then that other girl arrived. Not an Autumn. Very cheerful, wasn't she? And unless she was being sarcastic, it seemed she liked big words. Good God, she sounds like she just drank enough caffeine to kill a water buffalo. Those were the thoughts that quickly raced through his head, confused as he was at Queen Bee's bombastic excitement. She had pranced to their table, for fuck's sake! Was she being sarcastic? He shot a side glance at Ava and Terri, the question painted on his face. I really need to get out more. This is probably standard 'ling behavior.

"Amour?" He laughed. "That would be awfully premature." Hypocrite. "I'm Nathan. New arrival. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss...?"

Why did he have the irritating habit of elevating his diction (Fuck.) of talking all fancy when other people went posh around him? Probably because he took it like a challenge, and it annoyed him when others assumed he was stupid. He should really get around to trying to be more humble. Or not; it was just as well.

8. Likes Cayce liked this post
    S
    Saeyer

As much as the prospect of Terri giving Mal a Christmas present piqued her curiosity, she hadn't realized they were close enough for gift-giving, it seemed wise to focus the bulk of her attention on their new companion. Or, companions, as fate would have it. The sight of the Spring Wasp sent a pang through the Nix, as she found she both liked and disliked the Fairest in somewhat equal measure. Her merits were irrefutable, and yet there was something in her manner that made the fish-woman want to pull out her hair. Her own hair.

C'est la vie.

She so wanted to meet the questioning look Nathan was sending their way, but knew without a doubt she would let a Look slip, and so kept her eyes on Coco. "Pull up a chair, Coco." The Scrivener's warm tone held a hint of resigned amusement, but her dark eyes were smiling. If ever she had felt her daily grind was getting dull, she'd certainly found the right group to rectify that.

"I've been well, but I've spent a lot of time squinting at things recently. Books, bills, you name it. So, if you catch me squinting at you, let me know. But, before I get carried away, Nathan." Ava turned to look at the, she now realized, fairly handsome man at the table. "Can we get you something warm to drink, by way of welcome to Sacramento? My treat." She was by no means flush with cash, but she was better off than when she first came to the city, and what were a few dollars on coffee when it brought conversation.

Description

PRE

"You were told correctly, Nathan," Terri replied, offering the rugged Beast a grin. "If there's anything you need, you can call on me. Although, I can get pretty annoying."

Speaking of annoying...."Coco! Merry Christmas to you." Perhaps Terri and Ava were telepathic, because they seemed to share a common paradox when it came to Spring's Claviger.

"Oh, I'll join you, Ava. I could do with a nutty latte myself," she joked, slipping from the stool with practiced ease. "Coco, you want something?" Terri offered, cocking her head as she addressed the OTT Fairest.

Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

"Oh, thank you! That's so kind, but I have a beverage," Coco replied to Terri, after taking a seat, raising her coffee concoction with a slightly trembling hand. It made a stop at her mouth on the way back to it's little saucer, but then she turned to the male amongst them. "A pleasure to meet you, Nathan. I'm Cosima Tascioni, oft known as Coco, at your service. And never call me Miss, for I never miss," she explained, with a beaming smile.

"Oh, and never fear, Ava," she added, turning just so to face the Nix. "I do not mind squinting in the slightest! You may squint as you will, and I would be quite honored if it happened to be in my direction."
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

12. Likes Origins, Gwydden, Forn Clakes liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.